Drobe in stasis

3 views
Skip to first unread message

Dave Higton

unread,
Jun 15, 2007, 3:58:55 PM6/15/07
to
Is the RISC OS scene really as dead as Drobe makes it out to be?
Here we are, halfway through June, and there hasn't been an
update on the Drobe site since late May.

The "Photodesk in rewrite rumour" item on the news ticker is an
oddity, too. It only points to CJE's website, which means there's
a headline but zero content.

Dave

Message has been deleted

Rob Kendrick

unread,
Jun 15, 2007, 5:26:27 PM6/15/07
to
Dave Higton wrote:
> Is the RISC OS scene really as dead as Drobe makes it out to be?
> Here we are, halfway through June, and there hasn't been an
> update on the Drobe site since late May.

Chris is currently in the middle of a house move, and has no internet
access at the new place, and is dealing with his RiscPC's hard disc
having gone south on him. I'm sure he'll be back soon.

B.

diodesign

unread,
Jun 15, 2007, 9:30:27 PM6/15/07
to
Hi,

On 15 Jun, 20:58, Dave Higton <davehig...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> Is the RISC OS scene really as dead as Drobe makes it out to be?
> Here we are, halfway through June, and there hasn't been an
> update on the Drobe site since late May.

Long gone are my carefree university days when I could spend three to
six hours a day gathering news, and writing and editing articles for
drobe. Now in full-time media employment with understandable irregular
hours, I'd be lucky to spend three to six hours a week on the site.

I remember being able to easily update the site every day with at
least a couple of articles; sadly, this is no longer the case and I'm
just as depressed by it as you are. When things are happening, it is
exciting to get information out there, often news that doesn't appear
anywhere else. But the RISC OS scene is not as active as it once was,
that's just the way it is.

Drobe started in 1999 and has gradually grown from an awkwardly
written, sarcastic minnow of a website to something that a lot of
people read. After nearly eight years of content published freely for
all, I think we can deserve to be cut some slack :)

Anyone with the necessary experience and literacy willing to take on
updating the site during the day should step forward. Any article
submissions are gratefully received, as always. Otherwise, I'll have
to significantly change the format of the site into an NTK/popbitch/
ANS style publication with a side discussion forum in order to match
the change in pace.

> The "Photodesk in rewrite rumour" item on the news ticker is an
> oddity, too. It only points to CJE's website, which means there's
> a headline but zero content.

CJE Micros haven't replied to my email about it, so I'm relying on
suitably informed sources. I'd follow it up into a full article but I
haven't the time. The Quickies are supposed to be just that, quick
bits of news. I've updated it to point to the new fast version of
RPCEmu.

Anyway, I'm sorry things are slow. I'm out of free time at the moment,
(and as Rob pointed out), I've been moving house, I have no Internet
connection to speak of, and my RiscPC's hard disc died with a disc
error 13. Before the move, I had also been doing a bit of programming
on the RiscPC and A9home. However, there's only one of me, and I enjoy
having a social life, my job and getting paid. Sorry :)

Chris / drobe.co.uk

Aaron

unread,
Jun 16, 2007, 5:57:27 AM6/16/07
to
On Jun 16, 2:30?am, diodesign <diodes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 15 Jun, 20:58, Dave Higton <davehig...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> > Is the RISC OS scene really as dead as Drobe makes it out to be?
> > Here we are, halfway through June, and there hasn't been an
> > update on the Drobe site since late May.
>
> Long gone are my carefree university days when I could spend three to
> six hours a day gathering news, and writing and editing articles for
> drobe. Now in full-time media employment with understandable irregular
> hours, I'd be lucky to spend three to six hours a week on the site.

I think that's quite understandable.

> I remember being able to easily update the site every day with at
> least a couple of articles; sadly, this is no longer the case and I'm
> just as depressed by it as you are. When things are happening, it is
> exciting to get information out there, often news that doesn't appear
> anywhere else. But the RISC OS scene is not as active as it once was,
> that's just the way it is.

The market may not be as busy as it once was but there is still plenty
of news about. The last article on Drobe as on the 28th of May.
Since that date there have been 14 other annoucements on
Comp.Sys.Acorn.Announce.

> Drobe started in 1999 and has gradually grown from an awkwardly
> written, sarcastic minnow of a website to something that a lot of
> people read. After nearly eight years of content published freely for
> all, I think we can deserve to be cut some slack :)

Indeed - but why not put up an announcement on Drobe?

> Anyone with the necessary experience and literacy willing to take on
> updating the site during the day should step forward. Any article
> submissions are gratefully received, as always. Otherwise, I'll have
> to significantly change the format of the site into an NTK/popbitch/
> ANS style publication with a side discussion forum in order to match
> the change in pace.

That would be a shame - Drobe is a useful site for RISC OS news,
provided one is prepared to realise that everything on there might
not be true, or complete :-)

> > The "Photodesk in rewrite rumour" item on the news ticker is an
> > oddity, too. It only points to CJE's website, which means there's
> > a headline but zero content.
>
> CJE Micros haven't replied to my email about it, so I'm relying on
> suitably informed sources. I'd follow it up into a full article but I
> haven't the time. The Quickies are supposed to be just that, quick
> bits of news. I've updated it to point to the new fast version of
> RPCEmu.

Quickies are an excellent feature on Drobe.

>
> Anyway, I'm sorry things are slow. I'm out of free time at the moment,
> (and as Rob pointed out), I've been moving house, I have no Internet
> connection to speak of, and my RiscPC's hard disc died with a disc
> error 13. Before the move, I had also been doing a bit of programming
> on the RiscPC and A9home. However, there's only one of me, and I enjoy
> having a social life, my job and getting paid. Sorry :)

That's fair enough. Running site like Drobe costs time and money.
As far as I can see Chris has been "funding" Drobe himself for some
time. It would be a shame to see it close :-(

Perhaps it's time for someone else to take over the day to day
running of the site?

Aaron

John Cartmell

unread,
Jun 16, 2007, 4:59:31 AM6/16/07
to
In article <1181957427.7...@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, diodesign

<diod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, there's only one of me, and I enjoy having a social life, my job
> and getting paid.

Totally unreasonable expectations. ;-)

--
John Cartmell jo...@finnybank.com 0845 006 8822 or 0161 969 9820
Qercus magazine FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527 www.finnybank.com
Qercus - the best guide to RISC OS computing

diodesign

unread,
Jun 16, 2007, 6:46:25 AM6/16/07
to
On 16 Jun, 10:57, Aaron <atimbr...@aol.com> wrote:

[ snip - ROS market not being as active as it was ]

> The market may not be as busy as it once was but there is
> still plenty of news about. The last article on Drobe as
> on the 28th of May. Since that date there have been 14
> other annoucements on Comp.Sys.Acorn.Announce.

And yet with no one else willing to do write ups of them, you'll have
to wait for me to have a free moment. And I'm away this weekend.

> That would be a shame - Drobe is a useful site for
> RISC OS news, provided one is prepared to realise that
> everything on there might not be true, or complete :-)

The above message was brought to you by Aaron Timbrell, director of
ROL, manager of VirtualAcorn and editor of RiscWorld - Drobe is a
thorn in their side because we won't write what they'd like us to
publish.

> Perhaps it's time for someone else to take over the day
> to day running of the site?

As I said, that would require someone to step forward.

Chris.

Aaron

unread,
Jun 16, 2007, 9:48:37 AM6/16/07
to
On 16 Jun, 11:46, diodesign <diodes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 Jun, 10:57, Aaron <atimbr...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> [ snip - ROS market not being as active as it was ]
>
> > The market may not be as busy as it once was but there is
> > still plenty of news about. The last article on Drobe as
> > on the 28th of May. Since that date there have been 14
> > other annoucements on Comp.Sys.Acorn.Announce.
>
> And yet with no one else willing to do write ups of them, you'll have
> to wait for me to have a free moment. And I'm away this weekend.

