BeagleBoard

Dave Higton

Apr 7, 2010, 5:16:07 PM4/7/10
Wow, I didn't realise just how good the BeagleBoard can be...

I've just played an MPEG file on it. Vision and sound! Video
appears smooth on the BeagleBoard, whereas on the Iyonix it's
jerky, presumably because the iyonix can't keep up and has to
drop frames.

Dave

RLM

Apr 8, 2010, 6:38:04 AM4/8/10

That sounds brilliant. Was it tricky to set up?

Cheers,
Becky.

davehigton

Apr 8, 2010, 7:34:23 AM4/8/10
On 8 Apr, 11:38, RLM <motherglasgowNOS...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dave Higton wrote:
> > Wow, I didn't realise just how good the BeagleBoard can be...
>
> > I've just played an MPEG file on it.  Vision and sound!  Video
> > appears smooth on the BeagleBoard, whereas on the Iyonix it's
> > jerky, presumably because the iyonix can't keep up and has to
> > drop frames.
>
> > Dave
>
> That sounds brilliant. Was it tricky to set up?

No. It's the latest version of KinoAmp and the dependencies it
needs: SharedSound and Amplayer. It needs the 32-bit versions
where these are different (I can't remember which is special, but
a web search won't take long).

There is/was a problem with the System: path, I think, because it
didn't point to all the subdirectories where modules exist. I don't
know whether the problem will still be there when I switch it on
again tonight. At worst it means some double-clicking and
shift-double-clicking so that all the required relocatable modules
are loaded.

Dave

jess

Apr 8, 2010, 9:43:50 AM4/8/10

What resolution? My Iyonix with the original video card could play
SVCD resolution and lower smoothly.

(Not quite so good now with the new card, but at least it starts every
time now.)

Bryn Evans

Apr 8, 2010, 11:26:17 AM4/8/10
In a mad moment - davehigton mumbled :

> There is/was a problem with the System: path, I think, because it
> didn't point to all the subdirectories where modules exist. I don't
> know whether the problem will still be there when I switch it on
> again tonight. At worst it means some double-clicking and
> shift-double-clicking so that all the required relocatable modules
> are loaded.

If this IS a problem, would you be able to move all the system
and third party modules into just one folder for use on this setup ?
--
|)    [
|)ryn [vans mail to - Bryn...@bryork.freeuk.com

davehigton

Apr 8, 2010, 11:48:00 AM4/8/10
On 8 Apr, 16:26, Bryn Evans <d...@a.invalid> wrote:
> In a mad moment - davehigton  mumbled :
>
> > There is/was a problem with the System: path, I think, because it
> > didn't point to all the subdirectories where modules exist.  I don't
> > know whether the problem will still be there when I switch it on
> > again tonight.  At worst it means some double-clicking and
> > shift-double-clicking so that all the required relocatable modules
> > are loaded.
>
> If this IS a problem, would you be able to move all the system
> and third party modules into just one folder for use on this setup ?

It makes more sense to create a correct System: path, rather than
move the modules to non-standard locations. It may well be that
the correct System: path is created automatically. Last night's
situation occurred just after I'd copied some new stuff into the
!System folder hierarchy, without a restart.

I shouldn't have said anything about it; I only tried late last night,
and I haven't had any chance to try a proper solution. I'll post
again when I have.

Dave

Dave Higton

Apr 8, 2010, 2:59:19 PM4/8/10
In message <99a7009f-1c7a-48ab...@30g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>
davehigton <daveh...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

Right, just tried it from a clean boot. No extra clicking is needed.
All the modules are found automatically. System$Path contains all
the required path elements.

KinoAmp has to have alignment exceptions turned off, otherwise it
just exits immediately (without doing any damage).

Dave

Dave Higton

Apr 8, 2010, 3:08:47 PM4/8/10
In message
<522713d6-9f14-4e35...@b33g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>
jess <jessha...@googlemail.com> wrote:

The screen resolution is 1280 * 1024 with 24 bit colour; the refresh
rate is 54 Hz. KinoAmp seems produce a tiny window from the video I
tried, so I ran it at 200% zoom. The window is approximately 640 *
480. CPU usage is steady at 99% for KinoAmp, but it seems to work
without dropping many (if any) frames, albeit lots of squares are
visible (it's a pop video with lots of movement). The squares are,
I believe, an artefact of inadequate processing power; it's just a
reduction in video quality, but it's /not/ breakage like when a
digital TV signal suffers interference and goes "blocky". I don't
know any of the parameters of the MPEG file itself, but it lasts
roughly 3 minutes and is 13 MiB.

