MassFS & 750 Zip drive

8 views
Skip to first unread message

Mick Martin

unread,
Jul 16, 2004, 9:15:59 AM7/16/04
to
I have now got a USB Iomega 750 zip drive working with MassFS what I
would like to see working with it is where you can Eject Disc, what you
can do with ZipFS, I find that a big help for the eject button on the
750 is hard for me to use for I suffer with shaking hands.

Mick.

--
Mick Martin, to email me Remove, warez.
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/mmartin/fifepits/

Jeremy C B Nicoll

unread,
Jul 16, 2004, 10:11:19 AM7/16/04
to
In article <4ccf68a3...@zetnet.co.uk>,

Mick Martin <mma...@warez.zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> I have now got a USB Iomega 750 zip drive working with MassFS what I
> would like to see working with it is where you can Eject Disc, what you
> can do with ZipFS, I find that a big help for the eject button on the
> 750 is hard for me to use for I suffer with shaking hands.

Druck has a set of Eject programs at www.armclub.org.uk/free Maybe
one of them will work?

--
Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own.

Michael M Martin

unread,
Jul 16, 2004, 11:11:33 AM7/16/04
to
In article <4ccf6db4...@omba.demon.co.uk>, Jeremy C B Nicoll

I have just downloaded them but it will not work with MassFS.

Mick.

--
|^^^^ Michael Martin ^^^^^ mma...@zetnet.co.uk ^^^|Using Kinetic RiscPC|
| * http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/mmartin/fifepits/ *| Email and News by |
| ^^^ http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/mmartin/sign/ ^^^| !Pluto |
|====== Risc OS immune to email Virus ======|===With RISC OS 4===|

druck

unread,
Jul 16, 2004, 2:08:59 PM7/16/04
to
On 16 Jul 2004 Michael M Martin <mma...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <4ccf6db4...@omba.demon.co.uk>, Jeremy C B Nicoll
> <Jer...@omba.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <4ccf68a3...@zetnet.co.uk>, Mick Martin
>> <mma...@warez.zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I have now got a USB Iomega 750 zip drive working with MassFS what I
>>> would like to see working with it is where you can Eject Disc, what you
>>> can do with ZipFS, I find that a big help for the eject button on the
>>> 750 is hard for me to use for I suffer with shaking hands.
>
>> Druck has a set of Eject programs at www.armclub.org.uk/free Maybe one
>> of them will work?
>
> I have just downloaded them but it will not work with MassFS.

I can make one for you. I need to know:-

* The name of the MassFS filer as it appears in the Task Manager window.
* The text that appears under the drive icon, empty and with a disc present.
* Details of the star command or SWI needed to eject the disc.

---druck

--
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/

Mick Martin

unread,
Jul 16, 2004, 3:08:40 PM7/16/04
to
In article <507783cf...@druck.freeuk.net>, druck

<ne...@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> >>> I have now got a USB Iomega 750 zip drive working with MassFS
> >>> what I would like to see working with it is where you can Eject
> >>> Disc, what you can do with ZipFS, I find that a big help for the
> >>> eject button on the 750 is hard for me to use for I suffer with
> >>> shaking hands.
> >
> >> Druck has a set of Eject programs at www.armclub.org.uk/free
> >> Maybe one of them will work?
> >
> > I have just downloaded them but it will not work with MassFS.

> I can make one for you. I need to know:-

Thank you Druck that is very kind of you.

> * The name of the MassFS filer as it appears in the Task Manager
> window. * The text that appears under the drive icon, empty and with
> a disc present. * Details of the star command or SWI needed to eject
> the disc.

Application Tasks: MassFS Filer

With Drive empty: ZIP 750
With Disc present: ZIP 750

I'm sorry but cannot help with the Star Command or SWI needed to eject,
maybe some of the other Users out there may know them.

Best Regards, Mick

druck

unread,
Jul 16, 2004, 3:44:24 PM7/16/04
to
On 16 Jul 2004 Mick Martin <mma...@warez.zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <507783cf...@druck.freeuk.net>, druck
> <ne...@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>>>> Mick wrote:
>>>>> I have now got a USB Iomega 750 zip drive working with MassFS what I
>>>>> would like to see working with it is where you can Eject Disc,
>
>> I can make one for you. I need to know:-
>
> Thank you Druck that is very kind of you.
>
>> * The name of the MassFS filer as it appears in the Task Manager window. *
>> The text that appears under the drive icon, empty and with a disc present.
>> * Details of the star command or SWI needed to eject the disc.
>
> Application Tasks: MassFS Filer
>
> With Drive empty: ZIP 750 With Disc present: ZIP 750
>
> I'm sorry but cannot help with the Star Command or SWI needed to eject,
> maybe some of the other Users out there may know them.