As I said quite understandable.

>
> > That would be a shame - Drobe is a useful site for
> > RISC OS news, provided one is prepared to realise that
> > everything on there might not be true, or complete :-)
>
> The above message was brought to you by Aaron Timbrell, director of
> ROL, manager of VirtualAcorn and editor of RiscWorld - Drobe is a
> thorn in their side because we won't write what they'd like us to
> publish.

Hit a nerve there then :-)

>
> > Perhaps it's time for someone else to take over the day
> > to day running of the site?
>
> As I said, that would require someone to step forward.

Absolutely, any takers?

Aaron


Steve Potts

unread,
Jun 16, 2007, 7:43:20 PM6/16/07
to
In message <1181987847.8...@n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com>
Aaron <atim...@aol.com> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2:30?am, diodesign <diodes...@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]


>
> The market may not be as busy as it once was but there is still plenty
> of news about. The last article on Drobe as on the 28th of May.
> Since that date there have been 14 other annoucements on
> Comp.Sys.Acorn.Announce.

For anyone that's interested, people can also submit their own news /
articles to myriscos - rather than relying on administrators gathering news
and writing them up. For whatever reason, only a couple of people have
tended to do this over the last few years. I know myriscos has been
criticised for lack of updates in the past, but the reason for those lack of
updates is similar to the reason why Drobe has gone quiet recently.

As Chris has discovered in the world of work since leaving uni, it's
difficult to hold down a job in the daytime, have some kind of social life
and also maintain web sites - I also don't have much free time of late and
so have not been able to devote as much time to RISC OS matters as I would
like, but would probably find a the few minutes it takes to approve articles
(not necessarily news) submitted by others to myriscos if anyone has the
inclination - you just need to register and login to submit articles.

It's hard to get enthusiastic about rewriting other people's announcements
and newsgathering after a 14 hour+ day at work and then on other days I just
catch up on rest sometimes :-(

Myriscos is a resource waiting to be used if people want to take the time to
do so.

Steve.

http://www.myriscos.co.uk/

[snip]


--
StevePotts at blastzone DOT demon STOP co DOT uk (www.blastzone.demon.co.uk/)
Written on RISC OS.
http://www.riscos.com/

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Adam

unread,
Jun 17, 2007, 8:01:53 AM6/17/07
to
In message <6d5917f4...@blastzone.demon.co.uk>, Steve Potts wrote:

> For anyone that's interested, people can also submit their own news /
> articles to myriscos - rather than relying on administrators gathering
> news and writing them up. For whatever reason, only a couple of
> people have tended to do this over the last few years. I know
> myriscos has been criticised for lack of updates in the past, but the
> reason for those lack of updates is similar to the reason why Drobe
> has gone quiet recently.

But at least drobe managed it until very recently.


> As Chris has discovered in the world of work since leaving uni, it's
> difficult to hold down a job in the daytime, have some kind of social
> life and also maintain web sites - I also don't have much free time of
> late and so have not been able to devote as much time to RISC OS
> matters as I would like

You've just described a situation which clearly isn't working so why
persevere? Surely the best thing to do would be to find a new model
which /is/ workable?

It strikes me that if there are two news sites out there without the
resources to keep up to date, the obvious thing to do is merge and reap
some economies of scale :)

Adam

--
Adam Richardson Carpe Diem
http://www.snowstone.org.uk/riscos/

Steve Potts

unread,
Jun 18, 2007, 4:35:13 PM6/18/07
to
In message <67f75af4...@snowstone.org.uk>
Adam <ne...@snowstone.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <6d5917f4...@blastzone.demon.co.uk>, Steve Potts wrote:
>
> > For anyone that's interested, people can also submit their own news /
> > articles to myriscos - rather than relying on administrators gathering
> > news and writing them up. For whatever reason, only a couple of
> > people have tended to do this over the last few years. I know
> > myriscos has been criticised for lack of updates in the past, but the
> > reason for those lack of updates is similar to the reason why Drobe
> > has gone quiet recently.
>
> But at least drobe managed it until very recently.

Not going to get into an argument here (and probably won't respond again due
to time factors), but I've held down a demanding full time job (obviously
lots of people also do that) whilst Chris was still at Uni AIUI. Chris
himself has acknowledged that *recently* there have been reasons - including
work, why Drobe is updated less. I have noticed spells of Drobe inactivity
over the last year or so (not a criticism) and put this down to Chris' lack of
spare time.

> > As Chris has discovered in the world of work since leaving uni, it's
> > difficult to hold down a job in the daytime, have some kind of social
> > life and also maintain web sites - I also don't have much free time of
> > late and so have not been able to devote as much time to RISC OS
> > matters as I would like
>
> You've just described a situation which clearly isn't working so why
> persevere? Surely the best thing to do would be to find a new model
> which /is/ workable?

Myriscos is not *my* web site. I just happen to be one of several
administrators capable of tasks such as approving article posts. The site is
made available out of the goodness of another's heart (at personal expense)
and is for the community to use. Unfortunately the other administrators are
also very busy people too, so it is down to whomever approves things first
and often this is me.

The key thing is though - and this is where myriscos and drobe differ, that
myriscos can have articles written and posted to the site by anyone and then
they just need approving. The trouble is that members of the community have
not been using the resource in the way it was intended. Therefore for quite
a while, *I* was the only one writing articles for the site and then
approving my own posts - something which I don't really want to do for
several reasons.

Approving other's posts also takes far less time than creating your own from
scratch and if people choose to post stuff it is highly likely (subject to
being appropriate) to be approved within a few days (Internet access
permitting).

> It strikes me that if there are two news sites out there without the
> resources to keep up to date, the obvious thing to do is merge and reap
> some economies of scale :)

No, myriscos has the resources to approve postings, what is lacking is
community input, my original comment on this thread was an attempt to
highlight this fact.

Regards
Steve.

Adam

unread,
Jun 19, 2007, 12:45:52 PM6/19/07
to
On 18 Jun, 21:35, Steve Potts <nos...@all.invaliid> wrote:
> In message <67f75af44e.ad...@snowstone.org.uk>
> Adam <n...@snowstone.org.uk> wrote:

>
> > In message <6d5917f44e.nos...@blastzone.demon.co.uk>, Steve Potts wrote:
>
> > > For anyone that's interested, people can also submit their own news /
> > > articles to myriscos - rather than relying on administrators gathering
> > > news and writing them up. For whatever reason, only a couple of
> > > people have tended to do this over the last few years. I know
> > > myriscos has been criticised for lack of updates in the past, but the
> > > reason for those lack of updates is similar to the reason why Drobe
> > > has gone quiet recently.
>
> > But at least drobe managed it until very recently.
>
> Not going to get into an argument here

I wasn't trying to criticise you for not updating myriscos. Of course
we all have commitments and we have to juggle our time etc. However...

> The trouble is that members of the community have
> not been using the resource in the way it was intended.

Doesn't this suggest the the model for the site isn't appropriate? If
it relies on public contributions and isn't getting any, then surely
it's time for a re-think, rather than just persevering with a site
which isn't working as intended?

> > It strikes me that if there are two news sites out there without the
> > resources to keep up to date, the obvious thing to do is merge and reap
> > some economies of scale :)

OK "merge" was probably a bit strong - imagine I said "pool resources"
instead ;)

> No,

Why not? Both drobe and myriscos (and various other sites) claim to be
news sites so there *must* be ways in which they can pool their
resources. Off the top of my head if Chris' interest is in producing
good quality articles and yours is in helping the administration of a
news site then presumably Chris could send you articles? (I'm not
advocating this specific solution - it's just a hypothetical example
of how things might be improved.)

Adam

Aaron

unread,
Jun 20, 2007, 5:46:30 AM6/20/07
to
I noticed this morning that Drobe has a new article published.

Hopefully this means that Chris has got his RiscPC back
with the harddisc problem fixed :-)

Looking at the problem of keeping news sites updated I
wasn't aware that myriscos had a facility for
registered users to submit articles. It may be that others
aren't aware of this either. It might be worth putting out
an announcement to this effect to other developers.

Aaron


Gavin Wraith

unread,
Jun 20, 2007, 6:30:59 AM6/20/07
to
In message <1182332790....@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>
Aaron <atim...@aol.com> wrote:

> Looking at the problem of keeping news sites updated I
> wasn't aware that myriscos had a facility for
> registered users to submit articles. It may be that others
> aren't aware of this either. It might be worth putting out
> an announcement to this effect to other developers.

I tried to register on myriscos but could not because it uses
Javascript and I use NetSurf. Also, I believe that some part of
using myriscos requires cookies to be enabled; something I am
not prepared to mess with.
Forgive me making an obvious point: if a website is created to
draw input from RISC OS users then it must be accessible to them.
Rewriting a website so as not to use client-side scripting is an
awful lot easier than creating a javascript- and css-capable
browser.

--
Gavin Wraith (ga...@wra1th.plus.com)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/

Message has been deleted

Rob Kendrick

unread,
Jun 20, 2007, 8:18:12 AM6/20/07
to
Paul Vigay wrote:
> In article <ae26def5...@wra1th.plus.com>,

> Gavin Wraith <ga...@wra1th.plus.com> wrote:
>> Forgive me making an obvious point: if a website is created to draw input
>> from RISC OS users then it must be accessible to them. Rewriting a
>> website so as not to use client-side scripting is an awful lot easier
>> than creating a javascript- and css-capable browser.
>
> I agree,
>
> People could always contribute articles to RISCOS.org - which is fully
> tested on all RISC OS web browsers, and also includes a free search engine
> for over 2000 software items. :-)

Given there really isn't room for so many "portal" sites, why don't you
all club together and create MyRISCdrobebar.org rather than replying to
this thread saying "well, you *could* write for my site!"? :)

B.

Paul Stewart

unread,
Jun 20, 2007, 8:45:13 AM6/20/07
to
In message <46791b04$0$27845$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk>
Rob Kendrick <nn...@rjek.com> wrote:

> B.
Or perhaps you could reply to Chris with a "i'm willing to help"
email, rather than create any new site.

Regards
--
Paul Stewart - Far Bletchley, Milton Keynes, England.
(msn:sa...@hotmail.com)

Be Bold. Dare To Be Different. Use RISC OS (http://www.riscos.com).
It's blue and from outta town - The A9home
(http://www.advantage6.co.uk/A9hsplash.html).
A9home Compatibility page -
(http://www.phawfaux.co.uk/a9home/compatibility.asp).

Tony Moore

unread,
Jun 20, 2007, 2:42:02 PM6/20/07
to
On 20 Jun 2007, Gavin Wraith <ga...@wra1th.plus.com> wrote:

[snip]

> ... I use NetSurf. Also, I believe that some part of using myriscos


> requires cookies to be enabled; something I am not prepared to mess
> with.

Cookies are enabled by default in NetSurf, and I am not aware of any way
of disabling them. Iconbar menu > Open > Show cookies... to see what has
been saved already.

Tony


diodesign

unread,
Jun 20, 2007, 3:38:56 PM6/20/07
to
On 20 Jun, 10:46, Aaron <atimbr...@aol.com> wrote:
> I noticed this morning that Drobe has a new article published.

Yeah, and another on its way by Thursday evening. I've had some emails
from people offering help, so once I've had a chat with them, things
should progress.