Dave

jess

Apr 9, 2010, 7:12:27 AM4/9/10
On Apr 8, 8:08 pm, Dave Higton <davehig...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> The screen resolution is 1280 * 1024 with 24 bit colour; the refresh
> rate is 54 Hz.  KinoAmp seems produce a tiny window from the video I
> tried, so I ran it at 200% zoom.  The window is approximately 640 *
> 480.  CPU usage is steady at 99% for KinoAmp, but it seems to work

Is this at 200%?

> without dropping many (if any) frames, albeit lots of squares are
> visible (it's a pop video with lots of movement).  The squares are,
> I believe, an artefact of inadequate processing power; it's just a
> reduction in video quality, but it's /not/ breakage like when a
> digital TV signal suffers interference and goes "blocky".  I don't
> know any of the parameters of the MPEG file itself, but it lasts
> roughly 3 minutes and is 13 MiB.

Kinoamp can display framerate in real time (pressing a key when the
window has focus, T iirc)
It can also display the media info in a separate window.

Can the beagle board do any higher resolution, in lower colours?

cheers.
--
Jess

RLM

Apr 9, 2010, 7:51:43 AM4/9/10
davehigton wrote:
> On 8 Apr, 11:38, RLM <motherglasgowNOS...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Dave Higton wrote:
>>> Wow, I didn't realise just how good the BeagleBoard can be...
>>> I've just played an MPEG file on it. Vision and sound! Video
>>> appears smooth on the BeagleBoard, whereas on the Iyonix it's
>>> jerky, presumably because the iyonix can't keep up and has to
>>> drop frames.
>>> Dave
>> That sounds brilliant. Was it tricky to set up?
>
> No. It's the latest version of KinoAmp and the dependencies it
> needs: SharedSound and Amplayer. It needs the 32-bit versions
> where these are different (I can't remember which is special, but
> a web search won't take long).

Actually I was meaning was it easy to set up 'out the box', hooking it
up to a screen, keyboard, mouse, and getting it to boot an OS.

davehigton

Apr 9, 2010, 8:55:10 AM4/9/10

The BeagleBoard itself? Yes. You'll need a monitor with a DVI-D or
DVI-I input, plus a few oddments: SD card, USB hub, USB keyboard,
USB mouse, USB stick for HardDisc0, 5 V power supply. A case of
some sort is preferable to prevent yourself from damaging the BB by
static electricity (it's just as sensitive as any electronic equipment
-
simply it comes naked and therefore unprotected).

I'm sure there's a wiki for this, but I don't have time to look right
now,
and the location I wanted to look at appears to be down...

More later, perhaps.

Dave

davehigton

Apr 9, 2010, 8:56:57 AM4/9/10
On 9 Apr, 12:12, jess <jesshampsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 8:08 pm, Dave Higton <davehig...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> > The screen resolution is 1280 * 1024 with 24 bit colour; the refresh
> > rate is 54 Hz.  KinoAmp seems produce a tiny window from the video I
> > tried, so I ran it at 200% zoom.  The window is approximately 640 *
> > 480.  CPU usage is steady at 99% for KinoAmp, but it seems to work
>
> Is this at 200%?

Yes.

> Can the beagle board do any higher resolution, in lower colours?

No; it's the pixel rate that provides the limit, not the colour depth.
You can get higher resolution at lower frame rate, but that's
unlikely to be useful.

Dave

RLM

Apr 9, 2010, 1:40:03 PM4/9/10
davehigton wrote:
>> Actually I was meaning was it easy to set up 'out the box', hooking it
>> up to a screen, keyboard, mouse, and getting it to boot an OS.
>
> The BeagleBoard itself? Yes. You'll need a monitor with a DVI-D or
> DVI-I input, plus a few oddments: SD card, USB hub, USB keyboard,
> USB mouse, USB stick for HardDisc0, 5 V power supply. A case of
> some sort is preferable to prevent yourself from damaging the BB by
> static electricity (it's just as sensitive as any electronic equipment
> -
> simply it comes naked and therefore unprotected).

Thanks for the Info.

Eric Rucker

Apr 9, 2010, 1:57:29 PM4/9/10
On Apr 9, 8:56 am, davehigton <davehig...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> No; it's the pixel rate that provides the limit, not the colour depth.
> You can get higher resolution at lower frame rate, but that's
> unlikely to be useful.
>
> Dave

Depends on the monitor. Some monitors will take input signals down to
10 Hz or less. (Granted, the only ones I know of that can go that low
are very high-end 3840x2400 monitors - with the (not terrible) PC
hardware I use, I can only get 33 Hz without buying even more
hardware, right now - but they do exist.)

jess

Apr 15, 2010, 2:06:53 AM4/15/10
On Apr 9, 8:56 am, davehigton <davehig...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

It would be if it could do some of the low refresh rate HD TV modes.
--
Jess

Dave Higton

Apr 15, 2010, 3:24:18 PM4/15/10

Rob Kendrick

Apr 15, 2010, 7:50:26 PM4/15/10
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:24:18 +0100
Dave Higton <daveh...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> > It would be if it could do some of the low refresh rate HD TV modes.
>
> Such as?

One assumes 24 and 25Hz.

B.

Jess

Apr 17, 2010, 7:11:03 AM4/17/10
In message <20100416005...@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
Rob Kendrick <nn...@rjek.com> wrote:

Yes there is a 1920 x 1080 non-interlaced mode that works at 24 Hz,
amongst others.

(shouldn't a Risc PC be able to cope with that too, without many
colours of course)

--
Jess Iyonix

Ollie Clark

Apr 19, 2010, 9:46:12 AM4/19/10

Yes, it should.

1600x1200x60Hz = 115.2MHz pixel clock.
1920x1080x24Hz = 49.8MHz pixel clock.

In fact it should cope with 1920x1080x60Hz if I haven't got my
sums wrong.

All above modes in 256 colours (8 bpp).

Cheers,

Ollie

Dave Higton

Apr 19, 2010, 4:09:34 PM4/19/10

Resolutions?

Dave

Rob Kendrick

Apr 19, 2010, 7:36:59 PM4/19/10
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 21:09:34 +0100
Dave Higton <daveh...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> In message <20100416005...@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
> Rob Kendrick <nn...@rjek.com> wrote:

> > > Such as?
> >
> > One assumes 24 and 25Hz.
>
> Resolutions?

TV modes, such as NTSC, PAL, EDTV, 720p and 1080p?

B.

Dave Higton

Apr 20, 2010, 3:13:02 PM4/20/10
In message <20100420003...@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
Rob Kendrick <nn...@rjek.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 21:09:34 +0100
> Dave Higton <daveh...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> > In message <20100416005...@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
> > Rob Kendrick <nn...@rjek.com> wrote:

> > > One assumes 24 and 25Hz.
> >
> > Resolutions?
>
> TV modes, such as NTSC, PAL, EDTV, 720p and 1080p?

EDTV was a new one on me until a minute ago. It isn't HD TV, nor
are NTSC or PAL.

I've never taken any significant interest in HDTV. (I don't watch
much TV at all.) I thought it was about time I looked up these HD
formats. I'm surprised how many there are; Wikipedia suggests 5
at 720 lines and 3 at 1080 lines. As far as I can see, most of them
are within the pixel rate of the BeagleBoard's video system, but I
don't know if BB can generate interlaced video for the 1080i
formats.

Dave

Jess

Apr 22, 2010, 4:50:50 PM4/22/10
In message <8624100b51...@dsl.pipex.com>

Dave Higton <daveh...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> In message <20100420003...@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
> Rob Kendrick <nn...@rjek.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 21:09:34 +0100
>> Dave Higton <daveh...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>> > Resolutions?
>>
>> TV modes, such as NTSC, PAL, EDTV, 720p and 1080p?
>
> EDTV was a new one on me until a minute ago. It isn't HD TV, nor
> are NTSC or PAL.
>
> I've never taken any significant interest in HDTV. (I don't watch
> much TV at all.) I thought it was about time I looked up these HD
> formats. I'm surprised how many there are; Wikipedia suggests 5
> at 720 lines and 3 at 1080 lines. As far as I can see, most of them
> are within the pixel rate of the BeagleBoard's video system, but I
> don't know if BB can generate interlaced video for the 1080i
> formats.

the 720 definitions are irrelevant here, since the board can do
similar sized computer modes.

However the 24, 25 and 30 1080p resolutions should be relatively easy
to find a monitor for.

--
Jess Iyonix