Well the way it works for most other filing systems is to read the text under
the icon, which is normally a drive number or disc name, and feed that to a
star command. If the name isn't either of these its going to be a bit more
tricky. I assume MassFS is naming each drive after its USB description? Is
the ordering of the icons related to the drive number, left to right or
right to left?

Mick Martin

unread,
Jul 16, 2004, 4:43:53 PM7/16/04
to
In article <8d338ccf...@druck.freeuk.net>,

druck <ne...@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 16 Jul 2004 Mick Martin <mma...@warez.zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <507783cf...@druck.freeuk.net>, druck
> > <ne...@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> >>>> Mick wrote:
> >>>>> I have now got a USB Iomega 750 zip drive working with MassFS
> >>>>> what I would like to see working with it is where you can Eject
> >>>>> Disc,
> >
> >> I can make one for you. I need to know:-
> >
> > Thank you Druck that is very kind of you.
> >
> >> * The name of the MassFS filer as it appears in the Task Manager
> >> window. * The text that appears under the drive icon, empty and
> >> with a disc present. * Details of the star command or SWI needed
> >> to eject the disc.
> >
> > Application Tasks: MassFS Filer
> >
> > With Drive empty: ZIP 750 With Disc present: ZIP 750
> >
> > I'm sorry but cannot help with the Star Command or SWI needed to
> > eject, maybe some of the other Users out there may know them.

> Well the way it works for most other filing systems is to read the
> text under the icon, which is normally a drive number or disc name,
> and feed that to a star command. If the name isn't either of these
> its going to be a bit more tricky. I assume MassFS is naming each
> drive after its USB description? Is the ordering of the icons related
> to the drive number, left to right or right to left?

I'm not sure all I know is there are three drives what fire up the
first two on the left are my Card reader and the last of them is my Zip
drive.

Brian Carroll

unread,
Jul 17, 2004, 4:00:46 AM7/17/04
to
In article <4ccf7338...@zetnet.co.uk>, Michael M Martin

<mma...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <4ccf6db4...@omba.demon.co.uk>, Jeremy C B
> Nicoll <Jer...@omba.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <4ccf68a3...@zetnet.co.uk>, Mick Martin
> > <mma...@warez.zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> > > I have now got a USB Iomega 750 zip drive working with
> > > MassFS what I would like to see working with it is where

> > > you can Eject Disc, ...

> > Druck has a set of Eject programs at www.armclub.org.uk/free
> > Maybe one of them will work?

The facility Michael is asking for would be a useful enhancement
for all users of MassFS with ejectable media. Have you asked
STD whether it could be added?

The recent thread in this newsgroup starting on 26 Jun 04 at
<4cc50d4b...@ashbery19.freeserve.co.uk> might be worth
reading.


Brian.

--
______________________________________________________________

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com
______________________________________________________________

Mick Martin

unread,
Jul 17, 2004, 7:31:41 AM7/17/04
to
In article <4ccfcf9df2...@argonet.co.uk>,

Brian Carroll <bric-...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <4ccf7338...@zetnet.co.uk>, Michael M Martin
> <mma...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <4ccf6db4...@omba.demon.co.uk>, Jeremy C B
> > Nicoll <Jer...@omba.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > > In article <4ccf68a3...@zetnet.co.uk>, Mick Martin
> > > <mma...@warez.zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> > > > I have now got a USB Iomega 750 zip drive working with
> > > > MassFS what I would like to see working with it is where
> > > > you can Eject Disc, ...

> > > Druck has a set of Eject programs at www.armclub.org.uk/free
> > > Maybe one of them will work?

> The facility Michael is asking for would be a useful enhancement
> for all users of MassFS with ejectable media. Have you asked
> STD whether it could be added?

I have now sent away a email Matt Edgar at stdevel full stop co full
stop uk.

> The recent thread in this newsgroup starting on 26 Jun 04 at
> <4cc50d4b...@ashbery19.freeserve.co.uk> might be worth
> reading.

I can not seem to find the above thread can you please send me a copy.

Jeremy C B Nicoll

unread,
Jul 17, 2004, 9:22:17 AM7/17/04
to
In article <4ccfe2ed...@zetnet.co.uk>,
Mick Martin <mma...@warez.zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> I can not seem to find the above thread can you please send me a
> copy.

Use google groups - that is, go to

http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_group_search?hl=en

(it's a pity they don't support ?hl=fife !!)

and fill in the details of the posts concerned - in the newsgroup field
put in comp.sys.acorn.hardware and in the message-id field put in
the message-id that someone quoted. Google will then find the message
for you.

