General network question

Brian Jordan

Nov 21, 2020, 1:28:26 PM11/21/20
I access my NAS from this RISC OS RPi with !FTPc. This is fine for
transferring files (obviously!) but I wonder if there is any way in which
I can run, correctly file typed, files directly from a directory viewer
without first dragging them to the RPi? I ask more out of interest than
necessity. B

Brian Jordan
From somewhere in North Hampshire. England. UK.

Martin

Nov 21, 2020, 2:21:26 PM11/21/20
In article <58d3017391b...@btinternet.com>,
Brian Jordan <brian....@btinternet.com> wrote:
> I access my NAS from this RISC OS RPi with !FTPc. This is fine for
> transferring files (obviously!) but I wonder if there is any way in
> which I can run, correctly file typed, files directly from a
> directory viewer without first dragging them to the RPi? I ask more
> out of interest than necessity. B

I have a Synology NAS, and use LanMan[98] or even NFS via Omni to open
filer directorories.

Wjat is your NAS?
Have you tried LanMan?

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid

Chris Hughes

Nov 21, 2020, 2:30:57 PM11/21/20
In message <58d3017391b...@btinternet.com>
Brian Jordan <brian....@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I access my NAS from this RISC OS RPi with !FTPc. This is fine for
> transferring files (obviously!) but I wonder if there is any way in which
> I can run, correctly file typed, files directly from a directory viewer
> without first dragging them to the RPi? I ask more out of interest than
> necessity. B

I have several Synology NAS's and use LanMan98 to access files and save
files to them. Even use !SafeStore to backup my ARMx6 to the NAS daily,
obviously with that I have to tell it to use LanMan98 to access the NAS.

--
Chris Hughes

druck

Nov 21, 2020, 4:37:02 PM11/21/20
On 21/11/2020 18:28, Brian Jordan wrote:
> I access my NAS from this RISC OS RPi with !FTPc. This is fine for
> transferring files (obviously!) but I wonder if there is any way in which
> I can run, correctly file typed, files directly from a directory viewer
> without first dragging them to the RPi? I ask more out of interest than
> necessity. B

FTP is a file transfer protocol, it only allows copying files. You need
to use a network filing system such as !SunFish (NFS) or LanmanFS /
Lanman98 (SMB).

---druck

Brian Jordan

Nov 21, 2020, 7:54:04 PM11/21/20
Martin, Chris, druck

Thanks for your prompt replies. I use LanMan98 [2.06 (15 Oct 2015)]
between my Windows 10 PC and my RPi. For some reason I believed (clearly
wrongly) that LanMan98 wouldn't work between the RPi and my Synology NAS.
I have tried setting up a link to the NAS this evening and get as far as
an 'Access denied' message when trying to connect. This suggests to me
that somewhere in File Station on the NAS there must be a sharing setting
which I can't find. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what I am
missing. Thanks B

In article <58d3017391b...@btinternet.com>,

Martin

Nov 22, 2020, 5:21:55 AM11/22/20
In article <58d324c34eb...@btinternet.com>,
Brian Jordan <brian....@btinternet.com> wrote:
> I use LanMan98 [2.06 (15 Oct 2015)] between my Windows 10 PC and my
> RPi. For some reason I believed (clearly wrongly) that LanMan98
> wouldn't work between the RPi and my Synology NAS. I have tried
> setting up a link to the NAS this evening and get as far as an
> 'Access denied' message when trying to connect. This suggests to me
> that somewhere in File Station on the NAS there must be a sharing
> setting which I can't find. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to
> what I am missing.

Check that the userid and password that you have given in the LM98
mount matches one in Control Panel -> Shared Folder -> Edit ->
Permissions - the user should have Read/Write access on the Synology.

You may have to define a suitable user on the Synology first.

You can PM me if you want further details (but not at this address
please).

Martin

Brian Jordan

Nov 22, 2020, 7:00:33 AM11/22/20
In article <58d358bd...@avisoft.f9.co.uk>,
Martin <New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> > what I am missing.

> Check that the userid and password that you have given in the LM98
> mount matches one in Control Panel -> Shared Folder -> Edit ->
> Permissions - the user should have Read/Write access on the Synology.

[Snip]

Thank you Martin, so blindingly obvious now you have explained it! All
working a needed now.

Rod at Orpheusmail

Nov 23, 2020, 4:43:46 AM11/23/20
In article <58d324c34eb...@btinternet.com>,
Brian Jordan <brian....@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Martin, Chris, druck

> Thanks for your prompt replies. I use LanMan98 [2.06 (15 Oct 2015)] between
> my Windows 10 PC and my RPi. For some reason I believed (clearly wrongly)
> that LanMan98 wouldn't work between the RPi and my Synology NAS. I have
> tried setting up a link to the NAS this evening and get as far as an
> 'Access denied' message when trying to connect. This suggests to me that
> somewhere in File Station on the NAS there must be a sharing setting which
> I can't find. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what I am missing.
> Thanks B

I also use Synology NAS boxes with LanMan98 without problems.
In 'File Station' select the folder you want to access/share.
Then Settings => Shared Links and complete as appropriate
Then goto Control Panel => Shared Folders => Edit => Permissions so you can
grant access.
In the LanMan98 'New' entry box "Share" is the name of the shared folder as
it appears in File Station. "User name" is the name in "Permissions" and
"Password" is the NAS box password.

HTH

> [snip]

Kind regards
Rod

--
Rod Grover
gro...@orpheusmail.co.uk

Brian Jordan

Nov 23, 2020, 5:49:33 AM11/23/20
In article <58d3d90d...@orpheusmail.co.uk>,
Rod at Orpheusmail <Gro...@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> I also use Synology NAS boxes with LanMan98 without problems. In 'File
> Station' select the folder you want to access/share. Then Settings =>
> Shared Links and complete as appropriate Then goto Control Panel =>
> Shared Folders => Edit => Permissions so you can grant access. In the
> LanMan98 'New' entry box "Share" is the name of the shared folder as it
> appears in File Station. "User name" is the name in "Permissions" and
> "Password" is the NAS box password.

[Snip]
Thank you. That was indeed the bit I had missed, all is now well. B