Protocol index out of range?

Paul Oates

May 12, 2022, 1:27:50 PM5/12/22
Ladies and Gentlemen

I am trying to share files between a computer running Ubuntu 22.04 and an
ARMX6 running RISC OS 5.29.

I have LanMan98 v2.08 in standalone mode.

I can ping both the router and the other machine from either.

When I try to establish a share to connect to I get a message from
LanMan98 Filer 'protocol index out of range'

I am unable to translate the message into anything I can understand, and
been unable to find a reference to such a message.

I have tried with both the new TCP/IP stack (with the latest !omni), and
without it.

What does the message mean and what am I failing to do?

Many thanks

--
Paul Oates
oate...@btinternet.com

Martin

May 12, 2022, 2:31:17 PM5/12/22
In article <99ca87e...@oatespaul.btinternet.com>,
Paul Oates <oate...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I am trying to share files between a computer running Ubuntu 22.04
> and an ARMX6 running RISC OS 5.29.

> I have LanMan98 v2.08 in standalone mode.

> I can ping both the router and the other machine from either.

> When I try to establish a share to connect to I get a message from
> LanMan98 Filer 'protocol index out of range'

> I am unable to translate the message into anything I can
> understand, and been unable to find a reference to such a message.

> I have tried with both the new TCP/IP stack (with the latest
> !omni), and without it.

> What does the message mean and what am I failing to do?

Just a couple of ideas ...
- does the Ubuntu machine accept SMB1/CIFS protocol?
- have you tried stopping Raw reads? - see !LanMan98.!Run

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid

druck

May 12, 2022, 3:51:03 PM5/12/22
On 12/05/2022 18:27, Paul Oates wrote:
> I am trying to share files between a computer running Ubuntu 22.04 and an
> ARMX6 running RISC OS 5.29.
>
> I have LanMan98 v2.08 in standalone mode.
>
> I can ping both the router and the other machine from either.
>
> When I try to establish a share to connect to I get a message from
> LanMan98 Filer 'protocol index out of range'
>
> I am unable to translate the message into anything I can understand, and
> been unable to find a reference to such a message.

Your Ubuntu box will have to be set to use the ancient version 1 of SMB
to work (-o vers=1). Alternatively setup NFSd and use !Sunfish on RISC OS.

---druck