Freeciv won't run!

SG nws

Feb 3, 2015, 8:38:01 AM2/3/15
Downloaded Freeciv 2.3.0-r2-1 yesterday from riscos.info.
When run a window opens for about 4 secs with a picture of a globe
and then closes.
The stderr file contains:
2: Using Video Output: riscos
2: Didn't find the option file.
1: load_gfxfile: Unable to load graphic file /FreeCiv:/data/amplio2/fog.png!
1: Could not load gfx file "amplio2/fog".
0: Could not load gfx file for the spec file "/FreeCiv:/data/amplio2/fog.spec".

Any advice?

--
Stewart Goldwater
http://janusg.co.nr

Alan

Feb 4, 2015, 9:01:44 AM2/4/15
It looks like a bug in that version of freeciv. I get a similar error but with water.png when I tried it.

I've got the cross-compiler set up so I'll see if I can rebuild
it and see what is happening. It may take me a while though.

If you want to you could try an older version from riscos.info:
http://www.riscos.info/packages/arm/Games/freeciv_2.1.9-1.zip
http://www.riscos.info/packages/arm/Games/freeciv_2.3.0-1.zip
http://www.riscos.info/packages/arm/Games/freeciv_2.3.0-beta3-1.zip
http://www.riscos.info/packages/arm/Games/freeciv_2.3.0-r1-1.zip

Regards,
Alan

SG nws

Feb 4, 2015, 10:39:36 AM2/4/15
Mnay thanks: I think I'll wait for your rebuild.
Will you post back here when ready?

Alan

Feb 5, 2015, 8:16:02 AM2/5/15
On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 3:39:36 PM UTC, SG nws wrote:
> Alan wrote:
> > SG nws wrote:
> > > Downloaded Freeciv 2.3.0-r2-1 yesterday from riscos.info. When run a
> > > window opens for about 4 secs with a picture of a globe and then closes.
> > > The stderr file contains: 2: Using Video Output: riscos 2: Didn't find
> > > the option file. 1: load_gfxfile: Unable to load graphic file
> > > /FreeCiv:/data/amplio2/fog.png! 1: Could not load gfx file
> > > "amplio2/fog". 0: Could not load gfx file for the spec file
> > > "/FreeCiv:/data/amplio2/fog.spec".
>
> > > Any advice?
>
> > It looks like a bug in that version of freeciv. I get a similar error but
> > with water.png when I tried it.
>
> > I've got the cross-compiler set up so I'll see if I can rebuild it and see
> > what is happening. It may take me a while though.
>
> Mnay thanks: I think I'll wait for your rebuild.
> Will you post back here when ready?

I've investigated a little further and it seems to be running out
of memory on my RISC OS 4.0.2 on RPCEmu.

Which version of RISC OS are you using?

Can you try editing the !Run file in !CivClient and add:

Set freeciv-sdl$Heap ""
Set freeciv-sdl$HeapMax 64

after the lines:

Set FREECIV_PATH /FreeCiv:/data/
Set SDL$civclient$TaskName Freeciv Client

and let me know if it works?

Regards,
Alan

SG nws

Feb 5, 2015, 9:30:09 AM2/5/15
Alan wrote:
> I've investigated a little further and it seems to be running out of
> memory on my RISC OS 4.0.2 on RPCEmu.
> Which version of RISC OS are you using?

Also 4.02 on VRPC.

> Can you try editing the !Run file in !CivClient and add:
> Set freeciv-sdl$Heap ""
> Set freeciv-sdl$HeapMax 64
> after the lines:
> Set FREECIV_PATH /FreeCiv:/data/
> Set SDL$civclient$TaskName Freeciv Client
> and let me know if it works?

Yep, that seems to have cracked it! :-)
Thanks again.
Is it possible to feed this back to riscos.info?

SG nws

Feb 5, 2015, 11:45:03 AM2/5/15
I spoke too soon!
It's ok only up to when the task window pops up, when:

This is the server for Freeciv version 2.3.0
You can learn a lot about Freeciv at http://www.freeciv.org/

***Fatal error: Stack overflow in signal handler***

Please don't trouble yourself any further on my account.
I only d/l it on a whim.