Zarch for the Archimedes

blakespot

Dec 9, 2009, 7:15:37 AM12/9/09
So I've setup an Archimedes A5000 for the express purpose of playing
Zarch. But I can't find Zarch.

Is there a place I can get the image (has it been released freely?) or
a place I can buy the floppy? Thanks. (I do have Lander.)

bp

trevj

Dec 10, 2009, 4:05:32 AM12/10/09
Expect to pay >£20 s/h when one next comes up on ebay!

http://search.ebay.co.uk/180439320653

blakespot

Dec 11, 2009, 3:12:21 PM12/11/09
Lander (at least) was written in 1987 when the Archimedes 300 and 400
machines were circulating, with 8MHz ARM2's (or so). Lander under
Arculator (emulator) set to ARM2 or ARM250 plays fine, but when set to
ARM3 25 or 33, it's rather fast. Does the commercial Zarch handle
more horsepower a bit more gracefully, or is it, like Lander, a
"turbo" affair on the A5000?

Thanks.

bp

Simon Challands

Dec 11, 2009, 7:31:45 PM12/11/09
In message <38bb539a-d982-4cde...@r13g2000vbb.googlegro
ups.com>
blakespot <blak...@gmail.com> wrote:

From what I recall of trying to play it on the A5000 it was rather on
the fast side. It was written when ARM2 machines were the only
Archimedes there were (nearly said RISC OS, but it predates RO2).

--
Simon Challands

blakespot

Dec 11, 2009, 8:47:28 PM12/11/09
On Dec 11, 7:31 pm, Simon Challands <simon_use...@helvellyn.plus.com>
wrote:
> In message <38bb539a-d982-4cde-bf10-6e9b5bb50...@r13g2000vbb.googlegro
> ups.com>

>           blakespot <blakes...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Lander (at least) was written in 1987 when the Archimedes 300 and 400
> > machines were circulating, with 8MHz ARM2's (or so).  Lander under
> > Arculator (emulator) set to ARM2 or ARM250 plays fine, but when set to
> > ARM3 25 or 33, it's rather fast.  Does the commercial Zarch handle
> > more horsepower a bit more gracefully, or is it, like Lander, a
> > "turbo" affair on the A5000?
>
> From what I recall of trying to play it on the A5000 it was rather on
> the fast side. It was written when ARM2 machines were the only
> Archimedes there were (nearly said RISC OS, but it predates RO2).
>
> --
> Simon Challands

Hm. There wasn't a screen-sync to keep the framerate constant? Is
there a slow-down util for the A4000/A5000?

I wish the game existed as an image somewhere. At least Arculator has
a ARM2 mode. :-(

bp

Simon Challands

Dec 12, 2009, 2:25:43 PM12/12/09
In message <59a64f65-deba-49bd...@k4g2000yqb.googlegrou
ps.com>
blakespot <blak...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 7:31�pm, Simon Challands <simon_use...@helvellyn.plus.com>
> wrote:

>> From what I recall of trying to play it on the A5000 it was rather on
>> the fast side. It was written when ARM2 machines were the only
>> Archimedes there were (nearly said RISC OS, but it predates RO2).

> Hm. There wasn't a screen-sync to keep the framerate constant? Is

> there a slow-down util for the A4000/A5000?

You might be right, I have a vague recollection of something like
that, but I'm not that sure. You could try turning the cache off
(*CACHE OFF) and see if that slows it down enough to be playable.

--
Simon Challands

TomWalker

Dec 13, 2009, 11:57:11 AM12/13/09
On Dec 12, 1:47 am, blakespot <blakes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hm. There wasn't a screen-sync to keep the framerate constant?

Nope. It doesn't wait before or after flipping the screen buffers
either, so on faster machines you get horrible flickering. Not the
best bit of coding...

Tom

blakespot

Dec 18, 2009, 2:47:47 PM12/18/09
So I finally FOUND the original Zarch floppy. Is there ANY way I can
image this to play on an emulator? It's protected, so standard
archivers don't work -- Arcimg would not read it.

Now that I have the orig, I'd not mind finding a broken copy to play
(imaged) - but there seems none out there.

Oy.

bp

John Tytgat

Dec 19, 2009, 8:44:28 AM12/19/09
blakespot wrote:
> So I finally FOUND the original Zarch floppy. Is there ANY way I can
> image this to play on an emulator? It's protected, so standard
> archivers don't work -- Arcimg would not read it.

Perhaps this can help: http://www.bass-software.com/wimpzarch/

John.

blakespot

Dec 21, 2009, 7:16:36 PM12/21/09

Thanks, but how does this help the game run on an emulator? I don't
have a disk image. I just have the orig, protected floppy.

I can't believe there are no images of this game anywhere today. -
shakes head-

blakespot

jeff

Dec 23, 2009, 2:45:44 AM12/23/09
>> I can't believe there are no images of this game anywhere today. -
>> shakes head-

Private email sent.

Jeff

Graham Thurlwell

Dec 23, 2009, 10:25:10 AM12/23/09
On the 22 Dec 2009, blakespot <blak...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Thanks, but how does this help the game run on an emulator? I don't
> have a disk image. I just have the orig, protected floppy.

> I can't believe there are no images of this game anywhere today. -
> shakes head-

The game was published by Superior Software, who are infamous for
ruthlessly protecting their IP. Anyone who puts up any of their games
gets a takedown notice very quickly.

IIRC, they released a compilation of their games a few years back but
I think it was PC-only.

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

nos...@jades.org /is/ a real email address!

blakespot

Dec 23, 2009, 7:39:53 PM12/23/09
BAHH!!!!

I finally got the battery replaced in my A5000 and a PS/2 mouse
adapter and I see my orig Zarch floppy is DAMAGED. Is there an
official way to send this disk back to someone and get a new one? I
am going insane -- Zarch is the point of all this!!!!!!!!!!!

bp

Gerald Holdsworth

Dec 24, 2009, 5:20:06 AM12/24/09

"blakespot" <blak...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Try emailing Steve Hanson at Superior Software : ordacsehi at coldmail dot
com
(replace cold for hot).

Gerald.

Rob White

Dec 22, 2009, 4:33:13 PM12/22/09
In message <b819e2e2-8544-464b...@m11g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>
blakespot <blak...@gmail.com> wrote:

You could try Googling for !WimpZarch by John Tytgat. The chap was from
Belgium if I remember correctly and is most like hosted on an FTP site
somewhere.

I'll see if I have a copy on disk for you, I'm pretty sure it was
public domain.

Cheers,
Rob
--
.__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
| / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | robt...@googlemail.com
"Do sugar cubes have dots or is that a dice I just put in my tea?"

To the world you are somebody, but to somebody you are the world.

Alexander Ausserstorfer

Dec 28, 2009, 10:38:19 PM12/28/09
In der Nachricht
<fa7fd4c...@aqus02.dsl.pipex.com>
Rob White <mfl...@dsl.pipex.com>
hat geschrieben:

> In message <b819e2e2-8544-464b...@m11g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>
> blakespot <blak...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So I finally FOUND the original Zarch floppy. Is there ANY way I can
> > image this to play on an emulator? It's protected, so standard
> > archivers don't work -- Arcimg would not read it.
> >
> > Now that I have the orig, I'd not mind finding a broken copy to play
> > (imaged) - but there seems none out there.
>
> You could try Googling for !WimpZarch by John Tytgat. The chap was from
> Belgium if I remember correctly and is most like hosted on an FTP site
> somewhere.

!WimpZarch is just a frontend for the original game !Zarch and doesn't
contain the game, does it?

Alex'

--
E-Mail: bavariasound [ at�] chiemgau-net [ point] de
PGP (key): http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/kontakt/key

Rob White

Dec 29, 2009, 3:25:20 PM12/29/09
In message <e4f00cd15...@chiemgau-net.de>
"Alexander Ausserstorfer" <bavari...@usenet.cnntp.org> wrote:

> !WimpZarch is just a frontend for the original game !Zarch and doesn't
> contain the game, does it?

Yup, just a front-end. But he *did* say he had an original disk copy!

dhamil...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2016, 8:30:21 PM3/8/16
Pink floyd backing tracks has it in the personal interest section of the site