Desktop Hacker?

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Stuart

unread,
Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
to
Am I correct in thinking that the full version of Desktop Hacker was
released free on a Risc User cover disc? If so can any one E-mail the free
version, as I would not be breaking any law there, would I?

The reason is I think it can be used to speed up or slow games down, and
the speed at that the old games from my A3000 run on the Risc PC you need
about 15 cans of red bull to keep up

Stuart

--
"Even on our own world, Sometimes we are aliens"

Gandalf<stu...@visu-al.demon.co.uk>
Web: http://www.visu-al.demon.co.uk/actual/index.htm

"Comformity Sucks!!"

Tim Fountain

unread,
Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
to
On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:00:20 +0100, Stuart
<Stu...@visu-al.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Am I correct in thinking that the full version of Desktop Hacker was
> released free on a Risc User cover disc? If so can any one E-mail the free
> version, as I would not be breaking any law there, would I?

Yes, as it it is now (C) Beebug Ltd.

You'd be breaking laws in the same way that you would if you zipped up
a couple of Acorn User cover discs and stuck the zip files on your
website. Just because something appears on a cover disc, doesn't make
it free. If the the program had officially been released into the
public domain, that's different, but I'm pretty sure Desktop Hacker
hasn't.

(I could be wrong about this, but I don't think so)

The same thing has happened with Wolfenstein3D, which appeared on a
Risc User magazine disc in 1997, but is still sold as a proper
commercial product (now by Beebug).

Risc User don't have cover discs btw, you have to pay extra for them.


--
Tim Fountain (t...@markgf.demon.co.uk)
http://www.markgf.demon.co.uk/

Richard G. Hallas

unread,
Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
to
On 22 Jun (message <376fdd71...@news.demon.co.uk>)
t...@markgf.demon.co.uk (Tim Fountain) wrote:

Tim is correct. The latest version of Desktop Hacker is a Beebug
product, and the fact that it appeared on a RISC User disc doesn't
mean that it's suddenly free.

The point about RISC User's discs is that they cost money because the
authors of the programs that appear on them are paid reasonable fees
for their efforts, and the discs continue to be availabe and are
supported by Beebug after they've been published. You can still order
a copy of the disc for volume 1 issue 1, dating from 1987, if you
really want it, for example.

I see a lot of people asking for 'freebies' like this on newsgroups,
and it does no-one any favours at all, particularly in the Acorn
climate at present. Is it really any wonder that the market's in the
state it is if people object to paying even a fiver?

Anyone wanting Desktop Hacker can order either the disc for issue 11:6
or the Volume 11 Special Disc, on which it's reapeated. The 11:6 disc
costs UKP4.75 + 1.10 P&P = UKP5.85. The Special Disc costs UKP15.95
(or 9.95 if you subscribe to RU) + UKP1.10 P&P.

The Special Disc is going to be updated shortly, though, so wait a
couple of weeks before ordering that if you want the new update. (It's
got plenty of other very useful things on it.)

And if you're interested in games, you can get the final, StrongARM-
compatible version of Wolfenstein 3D on the 10:10 (100th issue) disc.
It's a three-disc set that costs just UKP10 (or 5.85 to RISC User
subscribers) including P&P. In all cases, there's plenty of other
stuff on the discs as well.

NB Beebug has a new address. It's this:

BEEBUG Ltd
7U St Albans Enterprise Park
Long Spring
Porters Wood
St Albans
Herts
AL3 6EN

Tel. 01727 840303
Fax 01727 840300
Email: sa...@beebug.co.uk

--
Richard
-=-=-=-
Richard G. Hallas -oOo- Technical Writer and Editor
Proprietor of KeyNote: Music Typesetting & General Desktop Publishing
E-mail: Ric...@hallas.demon.co.uk * Telephone/Facsimile: 01484 460280


Stuart

unread,
Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
to
In article <376fdd71...@news.demon.co.uk>,

Tim Fountain <t...@markgf.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:00:20 +0100, Stuart
> <Stu...@visu-al.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Am I correct in thinking that the full version of Desktop Hacker was
> > released free on a Risc User cover disc? If so can any one E-mail the free
> > version, as I would not be breaking any law there, would I?

> Yes, as it it is now (C) Beebug Ltd.

> You'd be breaking laws in the same way that you would if you zipped up
> a couple of Acorn User cover discs and stuck the zip files on your
> website. Just because something appears on a cover disc, doesn't make
> it free. If the the program had officially been released into the
> public domain, that's different, but I'm pretty sure Desktop Hacker
> hasn't.

> (I could be wrong about this, but I don't think so)

> The same thing has happened with Wolfenstein3D, which appeared on a
> Risc User magazine disc in 1997, but is still sold as a proper
> commercial product (now by Beebug).

> Risc User don't have cover discs btw, you have to pay extra for them.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Can you tell me it Desktop Hacker had the option to slow down or speed up
games though? if so I meant as well buy it OR Does Game On I/II control
speed at all?

Its primarily for Burn Out, but I need it for a few other games. As the
speed of the game is ridiculous, I'm more likely to be given $1 by Bill
Gates than avoiding the cars that are travelling a warp speed.

stuart

Alex Macfarlane Smith

unread,
Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
to
In message <49168e0f...@visu-al.demon.co.uk>
Stuart <Stu...@visu-al.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]


>
> Thanks for clearing that up!
>
> Can you tell me it Desktop Hacker had the option to slow down or speed up
> games though? if so I meant as well buy it OR Does Game On I/II control
> speed at all?
>

v1.20 certainly has both Slow down and Speed up.

> Its primarily for Burn Out, but I need it for a few other games. As the
> speed of the game is ridiculous, I'm more likely to be given $1 by Bill
> Gates than avoiding the cars that are travelling a warp speed.
>

BTW - can anyone give me the URL of the Acorn Games FAQ? I need the proper
hi-res mode definitions for modes 0-17 or so.

Thanks,

Alex.
--
E-mail: al...@macfarlanesmith.freeserve.co.uk
WWW: http://www.macfarlanesmith.freeserve.co.uk/
MUD: aardvark at telnet://asylum-mud.org:6715/

Tim Fountain

unread,
Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
to
On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:56:26 +0000, Alex Macfarlane Smith
<macfar...@spam.net> wrote:

> BTW - can anyone give me the URL of the Acorn Games FAQ?

It is maintained by Matthew Hambley, so there's probably a copy of it
on his website at <URL:http://www.therealm.freeserve.co.uk/> (I'm
trying to find check at the moment, but Freeserve are /well/ slow
tonight; it took over 5 minutes to load his index page!)

I've offered several times to mirror the FAQ on Acorn Arcade (which
would make it easy to find), but never got a response.

If there isn't a copy on his site, I've just found it in DejaNews, so
you'll be able to get it at:

<URL:http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=484532071>

(the formatting seems to be a little dodgy for some reason)

HTH,
Tim.

Alex Macfarlane Smith

unread,
Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
to
In message <37712b44...@news.demon.co.uk>
t...@markgf.demon.co.uk (Tim Fountain) wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:56:26 +0000, Alex Macfarlane Smith
> <macfar...@spam.net> wrote:
>
> > BTW - can anyone give me the URL of the Acorn Games FAQ?
>
> It is maintained by Matthew Hambley, so there's probably a copy of it
> on his website at <URL:http://www.therealm.freeserve.co.uk/> (I'm
> trying to find check at the moment, but Freeserve are /well/ slow
> tonight; it took over 5 minutes to load his index page!)
>

Yeah... I think their routing was screwed up (or so said f.announce IIRC)

Andrew Clover

unread,
Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
to
Stuart (Stu...@visu-al.demon.co.uk) wrote:

> Can you tell me it Desktop Hacker had the option to slow down or speed up
> games though?

Indeed. Slow down works pretty reliably on the majority of games; speed
up generally doesn't work unless the game is a good one that uses the
system clock to synch itself. Games that use VSync waits work a bit as
well, up to a point. Obviously you can't make the CPU go faster in software.
(Well, not on RISC OS anyway. But that's another story.)

> if so I meant as well buy it OR Does Game On I/II control
> speed at all?

Game On! defines non-letterbox 100Hz modes and then hacks out every
other VSync event to make games that expect to run at 50Hz work at the
right speed and not in letterbox mode.

Desktop Hacker just makes any game go (x) times slower to make things
easier. Different tools... yer takes yer pick... etc.

--
This posting was brought to you by And Clover.
(Sorry.)

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages