Where are they now?

Folderol

Jan 11, 2024, 4:41:40 PMJan 11
I don't know what made me think about this, but does anyone know what happened
to all the people working at Computer Concepts way back in the BBC B days?
I had Wordwise and and probably still have up in the attic!
I remember they went on to produce Impression for the Archimedes, but then
rather seemed to drop out of sight.

--
Basic

Nigel Reed

Jan 11, 2024, 9:53:14 PMJan 11
Why don't you drop them an email?

http://www.cconcepts.co.uk/docs/mail.htm

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Dave

Jan 12, 2024, 3:37:12 AMJan 12
In article <20240111214138.3e8cd141@devuan>,
Long time ago now, but IIRC. At the end of their RISC OS engagement, they
produced a graphics app for the Windows PC side of things, called Xara.

Then they sold the rights to Corel so it became Corel Xara.
Corel, who as usual didn't do much with it, and after a few years CC got
Xara back and did some more development work on it.

They are still at Gaddesden Place, and the Xara app I believe is
appreciated in Pro design circles.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Folderol

Jan 12, 2024, 5:07:55 AMJan 12
On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 20:53:11 -0600
Nigel Reed <sy...@endofthelinebbs.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 21:41:38 +0000
>Folderol <gen...@musically.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> I don't know what made me think about this, but does anyone know what
>> happened to all the people working at Computer Concepts way back in
>> the BBC B days? I had Wordwise and and probably still have up in the
>> attic! I remember they went on to produce Impression for the
>> Archimedes, but then rather seemed to drop out of sight.
>>

>Why don't you drop them an email?
>
>http://www.cconcepts.co.uk/docs/mail.htm

Hmmm. The most recent site update is 2001 - still at least they *do* give a
date, not many sites do that.

--
Basic

Folderol

Jan 12, 2024, 5:14:02 AMJan 12
I did have a vague memory of Xara. It seems it's become the tail that wagged
the dog :o

Interesting that they're still at Gaddesden place - that can't be a cheap
option!

--
Basic

Stuart

Jan 12, 2024, 8:00:36 AMJan 12
In article <5b217aa...@triffid.co.uk>,
Didn't Martin Würthner work for them?

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Chris Hughes

Jan 12, 2024, 8:36:20 AMJan 12
In message <5b2192a6...@argonet.co.uk>
Stuart <Spa...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <5b217aa...@triffid.co.uk>,
> Dave <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <20240111214138.3e8cd141@devuan>,
>> Folderol <gen...@musically.me.uk> wrote:
>>> I don't know what made me think about this, but does anyone know what
>>> happened to all the people working at Computer Concepts way back in the
>>> BBC B days? I had Wordwise and and probably still have up in the attic!
>>> I remember they went on to produce Impression for the Archimedes, but
>>> then rather seemed to drop out of sight.

>> Long time ago now, but IIRC. At the end of their RISC OS engagement, they
>> produced a graphics app for the Windows PC side of things, called Xara.

>> Then they sold the rights to Corel so it became Corel Xara.
>> Corel, who as usual didn't do much with it, and after a few years CC got
>> Xara back and did some more development work on it.

>> They are still at Gaddesden Place, and the Xara app I believe is
>> appreciated in Pro design circles.

> Didn't Martin Wurthner work for them?

Yes he worked on Xara for sometime since it was based initially off
Artworks. But left after awhile.

--
Chris Hughes

Stuart

Jan 12, 2024, 12:08:07 PMJan 12
In article <410796215b.chris@mytardis>,
Chris Hughes <new...@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> > Didn't Martin Wurthner work for them?

> Yes he worked on Xara for sometime since it was based initially off
> Artworks. But left after awhile.

Anyone know what he is up to now, I know he became a father, but nothing
on his web page since 2021

Sniffer

Jan 12, 2024, 12:44:32 PMJan 12
On 12/01/2024 17:08, Stuart wrote:
> In article <410796215b.chris@mytardis>,
> Chris Hughes <new...@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Didn't Martin Wurthner work for them?
>
>> Yes he worked on Xara for sometime since it was based initially off
>> Artworks. But left after awhile.
>
> Anyone know what he is up to now, I know he became a father, but nothing
> on his web page since 2021

He's still maintaininig Artworks as far as I know.

Folderol

Jan 12, 2024, 2:53:56 PMJan 12
The only name I remembered was Charles Moir. I see he's still the boss.
I seem to remember there were about half a dozen there at first, but can't
remember any names.
I didn't know Martin had worked there. Somehow I've always thought of him as
being an independent developer.

--
Basic

Dave

Jan 13, 2024, 12:49:30 AMJan 13
I'm redirecting this for a friend Michael Harding who finds he is unable
ATM. to post to the Newsgroup...

Dave

A bulletin happened to arrive today so I looked at it instead of
deleting it. 'Ana from Xara' invited me to buy Xara Photo & Graphic
Design v.20 @ $60 or rent it monthly.

http://www.xara.com/about-us locates it at Gaddesden Place, Berlin and
WFH, with a team of 48 members over 5 continents and 2m+ users. The owner
("investor") is Bellevue.eu, a private German company which apparently
also owns Magix.

Michael Harding

Stuart

Jan 13, 2024, 4:00:13 AMJan 13
In article <5b21ef9...@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> http://www.xara.com/about-us locates it at Gaddesden Place, Berlin and
> WFH, with a team of 48 members over 5 continents and 2m+ users. The owner
> ("investor") is Bellevue.eu, a private German company which apparently
> also owns Magix.

Interesting

Folderol

Jan 13, 2024, 10:13:16 AMJan 13
On Sat, 13 Jan 24 09:00:10 UTC
Stuart <Spa...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <5b21ef9...@triffid.co.uk>,
> Dave <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.xara.com/about-us locates it at Gaddesden Place, Berlin and
>> WFH, with a team of 48 members over 5 continents and 2m+ users. The owner
>> ("investor") is Bellevue.eu, a private German company which apparently
>> also owns Magix.
>

>Interesting

Strange! So did they sell out?

--
Basic

Richard Ashbery

Jan 13, 2024, 12:46:02 PMJan 13
In article <unrtpu$3frht$1...@dont-email.me>, Sniffer
Are you sure?

I always looked forward to the updates he produced but the last one
('Shape Pointer/Eraser' tool I think) was 2 years ago in November
2021. I wonder if he's still able to work on ArtWorks - sadly it won't
pay the bills incurred with a young family. It would be interesting to
know what he's doing.

I still enjoy using ArtWorks because of its simple tool sytem and
reliability. Does anyone remember Vantage - a fantastic bit of
software provided you weren't concerned about reliability. The
discovery of ArtWorks, after using Vantage was a revelation. I use
Xara Photo and Graphic Designer very infrequently but the learning
curve is long.

Richard