The ultimate acorn gaming site now online

8 views
Skip to first unread message

Acorn Arcade Webmaster

unread,
Jan 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/30/98
to

_____________________________________
()____) )____)
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ |
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ |
| |
| THE ACORN GAMES PARADISE |
|__________________________|


______________________________________

http://www.argonet.co.uk/acorngaming
______________________________________

goes online
Friday 29th January


if you like, have a look.

no pressure.

Things to do and see:
-News and Daily Updated 'What's happening on csa.games?' pages.
-Interview with Jan Klose, author of Exodus.
-'Guess The Game' a competition to win an undisclosed prize.
-Reviews of PD/Shareware Games.
-Links to many other sites.

--
___ ___ _
/ _ \ __ ___ _ _ _ _ / _ \ _ _ __ __ _ __| |___ by:
| _ / _/ _ \ '_| ' \ | _ | '_/ _/ _` / _` / -_) Alasdair Bailey
|_| |_\__\___/_| |_||_| |_| |_|_| \__\__,_\__,_\___| and
THE Acorn Gamer's Paradise Graham Crockford

http://www.argonet.co.uk/acorngaming/ acorn...@argonet.co.uk


Acorn Arcade Webmaster

unread,
Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98
to

In article <4810b5b1ba...@argonet.co.uk>,

Acorn Arcade Webmaster <acorn...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> if you like, have a look.

And you certianly did, we have had 250 hits over the weekend so thanks
everyone for visiting... also, the guest book entries that I revieved have
all been very positive and motivating for both Graham and myself so keep it
up!!! ;-)

BTW: we've got more planned for the site so watch out!!

BFN
AliB

--
_________________________________
()____) )) http://www.argonet.co.uk/acorngaming
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | /
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ | / Maintained by AliB/Grimble
| | \
| THE ACORN GAMES PARADISE | \ - Alasdair Bailey (News/General)
|__________________________| /______________________________________


The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98
to

As the ULTIMATE site games site re-opens!

(SEE POST TITLE !The ultimate Acorn games site (re-opens) )

As founders of Rail 28 and Now PRO on the net we need to update our
colection of tracks for download!

So please send or tell us where to find you Rail 28/Pro/track/layouts so we
can put them all together on the orginal Rail 28/Pro web site! As the first
ppl. to relase this game to the public and being the ultimate Acorn games
site, it seems logical that we have them all together on our site!

Send layouts/or info where to find for inclusion into our site to:
back...@argonet.co.uk

Many thanks,
SEE POST !The ultimate Acorn games site (re-opens): for more info!!!

The site opens on the 14th of Febuary 1998 (next Saturday) at:
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/backwater or http://visitweb.com/backwater
(We currently have a small info page about what you will find on site for
more info at this URL)

--
_____The Backwater ULTIMATE Acorn games scene site:-
/ ___/__ ___ _ ___ ___ Opens on the 14th of Febuary!
/ (_ / _ `/ ' \/ -_|_-< Cheats,Links,PD we have the most!
\___/\_,_/_/_/_/\__/___/ (We can't fit it all in a sig)
htpp://visitweb.com/backwater t...@visitweb.com

For sale, as new will split! Any decent offer accepted: SX33 486 PCcard,!PCPro ,!PCExcahnge Now available! My 223+MX has now arrived! :-)

The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98
to

In article <481246543a...@argonet.co.uk>, Acorn Arcade Webmaster

<acorn...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> BTW: we've got more planned for the site so watch out!!

Watch out from next weekend the te orginal ultimate Acorn gaming site
re-opens!!! On the 14th of Febuary onwards we shall be serving the Acorn
games community once more! :-)

Now we are far larger, smarter, and better HTML coded:-)

The new site will comprise of:-

The Ultimate Acorn Cheat Manual! This manual used to be on AU coverdiscs and
in many PD libarys. We have taken over from the old authour after drawing up
a deal/licence!!! Its now in HTML chapterd and updated!!! This is the
biggest and best collection of Acorn cheats the world has ever seen :-)

The Ultimate Acorn games link page! Our famous link page has been growing
since we closed and is even larger chapterd and thought to be the largest on
the web! (Wow two records allready!)

The Ultimate Acorn Games PD site: Masses of PD reviews and games for
download from the very oldest to the very latest. This is most likely to be
the largest on the WWW!!!

The Ultimate Acorn Games News section! This section of the site will have
all the latest news. (Its small at the mo. but as time goes on with weekly
updates it'll be large :-)!

Rail 28 (now Pro) As the people who brought out and relesed this game on to
the internet! We shall re-open our Rail28 (now Pro) pages. Containing
downloads of the game! Editor! + many new layouts for you to play on! (If
you have any please do email them to us at (back...@argonet.co.uk) or tell
us where we can find them on the web! As the founders of Rail 28 on the net
and public and the first pepole with a Rail 28 site are are the wise place
to have a collection of all the diffrent tracks!!!

The Ultimate PD games awards our site is going to be updated each week! Each
week you will find a new game awarded our famous awared of the best Acorn PD
game of week! Past favourites have been, !Risk, !Rail28, !WWW2, !Startrek,
etc... a backlog of awards is also there!

+ lots more the site has even more than all this and opens on the 14 th
Febuary with kewl style, good HTML and no yellow backgrounds! A frames
version is a option however you can use a non frames browser perfectly well!
Your browser will automatically be directed to the correct site for optimum
use !!!

If you want some more info before the 14th (Next Saturday) you can allways
visit http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/backwater whwere have info of what will
be up from Saturday the 14th of Febuary onwards!

Regards,
(I look forward to next Saturday and your comments in our guest book)
Thomas Sutton (Webmaster)

Jon Hall

unread,
Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98
to

In article <na.9e45cb4815....@argonet.co.uk>, The Vicarage
<back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]



> Watch out from next weekend the te orginal ultimate Acorn gaming site
> re-opens!!!

Naa - I'll stick with the acorngaming site,and DO, thanks...

--
Jon.


Stuart Marshall

unread,
Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98
to

In message <na.9e45cb4815....@argonet.co.uk>
The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Watch out from next weekend the te orginal ultimate Acorn gaming

> site re-opens!!! On the 14th of Febuary onwards we shall be


> serving the Acorn games community once more! :-)

I can hardly wait...

> Now we are far larger, smarter, and better HTML coded:-)

Typing???

> The Ultimate Acorn Cheat Manual! This manual used to be on AU
> coverdiscs and in many PD libarys. We have taken over from the
> old authour after drawing up a deal/licence!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You're kidding, right?!

> Its now in HTML chapterd and updated!!! This is the biggest and
> best collection of Acorn cheats the world has ever seen :-)

Sounds impressive...

> The Ultimate Acorn games link page! Our famous link page has been
> growing since we closed and is even larger chapterd and thought
> to be the largest on the web! (Wow two records allready!)