> Hopefully this means that Chris has got his RiscPC back
> with the harddisc problem fixed :-)

Nope, the RiscPC is in storage along with its failed hard disc as it
didn't join me in the move. Druck gave me some advice on getting as
much as possible off the dead disc, but I don't have time right now to
dig it all out. It's an original RiscPC 600 with a StrongARM card and
an 80GB Maxtor hard disc. It's had a good innings given it's over a
decade old. The only problem is my last full back up was taken in
2004.

Chris.

Aaron

unread,
Jun 21, 2007, 5:04:25 AM6/21/07
to
On Jun 20, 8:38?pm, diodesign <diodes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 Jun, 10:46, Aaron <atimbr...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > I noticed this morning that Drobe has a new article published.
>
> Yeah, and another on its way by Thursday evening. I've had some emails
> from people offering help, so once I've had a chat with them, things
> should progress.

Sounds like good news to me.

> > Hopefully this means that Chris has got his RiscPC back
> > with the harddisc problem fixed :-)
>
> Nope, the RiscPC is in storage along with its failed hard disc as it
> didn't join me in the move. Druck gave me some advice on getting as
> much as possible off the dead disc, but I don't have time right now to
> dig it all out. It's an original RiscPC 600 with a StrongARM card and
> an 80GB Maxtor hard disc. It's had a good innings given it's over a
> decade old. The only problem is my last full back up was taken in
> 2004.

Bugger :-(

Aaron


John Cartmell

unread,
Jun 21, 2007, 2:01:07 PM6/21/07
to
In article <1182368336.2...@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, diodesign

<diod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The only problem is my last full back up was taken in 2004.

This could start a thread of 'serve you right' - but every sympathy.

Bryan

unread,
Jun 21, 2007, 2:26:11 PM6/21/07
to
In message <1182416665....@c77g2000hse.googlegroups.com>
Aaron <atim...@aol.com> wrote:

> Bugger :-(

> Aaron

I remember a company by the name of GreyMatter many years ago who
dealt with data recovery from broken disks - not sure if they're still
around...

Bryan

--
Using an Iyonix Aria Cube running Risc OS 5.13 and Virtual RPC Adjust
4.39 running on a PC.

AW

unread,
Jun 22, 2007, 3:03:25 PM6/22/07
to
In message <1182368336.2...@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>
diodesign <diod...@gmail.com> wrote:

Any plans for an Iyonix?

Shame Castle doesn't put some new adverts out.

Andrew

Steve Potts

unread,
Jun 25, 2007, 1:45:12 PM6/25/07
to

Thanks for those thoughts. Myriscos has had that facility from the outset
and I thought it had been publicised at its birth, but maybe as you say this
needs to be done again.

Cheers.

Steve Potts

unread,
Jun 25, 2007, 1:58:17 PM6/25/07
to
In message <ae26def5...@wra1th.plus.com>
Gavin Wraith <ga...@wra1th.plus.com> wrote:

Myriscos uses a website management package available in the wider community
and is effectively "off the shelf", although I *think* it is free. The
running of the website and choice of tools is entirely down to its owner,
he's a very busy person and so has chosen a tool to do a job which makes his
life relatively easy.

Whilst I agree to some extent with the sentiment about Javascript, without it
the site wouldn't exist because it is highly unlikely the owner would be
producing a custom application for the purpose when he uses standard tools
for everything else. Some may believe that would be a good thing, but I'm
not getting into that argument. Instead what I would say is that RISC OS
browsers are deficient in several areas - much more important areas to most
people than the myriscos portal, and so many people have already got access
to a Windoze Box or Linux Box for these other things and so can use RISC OS
for these too.

For some administration tasks, I can use Netsurf, but mostly I resort to
either Firefox on the A9, or Firefox on Windows. Again, I have access to
Windows for other reasons, so I *also* use it for the admin.

As far as cookies are concerned, I *think* this is related to logon status
and if it bothers people that much, these can quite easily be deleted after
use. There are far more websites out there using such things for more
sinister purposes than myriscos.

Thanks for your comments.

Steve Potts

unread,
Jun 25, 2007, 2:04:45 PM6/25/07
to
In message <557e8df6...@btinternet.com>
Bryan <bryan...@btinternet.com> wrote:

[snip]


>
> I remember a company by the name of GreyMatter many years ago who
> dealt with data recovery from broken disks - not sure if they're still
> around...
>
> Bryan
>

They are (if it's the same one) and we deal with them for MSDN subscriptions,
they're cheap and useless to deal with.

Alan P Dawes

unread,
Jun 26, 2007, 6:09:14 AM6/26/07
to
In article <0ce09af8...@blastzone.demon.co.uk>,

Steve Potts <nos...@all.invaliid> wrote:
> In message <557e8df6...@btinternet.com>
> Bryan <bryan...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> [snip]
> >
> > I remember a company by the name of GreyMatter many years ago who
> > dealt with data recovery from broken disks - not sure if they're still
> > around...
> >
> > Bryan
> >
> They are (if it's the same one) and we deal with them for MSDN
> subscriptions, they're cheap and useless to deal with.

I found Xytron Ltd to be very helpful and quick when at the beginning of
last year a faulty PSU in a PC caused the heads on 2 backup drives and the
main drive to be burnt out (I'll never backup onto a drive in the same
machine again !). In a clean room they dismantled the main drive and
replaced the head, extracted all the data and put it on a new drive and
returned it to me all within 3 days of my sending it off. Chatting to the
engineer it turned out that they knew about ADFS and had recently done a
similar restoration job for someone using a RiscPC.

However it did cost £415 including the new drive.

If anyone is interested they are based in Herefordshire URL:
www.xytron.co.uk phone 01433 342742

Alan

--
alan....@argonet.co.uk
alan....@riscos.org
Using an Acorn RiscPC

Alan Calder

unread,
Jun 26, 2007, 6:52:53 AM6/26/07
to
In article <4ef8f32cef...@argonet.co.uk>, Alan P Dawes
<alan....@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > In message <557e8df6...@btinternet.com> Bryan
> > <bryan...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> > [snip]
> > >
> > > I remember a company by the name of GreyMatter many years ago who
> > > dealt with data recovery from broken disks - not sure if they're
> > > still around...

[Snip]


> I found Xytron Ltd to be very helpful and quick when at the beginning of
> last year a faulty PSU in a PC caused the heads on 2 backup drives and
> the main drive to be burnt out

[Snip]

> However it did cost £415 including the new drive.

Fascinating how cheap this seems to have become! Many years ago, about 15
at a guess, I looked about for the same service when the harddisk on the
school office server failed. Quotes were all around the 800ukp mark (lots
of money then) so it was deemed cheaper to get a new harddisk and rebuild
with what working backups we had. Lots of fun. Why didn't we just restore
from the backup tapes? Ah, well, for security the tapes were kept in the
underfloor safe in the head's office. Turned out that the once a week
system backups were being corrupted by the proximity of some heavy duty
electric cables that ran around the safe (least that is what we were told)
and which we knew nothing of. The daily incremental backups were fine as
they were never there long enough to come to harm.

Cheers

Alan

[Snip]

--
Alan Calder, Milton Keynes, UK.

se...@easyrestore.co.uk

unread,
Jun 26, 2007, 8:09:24 AM6/26/07
to
On Jun 26, 11:52 am, Alan Calder <alan_cal...@orpheusmail.co.uk>
wrote:
> In article <4ef8f32cefalan.da...@argonet.co.uk>, Alan P Dawes
>
> <alan.da...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > > In message <557e8df64e.Br...@btinternet.com> Bryan

> > > <bryanpa...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > > [snip]
>
> > > > I remember a company by the name of GreyMatter many years ago who
> > > > dealt withdatarecoveryfrom broken disks - not sure if they're

> > > > still around...
>
> [Snip]
>
> > I found Xytron Ltd to be very helpful and quick when at the beginning of
> > last year a faulty PSU in a PC caused the heads on 2 backup drives and
> > the main drive to be burnt out
>
> [Snip]
>
> > However it did cost £415 including the new drive.
>
> Fascinating how cheap this seems to have become! Many years ago, about 15
> at a guess, I looked about for the same service when the harddisk on the
> school office server failed. Quotes were all around the 800ukp mark (lots
> of money then) so it was deemed cheaper to get a new harddisk and rebuild
> with what working backups we had. Lots of fun. Why didn't we just restore
> from the backup tapes? Ah, well, for security the tapes were kept in the
> underfloor safe in the head's office. Turned out that the once a week
> system backups were being corrupted by the proximity of some heavy duty
> electric cables that ran around the safe (least that is what we were told)
> and which we knew nothing of. The daily incremental backups were fine as
> they were never there long enough to come to harm.
>
> Cheers
>
> Alan
>
> [Snip]
>
> --
> Alan Calder, Milton Keynes, UK.

Data recovery doesn't need to be as expensive as the likes of Xytron
would have you believe, but then I am very biased

Sean Moore
www.easyrestore.co.uk
Professional Data Recovery

Adam

unread,
Jun 27, 2007, 10:08:38 AM6/27/07
to
On 25 Jun, 18:45, Steve Potts <nos...@all.invaliid> wrote:
> [snip: myriscos]

Hmm, I just had a quick browse around this site and I didn't find it
very easy to use. The text appears in really tiny writing and the
articles/columns etc seem to merge into one another so you can't tell
what's what. Also, I couldn't find the "news" section - is that the
"articles" section or is that more like "features"?


Adam

Chris Evans

unread,
Jun 27, 2007, 11:47:19 AM6/27/07
to
In article <1182859764.4...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
<URL:mailto:se...@easyrestore.co.uk> wrote:

>
> Data recovery doesn't need to be as expensive as the likes of Xytron
> would have you believe, but then I am very biased

Can you recover RISC OS format drives?

If yes which types?

Chris Evans

--
CJE Micro's / 4D 'RISC OS Specialists'
Telephone: 01903 523222 Fax: 01903 523679
ch...@cjemicros.co.uk http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/
78 Brighton Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN11 2EN
The most beautiful thing anyone can wear, is a smile!

Rob Kendrick

unread,
Jun 27, 2007, 12:44:13 PM6/27/07
to
Chris Evans wrote:
> In article <1182859764.4...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
> <URL:mailto:se...@easyrestore.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Data recovery doesn't need to be as expensive as the likes of Xytron
>> would have you believe, but then I am very biased
>
> Can you recover RISC OS format drives?

One assumes many classes of drive failures don't require knowledge of
the layout of data on them. For example, controller failure or damaged
sectors: you drive the mechanism directly and copy the sectors off to
another device. Also, the scanning of the working data set for specific
file formats (JPEG, Word, etc) can be done without regard for the file
system in use.

If they do specifically support FileCore, they could do a lot worse by
doing the steps above to get the data onto a working device and then
just running Dave's DiscKnight.

B.

Steve Fryatt

unread,
Jun 27, 2007, 5:56:57 PM6/27/07
to
On 25 Jun, Steve Potts wrote in message
<76489af8...@blastzone.demon.co.uk>:

> Whilst I agree to some extent with the sentiment about Javascript,
> without it the site wouldn't exist because it is highly unlikely the
> owner would be producing a custom application for the purpose when he
> uses standard tools for everything else. Some may believe that would be
> a good thing, but I'm not getting into that argument. Instead what I
> would say is that RISC OS browsers are deficient in several areas - much
> more important areas to most people than the myriscos portal, and so
> many people have already got access to a Windoze Box or Linux Box for
> these other things and so can use RISC OS for these too.

A RISC OS news portal that doesn't work with a popular RISC OS browser?
What's the point?

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
Message has been deleted
0 new messages