Google Групи вече не поддържа нови публикации или абонаменти в Usenet. Съдържанието за минали периоди остава видимо.

AppFS cache settings?

3 показвания
Преминаване към първото непрочетено съобщение

Richard Walker

непрочетено,
10.05.1996 г., 3:00:0010.05.96 г.
до

Hello all!

Is there anyone out there who uses Angelsoft AppFS 3.00 on an Econet
(or even Ethernet, I suppose) network and would let me ask them
for some info from the manual?

I am a system manager for two local schools who both have AppFS 3.00 on
Econet networks but neither of them have the manual!!! They have the
original disc, so it is legal - but the manuals are missing! :-(

I need some information on the cache settings. They have 4Mb servers
which have over 2Mb of RAM doing nothing and looking at the AppFS modules
it seems possible to configure cache options. How?

Would someone with a manual please find the info for me?

Many thanks,
Richard.
Richard Walker mailto:jame...@campus.bt.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.campus.bt.com/CampusWorld/orgs/org1736/richard

Richard Walker

непрочетено,
11.05.1996 г., 3:00:0011.05.96 г.
до

Alan Davies

непрочетено,
11.05.1996 г., 3:00:0011.05.96 г.
до

In your earlier message you wrote:

>Is there anyone out there who uses Angelsoft AppFS 3.00 on an Econet
>(or even Ethernet, I suppose) network and would let me ask them
>for some info from the manual?

>I need some information on the cache settings. They have 4Mb servers

>which have over 2Mb of RAM doing nothing and looking at the AppFS modules
>it seems possible to configure cache options. How?

In the !RUN file - in !Appserver you will find the appserver_setup lines
e.g.

|activate the server followed by 'Econet' comms module
Appserver_SetUp -f ADFS -d 4 -n 800 -b 8192
AppServer_EconetSetUp -b 34

This means that ADFS drive 4 is being exported with 800 packets of 8192 bytes
of cache. (Use 4096 bytes for Econet! - especially if you have Acorn bridges -
I think SJ bridges will cope with 8K packets) I therefore have about 6M of cache
and its on a RiscPC - as pre RPC stations cannot have more than 4MB of cache
as all the cache has to be in RMA - so you probably couldn't have more than
about 2MB of cache anyhow considering the amount of module space used up
typically.

The Econetsetup line with -b 34 means that I have 34 open receive blocks which
cannot therefore cope with requests from 34 clients at a time. Typically, I am
told that requests are dealt with so fast that this only needs to be 3 or 4; but
I found with older server stations cannot keep up - perhaps I could reduce it
now on the RPC.

You can put a -s parameter in this line too - however, this allows recursive
calls to be made to the server which really makes it fly and is much better at
allowing the station to be used as a client station or for some other task

BUT.....

It is also prone to making the server lockup, which is a great shame.

Really APPFS needs an overhaul to cope with New filecore, dynamic areas rather
than RMA, and it needs to be fixed so that it can be re-exported at gateway stations
with cache so that pressure on the backbone is relieved.

Oh- it doesn't work with DCI4 very well either.

--
Alan Davies
Head of Computing

Richard Walker

непрочетено,
12.05.1996 г., 3:00:0012.05.96 г.
до

Hello all!

Is there anyone out there who uses Angelsoft AppFS 3.00 on an Econet
(or even Ethernet, I suppose) network and would let me ask them
for some info from the manual?

I am a system manager for two local schools who both have AppFS 3.00 on

Econet networks but neither of them have the manual!!! They have the
original disc, so it is legal - but the manuals are missing! :-(

I need some information on the cache settings. They have 4Mb servers

which have over 2Mb of RAM doing nothing and looking at the AppFS modules
it seems possible to configure cache options. How?

Would someone with a manual please find the info for me?

0 нови съобщения