Micro SD card not latching in Pi

Brian Jordan

Jun 3, 2022, 9:25:16 AM6/3/22
My Pi stopped working today! Quite suddenly and with no prior indication
that anything was wrong. On investigation I found the RISC OS Micro SD
card wasn't latched into its holder and that no attempt to re-latch it
would work. Obviously there was a fix, or I wouldn't be writing this, but
it isn't pretty - better described as a bodge than repair.
I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.28 (16-Dec-20) on Raspberry Pi

Chris Newman

Jun 3, 2022, 11:00:42 AM6/3/22
In article <59f2c5edefb...@btinternet.com>, Brian Jordan
<brian....@btinternet.com> wrote:
> My Pi stopped working today! Quite suddenly and with no prior
> indication that anything was wrong. On investigation I found the RISC
> OS Micro SD card wasn't latched into its holder and that no attempt to
> re-latch it would work. Obviously there was a fix, or I wouldn't be
> writing this, but it isn't pretty - better described as a bodge than
> repair. I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

Which model/flavour of Pi?

--
Chris Newman

Chris Hughes

Jun 3, 2022, 11:55:27 AM6/3/22
In message <59f2ceb1...@waitrose.com>
I have heard of the issue, and various workaround people used.

--
Chris Hughes

druck

Jun 3, 2022, 5:35:01 PM6/3/22
I assume it's one of the earlier Pi's with the sprung SD card "launch
and lose" system, which is why they no longer use it in more recent models.

It should not be possible for the card to fail to latch in an unsprung
slot, unless some foreign object is in there.

---druck

charles

Aug 2, 2022, 11:55:07 AM8/2/22
In article <59f2c5edefb...@btinternet.com>,
Brian Jordan <brian....@btinternet.com> wrote:
> My Pi stopped working today! Quite suddenly and with no prior indication
> that anything was wrong. On investigation I found the RISC OS Micro SD
> card wasn't latched into its holder and that no attempt to re-latch it
> would work. Obviously there was a fix, or I wouldn't be writing this, but
> it isn't pretty - better described as a bodge than repair.
> I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

Gaffer tape? It cures many problems.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Brian Jordan

Aug 2, 2022, 2:49:01 PM8/2/22
In article <5a11b984...@candehope.me.uk>,
charles <cha...@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> In article <59f2c5edefb...@btinternet.com>,
> Brian Jordan <brian....@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > My Pi stopped working today! Quite suddenly and with no prior
> > indication that anything was wrong. On investigation I found the RISC
> > OS Micro SD card wasn't latched into its holder and that no attempt
> > to re-latch it would work. Obviously there was a fix, or I wouldn't
> > be writing this, but it isn't pretty - better described as a bodge
> > than repair. I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

> Gaffer tape? It cures many problems.

The aforementioned bodge is exactly that.