The Great Escape (a 'new' game)

David Thomas

Apr 30, 2020, 3:49:38 PM4/30/20
Dear all,

I hope this missive is visible above the usual comp.sys.acorn.games throng.

For some years I've been disassembling, documenting and rebuilding the
classic 1986 ZX Spectrum game "The Great Escape" in portable C code.
I've written much about it on my site:

http://www.davespace.co.uk/the.great.escape/

Now I've finally gotten around to producing a port of the game to the
RISC OS desktop. This port will need some beta testing, so if you're
interested in trying it out you can find builds of it over on this
thread on stardot:

https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18826#top

(Version 0.91 is the latest as of writing.)

Things of note:

- A help file and instructions for the game are included
- It needs RISC OS 3.1 or later
- It needs an ARM250 machine or greater (!)
- Currently there's no sound, no full screen mode, nor a save game
facility. I might add these. It depends how inclined I feel.

If you want to compare with the original Spectrum version on an emulator
you can grab tape images from WoS:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0002125

Regards,
Dave

Kevin Wells

May 12, 2020, 2:55:08 PM5/12/20
In message <r8fa4h$t7f$1...@dont-email.me>
David Thomas <da...@davespace.co.uk> wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I hope this missive is visible above the usual comp.sys.acorn.games throng.
>
>For some years I've been disassembling, documenting and rebuilding the
>classic 1986 ZX Spectrum game "The Great Escape" in portable C code.
>I've written much about it on my site:
>
> http://www.davespace.co.uk/the.great.escape/
>
>Now I've finally gotten around to producing a port of the game to the
>RISC OS desktop. This port will need some beta testing, so if you're
>interested in trying it out you can find builds of it over on this
>thread on stardot:
>
> https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18826#top

[snip]

It seems to work OK on the ARMX6.

What would be nice is to able to control with the mouse and more
colours.

--
Kev Wells
http://kevsoft.co.uk/ https://ko-fi.com/kevsoft