The largest links page on the web, hehe - very impressive.

> The Ultimate Acorn Games PD site: Masses of PD reviews and games
> for download from the very oldest to the very latest. This is
> most likely to be the largest on the WWW!!!

I guess you've exceeded your 5Mb limit? :-)

> The Ultimate Acorn Games News section! This section of the site
> will have all the latest news. (Its small at the mo. but as time
> goes on with weekly updates it'll be large :-)!

Great stuff...

> Rail 28 (now Pro) As the people who brought out and relesed this
> game on to the internet!

Hmmm.. "brought out" - I think the author /might/ have something
to say about that one...

> We shall re-open our Rail28 (now Pro) pages. Containing downloads
> of the game! Editor! + many new layouts for you to play on!

I look forward to this.

> (If you have any please do email them to us at (backwater@argonet.


> co.uk) or tell us where we can find them on the web! As the
> founders of Rail 28 on the net and public and the first pepole
> with a Rail 28 site are are the wise place to have a collection
> of all the diffrent tracks!!!

If you say so.

> The Ultimate PD games awards our site is going to be updated each
> week!

But for how long?

> Each week you will find a new game awarded our famous awared of
> the best Acorn PD game of week!

I wonder if anything I've written with be given an "awared".

> Past favourites have been, !Risk, !Rail28, !WWW2, !Startrek,
> etc... a backlog of awards is also there!

So I might have already won one, great stuff.

> + lots more the site has even more than all this and opens on the
> 14 th Febuary with kewl style, good HTML and no yellow
> backgrounds!

I look forward to the new "kewl" style, and good HTML. 14th
February you say - excellent, valentines day.

> A frames version is a option however you can use a non frames
> browser perfectly well! Your browser will automatically be
> directed to the correct site for optimum use !!!

That's jolly clever...

> If you want some more info before the 14th (Next Saturday) you
> can allways visit http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/backwater whwere
> have info of what will be up from Saturday the 14th of Febuary
> onwards!

Wow, I'm on my way...

> (I look forward to next Saturday and your comments in our guest
> book) Thomas Sutton (Webmaster)

I'm sure you'll get plenty of comments...

Regards,

--
Stuart Marshall, Spidersoft - http://www.argonet.co.uk/spidersoft/
____________________________________________________________________
stuart....@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce.
Submissions to cs...@acorn.com, related mail to
csaa-r...@acorn.com. A posting in comp.sys.acorn.announce
does not constitute endorsement by any part of the Acorn Group.

Tim Fountain

unread,
Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98
to

The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Watch out from next weekend the te orginal ultimate Acorn gaming site
> re-opens!!! On the 14th of Febuary onwards we shall be serving the Acorn
> games community once more! :-)

...


> The Ultimate Acorn Cheat Manual!

...
> The Ultimate Acorn games link page!

...


> The Ultimate Acorn Games PD site:

...


> The Ultimate PD games awards

...
> (I look forward to next Saturday and your comments in our guest book)
> Thomas Sutton (Webmaster)

Hmmm. Well all I can say is that you are going to have some *serious*
competition, both from Acorn Arcade, and my up-coming site, Acorn Gamer
(not finished yet) it's going to be interesting!

BFN!
--
_______ _____
|__ __| | ___|
Tim Fountain :-) / | | | |__ \ email: t...@markgf.demon.co.uk
------------------------< | | | __| >-----------------------------
New Acorn Games website \ | | | | / http://www.markgf.demon.co.uk
coming soon! |_| |_|

The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98
to

In article <na.255a044815...@argonet.co.uk>, Jon Hall

<jgh...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Naa - I'll stick with the acorngaming site,and DO, thanks...

We have ben around for along time then went into hibernation.

We are nocoming back weith far more put forwrd to you far more well, in all
forms of the word!

Matthew and I are currently talking on IRC and Email forging links, so that
hopefully we will not be tow very similair arguing! I can't really tell you
anything more but I can assure we do not want to work against each-other!
(fiendly competion, perhaps is invetiable, but not a war ;-)

I'll let you no more about this when I can, but I cna defineatly say its all
about links!

Regards,

The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98
to

The first meeting on #acorngaming went well!

The IRC room is for all Acorn game users and has a ops for all policy!

Whenever you log on to IRC I advise poping in to see if there are like
minded gamers wanting a chat!

The offcial meeting time is set as Sundays at 8.00pm however you can
probably expect to find people all the W/K.

Ideas for meeting on Saturdays at 8.00pm were also thought about and look to
go ahead!

So times so far are:
Sundays 8.00pm
Saturdays 8.00pm

I'm currently trying perswade some prominent games authours to turn up next
Sunday!

Regards,
Tom

--
_____The Backwater ULTIMATE Acorn games scene site:-
/ ___/__ ___ _ ___ ___ Opens on the 14th of Febuary!
/ (_ / _ `/ ' \/ -_|_-< Cheats,Links,PD we have the most!
\___/\_,_/_/_/_/\__/___/ (We can't fit it all in a sig)

htpp://visitweb.com/acorngaming t...@argonet.co.uk

Jon Hall

unread,
Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98
to

In article <na.655b964815....@argonet.co.uk>, The Vicarage
<back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
[snip]

> We have ben around for along time then went into hibernation.

How's 'ben' then?


--
jgh...@argonet.co.uk
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/jghall/
SA/RPC,ZFCZr,Hereford United F.C.fan.
IRC'Jon_'.'Acorn @ heart'.C.I.


The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98
to

In article <1b275d1548%d.s....@argonet.co.uk>, Stuart Marshall

<d.s....@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> In message <na.9e45cb4815....@argonet.co.uk>
> The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
x>
> I can hardly wait...

Neither can I :-)

>
> > Now we are far larger, smarter, and better HTML coded:-)
>
> Typing???

I've purchased WebSpell!

>
> > old authour after drawing up a deal/licence!!!
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> You're kidding, right?!

No, dead serious! He made some money with it being shareware!
Anyway we now have it!!!
>
>
> Sounds impressive...


>
> I guess you've exceeded your 5Mb limit? :-)

A lot is to be uploaded to Argo FTP: We can put as much PD as we like on
there :-) Some of the site graphics etc... are to be stored on geocities
sites, hehe

>
> > The Ultimate PD games awards our site is going to be updated each
> > week!
>
> But for how long?

Eternity ;-)


>
> I'm sure you'll get plenty of comments...

I'm sure I will! ;-)

Tom, (Yes the site is to be as god and big as it all sounds, and no you
don't have llok at my hideous artwork! We have had a proper artist do
all logos and icons etc...)

Rik Griffin

unread,
Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98
to

In article <na.9e45cb4815....@argonet.co.uk>,
back...@argonet.co.uk (The Vicarage) wrote:

> Watch out from next weekend the te orginal ultimate Acorn gaming site
> re-opens!!!

Oh goody.

> Now we are far larger, smarter, and better HTML coded:-)

Better spelt?

--
"I've been looking for the ultimate crime,
Infinite victims, infinitesimal time." - Jim Steinman

Tony Houghton

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In message <na.f95f274815....@argonet.co.uk>
The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> The first meeting on #acorngaming went well!
>
> The IRC room is for all Acorn game users and has a ops for all policy!

Well in that case I hope that "trojan/mallard" troublemaker I've heard
of doesn't turn up ;).

> Whenever you log on to IRC I advise poping in to see if there are like
> minded gamers wanting a chat!

Ooh, so now we can rule the Catholic church from IRC! :-)

--
\_________________
\ http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/
The Curling Pages \ The home of WinEd, Bombz and NewsFind for RISC OS

Robert Titman

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.9e45cb4815....@argonet.co.uk>, The Vicarage
<back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <481246543a...@argonet.co.uk>, Acorn Arcade Webmaster
> <acorn...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > BTW: we've got more planned for the site so watch out!!

> Watch out from next weekend the te orginal ultimate Acorn gaming site


> re-opens!!! On the 14th of Febuary onwards we shall be serving the Acorn
> games community once more! :-)

I really can't wait this is going to be fantastic I'm sure... is it better
than 32-bit Acorn Gaming and DO Games Scene?

> Now we are far larger, smarter, and better HTML coded:-)

Who's we? Or is that the royal we?

> The new site will comprise of:-

> The Ultimate Acorn Cheat Manual! This manual used to be on AU coverdiscs
> and
> in many PD libarys. We have taken over from the old authour after drawing
> up
> a deal/licence!!! Its now in HTML chapterd and updated!!! This is the


> biggest and best collection of Acorn cheats the world has ever seen :-)

Sounds good... I'm worrying about the multiple exclaimation marks there...
I think that's a sign of an unbalanced mind... well if it's got you this
excited and you're making it I'm sure it'll be fantastic.



> The Ultimate Acorn games link page! Our famous link page has been growing
> since we closed and is even larger chapterd and thought to be the largest
> on
> the web! (Wow two records allready!)

Make sure you remember ARM'd & Dangerous at
http://www.argonet.co.uk/armdanddangerous/ (well I got my plug in :)

> The Ultimate Acorn Games PD site: Masses of PD reviews and games for
> download from the very oldest to the very latest. This is most likely to
> be
> the largest on the WWW!!!

Is this a list of links or have you been using up your free 5Mb argo web
space?

> The Ultimate Acorn Games News section! This section of the site will have
> all the latest news. (Its small at the mo. but as time goes on with weekly
> updates it'll be large :-)!

Even better than the gaming news on 32-bit Acorn gaming?

> Rail 28 (now Pro) As the people who brought out and relesed this game on
> to

> the internet! We shall re-open our Rail28 (now Pro) pages. Containing
> downloads of the game! Editor! + many new layouts for you to play on! (If
> you have any please do email them to us at (back...@argonet.co.uk) or


> tell
> us where we can find them on the web! As the founders of Rail 28 on the
> net
> and public and the first pepole with a Rail 28 site are are the wise place
> to have a collection of all the diffrent tracks!!!

Are you sure you released it onto the internet... I'm certain I remember it
available from the arcade BBS filebase (accessable at weekends on the WWW)
months before you even had a web site let alone started spamming csa.* about
it...

> The Ultimate PD games awards our site is going to be updated each week!

> Each
> week you will find a new game awarded our famous awared of the best Acorn
> PD

> game of week! Past favourites have been, !Risk, !Rail28, !WWW2, !Startrek,


> etc... a backlog of awards is also there!

Best Acorn PD game of the week? Surely that'd just be the same game until a
better one is made? I think Gyrinus2 was a pretty fantastic game how about
that? Has there been anything better since? I don't think you can attempt to
pick a different game to 'award' ever week, that would be a pretty stupid
system...

> + lots more the site has even more than all this and opens on the 14 th

> Febuary with kewl style, good HTML and no yellow backgrounds! A frames


> version is a option however you can use a non frames browser perfectly
> well!
> Your browser will automatically be directed to the correct site for
> optimum
> use !!!

Well I'm glad that excites you enough for three exclaimation marks but it
seems like a pretty simple piece of html to me... well done anyway...

> If you want some more info before the 14th (Next Saturday) you can allways
> visit http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/backwater whwere have info of what
> will
> be up from Saturday the 14th of Febuary onwards!

Can I just ask that you don't use an image map with no alternative links
listed below? I know you like having masses of hits on your counter but it's
totally inconsiderate to force people to download images. Thanks.

> Regards,


> (I look forward to next Saturday and your comments in our guest book)
> Thomas Sutton (Webmaster)

TTFN, Robert.

Peace, Love, Anarchy.

--
GElf's Speed bump : http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/robert.t/gelf/
ARM'd & Dangerous : http://www.argonet.co.uk/armdanddangerous/
BritCodev1.1: Brit(E) H-:- a18 s:- hd- b! m! y? X--:+ !P--- S!
M-- R-- A C--- T! TV+ Ci MuRIP++FW--- Am--- Ac++ B++ V++


John Ward

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <6240761548%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>,

Tony Houghton <to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <na.f95f274815....@argonet.co.uk>
> The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
[small snip]

> > Whenever you log on to IRC I advise poping in to see if there are
> > like minded gamers wanting a chat!

> Ooh, so now we can rule the Catholic church from IRC! :-)

Ah, so would that change IRC to mean "Internet Roman Catholics"?

--
John M Ward : ZFC A & member of Convergence International
Long-term Acorn user, not really an expert but ask anyway!


MoZes

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.f95f274815....@argonet.co.uk>, The Vicarage

<URL:mailto:back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> The first meeting on #acorngaming went well!
>
> The IRC room is for all Acorn game users and has a ops for all policy!

I don't understand your obsession with ops. Ops are supposed to be
given to users who know how IRC works properly, and can control a
channel.
ITs just plain sad when people ask for ops - or you post messages
about giving ops to everybody. The idea of the channel is so that
people can chat about games (in this instance), not say 'oh, I'm an
operator, wow, I'm wonderful.'


And you wonder why you keep getting banned from #acorn...


<sigh>


cyl,
MoZes
--
Stuart Winter (change domain name to "@ccL4.org" to reply)
Web site - http://fish.ccL4.org/mozes/
MoZes on IRCnet, in channels: #acorn, #argonet


The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <n155...@markgf.demon.co.uk>, t...@markgf.demon.co.uk (Tim

Fountain) wrote:
> Hmmm. Well all I can say is that you are going to have some *serious*
> competition, both from Acorn Arcade, and my up-coming site, Acorn Gamer
> (not finished yet) it's going to be interesting!

Well perhaps we needn't be sthe strictist of enemys?

Acorn Arcade and us are all ready forging links.

There may be some rivalry: We don't a long war etc.... Espiceally if its a
short war cuase then someone must loose! :-(
We don't want that!

Regards,

--
_____The Backwater ULTIMATE Acorn games scene site:-
/ ___/__ ___ _ ___ ___ Opens on the 14th of Febuary!
/ (_ / _ `/ ' \/ -_|_-< Cheats,Links,PD we have the most!
\___/\_,_/_/_/_/\__/___/ (We can't fit it all in a sig)

htpp://visitweb.com/acorngaming gam...@argonet.co.uk

The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.52b2ef4815....@argonet.co.uk>, Robert Titman

<robe...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Make sure you remember ARM'd & Dangerous at
> http://www.argonet.co.uk/armdanddangerous/ (well I got my plug in :)

We have got them allready!

On #acorn gaming loads of ppl. wnated links to places eg for Karma:
I was able to give all but one of requested links! :-)

The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.52b2ef4815....@argonet.co.uk>, Robert Titman
<robe...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Is this a list of links or have you been using up your free 5Mb argo web
> space?

We are uploading a lot of games to Argo FTP!

There we can have as many as we like :-)

The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.52b2ef4815....@argonet.co.uk>, Robert Titman
<robe...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> pick a different game to 'award' ever week

It worked before and became very popular!

There are many good games lost in warps of time etc... ;-)

If we run out of games we will stop awards each week!
!Risk etc... no one had heard of till we came about :-)

Text only will be available, it will work on NON frames browsers too....
Don't worry non one will have to miss out ;-)


Many thanks,

The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <6240761548%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>, Tony Houghton
<to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:
> Well in that case I hope that "trojan/mallard" troublemaker I've heard
> of doesn't turn up ;).

I don't have that sort of reputation do I???

>
> > Whenever you log on to IRC I advise poping in to see if there are like
> > minded gamers wanting a chat!
>
> Ooh, so now we can rule the Catholic church from IRC! :-)

/me is defineatly NOT catholic!

Regards,

Michael-Dennis Biemans

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <n155...@markgf.demon.co.uk>, t...@markgf.demon.co.uk (Tim
> Fountain) wrote:
>> Hmmm. Well all I can say is that you are going to have some *serious*
>> competition, both from Acorn Arcade, and my up-coming site, Acorn Gamer
>> (not finished yet) it's going to be interesting!

> Well perhaps we needn't be sthe strictist of enemys?

> Acorn Arcade and us are all ready forging links.

ooohhh, forgery :-)

> There may be some rivalry: We don't a long war etc....

I don't the verb

> Espiceally if its a short war cuase then someone must loose! :-(

^^^^^

Spice Girls obsession ?

> We don't want that!

Of course you don't, we all know who'd lose (one "o").

> Regards,

> --
> _____The Backwater ULTIMATE Acorn games scene site:-

backwater, the ultimate disaster movie.


MD

MoZes

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.6bc2a34815....@argonet.co.uk>, The Vicarage

<URL:mailto:back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <6240761548%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>, Tony Houghton
> <to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:
> > Well in that case I hope that "trojan/mallard" troublemaker I've heard
> > of doesn't turn up ;).
>
> I don't have that sort of reputation do I???

For annoying everyone, yes.

Dave Sloan

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

> We have ben around for along time then went into hibernation.

Oh, forgive me if I don't shout it out in the streets!



> We are nocoming back weith far more put forwrd to you far more well, in
> all forms of the word!

And spellings / grammatical mistakes...



> Matthew and I are currently talking on IRC and Email forging links, so
> that hopefully we will not be tow very similair arguing! I can't really

If anyone can translate this, please get in touch...
Forging false claims seems more likely - I don't know about your site, but I
sincerely doubt that it has the most links on the web (I'd have thought
alta-vista won that one). Now I know that you're enthusiastic, but take a
look at AliB + Graham C's pages, they are more like what I want to see, as
if they had more depth, they would be near perfect.

> tell you anything more but I can assure we do not want to work against
> each-other! (fiendly competion, perhaps is invetiable, but not a war ;-)

God forbid a bit of competition in the Acorn market, it might actually lead
to something good being produced eventually.



> I'll let you no more about this when I can, but I cna defineatly say its
> all about links!

Do you mean no more as in nothing else, or know more as it explain extra
information? It's times like this when people will go ape-crazy at you for
the stupid way in which you express yourself. You should write what you
mean, proof read it and then send it... My stuff isn't brilliant, but most
people can understand me.

Good luck,

--
Dave

Robert Titman

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.dac2744815....@argonet.co.uk>, The Vicarage

<back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> In article <na.52b2ef4815....@argonet.co.uk>, Robert Titman
> <robe...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > pick a different game to 'award' ever week

> It worked before and became very popular!

It's the 'best game' wording you were using... misleading I think...

> There are many good games lost in warps of time etc... ;-)

> If we run out of games we will stop awards each week!
> !Risk etc... no one had heard of till we came about :-)

Well you've never had a game I hadn't already played. I mean if you call it
old game of the week and use less exclaimation marks people might take you
more seriously than hyping old games and claiming an exclusive.

> Text only will be available, it will work on NON frames browsers too....
> Don't worry non one will have to miss out ;-)

Oh thanks for taking my advice ;)

Still as I said before i'm sure it's going to be fantastic. Keep up the good
work.

TTFN, Robert.

Peace, love, anarchy.

Andy Piper

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.6bc2a34815....@argonet.co.uk>,

The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <6240761548%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>, Tony Houghton
> <to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:
> > Well in that case I hope that "trojan/mallard" troublemaker I've
> > heard of doesn't turn up ;).
> I don't have that sort of reputation do I???

Not at all... the words "twerp" and "annoying" never come anywhere
near my thoughts when reading your posts...

> > > Whenever you log on to IRC I advise poping in to see if there
> > > are like minded gamers wanting a chat!
> > Ooh, so now we can rule the Catholic church from IRC! :-)
> /me is defineatly NOT catholic!

Probably lucky for the Catholic church - imagine the confessions. The
priest would be driven insane.

--
Andy Piper an...@argonet.co.uk
Fareham, Hampshire
Acorn Resources and More at <http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/andyp>
*** All views expressed are my own! ***


Andy Piper

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.dac2744815....@argonet.co.uk>,

The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <na.52b2ef4815....@argonet.co.uk>, Robert
Titman
> <robe...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > pick a different game to 'award' ever week
> It worked before and became very popular!

Just like you?
(oh no, I forgot, you've never worked... and it shows)

> There are many good games lost in warps of time etc... ;-)

True.

> If we run out of games we will stop awards each week!
> !Risk etc... no one had heard of till we came about :-)

Nonsense. Absolute rubbish. Rather like your inflated claims re:
Rail28 etc..

> Text only will be available, it will work on NON frames browsers
> too.... Don't worry non one will have to miss out ;-)

Thank goodness *I'm* not a "non one" (sic), because if I was, well -
I'd have to miss out, wouldn't I? That would be disastrous :-(

Anyway, you've no doubt tested your wonderful graphics-and-frames
laden site with text-only browsers such as Lynx, so I needn't worry
that you're failing in your duty as a Webmaster to support the whole
Internet community.

Andy

John Duffey

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.dac2744815....@argonet.co.uk>,
The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> htpp://visitweb.com/acorngaming gam...@argonet.co.uk
^^^^^

You'll get very few hits if you have it like this. Change it to http:
pronto.

(I had this same error one too don'tcherknow)

John

--
_ _
| | ___ | |__ _ __
_ | |/ _ \| '_ \| '_ \ jdu...@enterprise.net
| |_| | (_) | | | | | | | http://homepages.enterprise.net/jduffey
\___/ \___/|_| |_|_| |_| (Yawn, dah!, mmmm, woo, mmmm, d'oh!, mmmm, zzzz)

Jim White

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.52b2ef4815....@argonet.co.uk>, Robert Titman
<robe...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > The Ultimate Acorn Games PD site: Masses of PD reviews and games for
> > download from the very oldest to the very latest. This is most likely to
> > be
> > the largest on the WWW!!!

Bigger than Coby`s linkz?

I don`t think so....

Rob

--
Jim White
ZFC Cd Wimbledon London England


Acorn Arcade Webmaster

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

I just had to make some comments here ,-)

In article <na.2ac82e4815...@argonet.co.uk>,


Dave Sloan <dsl...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Now I know that you're enthusiastic, but take a
> look at AliB + Graham C's pages, they are more like what I want to see, as
> if they had more depth, they would be near perfect.

Thanks, and if you look again you'll see a lot more has started popping up
now... there's interviews with Eddie Edwards and Martin Piper in the
pipeline, we're now hosting the Bunny Race pages, the news/reviews bits are
growing fast with work starting on commercial game reviews soon!

Also, we've dreampt up and are supporting the new IRC channel #acorngaming
...remember every sunday night 8pm!

BFN
AliB

--
_________________________________
()____) )) http://www.argonet.co.uk/acorngaming
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | /
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ | / Maintained by AliB/Grimble
| | \
| THE ACORN GAMES PARADISE | \ - Alasdair Bailey (News/General)
|__________________________| /______________________________________


Acorn Arcade Webmaster

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.f95f274815....@argonet.co.uk>,

The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Ideas for meeting on Saturdays at 8.00pm were also thought about and look to
> go ahead!

> So times so far are:
> Sundays 8.00pm
> Saturdays 8.00pm

hmmm, Graham, u there... i thought #acorngaming was of our creation and is
supported on our site?

I'll take this up by email with Tom, as he seems to think he owns the channel
from that post, not that we think we do but it's just... ,-)

Also see http://www.argonet.co.uk/acornarcade/ for a new page about the IRC
channel!

The first night was promising, there were about 10 people there at times and
the fun continued from 8 right up 'till about 9:30 :-)

Alasdair Bailey

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.9e45cb4815....@argonet.co.uk>,

The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Rail 28 (now Pro) As the people who brought out and relesed this game on to
> the internet! We shall re-open our Rail28 (now Pro) pages. Containing
> downloads of the game! Editor! + many new layouts for you to play on! (If
> you have any please do email them to us at (back...@argonet.co.uk) or tell
> us where we can find them on the web! As the founders of Rail 28 on the net
> and public and the first pepole with a Rail 28 site are are the wise place
> to have a collection of all the diffrent tracks!!!

Hmm, Tom did you not notice that I now host the official (as in approved by
Jos) RailPro site? -it's on the acorn arcade features section and has many
maps and a FAQ list :-)

Also, there's now a new version of RailPro available on the site. It's
version 1.4 and only features minor improvements. This one really will be
the last version due to Jos' deteriorating health and he is also being
disconnected from the internet at the end of the month.

It would be a nice idea if some of us emailed Jos (the author of RailPro) to
keep his spirits up as he is suffering badly from cancer atm and he's shortly
loosing his internet email address. I won't publish the address, just those
who've been in contact with him before otherwise he'll be embarrased!

BFN
AliB

--
___ _ _ ___ (Alasdair Bailey)
/ _ \| (_) _ ) al...@argonet.co.uk
| _ | | | _ \
|_| |_|_|_|___/ http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/alib/


Al McRonald

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.6862214815....@argonet.co.uk>, The Vicarage

<back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> In article <1b275d1548%d.s....@argonet.co.uk>, Stuart Marshall
> <d.s....@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > In message <na.9e45cb4815....@argonet.co.uk>
> > The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Now we are far larger, smarter, and better HTML coded:-)
> >
> > Typing???
>
> I've purchased WebSpell!

Have you indeed? Are you using it????

> Tom, (Yes the site is to be as god and big as it all sounds, and no you

^^^


> don't have llok at my hideous artwork! We have had a proper artist

^^^^


> do all logos and icons etc...)

Spelling checkers can't pick up on everything you know!

Cheers,

al


--
(^\ /^)
\ V / Al McRonald - Digital Oasis Games Scene Coordinator
(o o) 3rd Year MEng Electronic Engineer
( (~) )
/\"/\ asm...@ecs.soton.ac.uk
() * () al.m...@argonet.co.uk
(~)_(~) http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~asm495/

David Robinson

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.edc2104815....@argonet.co.uk>,

The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <na.52b2ef4815....@argonet.co.uk>, Robert Titman
> <robe...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Make sure you remember ARM'd & Dangerous at
> > http://www.argonet.co.uk/armdanddangerous/ (well I got my plug in :)

> We have got them allready!

How about that, Robert. He'd got you already and you didn't even know it.
There again, I don't think Tom realised either :-)

--
Cheers,

David

David Robinson

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.66c1e64815....@argonet.co.uk>,

The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Espiceally if its a short war cuase then someone must loose!
~~~~~

Would that be Scary Spice, or Spelling Spice ?

--
Cheers,

David

David Robinson

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.f95f274815....@argonet.co.uk>,

The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> The first meeting on #acorngaming went well!

Out of interest, which IRC net hosts this gathering? Not noticed it on
Undernet, so is it on Efnet ?

--
Cheers,

David

David Robinson

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <na.dac2744815....@argonet.co.uk>,

The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> If we run out of games we will stop awards each week!

So every game will eventually acquire an award? Doesn't that rather defeat
the idea?

> !Risk etc... no one had heard of till we came about :-)

Great big dangly things! I was playing Risk before you were even on the
internet, and quite possibly playing the traditional version before you
were born.....

--
Cheers,

David

David Robinson

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <4815bad5f...@argonet.co.uk>,

John Ward <john...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <6240761548%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>,
> Tony Houghton <to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:
> > In message <na.f95f274815....@argonet.co.uk>
> > The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> [small snip]
> > > Whenever you log on to IRC I advise poping in to see if there are
> > > like minded gamers wanting a chat!

> > Ooh, so now we can rule the Catholic church from IRC! :-)

> Ah, so would that change IRC to mean "Internet Roman Catholics"?

I can see it now. The priest approaches you, makes the sign of the cross
and chants... "I too can play dominos"

--
Cheers,

David

Graham Crockford

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In message <na.9e45cb4815....@argonet.co.uk>
The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <481246543a...@argonet.co.uk>, Acorn Arcade Webmaster
> <acorn...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > BTW: we've got more planned for the site so watch out!!
>
> Watch out from next weekend the te orginal ultimate Acorn gaming site
> re-opens!!! On the 14th of Febuary onwards we shall be serving the Acorn
> games community once more! :-)

Again, no association guys!

> The new site will comprise of:-

Spelling checked, but not grammar checked, obviously... do carry on.

> The Ultimate Acorn Cheat Manual! [snip] This is the


> biggest and best collection of Acorn cheats the world has ever seen :-)

Gareth, please join us in the general disbelief here...

> The Ultimate Acorn Games PD site: Masses of PD reviews and games for
> download from the very oldest to the very latest. This is most likely to be
> the largest on the WWW!!!

Try and compete with <http://www.econym.demon.co.uk>.

Besides, if people want a collection half full of cheese and half full of
good stuff, the can just have a flick through the stuttgart archive. What
we want is a collection of *good* games; AA's philosophy.

> The Ultimate Acorn Games News section! This section of the site will have
> all the latest news. (Its small at the mo. but as time goes on with weekly
> updates it'll be large :-)!

What's the point of that? You only hold news articles which are currently
relevant, that's what news is. The last thing people want is news from
6 months ago...

> Rail 28 (now Pro) As the people who brought out and relesed this game on to
> the internet! We shall re-open our Rail28 (now Pro) pages.

Why exactly? AliB hosts the official RailPro pages. Is there any real
purpose for having another one? It's not as if it's an unhealthy lack of
competition. :-/

I don't like the assertion that it's the ORIGINAL Railpro site. :-|

> The Ultimate PD games awards our site is going to be updated each week!

We just need games to released each week. MartP and RobT should be able to
help there... :-)

G
--
________
__/____\__ Get HOLOCAUST - The ultimate tanks game
\________/ Get My PGP key, get info on me, and visit Acorn Arcade

All at the Grey Havens - <http://www.greyhaven.demon.co.uk>

Graham Crockford

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In message <1b275d1548%d.s....@argonet.co.uk>
Stuart Marshall <d.s....@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <na.9e45cb4815....@argonet.co.uk>
> The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Rail 28 (now Pro) As the people who brought out and relesed this
> > game on to the internet!
>

> Hmmm.. "brought out" - I think the author /might/ have something
> to say about that one...

Especially as the Railpro stuff has been left in the hands of AliB...

> I'm sure you'll get plenty of comments...

Flames, you mean? ;-) I'm sure Tom's used to that! (Check out the tasteful
use of the <blink> tag and the lack of widths/heights on the graphics :-)

Graham Crockford

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In message <na.66c1e64815....@argonet.co.uk>
The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Acorn Arcade and us are all ready forging links.

I would like to publically disclaim any connection with this person. This
is a scandalous bit of cack, so don't believe a word of it.

I have never even exchanged a mail with the 'vicarage', let alone forged
links, and I think I'd rembber <sic>.

Graham Crockford

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In message <na.f95f274815....@argonet.co.uk>
The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm currently trying perswade some prominent games authours to turn up next
> Sunday!

I would like to point out that this is in a purely unofficial capacity.
I certainly had no idea Tom was even there.

Please no-one be concerned, Tom's site is completely unconnected with Acorn
Arcade, despite what he may be suggesting.

He's leaving us a bit of a mess to clear up... Please keep the hits coming
in!

The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98
to

In article <ant091657868S5$W...@rai.ccl4.org>, MoZes
<MoZes@read_sig_file_to_reply.org> wrote:
> not say 'oh, I'm an
> operator, wow, I'm wonderful.'

hehe I can't agree more!

Oooops soory I upset U, I can't agree more to be honest!

Regards,


--
_____The Backwater ULTIMATE Acorn games scene site:-

/ ___/__ ___ _ ___ ___ Cheats,Links,PD,reviews, we have the best!
/ (_ / _ `/ ' \/ -_|_-< (We can't fit everything we have in a sig)
\___/\_,_/_/_/_/\__/___/ http://visitweb.com./acorngaming
Thomas Sutton webmsater: gam...@argonet.co.uk

We are not yet open :-( We open on the 14th of Febuary 1998 (Saturday)
Come along join in the party! Then meet us on #acorngaming at 8pm SatOrSun


Toby Haynes

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

In article <4815e58...@argonet.co.uk>,

Alasdair Bailey <al...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>Also, there's now a new version of RailPro available on the site. It's
>version 1.4 and only features minor improvements. This one really will be
>the last version due to Jos' deteriorating health and he is also being
>disconnected from the internet at the end of the month.
>
>It would be a nice idea if some of us emailed Jos (the author of RailPro) to
>keep his spirits up as he is suffering badly from cancer atm and he's shortly
>loosing his internet email address. I won't publish the address, just those
>who've been in contact with him before otherwise he'll be embarrased!

Woo. I'm sad to here that - I enjoyed messing around with Rail28 and
RailPro, albeit briefly. I think I won't be alone in congratulating
Jos on RailPro, and more importantly hoping fervently that he manages
to beat off the cancer and gets well soon.

Cheers,
Toby
--
Toby Haynes | "Take a look at Independance Day. There
Somewhere in Cambridge | you have concrete proof that all you need
| to do to destroy an Alien Civilisation
| is to plug an Apple Mac into it ..."

Ferdinand Veldmans

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

Michael-Dennis Biemans <mich...@stack.nl> wrote in article
<6bnhdg$k...@snail.stack.nl>...

> The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <n155...@markgf.demon.co.uk>, t...@markgf.demon.co.uk (Tim
> > Fountain) wrote:
> >> Hmmm. Well all I can say is that you are going to have some *serious*
> >> competition, both from Acorn Arcade, and my up-coming site, Acorn Gamer
> >> (not finished yet) it's going to be interesting!
>
> > Well perhaps we needn't be sthe strictist of enemys?
>
> > Acorn Arcade and us are all ready forging links.
>
> ooohhh, forgery :-)
>
> > There may be some rivalry: We don't a long war etc....
>
> I don't the verb
>
> > Espiceally if its a short war cuase then someone must loose! :-(
> ^^^^^
>
> Spice Girls obsession ?
>
> > We don't want that!
>
> Of course you don't, we all know who'd lose (one "o").
>
> > Regards,
>
> > --
> > _____The Backwater ULTIMATE Acorn games scene site:-
>
> backwater, the ultimate disaster movie.

Thanks MD, you made my day :-)

--
Ferdinand Veldmans (aka LogiX of Topix)
f.vel...@ehv.tass.philips.com
Visit TopixWEB at http://www.dse.nl/~topix/
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Windows 98 - Who do you want to fool today?


Adrian Jackson

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

MoZes wrote:
> In article <na.6bc2a34815....@argonet.co.uk>, The Vicarage
> <URL:mailto:back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > I don't have that sort of reputation do I???

> For annoying everyone, yes.

Really? I'm personally a lot more annoyed by the fact that
every time Tom tries to post anything, five or six people
immediately follow up with oh-so-incredibly-amusing
comments about his spelling, criticisms of a page they
haven't even been to look at, and generally offensive
remarks.

Tom seems genuinely interested in providing a service to
other Acorn gamers, even if he's somewhat over-enthusiastic
about it. I'm sure a lot of people have picked up the Game
of the Week from the backwater site before - I know I
downloaded most of them, and some were not available
elsewhere to my knowledge. Having a number of quality and
regularly updated sites about Acorn gaming can only do the
scene good.

Out of the ~50 posts to csag when I looked at my news
today, two were from Tom. One was interesting and
informative, the other slightly less so, but certainly
no worse than the average level of debate here. In
contrast there were 17 completely pointless posts picking
at various aspects of his spelling with no new/interesting
content in them at all.

I think what I'm trying to say here is: grow up. Really.
And if you're going to take the piss out of Tom's web
site at least have the common decency to visit it first.

This has been a public service rant. We now return you to
normal service...

Adrian

Gareth Moore

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

In message <na.9e45cb4815....@argonet.co.uk>
The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> [..]

> Rail 28 (now Pro) As the people who brought out and relesed this
> game on to the internet!
> [..]

> As the founders of Rail 28 on the net and public
> [..]

Actually, Tom, those are blatant lies. You could download the same game
from the Digital Oasis Games Scene site long before you first staggered
onto the internet. There was even a full review there.

Also, I've noticed that you don't seem to know the meaning of the word
"ultimate". ;)


Gareth

--
Gareth Moore Station Manager, Cambridge University Radio
Downing College, CB2 1DQ gl...@cam.ac.uk
32-bit Acorn Gaming WWW Pages http://www.doggysoft.co.uk/gaming/
====== The longest running regularly updated Acorn WWW magazine ======

Tim Fountain

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>> Hmmm. Well all I can say is that you are going to have some *serious*
>> competition, both from Acorn Arcade, and my up-coming site, Acorn Gamer
>> (not finished yet) it's going to be interesting!

> Well perhaps we needn't be sthe strictist of enemys?

> Acorn Arcade and us are all ready forging links.

Can I ask what sort of links you're 'forging'?

--
_______ _____
|__ __| | ___|
Tim Fountain :-) / | | | |__ \ email: t...@markgf.demon.co.uk
------------------------< | | | __| >-----------------------------
New Acorn Games website \ | | | | / http://www.markgf.demon.co.uk
coming soon! |_| |_|

MoZes

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

In article <34E06D...@dai.ed.ac.uk>, Adrian Jackson

<URL:mailto:adr...@dai.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> MoZes wrote:
> > In article <na.6bc2a34815....@argonet.co.uk>, The Vicarage
> > <URL:mailto:back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > > I don't have that sort of reputation do I???
>
> > For annoying everyone, yes.
>
> Really? I'm personally a lot more annoyed by the fact that
> every time Tom tries to post anything, five or six people
> immediately follow up with oh-so-incredibly-amusing
> comments about his spelling, criticisms of a page they
> haven't even been to look at, and generally offensive
> remarks.

Obviously you have not been on IRC when he comes out with rubbish
about everybody should have ops, 'I've got iXRC so I can do a channel
takeover'.. and god knows what else.
There are a lot of others who can tell you the same, and more - and
perhaps even provide logs of how annoying he is.. and then he changes
nickname so that he tries to fool others into believeing he is
somebody else (which doesn't work).



> Tom seems genuinely interested in providing a service to
> other Acorn gamers, even if he's somewhat over-enthusiastic
> about it.

Good.


> Out of the ~50 posts to csag when I looked at my news
> today, two were from Tom. One was interesting and
> informative, the other slightly less so, but certainly
> no worse than the average level of debate here. In
> contrast there were 17 completely pointless posts picking
> at various aspects of his spelling with no new/interesting
> content in them at all.

Well, I don't actually go out of my way to pick at his spelling (as
that would be a bit hypocritical of me since mine isn't always that
hot either (although that doesn't mean I would go out of my way if it
was)), but he did ask if he had that sort of reputation - and I
replied, truthfully, to his question.

I have of course, read postings regarding his new escapades, and I
don't approve of all of the critisism, although, it does seem to me
that what he is writing (and/or doing) has not been fully thought
out. Although, since he is about 13 or 14 - you'd expect that (I
certainly didn't always think things through when I was that age).
But with the critisism he has gained (be it constructive or
destructive), it at least gives him some ideas of what to change.


> And if you're going to take the piss out of Tom's web
> site at least have the common decency to visit it first.

I think we all have at one time or another. I remember one of his
spelling mistakes on his site, which had the month of August: which
he spelt as 'Aughust' or something. Checking your news posts for
every spelling mistake isn't perhaps called for, but on your web
site.. I just thought to myself "what's going on?!"


cyl,
MoZes
--
Stuart Winter (change domain name to "@ccL4.org" to reply)
Web site - http://fish.ccL4.org/mozes/
MoZes on IRCnet, in channels: #acorn, #argonet


Acorn Arcade Webmaster

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

In article <na.66c1e64815....@argonet.co.uk>,

The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Acorn Arcade and us are all ready forging links.

hmm, this is sort of true...

though only in that I told tom on IRC that i'd consider perhaps possibly
maybe having links to each other's pages!

BFN
AliB

--
_________________________________
()____) )) http://www.argonet.co.uk/acornarcade

Gareth S. Long

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

In message <na.66c1e64815....@argonet.co.uk>
The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Well perhaps we needn't be sthe strictist of enemys?
>

> Acorn Arcade and us are all ready forging links.
>

> There may be some rivalry: We don't a long war etc.... Espiceally if its a


> short war cuase then someone must loose! :-(

> We don't want that!

"Drugs: Just Say No"

--
Gatch

Robin Wilson

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

In article <cd335e1648%ga...@elecslns.demon.co.uk>, Gareth S. Long
> Mmmm I can see why!

wK#m__
T ^^0
,.mmww__ _#L
~^^~"^"Ww, ag,gM_**- _#P
^^MW#WMWMWMWMWMww##P"
___ _#MWMWMWMWMM#PN^`
aw#W##_#B$F^"]""P \a
w_IWMWM#" ;` j
^^^^


Dylan Piergies

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

In article <4815d91...@zephryus.demon.co.uk>, David Robinson
<URL:mailto:da...@zephryus.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <na.f95f274815....@argonet.co.uk>,

> The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > The first meeting on #acorngaming went well!
>
> Out of interest, which IRC net hosts this gathering? Not noticed it on
> Undernet, so is it on Efnet ?
>
IRCnet.. but EFnet is better. I think we should move it to EFnet
Servers:
IRCnet: irc.demon.co.uk
irc.stealth.net
EFnet: efnet.demon.co.uk
irc.ais.net
--
Dylan Piergies - bjuice
bju...@argonet.co.uk
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/dylanp


Dylan Piergies

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

In article <ant091657868S5$W...@rai.ccl4.org>, MoZes
<URL:mailto:MoZes@read_sig_file_to_reply.org> wrote:
> In article <na.f95f274815....@argonet.co.uk>, The Vicarage
> <URL:mailto:back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > The first meeting on #acorngaming went well!
> >
> > The IRC room is for all Acorn game users and has a ops for all policy!
>
> I don't understand your obsession with ops. Ops are supposed to be
> given to users who know how IRC works properly, and can control a
> channel.
> ITs just plain sad when people ask for ops - or you post messages
> about giving ops to everybody. The idea of the channel is so that
> people can chat about games (in this instance), not say 'oh, I'm an

> operator, wow, I'm wonderful.'
>
>
> And you wonder why you keep getting banned from #acorn...
>
Exactly

David Robinson

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

In article <34E06D...@dai.ed.ac.uk>,
Adrian Jackson <adr...@dai.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> I think what I'm trying to say here is: grow up. Really.

> And if you're going to take the piss out of Tom's web
> site at least have the common decency to visit it first.

What makes you so certain that we haven't visited it ? I'd suggest, in
the nicest way possible, that if you want to make a point, you should
stick to facts about which you can be certain.

I've visited it several times. I even signed his quest book, and told him
what I thought about the layout and the blink tags.

Writing mail which is so heavily laiden with spelling errors,
typographical cock-ups and attrocious punctuation is not, IMHO,
appropriate when there are so many facilities available to him which would
make his mail readable.

To continue producing such poor work makes me think that he just doesn't
give a toss whether it annoys other readers. It's lazy, presents him in a
poor light and does nothing to enduce people to read his postings.

He postings can be arrogant, misleading and a pain in the neck ( personal
view ). I'm quite happy to keep asking him to fix his spelling until
either he fixes it, or gets fed up and goes away like he did last time.

My spelling and punctuation aren't perfect, but there's a big difference
between trying to get it right and just turning out any old crap and
expecting other people to put in the effort to read it. If he produced
stuff like this at school, I'd have him doing it again and again until he
bothered to use a dictionary.

I hope that didn't seem too rude, but since you were wondering why I seem
to pick him up all the time, I thought I'd better be honest in my explaination.

--
Cheers,

David

Marc Warne

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

In message <4815d91...@zephryus.demon.co.uk>
David Robinson <da...@zephryus.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <na.f95f274815....@argonet.co.uk>,


> The Vicarage <back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > The first meeting on #acorngaming went well!
>

> Out of interest, which IRC net hosts this gathering? Not noticed it on
> Undernet, so is it on Efnet ?

Nah - it's on IRCNet - such as irc.demon.co.uk

IRCNet rules...IRCNet rules...etc...

All the best,

Marc Warne
--
___________________________________________________
/ /\/\ \ e-mail: ma...@alphapro.demon.co.uk \-IRC #acorn meet-.
/ / /arc Warne \ http://www.alphapro.demon.co.uk/ \ 11th April \
/__________________\________________ Alpha Programming _\___&_#argonet____\


David Robinson

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

In message <ant1017390b0S5$W...@rai.ccl4.org>
MoZes <MoZes@read_sig_file_to_reply.org> wrote:

> In article <34E06D...@dai.ed.ac.uk>, Adrian Jackson

> <URL:mailto:adr...@dai.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> > MoZes wrote:

> > > In article <na.6bc2a34815....@argonet.co.uk>, The Vicarage


> > > <URL:mailto:back...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > > > I don't have that sort of reputation do I???
> >
> > > For annoying everyone, yes.
> >
> > Really? I'm personally a lot more annoyed by the fact that
> > every time Tom tries to post anything, five or six people
> > immediately follow up with oh-so-incredibly-amusing
> > comments about his spelling, criticisms of a page they
> > haven't even been to look at, and generally offensive
> > remarks.
>
> Obviously you have not been on IRC when he comes out with rubbish
> about everybody should have ops, 'I've got iXRC so I can do a channel
> takeover'.. and god knows what else.
> There are a lot of others who can tell you the same, and more - and
> perhaps even provide logs of how annoying he is.. and then he changes
> nickname so that he tries to fool others into believeing he is
> somebody else (which doesn't work).
>

Don't tell me, let me guess. His spelling gives him away every time?

--
____ _ _ ___ _ _
| _ \ __ ___ _(_)__| | | _ \___| |__(_)_ _ ___ ___ _ _
| |_) / _` \ V / / _` | | / _ \ '_ \ | ' \(_-</ _ \ ' \
|____/\__,_|\_/|_\__,_| |_|_\___/_.__/_|_||_/__/\___/_||_|
I used to be an airline pilot. I got fired because I kept locking the keys
in the plane. They caught me on an 80 foot stepladder with a coathanger.


The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

In article <4815d8d...@zephryus.demon.co.uk>, David Robinson

<da...@zephryus.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> So every game will eventually acquire an award? Doesn't that rather defeat
> the idea?

naah

Only games that are lost/forgoten like !Risk or utter brilance eg the Game
play of !Rail28. Or ppl. who ask us to release games like !ShPlouc

Many thanks,
A very valid point!

--
_____The Backwater ULTIMATE Acorn games scene site:-

The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

In article <4815e182b4...@argonet.co.uk>, Acorn Arcade Webmaster
<acorn...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks, and if you look again you'll see a lot more has started popping up
> now... there's interviews with Eddie Edwards and Martin Piper in the
> pipeline, we're now hosting the Bunny Race pages, the news/reviews bits
> are
> growing fast with work starting on commercial game reviews soon!

You will se interviews on our site too...
News/Reviews yes we have them!
Our competions are even chunky! A commercial game every two weeks to be won!

Regards,

The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98
to

In article <c05cd51548%gra...@greyhaven.demon.co.uk>, Graham Crockford

<gra...@greyhaven.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Please no-one be concerned, Tom's site is completely unconnected with
> Acorn
> Arcade, despite what he may be suggesting.

I'm suprised you suggested that!


Please, please Alib do turn this into one huge debate!

The Vicarage

unread,
Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98