Speak and Pies

Tim Hill

Feb 4, 2022, 6:34:48 AM2/4/22

When I was installing the latest Raspian on a Pi the other day it told me
(literally, it spoke) how to activate the screen reader.

Imagine my shock that it sounded exactly the same as Speak on RISC OS and
I was confused at first as I thought Pluto had a new feature. Perhaps
this illustrates the danger of routing six devices though a mixer to one
amplifier!

Now, I realise that the phonemes used to construct words may be common
across both platforms, so they may be bound to sound the same, but of
course I wondered if there was some other link?

The 'chipmunk' thread elsewhere in this parish made me realise that,
equipped with both OSes, it may be a good idea not to use the standard
voice on RISC OS to avoid any confusion or, like Daleks, perhaps our
devices should flash a couple of LEDs when they speak so we know which of
them is speaking.

--

Tim Hill
Webmaster, https://timil.com

websites : php : RISC OS

Stuart

Feb 4, 2022, 10:11:06 AM2/4/22
In article <59b571...@invalid.org.uk>,
Tim Hill <t...@invalid.org.uk> wrote:

> Imagine my shock that it sounded exactly the same as Speak on RISC OS and
> I was confused at first as I thought Pluto had a new feature. Perhaps
> this illustrates the danger of routing six devices though a mixer to one
> amplifier!

> Now, I realise that the phonemes used to construct words may be common
> across both platforms, so they may be bound to sound the same, but of
> course I wondered if there was some other link?

Same author

http://espeak.sourceforge.net/

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Chris Newman

Feb 4, 2022, 10:45:37 AM2/4/22
wrote:

> it may be a good idea not to use the standard voice on RISC OS to avoid > any confusion

What is the Standard RISC OS Voice. AccessingeSpeakfrom Pluto gives me a
list of 13 voices.

--
Chris Newman

Theo

Feb 4, 2022, 11:13:57 AM2/4/22
Stuart <Spa...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <59b571...@invalid.org.uk>,
> Tim Hill <t...@invalid.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > Now, I realise that the phonemes used to construct words may be common
> > across both platforms, so they may be bound to sound the same, but of
> > course I wondered if there was some other link?
>
> Same author
>
> http://espeak.sourceforge.net/

Who also wrote Pluto.

Theo

Tim Hill

Feb 4, 2022, 12:15:36 PM2/4/22
In article <59b58a5a...@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
The default one. Zero.

Tim Hill

Feb 4, 2022, 12:15:36 PM2/4/22
In article <59b58731...@argonet.co.uk>, Stuart
<Spa...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <59b571...@invalid.org.uk>, Tim Hill
> <t...@invalid.org.uk> wrote:

> > Imagine my shock that it sounded exactly the same as Speak on RISC OS
> > and I was confused at first as I thought Pluto had a new feature.
> > Perhaps this illustrates the danger of routing six devices though a
> > mixer to one amplifier!

> > Now, I realise that the phonemes used to construct words may be
> > common across both platforms, so they may be bound to sound the same,
> > but of course I wondered if there was some other link?

> Same author

> http://espeak.sourceforge.net/

That explains a lot!!

Stuart

Feb 4, 2022, 3:48:10 PM2/4/22
In article <I7i*Wq...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Indeed he did, which is why it is (or cetainly was) supplied with !Pluto

Paul Stewart

Feb 4, 2022, 4:26:30 PM2/4/22
When I noticed this subject, for some reason I though of bubble and squeak
pies as in the the kind baked in an oven lol

--
Paul Stewart
Sent from A9home running RISC OS 4.42

Chris Newman

Feb 4, 2022, 5:31:33 PM2/4/22
In article <59b592...@invalid.org.uk>, Tim Hill <t...@invalid.org.uk>
wrote:
> In article <59b58a5a...@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
> <cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:
> > In article <59b571...@invalid.org.uk>, Tim Hill
> > <t...@invalid.org.uk> wrote:

> > > it may be a good idea not to use the standard voice on RISC OS to
> > > avoid > any confusion

> > What is the Standard RISC OS Voice. AccessingeSpeakfrom Pluto gives me
> > a list of 13 voices.

> The default one. Zero.

My zero says (None). Duh! Seems silly.

--
Chris Newman

Dave

Feb 5, 2022, 3:40:56 AM2/5/22
In article <59b5af83...@waitrose.com>,
Chris Newman <cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:
> In article <59b592...@invalid.org.uk>, Tim Hill <t...@invalid.org.uk>
> wrote:
> > In article <59b58a5a...@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
> > <cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > > What is the Standard RISC OS Voice. AccessingeSpeakfrom Pluto gives
> > > me a list of 13 voices.

> > The default one. Zero.

> My zero says (None). Duh! Seems silly.

But it does speak...

My question is... Why would you want a silly Croak voice in the list?

Now that is silly! :-(

Dave

--

Dave Triffid