What are the best games around at the moment?

Simon Burrows

Oct 30, 1992, 11:24:39 AM10/30/92
What do people think are the best Archimedes games around at the moment?
I am thinking primarily of new games, such as those launched at the BBC
Acorn User Show.

I was not particularly impressed with the latest offerings (although I am
not a major games player) - the games from Krysalis (Populous, Turbo Challenge
II, Omar Sharif's Bridge) and Fourth Dimension (Galactic Dan & Chopper Force)
do not strike me as being anything special.

My opinion is that the best new release is Fervour, from Clares. The strength
of this game is that the basic principles are simple, the implementation
excellent and it is highly addictive. I introduced a friend's 6 year old
son to the game, and almost immediately he was happily playing the game,
and I too found it easy to play yet very addictive (don't make the obvious
observation :-)). It's the sort of game which will probably appeal to
everyone, and would probably make a great stocking filler.

What games have I missed out? Which ones have I written off as "nothing
special" when they are actually wonderful? Let's have a change from the
current flame wars...they can get very tedious indeed.

Simon.
Simon Burrows s...@cs.nott.ac.uk psy...@unicorn.nott.ac.uk +44 533 712030

Andrew Fox - Sun UK - Answer centre

Oct 30, 1992, 4:55:44 AM10/30/92
In article 11604 s...@cs.nott.ac.uk (Simon Burrows) writes:

>hat do people think are the best Archimedes games around at the moment?
>I am thinking primarily of new games, such as those launched at the BBC
>Acorn User Show.

>I was not particularly impressed with the latest offerings (although I am
>not a major games player) - the games from Krysalis (Populous, Turbo Challenge
>II, Omar Sharif's Bridge) and Fourth Dimension (Galactic Dan & Chopper Force)
>do not strike me as being anything special.

I am inclined to agree with you there, Simon. None of the games were really showing
us anything new. Lotus is O.K. , but nothing stunning. I personally preferred Lotus I,
on the A**ga, much more fun, especially two player. The sense of competition against
the second player just isn't there in Lotus II.

Galactic Dan is very similar to a ShareWare game on the P.C. called Wolfenstein 3D.
If you want to see an addictive game with some spot on sprite scaling, then look at
that. Galactic Dan pales into insignificance next to Wolf 3D.

>What games have I missed out? Which ones have I written off as "nothing
>special" when they are actually wonderful? Let's have a change from the
>current flame wars...they can get very tedious indeed.

One game which you have missed out, is Chaos. It's brilliant. Sort of a cross between
Asteroids, and well, Asteriods.......but with lots of extra twiddly bits.
Like rotating hexagons that split into loads of deadly homing thingies etc.
It's dead simple in concept, but really addictive. If you haven't seen it, then give
it a try.......

Cheers for now,

Andy Fox.

+-----------------------------+------------------------------------------------+
| Andrew Fox, | 'Life, don't talk to me about life.' |
| Product Support Engineer, +------------------------------------------------+
| Sun Microsystems Inc., | |
| Citygate, Sale, | Disclaimer: These opinions are mine, assuming |
| Cheshire, M33 1JF, | I can remember what I've said. |
| ENGLAND. +44 (0)61-905-4589 | |
+-----------------------------+------------------------------------------------+

Mik Davis

Nov 2, 1992, 6:00:51 AM11/2/92
: One game which you have missed out, is Chaos. It's brilliant. Sort of a cross between

: Asteroids, and well, Asteriods.......but with lots of extra twiddly bits.
: Like rotating hexagons that split into loads of deadly homing thingies etc.
: It's dead simple in concept, but really addictive. If you haven't seen it, then give
: it a try.......
:
: Andy Fox.
:
It strikes me that all the best games seem to be the simplest ones...

--
___________________________________________.
Mik Davis at Aston University, Birmingham | . . __ .
| |\/| | \ _,_ _ _
E-Mail: dav...@uhura.aston.ac.uk | | |. |_/ |_| \/ |/_'

Torben AEgidius Mogensen

Nov 2, 1992, 10:04:08 AM11/2/92
s...@cs.nott.ac.uk (Simon Burrows) writes:

>What do people think are the best Archimedes games around at the moment?
>I am thinking primarily of new games, such as those launched at the BBC
>Acorn User Show.

On a similar note, does anyone know if anyone are planning to port
Civilization to the Arc? I'm considering investing in the new PC
emulator primarily to run this game, but would much prefer it running
in native mode. (It would be real slow on the emulator).

Torben Mogensen (tor...@diku.dk)

David Seal

Nov 3, 1992, 10:52:13 AM11/3/92
In article <1992Nov2.1...@aston.ac.uk> dav...@uhura.aston.ac.uk (Mik
Davis) writes:

>[quoting Andy Fox]

>: One game which you have missed out, is Chaos. It's brilliant. Sort of a cross between
>: Asteroids, and well, Asteriods.......but with lots of extra twiddly bits.
>: Like rotating hexagons that split into loads of deadly homing thingies etc.
>: It's dead simple in concept, but really addictive. If you haven't seen it, then give
>: it a try.......
>

> It strikes me that all the best games seem to be the simplest ones...

Maybe the game designers should take a course in RISC design? :-)

David Seal
ds...@armltd.co.uk

All opinions are mine only...