Mounting Fat32FS Drives

Kevin Melling

Mar 7, 2021, 11:12:26 AM3/7/21

(Apologies if this gets posted twice - having issues moving my !NewsDir)

Does anyone know how I can mount a FAT32FS drive on startup so it's a
available in the !Boot Sequence?

I've got a Raspberry PI 4 and the drive just says the number until I click

on it, but I'd like to use it in the !Boot sequence.

Many thanks,
Kevin Melling.

--
Kevin Melling

John Williams (News)

Mar 7, 2021, 11:36:58 AM3/7/21
In article <88f289095...@kmelling.aaug.net>,
Kevin Melling <kmel...@aaug.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know how I can mount a FAT32FS drive on startup so it's a
> available in the !Boot Sequence?

Seeing as no-one else has responded:

You won't be able to do anything with it until after FAT32FS has been
loaded/initialised, usually near the end of Predesk (things in
folders/directories are dealt with last).

After that it should respond to a *MOUNT command using its number - as in:

*Mount Fat32fs::4.$

and after this you may be able to refer to parts of it using the above
pathname as its root.

So you may be able to do some stuff in Tasks with its contents.

However, this will make no difference to the desktop, when that is
eventually reached, knowing anything additional about the disc.

It will still be labelled "4".

All this is untried and untested, and off the top of my head.

Consequently it may be totally wrong!

John

John Williams (News)

Mar 7, 2021, 11:45:19 AM3/7/21
On 07 Mar, UCE...@tiscali.co.uk wrote:

> You won't be able to do anything with it until after FAT32FS has been
> loaded/initialised, usually near the end of Predesk (things in
> folders/directories are dealt with last).

> After that it should respond to a *MOUNT command

Forget about Mount.

I've just put an obeyfile in Tasks saying:

Cat Fat32fs::4.$

and that works. So I'm assuming other commands involving the disc path
will too!

John

John Williams (News)

Mar 7, 2021, 11:49:33 AM3/7/21
On 07 Mar, UCE...@tiscali.co.uk wrote:

> So I'm assuming other commands involving the disc path will too!

Caveat: If you have more than 1 drive, you can't reliably (in my
experience) predict which will be assigned which number!

John

Kevin Melling

Mar 7, 2021, 2:55:01 PM3/7/21
In message <59098e9e...@tiscali.co.uk>
Thanks that's very helpful

I wish there were a command that was identical to clicking on the filer.
Filer_OpenDir isn't quite the same. Make a module send some sort of WIMP
messsage to Fat32FS or Filer? No idea..

I might just try a couple of cats (4 and 5) inside the !Run of
PreDesk.Fat32FS but as you say all refs inside boot will have to use the
drive number, not the name.

Many thanks,
Kevin.

--
Kevin Melling

John Williams (News)

Mar 7, 2021, 3:25:36 PM3/7/21
In article <a1b29f095...@kmelling.aaug.net>,
Kevin Melling <kmel...@aaug.net> wrote:

> I might just try a couple of cats (4 and 5) inside the !Run of
> PreDesk.Fat32FS

At your own risk, but that seems a good starting place!

But my back-up script to two Fat32fs drives did suffer from a certain
unpredictability!

Glad to have been of some assistance! Perhaps?

John

Kevin Melling

Mar 7, 2021, 4:25:29 PM3/7/21
In message <5909a2ab...@tiscali.co.uk>
"John Williams (News)" <UCE...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

Very much. Thanks. Good to know other people's workarounds

Thanks,
Kevin.

--
Kevin Melling

Bernard Veasey

Mar 10, 2021, 2:16:39 AM3/10/21
In message <88f289095...@kmelling.aaug.net>
Kevin Melling <kmel...@aaug.net> wrote:

> Hi,

> Does anyone know how I can mount a FAT32FS drive on startup so it's a
> available in the !Boot Sequence?

> I've got a Raspberry PI 4 and the drive just says the number until I click

> on it, but I'd like to use it in the !Boot sequence.

> Many thanks,
> Kevin Melling.

I have a TaskObey (fd7) file in my Tasks directory saying:

Fat32FS
Mount 5 { > NULL: }
SCSI

and that automatically mounts it at computer startup and updates its
icon bar icon with its name.
The SCSI returns your computer to its default filing system.
This may also be SDFS of course.

Name the TaskObey file low in the alphabet to enable you to boot something
from it later in the boot sequence.

Bernard
--
Contact Me - www.bapfish.org.uk/contact/