Link oddity

9 views
Skip to first unread message

Dave

unread,
May 13, 2021, 7:16:30 AM5/13/21
to
I have a strange one and wondered if anyone has any thoughts?

I logged in somewhere and created an account, they sent me an "Account
activation" email supposedly containing a link, I have to click the link
and it sends back to them and okays my email and account.

The trouble is the company email doesn't contain any link... not even text
that could be a malformed link.

Taking the raw email out of Pluto backups and putting it in Zap, there
absolutely is no link.

Additionally examining the email header the MailScanner reports "Found
to be clean".

Took it all to Thunderbird PC side, created another account and the end
result is the same... Account activation email with no link.

I've been chatting to the support and they insist the link is in the email
and that it's either my ISP or Mail Client app(s) causing the problem.

By this time the Crib card at support is running out, and we get to the
usual, "Delete all your cookies and History" etc...

Enuff already...

The support person bumps me up a level, and they'll review the problem and
get back to me.

I've now had a series of email from them supposedly containing links that
just are not there, and they still insist the problem is at my end.

Any thoughts, please!

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Theo

unread,
May 13, 2021, 1:12:22 PM5/13/21
to
Dave <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> The trouble is the company email doesn't contain any link... not even text
> that could be a malformed link.

Frequently people and systems sending mail compose it using a rich text
editor. They put in a link like this:

blah blah <a href="http:....">click here</a> blah blah

That comes through in the HTML version, but if you look in the plain text
version there's no link because the tags have been stripped out. It still
says 'click here' but there's nothing to click on in plain text.

Did you check the HTML version?

The other thing that can happen is if they allow you to specify you want
plain text emails, they might do that and send you just the plain text
version without the HTML version with the link.

Or they messed up, but that would likely affect everyone equally.

Theo

Dave

unread,
May 13, 2021, 3:20:23 PM5/13/21
to
In article <Bqf*8D...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Hi Theo,
You hit the nail firmly on the bonce.

Both my mail apps, Pluto on RISC OS and Thunderbird MS-Win side have been
configured to accept text only emails.

I took the Pluto mail HTML attachment in the mail to the Win side and
double clicked it, it displayed in Firefox with the clickable link
available.
The Account now verified...

Advice much appreciated.
Thanks

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Steve Fryatt

unread,
May 13, 2021, 4:55:03 PM5/13/21
to
On 13 May, Dave wrote in message
<592c1dd...@triffid.co.uk>:

> Both my mail apps, Pluto on RISC OS and Thunderbird MS-Win side have been
> configured to accept text only emails.

That ship sailed about twenty years ago...

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Nick Roberts

unread,
May 14, 2021, 12:58:20 PM5/14/21
to
In message <mpro.qt2cor00...@stevefryatt.org.uk>
Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> On 13 May, Dave wrote in message
> <592c1dd...@triffid.co.uk>:
>
> > Both my mail apps, Pluto on RISC OS and Thunderbird MS-Win side
> > have been configured to accept text only emails.
>
> That ship sailed about twenty years ago...

Not quite - a few years ago there was a problem with Outlook-delivered
malware, and Microsoft recommended that users configure Outlook to
accept text only.

I was quite amused.

--
Nick Roberts tigger @ orpheusinternet.co.uk

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Sniffer

unread,
May 15, 2021, 6:22:32 AM5/15/21
to
On 13/05/2021 21:53, Steve Fryatt wrote:
> On 13 May, Dave wrote in message
> <592c1dd...@triffid.co.uk>:
>
>> Both my mail apps, Pluto on RISC OS and Thunderbird MS-Win side have been
>> configured to accept text only emails.
>
> That ship sailed about twenty years ago...
>
Still has it's uses if you don't want to be tracked. Obviously there are
other ways to prevent being tracked too.

--
Michael Howard.

Steve Fryatt

unread,
May 15, 2021, 7:15:03 AM5/15/21
to
On 15 May, Sniffer wrote in message
<s7o7d7$b26$1...@dont-email.me>:

> Still has it's uses if you don't want to be tracked. Obviously there are
> other ways to prevent being tracked too.

Indeed. Not downloading any unattached files in the email, which is the
standard configuration on any modern email client that I've encountered
(including Outlook), is the most sensible way to achieve that. It means that
the content of emails is still visible largely as the sender intended.

Vince M Hudd

unread,
Jun 8, 2021, 4:42:59 AM6/8/21
to
Late coming to this thread, but...

On 13/05/2021 20:20, Dave wrote:

> Both my mail apps, Pluto on RISC OS and Thunderbird MS-Win side have been
> configured to accept text only emails.

> I took the Pluto mail HTML attachment in the mail to the Win side and
> double clicked it, it displayed in Firefox with the clickable link
> available.

When you say you have Thunderbird configured to "accept" text only
emails, do you mean configured to *display* emails as text only?

If so, it's worth remembering you can change how the currently open
message is displayed from the View menu (View -> Display body as)
without faffing around saving out a HTML attachment and moving it around.

(My default is plain text, but I change it for the occasional message
for similar reasons to the problem you encountered)

--
Vince M Hudd - Soft Rock Software - www.softrock.co.uk
RISCOSitory - www.riscository.com

Dave

unread,
Jun 8, 2021, 7:17:17 AM6/8/21
to
In article <tKydnSF_8-cQsCL9...@giganews.com>,
Vince M Hudd <atdotc...@dotcodotukat.co.uk> wrote:
> Late coming to this thread, but...

> On 13/05/2021 20:20, Dave wrote:

> > Both my mail apps, Pluto on RISC OS and Thunderbird MS-Win side have
> > been configured to accept text only emails.

> > I took the Pluto mail HTML attachment in the mail to the Win side and
> > double clicked it, it displayed in Firefox with the clickable link
> > available.

> When you say you have Thunderbird configured to "accept" text only
> emails, do you mean configured to *display* emails as text only?

> If so, it's worth remembering you can change how the currently open
> message is displayed from the View menu (View -> Display body as)
> without faffing around saving out a HTML attachment and moving it around.

> (My default is plain text, but I change it for the occasional message
> for similar reasons to the problem you encountered)

Hi Vince, Looks like you are a bit behind with your reading. (Date) :-)

But seriously, as I'm only an occasional user of Thunderbird I didn't know
about that... As you note very useful.

The only downside is...
As 99 percent of my email comes via Pluto, and if I find some that are
causing problems I don't really have any choice but to manually take the
stuff Windows side.

Thanks for the info though... Appreciated.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Stuart

unread,
Jun 22, 2021, 11:49:17 AM6/22/21
to
In article <593954d...@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> The only downside is...
> As 99 percent of my email comes via Pluto, and if I find some that are
> causing problems I don't really have any choice but to manually take the
> stuff Windows side.

The HTML attachment you see in !Pluto can be dropped on whatever Browser
you usually use on the RO side and viewed there.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Alan Calder BT

unread,
Jun 23, 2021, 6:34:47 AM6/23/21
to
In article <5940a3cc...@argonet.co.uk>, Stuart
<Spa...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <593954d...@triffid.co.uk>, Dave <da...@triffid.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > The only downside is... As 99 percent of my email comes via Pluto, and
> > if I find some that are causing problems I don't really have any
> > choice but to manually take the stuff Windows side.

> The HTML attachment you see in !Pluto can be dropped on whatever Browser
> you usually use on the RO side and viewed there.

I tend to drop the attachment on !Easiwriter to get a good idea of what
it's about. Doesn't read the web refernces in the file but generally gets
all the text. If I want to read more then I pass it to the Windows
machine. Deals with 90% of what I get.

Alan

--
Alan Calder, Milton Keynes, UK.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages