Re: London Show News, Sat 30th Oct 2021 (corrected)

Folderol

Oct 22, 2021, 2:01:37 PM10/22/21
On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 14:04:01 +0100
London Show <show...@riscoslondonshow.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>ones :-)
>
>Some things to look out for:
>
>- Speaking of making new friends, fresh faced Archive editor Gavin Smith
>will be attending his first show. Do say hello, collect the latest issue
>hot off the press, or sign up for a subscription.
>
>- If you prefer your magazines more virtual, Drag n Drop will have the
>latest PDF issues and CDs of books for sale.
>
>- RISCOSbits will be showing off their range of FOURtress models, plus
>some major new developments including a Pi4 LapDock and a top secret
>collaboration project that is of benefit to RISC OS and Linux users.
>
>- RISC OS Developments will be on hand to answer questions about the
>progress on the web browser, new network stack, and other projects.
>
>- With the help of Paul Emerton, we will be running a software
>preservation service - bring your old discs (BBC and Archimedes) and
>we'll take an image of it while-u-wait.
>
>- Due to ongoing shielding, R-Comp will not be attending the show this
>year. However they will have a stand with some of their products for you
>to play with. If the tech works, they may also be giving a theatre talk.
>
>- The Midland User Group will be discussing a possible MUG virtual
>midsummer show next year.
>
>- Try out your robotic control skills on the Riscy Robots stand, and the
>slickest operator wins a robot!
>
>- Cameron Cawley will be demonstrating the latest version of graphical
>adventure game player ScummVM.
>
>- In a completely unsurprising move, AMCOG will have yet another new
>game, The Haunted Tower Hotel, for you to play.
>
>- RPCEmu will have demonstrations of a couple of advanced features that
>are currently being worked on.
>
>- The charity stand will be raising money for Combat Stress so bring
>along your old Acorn hardware and software, and pick up some bargains,
>all for a good cause.
>
>For full exhibitor list see the show website:
>
> https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/exhibitors.php
>

>Other useful info:
>
>- There is a new exit from the train station at the front of platform 1,
>that leads to a path under the road and up a ramp that comes out next to
>the hotel, so it is no longer necessary to even cross a road to get to
>the show :-)
> https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/venue.php
>
>- If planning to make a weekend of it and stay in the hotel, use the promo
>code ROUGOL on the hotel website for discounted rates:
> https://www.stgileshotels.com/hotels/united-kingdom/london/heathrow
>
>- The hotel bar will be open all day to keep you lubricated.
>
>- For snacks during the day, there is an excellent new cafe across the
>road called Porto Madeira, serving hot/cold sandwiches, all day full
>English breakfast, and Portuguese meals.
>

>For more info and the latest news, see the show website:
>
> https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
>

>The show is organised by the RISC OS User Group Of London:

Won't be able to go :(
Will any of the presentations be live streamed?

--
Basic

Stuart

Oct 22, 2021, 5:36:03 PM10/22/21
In article <20211022190135.397a892f@devuan>,
Folderol <gen...@musically.me.uk> wrote:

> Won't be able to go :(
> Will any of the presentations be live streamed?

I suspect there will be many, like me, who are still worried about Covid
and won't be going. I see two important exhibitors have pulled out too,
CJE and RComp, though RComp will have a representative.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Bryan Hogan

Oct 24, 2021, 1:31:10 PM10/24/21
In message <20211022190135.397a892f@devuan>
Folderol <gen...@musically.me.uk> wrote:

> Won't be able to go :(

:-(

> Will any of the presentations be live streamed?

No. Some will be available on YouTube later, once we've had a chance to
edit them.

Bryan.

--
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

Folderol

Oct 24, 2021, 2:14:53 PM10/24/21
On Sun, 24 Oct 2021 18:31:06 +0100
Bryan Hogan <sp...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>In message <20211022190135.397a892f@devuan>
> Folderol <gen...@musically.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Won't be able to go :(
>
>:-(
>
>> Will any of the presentations be live streamed?
>
>No. Some will be available on YouTube later, once we've had a chance to
>edit them.
>
>Bryan.

OK. Thanks for letting us know.

--
Basic

Chris Newman

Oct 27, 2021, 6:04:05 PM10/27/21
In article <2eed8880...@helpful-demon.co.uk>,
Bryan Hogan <sp...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> In message <20211022190135.397a892f@devuan>
> Folderol <gen...@musically.me.uk> wrote:

> > Won't be able to go :(

> :-(

> > Will any of the presentations be live streamed?

> No. Some will be available on YouTube later, once we've had a chance to
> edit them.

Anyone know if Feltham is in the emissions control or congestion zones?
I'm hoping to drive up from the south.

--
Chris Newman

Steve Fryatt

Oct 27, 2021, 6:35:04 PM10/27/21
On 27 Oct, Chris Newman wrote in message
<59822d6a...@waitrose.com>:

> Anyone know if Feltham is in the emissions control or congestion zones?
> I'm hoping to drive up from the south.

It's in the Low Emissions Zone, but that shouldn't be an issue for most
modern cars.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Chris Newman

Oct 27, 2021, 6:58:30 PM10/27/21
Partly answered my own question on a UK Gov site although it kept not
working then not finding my car. Eventually it told me it was OK except
for inner London. At least I think that's what it said, given how badly
worded it was.

The Transport for London site purported to be able to tell you if a
particular address, postcode etc was in a zone but I couldn't get a
meaningful answer.

--
Chris Newman

Bryan Hogan

Oct 27, 2021, 8:54:22 PM10/27/21
Chris Newman <cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:

> Anyone know if Feltham is in the emissions control or congestion zones?
> I'm hoping to drive up from the south.

It is a long way outside the congestion charge zone.

It is also outside the ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone).

It is within the LEZ (Low Emission Zone), but as far as I can see this
only applies to heavy goods vehicles.

Chris Newman

Oct 28, 2021, 7:56:44 AM10/28/21
In article <f3053d82...@helpful-demon.co.uk>, Bryan Hogan
<sp...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> In message <59822d6a...@waitrose.com> Chris Newman
> <cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > Anyone know if Feltham is in the emissions control or congestion
> > zones? I'm hoping to drive up from the south.

> It is a long way outside the congestion charge zone.

> It is also outside the ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone).

> It is within the LEZ (Low Emission Zone), but as far as I can see this
> only applies to heavy goods vehicles.

Ta.

I volunteered to help at the show as usual but Kim has sent no rota. Am I
not needed this time?

--
Chris Newman

charles

Oct 28, 2021, 8:29:26 AM10/28/21
In article <598279a6...@waitrose.com>,
I don't think there is a rota, as such. Things are a little less formal
this time. You are down on the list Kim sent me, so I've got a Helper's
badge ready for you.

Charles

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Chris Newman

Oct 28, 2021, 8:39:57 AM10/28/21
In article <59827ca1...@candehope.me.uk>, charles
<cha...@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> In article <598279a6...@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
> <cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:
> > In article <f3053d82...@helpful-demon.co.uk>, Bryan Hogan
> > <sp...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> > > It is a long way outside the congestion charge zone.

> > > It is also outside the ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone).

> > > It is within the LEZ (Low Emission Zone), but as far as I can see
> > > this only applies to heavy goods vehicles.

> > Ta.

> > I volunteered to help at the show as usual but Kim has sent no rota.
> > Am I not needed this time?

> I don't think there is a rota, as such. Things are a little less formal
> this time. You are down on the list Kim sent me, so I've got a Helper's
> badge ready for you.

Ta.

--
Chris Newman

Alan Griffin

Oct 28, 2021, 8:44:09 AM10/28/21
In article <59823266...@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
<cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:

> Anyone know if Feltham is in the emissions control or congestion
> zones? I'm hoping to drive up from the south.

According to the map it's outside the congestion zone and the ULEZ zone.

Alan

Chris Newman

Oct 28, 2021, 8:47:20 AM10/28/21
In article <598274...@argonet.co.uk>,
Yes. That's what I thought. Which site were you looking on; Gov or TFL?

--
Chris Newman

Tim Hill

Oct 28, 2021, 10:45:13 AM10/28/21
In article <59827e41...@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
<cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:
> In article <598274...@argonet.co.uk>, Alan Griffin
> <a...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <59823266...@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
> > <cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > > Anyone know if Feltham is in the emissions control or congestion
> > > zones? I'm hoping to drive up from the south.

> > According to the map it's outside the congestion zone and the ULEZ
> > zone.

> Yes. That's what I thought. Which site were you looking on; Gov or TFL?

The congestion charge zone is within London's inner ring road.

The ULEZ is within the North and South Circulars.

The LEZ for goods vehicles > 3500 kg is within the M25. (Including
Heathrow!!)

Approach Feltham from the M25 via M4J3 or M3/A316 via Hanworth and you
won't be anywhere near the other two zones.

--

Tim Hill
Webmaster, https://timil.com

websites : php : RISC OS

Chris Newman

Oct 28, 2021, 6:46:05 PM10/28/21
In article <598288...@invalid.org.uk>,
That's what I usually do. Thanks for the confirmation.
Someonehad said to me something along the lines of - the zones are now
out to the M25. That's why I wanted to check. They obviously didn't
realize it was only the LEZ

--
Chris Newman

Alan Griffin

Oct 29, 2021, 8:43:45 AM10/29/21
<cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:
> In article <598274...@argonet.co.uk>, Alan Griffin
> <a...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <59823266...@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
> > <cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > > Anyone know if Feltham is in the emissions control or congestion
> > > zones? I'm hoping to drive up from the south.

> > According to the map it's outside the congestion zone and the ULEZ
> > zone.

> Yes. That's what I thought. Which site were you looking on; Gov or
> TFL?

Gov.
Alan

Tim Hill

Oct 29, 2021, 9:28:00 AM10/29/21
In article <5982b3be...@waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
<cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:

[Snip]

> That's what I usually do. Thanks for the confirmation. Someonehad said
> to me something along the lines of - the zones are now out to the M25.
> That's why I wanted to check. They obviously didn't realize it was only
> the LEZ

The ULEZ expanded on 25/10 to the North and South Circulars and it seems
to have confused some. Neither my 2004 car nor 2007 registered 2006 bike
have to pay ULEZ so it's worth checking to see if your vehicle is exempt
anyway.

Dave Plowman (News)

Oct 29, 2021, 11:08:41 AM10/29/21
In article <598304...@invalid.org.uk>,
The standards are:-
Euro4 for petrol cars which became mandatory 2005
Euro6 for diesel """"""""""""""""""""""""" 2015

--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

druck

Oct 29, 2021, 4:17:21 PM10/29/21
> The [ULEZ] standards are:-
> Euro4 for petrol cars which became mandatory 2005
> Euro6 for diesel """"""""""""""""""""""""" 2015

When travelling to London I fitted our EURO 5 diesel E class with a
cheap lose fitting cotton mask which is occasionally pulled up over the
exhaust pipe, as apparently that makes everyone safer. TfL still had the
audacity to fine me, unbelievable.

---druck