MIDI modules

Harriet Bazley

Jan 7, 2023, 1:19:03 PM1/7/23
I've just been sent an experimental MIDI module 0.18 (04 Jan 2023).
In !System.Modules.310 I already have files called MIDI (MIDI 0.06 (03
Feb 2019)) and MIDI314 (MIDI 3.14 (18 Apr 2017)). The latter is the
earliest module, but it is the only one getting used by the system
because the high version number is overriding the alternative MIDI
modules even if I run them explicitly.

Should I be deleting it out of !Boot?

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

When you breathe you inspire; when you do not breathe, you expire.

David Higton

Jan 7, 2023, 3:25:43 PM1/7/23
In message <06ab23635...@bazleyfamily.co.uk>
Harriet Bazley <har...@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:

> I've just been sent an experimental MIDI module 0.18 (04 Jan 2023). In
> !System.Modules.310 I already have files called MIDI (MIDI 0.06 (03 Feb
> 2019)) and MIDI314 (MIDI 3.14 (18 Apr 2017)). The latter is the earliest
> module, but it is the only one getting used by the system because the high
> version number is overriding the alternative MIDI modules even if I run
> them explicitly.
>
> Should I be deleting it out of !Boot?

If I understand the situation correctly, there are MIDI modules out
there that do different things. First there was the old serial MIDI
module, though you're unlikely to find that nowadays, and with a date
of this year, it's certainly not that. Secondly, there's the USB MIDI
module that Rick Murray originated, and I made some timing improvements
to. This drives instruments with USB MIDI interfaces. Thirdly, the
one that's just popped up recently is a MIDI synth module, which accepts
the same commands as the earlier two, but generates sound directly. It
looks to me like this might be one you've got.

The point is that they are all called MIDI, and provide the same SWIs,
for compatibility reasons, but have different aims. You may need any
of the more recent ones, depending on what you're wanting to do at any
given moment.

David

Harriet Bazley

Jan 7, 2023, 4:39:35 PM1/7/23
On 7 Jan 2023 as I do recall,
David Higton wrote:

> In message <06ab23635...@bazleyfamily.co.uk>
> Harriet Bazley <har...@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I've just been sent an experimental MIDI module 0.18 (04 Jan 2023). In
> > !System.Modules.310 I already have files called MIDI (MIDI 0.06 (03 Feb
> > 2019)) and MIDI314 (MIDI 3.14 (18 Apr 2017)). The latter is the earliest
> > module, but it is the only one getting used by the system because the high
> > version number is overriding the alternative MIDI modules even if I run
> > them explicitly.
> >
> > Should I be deleting it out of !Boot?
>
> If I understand the situation correctly, there are MIDI modules out
> there that do different things. First there was the old serial MIDI
> module, though you're unlikely to find that nowadays, and with a date
> of this year, it's certainly not that. Secondly, there's the USB MIDI
> module that Rick Murray originated, and I made some timing improvements
> to. This drives instruments with USB MIDI interfaces.

Looking at the innards of the file, I think that's MIDI 3.14, which
contains commands like MIDIUSBSend.

But I don't have any MIDI hardware, so presumably despite being loaded
on my system it isn't actually doing anything?

MIDI 0.06 seems to be compressed, as it doesn't contain any readable
ASCII strings - but it does contain the header USBMIDI © 2017 Rick
Murray, so is presumably a development of MIDI 3.14?

> Thirdly, the one that's just popped up recently is a MIDI synth
> module, which accepts the same commands as the earlier two, but
> generates sound directly. It looks to me like this might be one you've
> got.

Yes, the module file is called MIDISynth, but the module in memory
calls itself just MIDI - which is the problem.

> The point is that they are all called MIDI, and provide the same SWIs,
> for compatibility reasons, but have different aims. You may need any
> of the more recent ones, depending on what you're wanting to do at any
> given moment.

It sounds as if I probably need the MIDISynth module in order to
generate audible sound from software that sends MIDI commands, rather
than *either* of the two USB MIDI modules that control external
hardware.... I've tested it on Rhapsody, which has a 'play via MIDI'
option that never did anything previously (presumably because the loaded
MIDI module was busy sending commands out of a USB port), and it does
produce sound output.

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

In the end, winning is the only safety.

Jean-Michel

Jan 9, 2023, 7:01:38 AM1/9/23
In message <455e36635...@bazleyfamily.co.uk>
Harriet Bazley <har...@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:

> On 7 Jan 2023 as I do recall,
> David Higton wrote:

>> In message <06ab23635...@bazleyfamily.co.uk>
>> Harriet Bazley <har...@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I've just been sent an experimental MIDI module 0.18 (04 Jan 2023). In
>>> !System.Modules.310 I already have files called MIDI (MIDI 0.06 (03 Feb
>>> 2019)) and MIDI314 (MIDI 3.14 (18 Apr 2017)). The latter is the earliest
>>> module, but it is the only one getting used by the system because the high
>>> version number is overriding the alternative MIDI modules even if I run
>>> them explicitly.
>>>
>>> Should I be deleting it out of !Boot?
>>
>> If I understand the situation correctly, there are MIDI modules out
>> there that do different things. First there was the old serial MIDI
>> module, though you're unlikely to find that nowadays, and with a date
>> of this year, it's certainly not that. Secondly, there's the USB MIDI
>> module that Rick Murray originated, and I made some timing improvements
>> to. This drives instruments with USB MIDI interfaces.

> Looking at the innards of the file, I think that's MIDI 3.14, which
> contains commands like MIDIUSBSend.

> But I don't have any MIDI hardware, so presumably despite being loaded
> on my system it isn't actually doing anything?

> MIDI 0.06 seems to be compressed, as it doesn't contain any readable
> ASCII strings - but it does contain the header USBMIDI ? 2017 Rick
> Murray, so is presumably a development of MIDI 3.14?

>> Thirdly, the one that's just popped up recently is a MIDI synth
>> module, which accepts the same commands as the earlier two, but
>> generates sound directly. It looks to me like this might be one you've
>> got.

> Yes, the module file is called MIDISynth, but the module in memory
> calls itself just MIDI - which is the problem.

>> The point is that they are all called MIDI, and provide the same SWIs,
>> for compatibility reasons, but have different aims. You may need any
>> of the more recent ones, depending on what you're wanting to do at any
>> given moment.
>>
> It sounds as if I probably need the MIDISynth module in order to
> generate audible sound from software that sends MIDI commands, rather
> than *either* of the two USB MIDI modules that control external
> hardware.... I've tested it on Rhapsody, which has a 'play via MIDI'
> option that never did anything previously (presumably because the loaded
> MIDI module was busy sending commands out of a USB port), and it does
> produce sound output.
Hello
MIDI module is not busy because there is no device.
To summarize:
MIDI 3.14 is the Acorn version number of the MIDI module, but it was not
a USB version, it was for a Podule.
Harriet's MIDI 3.14 module is a renumbered version of Rick Murray's
module because Rhapsody wanted this version.
No more needed.

To day if you have MIDI equipment, use the Rick Murray/Dave Higton/Colin
Granville module, otherwise use Pete Everett's MIDISynth module, which is
a good solution for those without equipment.

Rick's module works well with Maestro, Rhapsody4, for MIDI files with
!Player , DigitalCD and under emulator !MelIDI (unfortunately I only have
the demo version)

Pete Everett's mod is fine too, all the programs listed above should work.
Pete's !MIDIPlayer application is very good and according to the Forum
games can benefit from the MIDI module.

--
Jean-Michel

Harriet Bazley

Jan 9, 2023, 11:27:06 AM1/9/23
On 9 Jan 2023 as I do recall,
Jean-Michel wrote:

[snip]

> To summarize:
> MIDI 3.14 is the Acorn version number of the MIDI module, but it was not
> a USB version, it was for a Podule.
> Harriet's MIDI 3.14 module is a renumbered version of Rick Murray's
> module because Rhapsody wanted this version.
> No more needed.

Oh, I didn't realise the 3.14 version had been supplied with Rhapsody -
that explains where I got it from!

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Laugh, and the world ignores you. Crying doesn't help either.