Miami Null-Modem TCP connection

Richard Singles

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

Hi there, to those brave souls still with us....

Does anyone have any information or experience in establishing a
serial networking connection between two Amigas using Miami? Is
this even possible? I've seen hints here and there indicating
that it might be, but so far have not been able to get two
machines communicating with any network protocal.

These two machines are an accelerated B2000 (see sig) and a GVP
030-powered A1200. I've a GVP I/O Extender on the A2K but only
the stock serial on the 1200, so I realize there is a serial speed
limitation. To this point however, I have been able to use a
null-modem connection to transfer files back and forth (Term 4.7c).
Since I've been reaching speeds up to 38.4K, I know the wiring is
good.

What I really want to have is some kind of semi-transparent connection
to the internet for my A1200 and A2K at the same time. Since I have
only one 33.6K modem I'd like to leave that on one of my A2K's serial
ports, and then have the A1200 connected to one of the other serial
ports (and be able to access the 'net from both machines). I guess
the proper terminology is that I'd like to use the A2K as a gateway
or host, for the A1200.

Tell me, am I crazy or is technically possible?

Rick
|Real Life:Richard Singles 8^ş Internet Only:pack...@netnet.net |
|ECS B2000, OS3.1, GVP 33MHz 68040-32MB GuruROM, A1010, SS 3.7 Reg|
|Dual 329Mb Maxtors, ??Mb ZIP, 33.6K ZOOM V.34 HAM! N9NUW 2m/70cm|
...Software sings and Hardware hears.... The Church

Martin Bertelsmann

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97
to Richard Singles

Hi Richard,

Richard Singles wrote:

> Hi there, to those brave souls still with us....
>
> Does anyone have any information or experience in establishing a
> serial networking connection between two Amigas using Miami? Is
> this even possible? I've seen hints here and there indicating
> that it might be, but so far have not been able to get two
> machines communicating with any network protocal.

Well, it is at least possible with AmiTCP but it should also be possible
with Miami. Be sure to tell the progs to use nullmodem instead of modem.

> These two machines are an accelerated B2000 (see sig) and a GVP
> 030-powered A1200. I've a GVP I/O Extender on the A2K but only
> the stock serial on the 1200, so I realize there is a serial speed
> limitation. To this point however, I have been able to use a
> null-modem connection to transfer files back and forth (Term 4.7c).
> Since I've been reaching speeds up to 38.4K, I know the wiring is
> good.
>
> What I really want to have is some kind of semi-transparent connection
> to the internet for my A1200 and A2K at the same time. Since I have
> only one 33.6K modem I'd like to leave that on one of my A2K's serial
> ports, and then have the A1200 connected to one of the other serial
> ports (and be able to access the 'net from both machines). I guess
> the proper terminology is that I'd like to use the A2K as a gateway
> or host, for the A1200.

Well, the gateway function is included in the commercial version of
AmiTCP (4.3). AFAIK Miami is not able to do this yet, but someone said
that it will be included in future versions.
In AmiTCP you just have to make config files for both the modem-dialup
and the nullmodem connection, on the A1200 use the A2000 as gateway and
enter "gateway=yes" in amitcp:db/amitcp.conf. AFAIK gatewaying is not
possible in the demo version available from aminet.

> Tell me, am I crazy or is technically possible?

It is technically possible, or else the internet wouldnt work at all.
It is also possible on an amiga but i highly recommend AmiTCP for that
and not Miami.

> Rick

Ciao

Martin

--
__
Amiga /// | Martin Bertelsmann | A4000T, 38MB RAM

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

On 04-Dec-97 05:28:37, Richard Singles wrote the following about "Miami Null-Modem TCP connection":

> I guess
> the proper terminology is that I'd like to use the A2K as a gateway
> or host, for the A1200.

> Tell me, am I crazy or is technically possible?

That's not possible with Miami. You'll have to use AmiTCP/IP or INET225.

Regards,

/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻTŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
| Rask Ingemann Lambertsen | postm...@rask.nospam.kampsax.k-net.dk |
| Registered Phase5 developer | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/ |
| A4604e, 44 MB, 3 GB, Ariadne | "ThrustMe" on XPilot and EFnet IRC |
| 03h:42m SLEEP? I'm a programmer! |

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

On 04-Dec-97 15:12:04, Martin Bertelsmann wrote the following about "Re: Miami Null-Modem TCP connection":

> In AmiTCP you just have to make config files for both the modem-dialup
> and the nullmodem connection, on the A1200 use the A2000 as gateway and
> enter "gateway=yes" in amitcp:db/amitcp.conf. AFAIK gatewaying is not
> possible in the demo version available from aminet.

It is.

Regards,

/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻTŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
| Rask Ingemann Lambertsen | postm...@rask.nospam.kampsax.k-net.dk |
| Registered Phase5 developer | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/ |
| A4604e, 44 MB, 3 GB, Ariadne | "ThrustMe" on XPilot and EFnet IRC |

| If you wake up Sleepy & Grumpy, you must be Snow White. |