Browse html special chars

Ronald

Dec 24, 2022, 5:56:29 PM12/24/22
I have been setting up html readme's so Browse can be used.
I have found that while double quote " works, ’ does not.
A fix is to use $#34; instead.
Almost sounds like a fault in Browse though.

Harriet Bazley

Dec 26, 2022, 10:00:21 AM12/26/22
On 24 Dec 2022 as I do recall,
Does Browse support other HTML 4 entities?
(e.g. does “ work?)

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Questions are a burden to others, but answers are a prison for oneself.

Ronald

Dec 26, 2022, 10:34:47 AM12/26/22
In article <14e7e05c5...@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
Harriet Bazley <har...@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24 Dec 2022 as I do recall,
> Ronald wrote:

> > I have been setting up html readme's so Browse can be used.
> > I have found that while double quote &quot; works, &rsquo; does not.
> > A fix is to use $#34; instead.
> > Almost sounds like a fault in Browse though.
> >

> Does Browse support other HTML 4 entities?
> (e.g. does &ldquo; work?)

Hi Harriet,
no &ldquo; doesnt work.
A bit lazy on my part, I later found some html xml standards on the
wiki and it looks like at newer standards, more were introduced.
The old XML1 only had double quote and &apos; I was supprised that
Browse didn't support that one.
I guessing Browse had settled on a standard at the time.
I don't know the Browse source, I guess the swap table would have
to be increased or adapted to fix the most common occurences.
&nbsp; is another one.

Sprow

Dec 30, 2022, 2:05:51 AM12/30/22
On Monday, December 26, 2022 at 3:34:47 PM UTC, Ronald wrote:
> In article <14e7e05c5...@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
> Harriet Bazley <har...@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 24 Dec 2022 as I do recall,
> > Ronald wrote:
>
> > > I have been setting up html readme's so Browse can be used.
> > > I have found that while double quote &quot; works, &rsquo; does not.
> > Does Browse support other HTML 4 entities?
> > (e.g. does &ldquo; work?)
> no &ldquo; doesnt work.
> A bit lazy on my part, I later found some html xml standards on the
> wiki and it looks like at newer standards, more were introduced.
> The old XML1 only had double quote and &apos; I was supprised that
> Browse didn't support that one.
> I guessing Browse had settled on a standard at the time.

ldquo (and rsquo and lsquo) are all in the table of known entities for Browse

https://gitlab.riscosopen.org/RiscOS/Sources/Lib/HTMLLib/-/blob/master/c/display#L573

It's worth noting however that these are mapped to UCS4 code points so for them to display properly
a) you'd need to be running with the unicode Font Manager
b) iff you're running the Unicode build of Browse you'd also need to select *Alphabet UTF8

This sloppy test

&lsquo;Hello&rsquo;

renders fine on Browse 2.20 here,
Sprow.

Ronald

Dec 30, 2022, 7:36:11 PM12/30/22
In article <e583f4a2-cd1b-464b...@googlegroups.com>,
Sprow <ne...@sprow.co.uk> wrote:

> ldquo (and rsquo and lsquo) are all in the table of known entities for Browse

> https://gitlab.riscosopen.org/RiscOS/Sources/Lib/HTMLLib/-/blob/master/c/display#L573

> It's worth noting however that these are mapped to UCS4 code points so for them to display properly
> a) you'd need to be running with the unicode Font Manager
> b) iff you're running the Unicode build of Browse you'd also need to select *Alphabet UTF8

> This sloppy test

> &lsquo;Hello&rsquo;

> renders fine on Browse 2.20 here,
> Sprow.
I have been loading !Unicode into ram and running it from there at Boot
time. I have added running Alphabet UTF8 at that point too so hopefully
wont be forgotten about. !Unicode is needed by !Netsurf and I have
subversion requiring it.
Maybe the effects of Alphabet UTF8 are far reaching, probably needed to
display UTF8 in Edit, and might show up in subversion and other unixlib
programs I dont know yet.
Thanks, Ronald

Sprow

Dec 31, 2022, 3:22:53 AM12/31/22
On Saturday, December 31, 2022 at 12:36:11 AM UTC, Ronald wrote:
> In article <e583f4a2-cd1b-464b...@googlegroups.com>,
> Sprow <ne...@sprow.co.uk> wrote:
> > ldquo (and rsquo and lsquo) are all in the table of known entities for Browse [and]

> > &lsquo;Hello&rsquo;
> >
> > renders fine on Browse 2.20 here,
>
> I have been loading !Unicode into ram and running it from there at Boot
> time. I have added running Alphabet UTF8 at that point too so hopefully
> wont be forgotten about. !Unicode is needed by !Netsurf and I have
> subversion requiring it.