Kevin Wells

unread,
Jul 17, 2004, 9:18:29 AM7/17/04
to
In message <4ccfe2ed...@zetnet.co.uk>
Mick Martin <mma...@warez.zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <4ccfcf9df2...@argonet.co.uk>,
> Brian Carroll <bric-...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]


>
> > The recent thread in this newsgroup starting on 26 Jun 04 at
> > <4cc50d4b...@ashbery19.freeserve.co.uk> might be worth
> > reading.
>
> I can not seem to find the above thread can you please send me a copy.
>
>
> Mick.
>

Try here
http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=4cc50d4b0brichard%40ashbery19.freeserve.co.uk&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dmsgid:4cc50d4b0brichard%40ashbery19.freeserve.co.uk%26ic%3D1
--
Kev Wells http://kevsoft.topcities.com
Swinging Arm and Touring Motorcycle Club http://saat.topcities.com
Off Motorway Fuel Prices http://www.mway.0catch.com
Work the curse of the drinking class.

Mick Martin

unread,
Jul 17, 2004, 11:27:26 AM7/17/04
to
In article <4ccfed0d...@omba.demon.co.uk>,

Jeremy C B Nicoll <Jer...@omba.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_group_search?hl=en

Thank you Jeremy and not forgetting Kevin I have now got the above
thread.

Jason Tribbeck

unread,
Jul 19, 2004, 6:10:22 PM7/19/04
to
druck wrote:

> * The name of the MassFS filer as it appears in the Task Manager window.
> * The text that appears under the drive icon, empty and with a disc present.
> * Details of the star command or SWI needed to eject the disc.

Shh:

DIM block%12
block%!0=0
block%!4=2
block%!8=0
SYS &56706, "DriveName", 0, block%, 12, 0, 0 TO err%
IFerr%>0 SYS&56707,err% TO err%

Might do the trick (not tested though)...

Obviously "DriverName" is the name of the drive (which can be sought
from the text under the icon).

--
Jason Tribbeck

newsm...@tribbeck.com - 20K download limit - anything larger won't
be received.

druck

unread,
Jul 20, 2004, 4:20:01 PM7/20/04
to
On 19 Jul 2004 Jason Tribbeck <newsm...@tribbeck.com> wrote:
> druck wrote:
>
> > * The name of the MassFS filer as it appears in the Task Manager window.
> > * The text that appears under the drive icon, empty and with a disc present.
> > * Details of the star command or SWI needed to eject the disc.
>
> Shh:
>
> DIM block%12
> block%!0=0
> block%!4=2
> block%!8=0
> SYS &56706, "DriveName", 0, block%, 12, 0, 0 TO err%
> IFerr%>0 SYS&56707,err% TO err%
>
> Might do the trick (not tested though)...
>
> Obviously "DriverName" is the name of the drive (which can be sought
> from the text under the icon).

Can you let me have the working code when you've tested it.

Jason Tribbeck

unread,
Jul 21, 2004, 4:12:09 AM7/21/04
to
druck wrote:

> Can you let me have the working code when you've tested it.

I'll have to test it on a Zip50, as I don't have a Zip750 :) But
otherwise, sure!

Mark Fraser

unread,
Jul 21, 2004, 1:57:24 PM7/21/04
to
In article <40fe2557$0$7130$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk>,

Jason Tribbeck <newsm...@tribbeck.com> wrote:
> druck wrote:

> > Can you let me have the working code when you've tested it.

> I'll have to test it on a Zip50, as I don't have a Zip750 :) But

^^^^^

Is that half a Zip 100 disc? ;)

> otherwise, sure!

--
How about a beer, Norm?
That's that amber sudsy stuff, right? I've heard good things about it!

______________________________________________________
|\ /| ark Fraser /mfr...@ukgateway.net www.mfraser.ukgateway.net
| \/ | Somerset /Using !Pluto on an Acorn SA RISC PC
| |___________/You know what the sig means!

Jason Tribbeck

unread,
Jul 21, 2004, 5:00:40 PM7/21/04
to
druck wrote:

>>DIM block%12
>>block%!0=0
>>block%!4=2
>>block%!8=0
>>SYS &56706, "DriveName", 0, block%, 12, 0, 0 TO err%
>>IFerr%>0 SYS&56707,err% TO err%

<snip>

> Can you let me have the working code when you've tested it.

Apart from block%0=&1B, it's fine on a Zip250.

(I also spent about 15 minutes calling &56707 instead of &56706 before
realising the mistake).

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages