Interworking between RISC OS and a Mac

Rob Hemmings

Oct 21, 2023, 2:05:05 PM10/21/23
Can anyone tell me what is the current best way to try and move files
between RISC OS and a Mac. I've seen various methods mentioned over the
years but not very recently so I'm wondering what is currently thought to
be the best way?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob Hemmings Southport

Tel: +44 (0)1704 573210 rhem...@rgvk.co.uk

Chris Hughes

Oct 21, 2023, 3:50:26 PM10/21/23
In message <5af6f09a1...@rgvk.co.uk>
Rob Hemmings <rhem...@rgvk.co.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what is the current best way to try and move files
> between RISC OS and a Mac. I've seen various methods mentioned over the
> years but not very recently so I'm wondering what is currently thought to
> be the best way?

> Thanks in advance for any advice.

The June WROCC meeting was all about RISC OS and a Mac

https://www.wrocc.org.uk/meetings/2023/mark-stephens

From there you can watch the video on YouTube of the talk, by Mark
Stephens.

Hopefully that might help.

--
Chris Hughes

Richard Porter

Oct 21, 2023, 5:01:32 PM10/21/23
The date being 21 Oct 2023, Rob Hemmings <rhem...@rgvk.co.uk> decided to
write:

> Can anyone tell me what is the current best way to try and move files
> between RISC OS and a Mac. I've seen various methods mentioned over the
> years but not very recently so I'm wondering what is currently thought to
> be the best way?

> Thanks in advance for any advice.

I use a public area on NAS for transferring files.
I did have a LanMan98 connection but I don't think that works any more.
I'll be interested to see what others use.

--
Richard Porter

Rob Hemmings

Oct 22, 2023, 1:03:34 PM10/22/23
In article <5af749...@sick-of-spam.invalid>,
Bob Latham <b...@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <6c5200f...@user.minijem.plus.com>,
> Richard Porter <ri...@minijem.plus.com> wrote:

> > I did have a LanMan98 connection but I don't think that works any
> > more.

> I cannot say for definite as I don't know which NAS and OS you are
> using but in general, SMB1 is now disabled by default as in some
> cases is ntlm auth. I would be surprised if you can't just switch it
> back on, I've not seen any NAS yet that you can't. Actually, I've not
> seen any device yet but there's probably some.

> Bob.

I don't have a NAS so that is not an option for me.

Thanks Chris for the link, I'll have a look at it.

Richard Porter

Oct 22, 2023, 2:59:14 PM10/22/23
The date being 22 Oct 2023, Bob Latham <b...@sick-of-spam.invalid> decided
to write:

> In article <6c5200f...@user.minijem.plus.com>,
> Richard Porter <ri...@minijem.plus.com> wrote:

>> I did have a LanMan98 connection but I don't think that works any
>> more.

> I cannot say for definite as I don't know which NAS and OS you are
> using but in general, SMB1 is now disabled by default as in some
> cases is ntlm auth. I would be surprised if you can't just switch it
> back on, I've not seen any NAS yet that you can't. Actually, I've not
> seen any device yet but there's probably some.

I might have misled you. I'm using stand-alone !lanman98 2.08 on an ARMX6
with OS 5.29. The NAS is a Seagate.

I can share files with the NAS from both ARMX6 and iMac but not directly
from the ARMX6 to the iMac (latest update) or vice versa.