ROX desktop

Andy McMullon

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
In article <ap.e027e64946.a...@argonet.co.uk>, Thomas Leonard
<URL:mailto:tal...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> The ROX desktop aims to provide a RISC OS style GUI on Unix/Linux
> machines. Currently the filer is mostly finished and the desktop already
> supports drag-and-drop loading and saving, application directories and an
> iconbar (of sorts).
>
> I've put some screenshots on my web site:
> <http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~tal197/ROX/screenshots.html>
>
> You can also download the core components (filer, session manager and text
> editor).
>
> I'm looking for people to try out the desktop and send me feedback. You
> need access to a Unix or Linux machine (but root access is not required).
>
> The ROX homepage is at:
> <http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~tal197/ROX/index.html>

Yippee!

Now all we need to do is persuade people to port all our favourite RISC
OS apps to Linux........

;-)

Well done!

--
Andy: skyp...@bigfoot.com / http://www.mcfamily.demon.co.uk

Robert Seago

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
In article <ant23180...@mcfamily.demon.co.uk>, Andy McMullon

Yes Indeed.

Has anyone tried it yet?

Regards from : Using a : Software for RiscOS:Conservation Pages
Robert Seago : StrongArm RiscPC : http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rjseago/

Thomas Leonard

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
Robert Seago <rjs...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <ant23180...@mcfamily.demon.co.uk>, Andy McMullon
> <URL:mailto:skyp...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> In article <ap.e027e64946.a...@argonet.co.uk>, Thomas Leonard
>> <URL:mailto:tal...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

>> > The ROX homepage is at:
>> > <http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~tal197/ROX/index.html>
>>
>> Yippee!
>>
>> Now all we need to do is persuade people to port all our favourite RISC
>> OS apps to Linux........
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> Well done!
>>
> Yes Indeed.

> Has anyone tried it yet?

Several ;-) The first release seems to work under the various Linux flavours
judging from the emails I've been getting. Hopefully, the second release
(which I've just put up) will also work on NetBSD and IRIX thanks to the
feedback I've had so far. We're still working on the Solaris problems...

So come on... who's going to start porting things then? Or modifying
existing X apps (which might be quite a lot easier!) ...

Thanks for all the emails people :-)

Thomas Leonard
--
tal...@ecs.soton.ac.uk
3rd year computer science

Robert Seago

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
In article <37f5...@news.ecs.soton.ac.uk>, Thomas Leonard

> We're still working on the Solaris problems...

A long job ? :)
> So come on... who's going to start porting things then? Or modifying
> existing X apps (which might be quite a lot easier!) ...
>
> Thanks for all the emails people :-)
>

> Thomas Leonard

I wonder if Guttorm may consider porting something.

Thomas Leonard

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
Robert Seago <rjs...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <37f5...@news.ecs.soton.ac.uk>, Thomas Leonard
>> We're still working on the Solaris problems...
>>
> A long job ? :)

My Solaris tester has got it working now, although he had to disable the code
for mounting and unmounting things to do it...

[ snip ]

> I wonder if Guttorm may consider porting something.

We're pretty well supplied with text editors here ;-), but StrongHelp... now
that could be useful...

Ian Rawlings

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
Thomas Leonard <tal...@ower.ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> StrongHelp... now that could be useful...

Nooo! There's nothing wrong with HTML, we don't need *more*
proprietary standards!

*sob*

I always hated stronghelp, preferring the text file instead..

--
There are no facts, only opinions
*NOTE* email munging in action, delete obvious bit to reply.

Rob Dimond

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
In message <86emf9m...@spannung.tarcus.org.uk>
Ian Rawlings <Ia...@tarcus.DUMPTHISBIT.org.uk> wrote:

> Thomas Leonard <tal...@ower.ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > StrongHelp... now that could be useful...
>
> Nooo! There's nothing wrong with HTML, we don't need *more*
> proprietary standards!
>
> *sob*
>
> I always hated stronghelp, preferring the text file instead..

StrongHelp is _brilliant_ (as is StrongEd).

Anyone else?

--
_
|_) _ |_ robd...@cwcom.net r...@drobe.dabsol.co.uk
| \(_)|_)

Thomas Leonard

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Ian Rawlings <Ia...@tarcus.dumpthisbit.org.uk> wrote:
> Thomas Leonard <tal...@ower.ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

>> StrongHelp... now that could be useful...

> Nooo! There's nothing wrong with HTML, we don't need *more*
> proprietary standards!

> *sob*

> I always hated stronghelp, preferring the text file instead..

Erm... they *are* text files (well, inside anyway!). And they take up
less screen space, and StrongHelp loads faster than Netscape...

A very minimal HTML viewer would be OK too (I think Guttorm said he
would have used HTML if he was writing it again, anyway). What I meant
was that a small, fast, minimal, hypertext help viewer could be
useful...

Happy now? ;-)

S G

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Thomas Leonard <tal...@klf.ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> What I meant was that a small, fast, minimal, hypertext help viewer
> could be useful...

There was/is one isn't there? !Hiper by Andrew Hunter

--
Stewart Goldwater <http://www.janus.freeserve.co.uk/>

Ian Rawlings

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Thomas Leonard <tal...@klf.ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> Ian Rawlings <Ia...@tarcus.dumpthisbit.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I always hated stronghelp, preferring the text file instead..
>
> Erm... they *are* text files (well, inside anyway!). And they take
> up less screen space, and StrongHelp loads faster than Netscape...

*anything* loads faster than Netbloat Memory-filligator...

I think I *did* know they were text files, I seem to remember
converting them back to text files as I preferred to have !Zap pop the
file up and let me read it rather than have some weird app appear. To
be honest I don't think I ever even gave stronghelp a chance, I just
never liked such things in the first place.. A few programs used to
load some odd app or a drawfile for the !Help entry, being as memory
was often at a premium and loading apps often resulted in memory being
used that wasn't reclaimable, I tried to keep my app-loading to a
minimum.

> Happy now? ;-)

Never!

Carl Hetherington

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
In message <22f86e4c49%dr...@drobe.dabsol.co.uk>
Rob Dimond <dr...@drobe.dabsol.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <86emf9m...@spannung.tarcus.org.uk>

> Ian Rawlings <Ia...@tarcus.DUMPTHISBIT.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > Thomas Leonard <tal...@ower.ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:
> >
> > > StrongHelp... now that could be useful...
> >
> > Nooo! There's nothing wrong with HTML, we don't need *more*
> > proprietary standards!
> >
> > *sob*
> >

> > I always hated stronghelp, preferring the text file instead..
> >

> StrongHelp is _brilliant_ (as is StrongEd).
>
> Anyone else?

I could probably do without it for documentation but its hotkey lookup of
OSLib/Assembler/BASIC/SWIs &c &c is unlivablewithoutable. I don't know how
anyone programs without it... ;-)

Carl