HELP: Morley (HP 35470A) SCSI DAT drive

Stephen Landry

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of
any decent backup software which is compatible with the HP 35470A DAT drive
(Supplied & badged by Morley Electronics). The software supplied with the
drive, SAS 2, is painfully slow and cumbersome.

For example I recently needed to restore a crashed fileserver (approx.
830Mb). The process was started on Friday at 4.00pm and left to run over
the weekend. Upon returning on Monday morning i found the damn thing was
chugging away. This is also true if only a single file required restoring!

If anyone can help, preferably before i retire, I would be very grateful.

Hopefully, Steve.

Pierre Bernhardt

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

> I would be extremely grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of
> any decent backup software which is compatible with the HP 35470A DAT drive
> (Supplied & badged by Morley Electronics). The software supplied with the

You can test it with !TapeFS and tar. You can get both from Hensaserver.
With exabyte-scsi-streamer it works fine.

---
CosmicStars
Pierre Bernhardt

Brian Carroll

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

In article <01bc01fd$d52d4a00$bd4c95c1@default>, "Stephen Landry"

<ystalyf...@msn.com> wrote:

> I would be extremely grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of
> any decent backup software which is compatible with the HP 35470A DAT
> drive
> (Supplied & badged by Morley Electronics). The software supplied with the
> drive, SAS 2, is painfully slow and cumbersome.
>
> For example I recently needed to restore a crashed fileserver (approx.
> 830Mb). The process was started on Friday at 4.00pm and left to run over
> the weekend. Upon returning on Monday morning i found the damn thing was
> chugging away. This is also true if only a single file required restoring!

!Backup, which is one of the utilities supplied with the Power-tec
SCSI cards, might work. It certainly is a convenient and well thought
out application.

I assume from the context that you are using a Morley SCSI card which
might also benefit from the Power-tec 'PowerROM'

It would be worth phoning Alsystems about this : 01420 561111

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire br...@argonet.co.uk

Ian Molton

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

Brian Carroll <br...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> I assume from the context that you are using a Morley SCSI card which
> might also benefit from the Power-tec 'PowerROM'

> It would be worth phoning Alsystems about this : 01420 561111

Hmmm. How much is PowerRom?
Does it work on an UNCACHED Morely card?
Sounds erm different...

Mr K Parker

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

In article <n4CF...@zetnet.co.uk>, ha...@zetnet.co.uk (Ian Molton) wrote:

:> Brian Carroll <br...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

:> > I assume from the context that you are using a Morley SCSI card which
:> > might also benefit from the Power-tec 'PowerROM'

:> > It would be worth phoning Alsystems about this : 01420 561111

:> Hmmm. How much is PowerRom?

ukp39.50 plus VAT. This gives you 30 days support. For twelve months full
support and all upgrades it costs another ukp20 plus VAT.

Full facts stated before my friend Mark (of Cumana fame) tells me off :-)

:> Does it work on an UNCACHED Morely card?

Yes :-)

:> Sounds erm different...

And it works :-)

Keith

--
- - - - - - - - - Keith Parker = Print and Design Services - - - - - - - - -
+A full range of services at competitive prices using a 200Mhz Acorn RiscPC+

Ian Molton

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Mr K Parker <kei...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Hmmm. How much is PowerRom?

> ukp39.50 plus VAT.

OK. not too bad...

> This gives you 30 days support. For twelve months
> full support and all upgrades it costs another ukp20 plus VAT.

Woah! that puts the cost at 60ukp!!!!!
Or do you get free support if it doesn't work?
Why aren't upgrades cheaper? surely you could re-use eproms which get
sent back, and anyway - they don't cost THAT much!!

> Full facts stated before my friend Mark (of Cumana fame) tells me off
> :-)

>>> Does it work on an UNCACHED Morely card?

> Yes :-)

OK...

>>> Sounds erm different...

> And it works :-)

But what does it do??

> Keith

-Ian
--
Hawk Software HTTP://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/
3 kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't.

Robin Abecasis

Jan 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/20/97

Ian Molton wrote:
> Brian Carroll <br...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > I assume from the context that you are using a Morley SCSI card which
> > might also benefit from the Power-tec 'PowerROM'
> > It would be worth phoning Alsystems about this : 01420 561111
> Hmmm. How much is PowerRom?
> Does it work on an UNCACHED Morely card?
> Sounds erm different...
Try http://www.alsystems.co.uk for more info!

Robin
--
Robin Abecasis - ISP Services PTE Ltd (Singapore)
#include <standard_disclaimer.h>

Adrian John Warrick

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

Hi all

A friend has just bought a 2 Gb IDE drive for his RiscPC. He was running
RiscOS 3.5 and hence came up against the 512Mb limit but I managed to get
him going with a Bootable floppy.

I let him have my spare Morley SCSI II card and a Toshiba 4101 CD Rom drive
which simply does not work on the RiscPC, (I had problems on my old A5000
with the Tosh. and Kodak photo CDs. anyway).

The point is I need to supply him with a set of 3.6 Roms at 'reasonable'
cost. I have the Disc side of the OS from the StrongArm CD.

