Eternal-September logins or lack thereof

Dave

Nov 11, 2020, 1:18:25 AM11/11/20

G'day folks.
Over the past months I've found more often than not
'news.eternal-september...' fails to login, and for extended periods not
just a short while.

Is anyone else using this news server having similar problems?

Eventually it logs in again and I forget about it, but after a few days
off it goes again.

I have the following in my Newshound servers directory. (Obviously in a
file of its own called 'nes').

# News server hostname:
news.eternal-september.org:8119,username,password

It's the same as it has been for many years.

It is not a big problem as n.e-s is my secondary new server, but I would
like to know if...

1) Is the above entry correct or has it changed in recent times?

2) Anyone else encountering the problem?

3) And Why?

Thanks
Dave

My primary news service is News.Individual.NET which seems to be okay.

D.

--

Dave Triffid

Chris Hughes

Nov 11, 2020, 5:35:47 AM11/11/20
In message <58cd983...@triffid.co.uk>
Dave <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> G'day folks.
> Over the past months I've found more often than not
> 'news.eternal-september...' fails to login, and for extended periods not
> just a short while.

> Is anyone else using this news server having similar problems?

> Eventually it logs in again and I forget about it, but after a few days
> off it goes again.

> I have the following in my Newshound servers directory. (Obviously in a
> file of its own called 'nes').

> # News server hostname:
> news.eternal-september.org:8119,username,password

> It's the same as it has been for many years.

Thats what I use, checks every 20 mins, and not noticed any issues

> It is not a big problem as n.e-s is my secondary new server, but I would
> like to know if...

> 1) Is the above entry correct or has it changed in recent times?

Seems fine, its what I use.

> 2) Anyone else encountering the problem?

Not here (famous last words)

> 3) And Why?

No idea.

--
Chris Hughes

druck

Nov 11, 2020, 6:01:15 AM11/11/20
On 11/11/2020 06:17, Dave wrote:
> G'day folks.
> Over the past months I've found more often than not
> 'news.eternal-september...' fails to login, and for extended periods not
> just a short while.
>
> Is anyone else using this news server having similar problems?
>
> Eventually it logs in again and I forget about it, but after a few days
> off it goes again.
>
> I have the following in my Newshound servers directory. (Obviously in a
> file of its own called 'nes').
>
> # News server hostname:
> news.eternal-september.org:8119,username,password

Its working fine for me, I'm using port 119 though.

---druck

Dave Plowman (News)

Nov 11, 2020, 6:06:43 AM11/11/20
In article <58cd983...@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> G'day folks.
> Over the past months I've found more often than not
> 'news.eternal-september...' fails to login, and for extended periods not
> just a short while.

> Is anyone else using this news server having similar problems?

No. I use both it and aioe to get the groups I read. Occasionally, one or
the other will fail to login. Newshound is set to do an auto fetch every
10 minutes.

--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Sniffer

Nov 12, 2020, 11:31:08 AM11/12/20
On 11/11/2020 06:17, Dave wrote:
Works here with the very occasional drop out. Like druck, I use port 119.

Mike.

druck

Nov 12, 2020, 4:13:09 PM11/12/20
On 11/11/2020 06:17, Dave wrote:
> G'day folks.
> Over the past months I've found more often than not
> 'news.eternal-september...' fails to login, and for extended periods not
> just a short while.

I did take a look at their status page
http://www.eternal-september.org/serverstatus.php?language=en earlier
today, and the first two boxes were showing yellow. I could still get
news though, and its back to all greens now. When you have problems take
a look at the page.

---druck

Dave

Nov 12, 2020, 4:32:12 PM11/12/20
In article <rok8h4$qel$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ah! a useful URL.

Interestingly, since you posted about using 119 I changed my entry to just
119 and it seems to be working without the irregular failing.

Time will tell. :-)

I can't remember where I picked up the usage of 8119 but I do remember it
was online somewhere. :-(

Thanks for posting the URL, I can use that.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Russell Hafter News

Nov 13, 2020, 6:37:28 AM11/13/20
In article <58ce6fc...@triffid.co.uk>, Dave
<da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> I can't remember where I picked up the usage of 8119 but
> I do remember it was online somewhere. :-(

8119 is what I have always used, with no recent problems.

--
Russell
Russell Hafter

Dave Plowman (News)

Nov 13, 2020, 8:18:31 AM11/13/20
In article <58ce6fc...@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
My file reads:-

# News server hostname:
news.eternal-september.org:8119,********,*******

Should that 8119 be changed to 119?

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Chris Hughes

Nov 13, 2020, 9:13:02 AM11/13/20
In message <58cec5f...@davenoise.co.uk>
Mine is still 8119 and always has been and works.

If its working leave well alone

--
Chris Hughes

Dave Plowman (News)

Nov 13, 2020, 9:59:43 AM11/13/20
In article <0903cace...@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Good advice. ;-)

--
*If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Dave

Nov 13, 2020, 1:49:45 PM11/13/20
All I can say is...
Since changing my 8119 to 119 the eternal-september login has not failed
once...
So far. ;-)

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Dave

Nov 13, 2020, 2:03:43 PM11/13/20
On 13 Nov, da...@triffid.co.uk wrote:
> All I can say is...
> Since changing my 8119 to 119 the eternal-september login has not failed
> once...
> So far. ;-)

> Dave

I recently went to the URL given by Druck for eternal-september and
interestingly the port noted there for news.eternal-september.org is just
the 119.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Chris Hughes

Nov 13, 2020, 2:43:14 PM11/13/20
In message <58cee5b...@triffid.co.uk>
yes because 8119 is the hiddeen alternative as explained long ago on the
site.

8119 is working here and has done for years no plans to change it.

--
Chris Hughes