Booting over Network

Mike Curtis

Jul 15, 2006, 3:33:00 PM7/15/06
Hello,
I've recently noticed that RO 4.39 offers the option of booting
via network using BootP or DHCP, I have so far been unable to find any
info on how to actually implement this, can anybody help please?

TIA

--
_____ _
|_ _|__ _ __ | | ____ _
| |/ _ \| '_ \| |/ / _` | @orpheusmail.co.uk
| | (_) | | | | < (_| | Mike Curtis
|_|\___/|_| |_|_|\_\__,_| Chippenham, Wilts, UK.

John Sandford

Jul 15, 2006, 4:20:18 PM7/15/06
In message <688ef746...@tonka.orpheusmail.co.uk>
Mike Curtis <to...@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
> I've recently noticed that RO 4.39 offers the option of booting
> via network using BootP or DHCP, I have so far been unable to find any
> info on how to actually implement this, can anybody help please?
>
> TIA

DCHP needs a dhcp server on your network usually, will be the router
but could be PC or infact the broadband modem.

just enable and ensure that the gateway box is blank, in hosts enter
a name and domain (ie home) tick try nameserver box, enter routers ip
in nameserver window.

John

--
John Sandford West Herts UK

Hemel Hempstead RISC OS User Group email info @ hhrug.org

Steven Pampling

Jul 16, 2006, 12:17:59 AM7/16/06
In article <00e3fb4...@sandford.ntlworld.com>,

John Sandford <jo...@thesandfords.me.uk> wrote:
> In message <688ef746...@tonka.orpheusmail.co.uk>
> Mike Curtis <to...@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:

> > Hello,
> > I've recently noticed that RO 4.39 offers the option of booting
> > via network using BootP or DHCP, I have so far been unable to find any
> > info on how to actually implement this, can anybody help please?

> DCHP needs a dhcp server on your network usually, will be the router

> but could be PC or infact the broadband modem.

> just enable and ensure that the gateway box is blank, in hosts enter
> a name and domain (ie home) tick try nameserver box, enter routers ip
> in nameserver window.

If you re-read the text Mike needs a bit more than a DHCP server by the
looks of things. He seems to be talking about booting from a server i.e.
using the RISC OS machine as a client machine with the boot content on the
server.
Mike - you'd need a Citrix/Topcat server setup for that, not cheap.

> John

Mike Curtis

Jul 16, 2006, 7:19:44 AM7/16/06
In message <4e47279e8dst...@dsl.pipex.com>
Steven Pampling <steve.p...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

Yes John, that's exactly what I was after - although not the result I
wanted.
So, absolutely no way of using a RiscOS or WinXP machine as a server
then?

BUM!

Thanks anyway.

Justin Fletcher

Jul 16, 2006, 8:32:27 AM7/16/06

<ShareFS>
*Configure InternetIP dynamic
*Configure ShareBoot <discname>
*Configure Filesystem ShareFS

Create a boot directory called !ShareBoot on the shared disc.

OR

<Econet / NetI>
*Configure InternetIP Dynamic
(above line not necessary if you're using hardware Econet)
*Configure NetIAutoMap On
(above line not necesasry if you're not using gateways on your system)
*Configure Filesystem NetFS
*Configure FS <server econet address>
(you may have to RMKill LanManFS to do this [1])

Run Level 4, or equivalent on your server sharing a public disc called
BOOT with a user BOOT. A !ArmBoot file will be run.

OR

<LanMan>
*Configure InternetIP dynamic
*Configure Filesystem LanMan
*Configure FS <server name>
(you may have to RMKill NetFS to do this [1])

The server disc 'BOOT' must be mountable with user name ARMBOOT, no
password, and will be mounted as the disc ARMBOOT.

OR

Manually select the option from the Boot Menu. Shared devices are as
above although IIRC the ShareFS booting also accepts !Boot as well as
!ShareBoot.

NFS can be used for booting as well, but no version of RISC OS for the
desktop has NFS in ROM.

[1] Someone had the bright idea of using the same configuration command
for these.

--
Gerph <http://gerph.org/>
... In this moment I believe; and I want it so much...

Mike Curtis

Jul 16, 2006, 11:53:45 AM7/16/06
In message <Pine.LNX.4.63.06...@buttercup.gerph.org>
Justin Fletcher <ge...@gerph.org> wrote:

[snip]

Wow - lots to be looking into there!

Thanks a lot Justin (I withdraw the "BUM" comment).

Mike Tomlinson

Jul 18, 2006, 2:19:01 AM7/18/06
In article <4e47279e8dst...@dsl.pipex.com>, Steven Pampling
<steve.p...@dsl.pipex.com> writes

>If you re-read the text Mike needs a bit more than a DHCP server by the
>looks of things.

He meant a TFTP server, not DHCP. BOOTP and TFTP are protocols that
allow network booting.

> He seems to be talking about booting from a server i.e.
>using the RISC OS machine as a client machine with the boot content on the
>server.

Yes.

>Mike - you'd need a Citrix/Topcat server setup for that, not cheap.

No. There are several TFTP servers available, many of them free.

--
(\__/)

Mike Tomlinson

Jul 18, 2006, 2:19:49 AM7/18/06
In article <8e3b4e47...@tonka.orpheusmail.co.uk>, Mike Curtis
<to...@orpheusmail.co.uk> writes

>So, absolutely no way of using a RiscOS or WinXP machine as a server
>then?

Yes, it's trivial. Search for "Windows TFTP server" for more choices
than you can shake a stick at.

Steven Pampling

Jul 18, 2006, 3:51:50 PM7/18/06
In article <URAmQrCV...@jasper.org.uk>,
Mike Tomlinson <mi...@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote:

> No. There are several TFTP servers available, many of them free.

Suitable for a remote loading copy of RISC OS?
I suspect Justins answer is far closer to the mark.

Mike Tomlinson

Jul 18, 2006, 5:28:03 PM7/18/06
In article <4e4884c9eest...@dsl.pipex.com>, Steven Pampling
<steve.p...@dsl.pipex.com> writes

>Suitable for a remote loading copy of RISC OS?

Yes. TFTP is OS-independent. It can not only be used to load an OS,
but is used by many network-aware devices to load updated firmware (in
the form of an image to be written into the device's flash memory.)

As long as there's a BOOTP or TFTP client for RISC OS intended for
bootstrapping the OS, it doesn't matter what the server platform is.

Steven Pampling

Jul 18, 2006, 11:44:49 PM7/18/06
In article <yjtPMADj...@jasper.org.uk>,
Mike Tomlinson <mi...@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote:

> As long as there's a BOOTP or TFTP client for RISC OS intended for
> bootstrapping the OS,

Hmmmm.

Mike Tomlinson

Jul 19, 2006, 2:40:01 AM7/19/06
In article <4e48b01782st...@dsl.pipex.com>, Steven Pampling
<steve.p...@dsl.pipex.com> writes

>Hmmmm.

You can "Hmmm" all you like. Here's one:

http://fp.microlynx.plus.com/TopCatDataSheet.htm

Another poster also posted recently with a query about a used i-cubed
network card he'd obtained which displayed the message "Looking for
bootp server" at power-up.

Steven Pampling

Jul 19, 2006, 3:57:13 AM7/19/06
In article <9LVMGmDB...@jasper.org.uk>,

Rewind a bit and you should note that I said:
" Mike - you'd need a Citrix/Topcat server setup for that, not cheap."

and then you quote me TopCat.
Hmmmm?

> Another poster also posted recently with a query about a used i-cubed
> network card he'd obtained which displayed the message "Looking for
> bootp server" at power-up.

I know the servers exist, find a free one for RISC OS.
Around the Wintel/Linux world free TFTP servers are common enough.

Theo Markettos

Jul 20, 2006, 1:44:53 PM7/20/06
Steven Pampling <steve.p...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> I know the servers exist, find a free one for RISC OS.
> Around the Wintel/Linux world free TFTP servers are common enough.

There's one on my hard drive. I took a simple command like Linux client and
compiled it with GCCSDK. The Makefile just happened to build the integral
server for RISC OS too. Was very simple to build.

It's not for release because my purpose was to hack it around to transfer
6GB HD images around the place in a way that gets over the RISC OS 2GB file
size limitation. I've done the hackery (basically modified the TFTP
protocol so it sends a 64 bit block count rather than a 16 bit one and calls
ADFS_SectorOp directly) but it's too slow for what I want.

There are three .c files, which begin:

* TFTP library
* copyright (c) 2004 Vanden Berghen Frank

Can provide the original source if anyone wants it. Note I haven't tried
the server on RISC OS but think it works.

Theo

Mike Tomlinson

Jul 20, 2006, 5:58:30 PM7/20/06
In article <4e48c732e9st...@dsl.pipex.com>, Steven Pampling
<steve.p...@dsl.pipex.com> writes

>Rewind a bit and you should note that I said:

>" Mike - you'd need a Citrix/Topcat server setup for that, not cheap."
>
>and then you quote me TopCat.

You didn't even bother to read the data sheet, did you? You don't need
Citrix. The TopCat network boot ROMs will boot RISC OS off a standard
TFTP server.

>Hmmmm?

Hmmm indeed.

*plonk*

Jess

Jul 20, 2006, 6:12:35 PM7/20/06
In message <8YE8SWEGy$vEF...@jasper.org.uk>
Mike Tomlinson <mi...@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote:

> In article <4e48c732e9st...@dsl.pipex.com>, Steven Pampling
> <steve.p...@dsl.pipex.com> writes
>
>>Rewind a bit and you should note that I said:
>>" Mike - you'd need a Citrix/Topcat server setup for that, not cheap."
>>
>>and then you quote me TopCat.
>
> You didn't even bother to read the data sheet, did you? You don't need
> Citrix. The TopCat network boot ROMs will boot RISC OS off a standard
> TFTP server.

Isn't the point, not the server, but the files you are booting with?

You will need the correct boot sequence, which topcat provides with
relevant license.

Would the uniboot be usable as an alternative?

--
Jess Iyonix
contact http://jess.itworkshop-nexus.net

Steven Pampling

Jul 21, 2006, 2:29:31 PM7/21/06
In article <8YE8SWEGy$vEF...@jasper.org.uk>,

Mike Tomlinson <mi...@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote:
> In article <4e48c732e9st...@dsl.pipex.com>, Steven Pampling
> <steve.p...@dsl.pipex.com> writes

> >Rewind a bit and you should note that I said:
> >" Mike - you'd need a Citrix/Topcat server setup for that, not cheap."
> >
> >and then you quote me TopCat.

> You didn't even bother to read the data sheet, did you?

I don't need to read the bloody data sheet! I was one of the people trying
to get ARM devices booted off citrix servers in use in a large NHS
establishment.

> You don't need
> Citrix.

That bit is true if you don't need Windows on the client machine, but the
point remains and you seem to bleedin' stupid to acknowledge it:

> The TopCat network boot ROMs will boot RISC OS off a standard
> TFTP server.

and there's the rub, because as I was trying to point out without labelling
you as congenitally stupid - TopCat:
*is NOT free*

> >Hmmmm?

> Hmmm indeed.

> *plonk*
Well if you're not listening I'm wasting my time, but if you're just
pretending then you might just possibly appreciate you're
1. Wrong.
2. Stupid and wrong.