I kind of wish the Amiga had been my first PC

Silver Slimer

Aug 8, 2014, 11:33:24 AM8/8/14
Hey guys,

Quick background. Before buying my first real PC in 1991, I had only
owned a TI994/A which was used explicitly for gaming. At the age of 12
in 1991, I wanted to buy a video camera and potentially create a bunch
of movies but my father suggested that a computer would be a better
choice. Knowing absolutely nothing about computers, I set out to the
local Compucentre and looked at the machines. I still kind of remember
what was available:

1) An IBM PS/1 286 running at 10MHz with a 30MB HD and a 2400 baud modem
2) A Mac Plus (I believe) which had the small B&W screen
3) A Commodore Amiga 500 (I believe)
4) An Atari 1040ST (I believe)

I ended up getting the IBM because I assumed, like a lot of people, that
you couldn't go wrong with that brand. Looking back, I think I might
have been happier with the Amiga despite the fact that I learned most of
what I know today on the IBM. In my position, what would you have taken?
Take into consideration that the computer with a 24-pin dot matrix
printer cost $2,500 CDN at the time.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

Clocky

Aug 9, 2014, 3:57:35 AM8/9/14
For video and multimedia work, in fact anything creative, the Amiga
should have been the obvious choice.

Unfortunately a lot of people missed an opportunity to express their
creative side simply because they ended up with a dull whitegood in the
PC, the poor and barely useful cousin to the Amiga in the ST, or a basic
word processor in the Mac.

Silver Slimer

Aug 9, 2014, 12:30:43 PM8/9/14
Thanks for the answer, I was assuming that I would have to wait years to
get one. :) Take into consideration that it was a choice between a video
camera and a computer but not both. My family was never very wealthy so
the mere idea of buying a computer was a pretty big deal.

The year in question though, 1991, is very important. The 286 lasted me
until the beginning of 1994 (even though it showed its age fairly
quickly) simply because as a teenager, I had no money to replace it. I
managed to eventually make a smart trade for a 386SX-16. Something tells
me that had I purchased an Amiga, even if it were an Amiga 500 (which by
then would be six year-old technology), I would have been able to hold
onto it comfortably until at least 1995. What I'm wondering though is
approximately how much the Amiga cost in 1991 with a 24-pin dot matrix
printer, 30MB HD and 2400 or higher baud modem. The modem is actually
quite important because without this specific technology, most of what I
learned about computing would never have happened.

Ryan P.

Sep 6, 2014, 3:28:28 AM9/6/14
On 8/9/2014 11:30 AM, Silver Slimer wrote:

> The year in question though, 1991, is very important. The 286 lasted me
> until the beginning of 1994 (even though it showed its age fairly
> quickly) simply because as a teenager, I had no money to replace it. I
> managed to eventually make a smart trade for a 386SX-16. Something tells
> me that had I purchased an Amiga, even if it were an Amiga 500 (which by
> then would be six year-old technology), I would have been able to hold
> onto it comfortably until at least 1995. What I'm wondering though is
> approximately how much the Amiga cost in 1991 with a 24-pin dot matrix
> printer, 30MB HD and 2400 or higher baud modem. The modem is actually
> quite important because without this specific technology, most of what I
> learned about computing would never have happened.

Either $299 or $399 for the A500 depending on the package, $50 for a
modem (I had a 2400bps Supra)... HD in 1991, would have been SCSI.
Probably another $200-$400 for a 20 or 30MB HDD.

No idea about the printer... The computer/HD/Modem package would have
ran you $700-900...

Wild guesses. I remember dreaming about being able to own an HD when I
first got my A500. I was excited when I got the external high density
3.5" floppy drive!

---

axlq

Sep 28, 2014, 11:29:21 PM9/28/14
In article <ls5ibm$atp$1...@dont-email.me>, Silver Slimer <ndr@slvrlps.c> wrote:
>... had I purchased an Amiga, even if it were an Amiga 500 (which by
>then would be six year-old technology), I would have been able to hold
>onto it comfortably until at least 1995.

1995? Believe it or not, my Amiga 1000 was my primary home computer
until about the year 2001. I was doing a lot of software development
work on it until then.

-A

Slimer

Jul 8, 2015, 12:11:55 PM7/8/15
On Sat, 06 Sep 2014 03:28:28 -0400, Ryan P. <rdelet...@wi.rr.comm>
wrote:
Thanks for the answer. I kind of gave up on this newsgroup when I didn't
get an immediate answer and I'm happy to see that a reply was eventually
given. So considering my dad paid $2,500 for the 286-10 with 640x480
colour VGA monitor, 30MB HD, 2400 BPS modem and 24-pin dot matrix printer,
I would likely have been able to get the same from the A500 at half the
cost. On the other hand, I would have been abandoned fairly quickly by the
company as a result of Commodore's demise... still, it probably would have
been worth it.

I know that AmigaOne machines are being sold nowadays for anyone who is
still very attached to the Amiga name. I'm wondering if any of you have
used them and whether you enjoyed the experience.

--
Slimer
Proud "Wintroll"

Slimer

Jul 8, 2015, 12:12:29 PM7/8/15
So I probably would have been better served by the Amiga after all.

--
Slimer
Proud "Wintroll"

norabel...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2015, 10:11:31 PM7/29/15
If you desperately need an honest and real death spell caster who can help you cast a perfect death spell on anyone then contact this great death spell caster called Dr Ogudu . He saved my marriage when he helped me cast a death spell on the lady that almost took my husband completely away from me and the kids. just within 24hours after the casting the bitch died in her sleeping bed.You too can try this man also, drogud...@gmail.com
if you need help to bring back your ex lover kindly contact him via email: drogud...@gmail.com. And i promise you that your lover will definitely be back to you.
(1)If you want your ex back.
(2)if you always have bad dreams.
(3)if You want to be promoted in your office or if you have a place to work and you need help
(5)If you want a child.
(6)You want to be rich.

Contact him today on drogud...@gmail.com he will help you out

A.M

Aug 15, 2015, 3:21:48 PM8/15/15
What if I want to get all of my exes to come back just for one night in
what would be the greatest orgy of all-time?

--
A.M

Hillary for Prison 2016!!

peter.si...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2017, 10:40:12 PM2/24/17
Fake news..

Md Azhar

Aug 17, 2023, 1:48:04 AM8/17/23
Dear Hiring Manager,

Upon learning about the Sales Manager posting with your esteemed organization, I was eager to contact you with my interest. When reviewing the job description, I was excited to see how well my experience aligns with your company's needs and position requirements. From reading your company's website, I feel your core mission and culture suit what I offer as a professional.

As an adept Sales Manager, I have a well-rounded skill set in sales operation and honed talents in lead generation and marketing, making me an ideal fit for the Sales Manager position. Further, I am a recognized expert in communication and a communicative collaborator. My previous roles have strengthened my capabilities in customer service and leadership, including a keen attention to detail and accuracy.

Your organization's commitment to excellence and its dedication to fostering a positive and collaborative work environment deeply resonate with my values. I am confident that being a part of such a dynamic team will not only enhance my professional growth but also allow me to make meaningful contributions to the success and reputation of the organization.

I have attached my updated resume for your review, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss my candidacy in more detail during an interview.

Sincerely,

Syed Dilnawaz Ahmad

Abu baker al Siddique Road

Deira, Dubai