I also have lost the Morley telephone no. to check on the latest software
revision. does anyone know whether it works woth the RiscPC and if so the
Version Nos.

Many thanks in anticipation

Adrian

--
__ __ __ __ __ ___ _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/ \|\ ||_ | /
| || \\__/\__/| \||__ | /...Internet access for all Acorn RISC machines
___________________________/ awar...@argonet.co.uk

Mike Gregory @work

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

In <na.64ba0a4752....@argonet.co.uk>, Adrian John Warrick <awar...@argonet.co.uk> writes:

>I let him have my spare Morley SCSI II card and a Toshiba 4101 CD Rom drive
>which simply does not work on the RiscPC, (I had problems on my old A5000
>with the Tosh. and Kodak photo CDs. anyway).
:
:

>I also have lost the Morley telephone no. to check on the latest software
>revision. does anyone know whether it works woth the RiscPC and if so the
>Version Nos.

Hi Adrian,

Are you sure you let your friend have a Morley SCSI II card?
AFAIK Morley only ever made SCSI 1 cards.

I have un uncached card running in my RiscPC, with v1.17 ROM.
I believe there is a v1.19 upgrade to allow the use of >512M
partitions, but that it is unstable. I'm waiting for v1.20 :-)

Morley's phone no is 0191 257 6355
E-mail on 10012...@compuserve.com

--
Mike Gregory @ work (with a StrongARMed Acorn RiscPC at home)

Ian Molton

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

mike_g...@uk.ibm.com (Mike Gregory @work) wrote:

> I have un uncached card running in my RiscPC, with v1.17 ROM. I believe
> there is a v1.19 upgrade to allow the use of >512M partitions, but that
> it is unstable. I'm waiting for v1.20 :-)

well, if what MORELY told me is anything to go by, there won't be a V1.20
for a _Very Long Time_

So don't hold your breath. Buy PowerROM instead - I know I will!

-Ian

The Gene Pool could use a little Chlorine...

Adrian John Warrick

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

Many thanks for the helpful replies.

I have contacted Morley will post the results if anyone is interested.

Best wishes

Mike Gregory @work

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

In <n532...@zetnet.co.uk>, ha...@zetnet.co.uk (Ian Molton) writes:
>mike_g...@uk.ibm.com (Mike Gregory @work) wrote:
>
>> I have un uncached card running in my RiscPC, with v1.17 ROM. I believe
>> there is a v1.19 upgrade to allow the use of >512M partitions, but that
>> it is unstable. I'm waiting for v1.20 :-)
>
>well, if what MORELY told me is anything to go by, there won't be a V1.20
>for a _Very Long Time_
>
>So don't hold your breath. Buy PowerROM instead - I know I will!

Oh, that's a shame. I like the Morley s/w. It does the job, and I've _never_
had any problems with it (except for the Free display with RiscOS3.7).

I tried a friends PowerROM, but it wouldn't recognize one of my HDs,
so I won't be getting one (sorry Gary, if you're listening/reading)
It just didn't appear when I did a *devices.
None of the setup s/w could recognize it.
The termination is correct, and it all works fine with the Morley s/w.
It was a few months ago, but ISTR it was the Conner 1G device, in
the middle of the chain.
Maybe there's a newer version?

Ian Molton

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

mike_g...@uk.ibm.com (Mike Gregory @work) wrote:

> Oh, that's a shame. I like the Morley s/w. It does the job, and I've
> _never_ had any problems with it (except for the Free display with
> RiscOS3.7).

Well, OK morely's software is workable, after a fasion, but the old software
just crashes a SA RPC (or indeed a none SA rpc)

This means I can't format devices without plugging it into my dad's A400.

The new morely scsi software seems half hearted - 1Gb MAX is a little sad
for a card which can obviously do better.

(just my 2p)

Carl Boddy

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

In message <5ci6vs$16...@grimsel.zurich.ibm.com> Mike Gregory @work wrote:

> In <na.64ba0a4752....@argonet.co.uk>, Adrian John Warrick <awar...@argonet.co.uk> writes:
> >
> >I let him have my spare Morley SCSI II card and a Toshiba 4101 CD Rom drive

snip

> Hi Adrian,
>
> Are you sure you let your friend have a Morley SCSI II card?
> AFAIK Morley only ever made SCSI 1 cards.
>

> I have un uncached card running in my RiscPC, with v1.17 ROM.
> I believe there is a v1.19 upgrade to allow the use of >512M
> partitions, but that it is unstable. I'm waiting for v1.20 :-)

Morley definately only made scsi 1 cards.
I have heard, but don't quote me on this, that Powertek can U/G the Morley
cards for you as Mr Partis who designed the Morley card is now associated
with them.

--
Carl Boddy

Ian Molton

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

cbo...@asiaonline.net (Carl Boddy) wrote:

> Morley definately only made scsi 1 cards. I have heard, but don't quote
> me on this, that Powertek can U/G the Morley cards for you as Mr Partis
> who designed the Morley card is now associated with them.

Well, the controller on my morely card is the same as that on my friends
scsiII card - is the difference only in protocols?

Alsystems PowerROM looks like a good u/g for the card.

AND claims to make it SCSI II
cool!

-Ian

Anotherone