Email problems (GnuPG & attachements)

9 views
Skip to first unread message

Alexander Ausserstorfer

unread,
Apr 1, 2022, 7:36:38 AMApr 1
to
Often when I sign emails using GnuPG the recipient get an empty email.
This is specially happen with @gmx.de and @web.de adresses.

Also I often have problems with attachemets. Specially with code (absolute
files etc.). It seems that this attachements are cut of or the emails
aren't go through at all.

It is happen with both !Pluto and also !Messenger.

What I'm doing wrong?

!Pluto is looking for gnupguser$path :

So I included the line

set gnupguser$path ADFS::HardDisc4.$.!Boot.Resources.!UnixHome.home./gnupg

to the file !Pluto.Boot. to set it. It is working yet but did I do it in
the right way?

Thanks in advance,

Alex'

Martin

unread,
Apr 1, 2022, 8:14:45 AMApr 1
to
In article <59d24a854fb...@chiemgau-net.de>,
Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavari...@chiemgau-net.de> wrote:
> Often when I sign emails using GnuPG the recipient get an empty
> email. This is specially happen with @gmx.de and @web.de adresses.

> Also I often have problems with attachemets. Specially with code
> (absolute files etc.). It seems that this attachements are cut of
> or the emails aren't go through at all.

Does it ever work ok (ie to a recipient also using PGP), and in what
circumstances?

> It is happen with both !Pluto and also !Messenger.

If you can improve on the Pluto help on installing and using PGP or
GnuPG, please let me know. It is currently very sparse!

> !Pluto is looking for gnupguser$path :

Pluto certainly checks that GnuPGUser$Path exists, otherwise displays
a message. But it should be set by !GnuPGUser. Are you using the
download from Stefan Bellon of GnuPG v1.4.9-sb1, and have you
installed !GnuPG and !GnuPGUser?

> So I included the line

> set gnupguser$path
> ADFS::HardDisc4.$.!Boot.Resources.!UnixHome.home./gnupg

> to the file !Pluto.Boot. to set it. It is working yet but did I do
> it in the right way?

That value looks wrong - it should be set to refer to !GnuPGUser from
what I can see.

Martin

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.

Alexander Ausserstorfer

unread,
Apr 2, 2022, 1:50:59 AMApr 2
to
In article <59d24d1e...@avisoft.f9.co.uk>,
Martin <New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <59d24a854fb...@chiemgau-net.de>,
> Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavari...@chiemgau-net.de> wrote:

>> !Pluto is looking for gnupguser$path :

> Pluto certainly checks that GnuPGUser$Path exists, otherwise displays
> a message. But it should be set by !GnuPGUser. Are you using the
> download from Stefan Bellon of GnuPG v1.4.9-sb1, and have you
> installed !GnuPG and !GnuPGUser?

I found !GnuPG in ADFS::HardDisc4.$.!Boot.Resources but couldn't find
!GnuPGUser anywhere on my harddisc.

>> So I included the line

>> set gnupguser$path
>> ADFS::HardDisc4.$.!Boot.Resources.!UnixHome.home./gnupg

>> to the file !Pluto.Boot. to set it. It is working yet but did I do
>> it in the right way?

> That value looks wrong - it should be set to refer to !GnuPGUser from
> what I can see.

I can't find !GnuPGUser on my harddisc. The keys are there:

ADFS::HardDisc4.$.!Boot.Resources.!UnixHome.home/gnupg

I don't know why.

I think I installed a GnuPG version from Chris Gransen. Not from Stefan
Bellon.

*gpg -h

says

| gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.15
| Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
| License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
| This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
| There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

[...]

The downloaded archive contains just !GnuPG. The included ReadMe file
says:

| GnuPG - The GNU Privacy Guard (1.4.15) | | This RISC OS version was
| created by the GCCSDK Autobuilder | | Getting Started
| ---------------
| The !GnuPG folder contains just the updated executables. Just drop the
|!GnuPG folder
| over your existing folder.
| You'll also need to download and install !UnixHome available from
| http://www.riscos.info/packages/SupportDetails.html.
| Then copy the following files from !GnuPGUser into !UnixHome.home./gnupg.
| You may need to manually create the /gnupg folder if it doesn't exist
| already.
|
| gpg/conf
| pubring/gpg
| random_seed
| secring/gpg
| trustdb/gpg
|
|
|
| History
| -------
| RISC OS Version 1.00 (16-Dec-13)
| - this is the initial test version of GnuPG 1.4.15 built for RISC OS.
|
| Issues
| ------
| It currently uses !UnixHome to store it's files. This needs changing to
| use the existing !GnuPGUser folder.
| Not all the functionality has been tested so there may be problems
| and/or bugs.
| There are warnings about permissions being wrong on certain files. This
| may cause some functionality to be unavailable.
|
| Contact
| -------
| Chris Gransden - chr...@care4free.net

I can't find the URL again where I downloaded it.

Do we have different versions of GnuPG for RISC OS which works differently
and that may cause the problem?

Thanks in advance.

A.

Martin

unread,
Apr 2, 2022, 5:21:30 AMApr 2
to
In article <59d2ae6a8cb...@chiemgau-net.de>,
Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavari...@chiemgau-net.de> wrote:
> In article <59d24d1e...@avisoft.f9.co.uk>,
> Martin <New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> I think I installed a GnuPG version from Chris Gransen. Not from
> Stefan Bellon.

> *gpg -h says

> | gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.15
[Snip]
> The downloaded archive contains just !GnuPG.
[Snip]
> | Then copy the following files from !GnuPGUser into
> | !UnixHome.home./gnupg. You may need to manually create the /gnupg
> | folder if it doesn't exist already.
> |
> | gpg/conf
> | pubring/gpg
> | random_seed
> | secring/gpg
> | trustdb/gpg
[Snip]
> | Not all the functionality has been tested so there may be
> | problems and/or bugs. There are warnings about permissions being
> | wrong on certain files. This may cause some functionality to be
> | unavailable.

> I can't find the URL again where I downloaded it.

Probably http://www.cgransden.co.uk/gnupg.zip

> Do we have different versions of GnuPG for RISC OS which works
> differently and that may cause the problem?

To me, Chris's version looks like
- an update of Stefans version.
- an 'initial' test with limitations and unknowns.

I suggest you get the version from http://www.sbellon.de and see if
that works. Then by all means try the version from Chris, but note
that files have to be copied into !UnixHome.home./gnupg. and to
satisfy Pluto the variable has to be set to something (I do not think
the value will matter).

Please report how you get on.

Steve Fryatt

unread,
Apr 2, 2022, 6:15:08 AMApr 2
to
On 2 Apr, Martin wrote in message
<59d2c12b...@avisoft.f9.co.uk>:

> I suggest you get the version from http://www.sbellon.de and see if that
> works. Then by all means try the version from Chris, but note that files
> have to be copied into !UnixHome.home./gnupg. and to satisfy Pluto the
> variable has to be set to something (I do not think the value will
> matter).

And also, from the description, Chris's GnuPG files copied over (and added
to) those from Stefan.

> Please report how you get on.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Alexander Ausserstorfer

unread,
Apr 9, 2022, 12:48:08 PMApr 9
to
In article <59d2c12b...@avisoft.f9.co.uk>,
Martin <New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

>> I can't find the URL again where I downloaded it.

> Probably http://www.cgransden.co.uk/gnupg.zip

>> Do we have different versions of GnuPG for RISC OS which works
>> differently and that may cause the problem?

> To me, Chris's version looks like
> - an update of Stefans version.
> - an 'initial' test with limitations and unknowns.

> I suggest you get the version from http://www.sbellon.de and see if
> that works. Then by all means try the version from Chris, but note
> that files have to be copied into !UnixHome.home./gnupg. and to
> satisfy Pluto the variable has to be set to something (I do not think
> the value will matter).

> Please report how you get on.

The version of Stefan (link above) is odd. It doesn't work:

| gpg: signal 11 caught ... exiting
|
| UnixLib detected recursion of signal SIGSEGV. Exiting.

The version of Chris is working but it seems to look the keys at

ADFS::HardDisc4.$.!Boot.Resources.!UnixHome.home./gnupg.

instead of

<GnuPGUser$Dir>

although I cannot import or export any keys with Chris version at the
moment. Strange.

Alex

--
http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/

Alexander Ausserstorfer

unread,
Apr 9, 2022, 1:15:43 PMApr 9
to
In article <59d68595e2b...@chiemgau-net.de>,
Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavari...@chiemgau-net.de> wrote:
> In article <59d2c12b...@avisoft.f9.co.uk>,
> Martin <New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

<part snipped>

> although I cannot import or export any keys with Chris version at the
> moment. Strange.

Sorry, I have tried to import a PGP signature instead of public key!
Importing public keys is working.

Exporting keys leads to a mess. When this is the public key I imported

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

<part snipped) xT+5NPDUf8McR2uP6aPSM9nbGJYtOqIShZip9jGh4Qt
+DEIzzktRvBoljqQL+ofIJxizxcuWFv3f42HuHnswNlnG9+TR84i2pWYxw5p+Y8u
CuuQa6/PlKrWtkf35Gy3SAELC5/pIcYSypxkSvJ5YDIcqaVM9j6u+oBNyNCL5UKj
7iwESqg0PzBfTwfB3ROWSDimy9d4kNWlD6NPfh/g9drprDRcYxFzjsKMq4zXx0Lw
0Z+44zCNSYUAr90eOxvGa2Lm++Lwvg (part snipped)

I got the line

SÚ«øe)Pƒ¡€¯`Qße$ü»›Yµ*„ŃxóY6¯zû×:ù%i£B9™_¬ëbz*ª:l¤‹ÒhO­ùŠû£vfE ¥b

using the command

*gpg --export alexander.ausserstorfer@...<snipped)

on screen.

A.

--
http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages