Radio 1 Chip-Shop.

Niall Tracey

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
A car-boot sale trawl has landed in my lap a Radio 1 Chip Shop Basicode 2+
loader tape with routines for C64, vic20, apple2, PET, BBC A/B, Electron,
Sharp MZ80A, MZ80K, Oric/Atmos, TRS/Videogenie and ZX Spectrum 48k.

(OK, so no amstrad, but some of you may be able to help me out here.
Please, bear with me...)

It was just the tape, and the obscure early eighties DJ's voice kept
referring me to the handbook. I haven't loaded the loaders on any of my
compatible machines yet, so haven't been able to test the demo program.
Can anyone who was about in those 'good old days' of radio computer games
tell me what this program can cope with, ie what commands it will accept
if I wanted to write portable code (which would rely on other people
having it of course, but I'm sure it will magically appear on the web at
some point) to post on the web.

Much appreciated (just a little too young to know anything about it...)

Niall Tracey
________________
A X o
/</ \>
/ \ /\
___/ /___\ \___

Your thoughts betray you...

Jeff Braine

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Niall Tracey wrote:

> A car-boot sale trawl has landed in my lap a Radio 1 Chip Shop Basicode 2+
> loader tape with routines for C64, vic20, apple2, PET, BBC A/B, Electron,
> Sharp MZ80A, MZ80K, Oric/Atmos, TRS/Videogenie and ZX Spectrum 48k.
>
> (OK, so no amstrad, but some of you may be able to help me out here.
> Please, bear with me...)

It was WAY before Amstrad. Think there was a ZX81 routine around too
(could be wrong)

> It was just the tape, and the obscure early eighties DJ's voice kept
> referring me to the handbook. I haven't loaded the loaders on any of my
> compatible machines yet, so haven't been able to test the demo program.
> Can anyone who was about in those 'good old days' of radio computer games
> tell me what this program can cope with, ie what commands it will accept
> if I wanted to write portable code (which would rely on other people
> having it of course, but I'm sure it will magically appear on the web at
> some point) to post on the web.

All it did was save whatever files you wanted onto tape in a common
format so that all the machines you listed could read it. It wasn't
a replacement for BASIC or anything, just the load and save routines.

I vaguely remember trying to use it to port something from a Spectrum to
a BBC (would have required a big rewrite!!), but with no success.

--
Jeff Braine
Gecko Studios, Carina, Queensland, Australia

Sabre Wulf PC development page: http://www.uq.net.au/~zzjbrain