Mail/News/Browser for 2.1 68000 Amiga?

Jill Howe

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Can anybody please suggest a good (filtering?) mail program that is free
or cheap that will run on a 68000 Amiga running 2.1? I don't have MUI or
anything like that.

A News reader that will run on the same machine would also be useful.
Maybe there's a program out there that does both?

Finally, I don't suppose there's a Browser (besides Lynx) that will run on
this 68000 (ECS) machine, is there? And I think my host only allows SLIP.
Any suggestions for dealing with that? (I don't have a lot of money)

Jill

PS Please cc: me your reply. Our news system is weak.

Mike Leavitt

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Microdot II is a decent newsreader and emailer and YAM an excellant
mailer for the Amiga. Both will run in 2.04 dos on a 68000, but both
require MUI. All three programs can be downloaded via linx form
Aminet for free. Use Miami, also free, as your TCP stack. YAM is
freeware, MDII is free and beta, but fairly stable. MUI and Miami are
shareware, but the demos are functional--MUI very functional, Miami
has a one hour timelimit in the Demo.

There is an old, unstable version of AMosaic that runs on 2.04, but
requires AmiTCP, which is hard to configure, but free--has no builtin
dialer for instance.

Finali Dev promises WebCruzer will run on 2.04, but it was supposed to
be out in Nov--now Feb or March. Don't know about 68000--think it
will require a 68020 or better, but 68020 accellerators for the A2000
are cheap--get a 68030 though if possible.

--
Mike Leavitt ac...@lafn.org * team Amiga *

Matthew R. Demicco

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98
to Jill Howe

> Finally, I don't suppose there's a Browser (besides Lynx) that will run on
> this 68000 (ECS) machine, is there? And I think my host only allows SLIP.
> Any suggestions for dealing with that? (I don't have a lot of money)

I believe there is a version of Mosaic that will run on 2.1. I never did
get my 3000 on the network, so I didn't ever get to try it, but one
place to look for it would be:

http://www.aminet.net/

--
| mailto:armi...@rpi.edu AKA Matthew R. Demicco |