!Unicode is a passive resource folder, you don't need to "load" it as such, it just needs to set up a few system variables which tell stuff where various tables are.

So what did my 'Hello' example above look like? I can think of 3 outcomes:
1. Just says Hello with no quotes => does the font you chose have those characters?
2. Says 'Hello' => great
3. Says AE_HelloAe_ or similar => those are UTF8 encodings, you need to set the alphabet

Setting the alphabet is immediate, ie. if you have situation (3) in Latin1 and change to UTF8, when the screen is redrawn Browse will correct the display,
Sprow.

Ronald

Jan 1, 2023, 4:40:38 AM1/1/23
In article <0f9cd186-c334-4d26...@googlegroups.com>,
Sprow <ne...@sprow.co.uk> wrote:
> On Saturday, December 31, 2022 at 12:36:11 AM UTC, Ronald wrote:
> > In article <e583f4a2-cd1b-464b...@googlegroups.com>,
> > Sprow <ne...@sprow.co.uk> wrote:
> > > ldquo (and rsquo and lsquo) are all in the table of known entities for Browse [and]

> > > &lsquo;Hello&rsquo;
> > >
> > > renders fine on Browse 2.20 here,
> >
> > I have been loading !Unicode into ram and running it from there at Boot
> > time. I have added running Alphabet UTF8 at that point too so hopefully
> > wont be forgotten about. !Unicode is needed by !Netsurf and I have
> > subversion requiring it.

> !Unicode is a passive resource folder, you don't need to "load" it as such, it
>just needs to set up a few system variables which tell stuff where various tables are.

Oh, so it is not accessed regularily then, obvious once at start up of a
program.

> So what did my 'Hello' example above look like? I can think of 3 outcomes:
> 1. Just says Hello with no quotes => does the font you chose have those characters?
> 2. Says 'Hello' => great
> 3. Says AE_HelloAe_ or similar => those are UTF8 encodings, you need to set the alphabet

> Setting the alphabet is immediate, ie. if you have situation (3) in Latin1 and change to
>UTF8, when the screen is redrawn Browse will correct the display,
> Sprow.

The difference was noticeable on sites so could see it was working.
Yes I got a quoted hello from your example.

At one time, ArcWeb was the fast browser.
It must have had issues with utf8, there would have been simpler web sites
around then.
I noticed Browse ca handle the redirections involved downloading a Google
drive link.
Netsurf wasn't able to lately, I suspect changes at google.
The other googledrive option was wget.
Netsurf uses curl which should be superior but somethings up.
Thanks Ron

Harriet Bazley

Jan 1, 2023, 11:45:19 AM1/1/23
On 1 Jan 2023 as I do recall,
Ronald wrote:

[snip]

> At one time, ArcWeb was the fast browser.
> It must have had issues with utf8, there would have been simpler web sites
> around then.

I used to use ArcWeb offline for reading HTML helpfiles etc -- it was
small and fast, but it didn't support HTML4 entities, which became an
increasing problem in terms of readability.

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

The purpose of rules is to make you think before you break them.

Ronald

Jan 2, 2023, 3:33:43 AM1/2/23
In article <cadc04605...@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
Harriet Bazley <har...@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> On 1 Jan 2023 as I do recall,
> Ronald wrote:

> [snip]

> > At one time, ArcWeb was the fast browser.
> > It must have had issues with utf8, there would have been simpler web sites
> > around then.

> I used to use ArcWeb offline for reading HTML helpfiles etc -- it was
> small and fast, but it didn't support HTML4 entities, which became an
> increasing problem in terms of readability.

It got left behind early on, could be it wasn't OK on StrongArm.

Stewart Brodie

Feb 9, 2023, 6:06:23 PM2/9/23
Ronald <chc...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> In article <cadc04605...@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
> Harriet Bazley <har...@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 1 Jan 2023 as I do recall,
> > Ronald wrote:
>

> > [snip]
>

> > > At one time, ArcWeb was the fast browser. It must have had issues with
> > > utf8, there would have been simpler web sites around then.

The finishing touches to the UTF-8 standard were only done in 1994, which
post-dates a lot of the development effort.

> > I used to use ArcWeb offline for reading HTML helpfiles etc -- it was
> > small and fast, but it didn't support HTML4 entities, which became an
> > increasing problem in terms of readability.
>
> It got left behind early on, could be it wasn't OK on StrongArm.

It was fine on StrongArm-powered computers - all my computers had SAs.

--
Stewart Brodie