DNS problems with ROOL/RODirect

Liam Proven

Jun 21, 2022, 9:59:17 AM6/21/22
I am having problems getting online with RISC OS.

I have a ½Gb/s home broadband connection supplied over a cable TV line
by Vodafone. The snag is that this means that I don't have full control
over my "ConnectBox" router, which I think is a Compal CH7465.

However I try to run RISC OS 5, be it on a RasPi 3, or a RasPi 4 (or
400, same µSD card), or even under RPCemu under Win11, it can't do name
resolution.

I've tried pointing it at the Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4. And
at Quad9. And at my router, obviously, which I thought it should get
through DHCP.

If I add IP addresses and names to the Hosts file, they can be found.
But basically DNS resolution isn't working, at all.

Is there some other way to configure DNS servers other than the Internet
Resolution | Host Names settings screen?

Is there a RISC OS equivalent to /etc/resolv.conf?

I have also had problems with Alpine Linux, although most of my other
machines seem to work just fine. I think some recent change is causing
RO problems, but I am pretty sure that asking Vodafone Czechia about
RISC OS is not going to get me far.

https://xkcd.com/806/

--
Liam Proven ~ Prague, Czechia
lprov...@hotmail.com

Doug Webb

Jun 22, 2022, 4:53:07 AM6/22/22
In message <t8sirj$9us$1...@dont-email.me>
Liam Proven <lprov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am having problems getting online with RISC OS.

> I have a ½Gb/s home broadband connection supplied over a cable TV line
> by Vodafone. The snag is that this means that I don't have full control
> over my "ConnectBox" router, which I think is a Compal CH7465.

> However I try to run RISC OS 5, be it on a RasPi 3, or a RasPi 4 (or
> 400, same µSD card), or even under RPCemu under Win11, it can't do name
> resolution.

> I've tried pointing it at the Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4. And
> at Quad9. And at my router, obviously, which I thought it should get
> through DHCP.

Have you tried setting the router as the primary name server via Task
switcher>Configure>Configuration>Network>Internet>HostNames>Try name
server too ticked and the routers IP address in Primary Name server.

Also how are the Pi's getting their time and/or is it set?

Task switcher>Configure>Configuration>Time and Date

If it is from network then set it to manual and set the time and reboot.

It could be that it is getting confused due to the location you are in.

Having an incorrect date will stop your browser working.

--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS