what price acorn JAVA ?

1 view

David Courtney

Apr 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/20/98

Few weeks ago a posting here mentioned clan prices for java and browser,
but not the actual prices :-(
I've never joined the clan, as acorn using is clichey enough. ;-)
But I'll join in a second, if it's worth the discount.

I checked acorns site then; got very little,
search engined a bit and got little more.
And today read may's A.U.
but appart from indirect reference to a voucher with SR25+ nothing of use.

Questions, Presuming the clan can tell me, without then having to kill me!
<?>
How much is acorns JAVA.
Is it a good version; presuming it's ready to ship.
Any use, IE anyone written a non-text, non-shuffle-icons game in that spec.
Is any-body writing something in JAVA on an acorn.
What else is needed to develop for JAVA on an acorn. ( I know that little )
Is it's development team still at acorn ( Recent changes and all )
to keep the updates coming.
</?>

This is of course, dispite mentioning games, off-topic. Knowing the
alternatives, I feel, I'm more likely to get an anwser here. Anyway better
than cross-posting it, like the bloody A.H.C thread.

ON TOPIC BIT!
So I'll point out my chess variants now work on StrongArm, and have been
generally enhanced ( like they now work, ROFLS though embarrassed ).
Free version at my site. Classic and Tori are now in a single PackDir. 550k
And I'm getting ready to provide advanced skill levels for just three quid.

No this doesn't mean; I'm going to bug*er up my ickle site with JAVA.
Or I'm going to stop doing acorn specific stuff, like the elite-like thing
idea people quite liked. Just want to learn JAVA on an acorn, OKAY.

--
Toodle Pip,
David.A.Courtney

http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/kicking.fish/coffee.htm
Stories, Chess Games, And soon arcade fun with Boink.

Italia Connections

Apr 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/21/98

In article <na.7df27f4839.a7...@argonet.co.uk>, David Courtney

<kickin...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Few weeks ago a posting here mentioned clan prices for java and browser,
> but not the actual prices :-(
> I've never joined the clan, as acorn using is clichey enough. ;-)
> But I'll join in a second, if it's worth the discount.

When I joined, the benefit was a UKp 150 discount off the RPC :-)

> Questions, Presuming the clan can tell me, without then having to kill me!
> <?>
> How much is acorns JAVA.

The offer was for IIRC UKp 29.99 compared to a price to be set at UKp 39.99

> Is it a good version; presuming it's ready to ship.

Pass on this one, but the letter was very vaque, and stated that the above
payment would get the purchaser an upgrade to the BetaCD. Not sure if it's
yet another beta???

> [snip re: Java use - can't help ;-( ]
> ON TOPIC BIT!
> [snipped plug re: chess variants.]

The offer was also for !Browse update for the same price. My query re: them
being new Beta version is supported by my inf. that !Browse was only to be a
developement name.

HTH,
Bob

--
Bob Williams, Pensby, Wirral, UK ........ bob.wi...@no-spam.co.uk
** Laverda the sound that made Breganze famous ** (no-spam=argonet) **

Piers Wombwell

Apr 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/21/98

<URL:mailto:kickin...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Questions, Presuming the clan can tell me, without then having to kill me!
> <?>
> How much is acorns JAVA.
> Is it a good version; presuming it's ready to ship.

I think it's 40quid. It's 1.0.2, and (self) certified as Java Compatible(tm).
Neither Netscape or Microsoft have this classification.

> What else is needed to develop for JAVA on an acorn. ( I know that little )

Currently, guavac is probably the best solution. I've not tried it,
personally.

> Is it's development team still at acorn ( Recent changes and all )
> to keep the updates coming.
> </?>

yup.

> This is of course, dispite mentioning games, off-topic. Knowing the
> alternatives, I feel, I'm more likely to get an anwser here. Anyway better
> than cross-posting it, like the bloody A.H.C thread.

[snip]

> No this doesn't mean; I'm going to bug*er up my ickle site with JAVA.
> Or I'm going to stop doing acorn specific stuff, like the elite-like thing
> idea people quite liked. Just want to learn JAVA on an acorn, OKAY.

The Acorn Java plugin is purely a browser plugin. It is not a development
environment.

BTW, why's this in csa.games?

P.

David Courtney

Apr 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/21/98

In article <ant21142...@om308.acorn.co.uk>, Piers Wombwell

<pwom...@acorn.com> wrote:
> The Acorn Java plugin is purely a browser plugin. It is not a development
> environment.
>
> BTW, why's this in csa.games?

Because I wanted to know the details of a letter to the clan.
and C.S.A.G has probably got more programmers in it than any other NG.
Real question is why acorn release in such an obscure way.

And anyway quite a few gamers followed my little plug. :-))

Apparently c.s.a.misc is were most of acorn java is discussed,
Your comment about java being a browser plugin got me far more confused.
Just acorns browser, do I have to upload it before I can test stuff??*&??
I've got guavac, I'll read whatevers in that and try to work it out from
there. Thanks!

James Larcombe

Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98

In article <na.286621483a.a7...@argonet.co.uk> David Courtney
wrote:

> Because I wanted to know the details of a letter to the clan.
> and C.S.A.G has probably got more programmers in it than any other NG.

?!? What about c.s.a.programmer.... :-?

James Larcombe.

Anti-UCE address: jlarcombe at arcade dot demon period co period uk
Please translate this Anti-UCE address for private replies - thank you.
--
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ | Free Internet E-mail and Anti-UCE News |
| / \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \ | +44 181 654 2212 also +44 181 655 4412 |

Piers Wombwell

Apr 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/23/98

In article <na.286621483a.a7...@argonet.co.uk>, David Courtney

<URL:mailto:kickin...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <ant21142...@om308.acorn.co.uk>, Piers Wombwell
> <pwom...@acorn.com> wrote:
> > The Acorn Java plugin is purely a browser plugin. It is not a development
> > environment.
> >
> > BTW, why's this in csa.games?
>
> Because I wanted to know the details of a letter to the clan.
> and C.S.A.G has probably got more programmers in it than any other NG.

huh? What about .programmer? I rarely read this NG - just when a compile
is taking forever I skim through the subject headings.

> Real question is why acorn release in such an obscure way.

eh? Our licence covers a browser plugin only, if that's what you mean.

> And anyway quite a few gamers followed my little plug. :-))
>
> Apparently c.s.a.misc is were most of acorn java is discussed,
> Your comment about java being a browser plugin got me far more confused.
> Just acorns browser, do I have to upload it before I can test stuff??*&??

No - applets can be loaded from the harddisc - just double click on the
HTML file referring to them.

P.

David Courtney

Apr 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/23/98

In article <ant23115...@om308.acorn.co.uk>, Piers Wombwell

<pwom...@acorn.com> wrote:
> huh? What about .programmer? I rarely read this NG - just when a compile
> is taking forever I skim through the subject headings.

We get are NG in many different ways,,,more clan here than in .programmer.
And I really think speculation enquirys from people trying to find out
THE FIRST THING, shouldn't be JUMPED ON it was a tiny article.
Smaller than the comments telling me it was mis-posted.

I don't look at .programmer, I read an article slagging of someone
for mentioning a program that would be best done in ARM. And thought what
a bunch of gits .programmer are. // Flame - Real programmer write games //
The rest are human 4GL's. ( Joke, laugh damn you ) anyway thats a complement
perhaps I should say CASE.

and as said .misc is where previously most articles have been put about
JAVA; it should in hindsight of been there. Clearly the product in question
isn't a programming thing, so your wrong to say .programmer ;-)
( I don't mean that of course, and grew out of point scoring YEARS AGO )

And as I posted just before I went to sleep,
and got the price in a reply instantly in the morning, it basically worked.
Including the magic word guavac, I had a copy of that by early evening.
And now though I can't try it out; I need only a java enabled browser.
I'm told Fresco should be ready to use the JAVA virtual machine about
the same time I get the disc. So I'll wait a month before ordering.

Sorry if the comment ' acorn release in obscure ways ' caused offence,
I meant only to the clan, without any info on acorns web space.
It certainly wasn't a comment about the nature of software.
Which I clearly couldn't of known about unless I was in the clan or
working at acorn.
' Which of course is only to be expected of unfinshed software '

By the way can you still join the clan?

Alan Calder

Apr 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/26/98

I'm totally stuck on Doom 2, the episode entitled Icon of Sin.

This is the one where there are 4 platforms that can be made to rise and
fall and where the monsters are lobbed across a poisonous lake at you.

What on earth am I supposed to do here? Nothing I've tried makes any
difference to my eventual fate!

Assistance gratefully received.

Cheers

Alan

--
__ __ __ __ __ ___ _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/ \|\ ||_ | /
| || \\__/\__/| \||__ | /...Internet access for all Acorn RISC machines
___________________________/ broo...@argonet.co.uk

David Courtney

Apr 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/26/98

In article <na.71e819483c....@argonet.co.uk>, Alan Calder

<broo...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm totally stuck on Doom 2, the episode entitled Icon of Sin.
>
> This is the one where there are 4 platforms that can be made to rise and
> fall and where the monsters are lobbed across a poisonous lake at you.
>
> What on earth am I supposed to do here? Nothing I've tried makes any
> difference to my eventual fate!

Yeah! I spent ages tyring to kill everything here to no avail.

I played this on a PC ages ago, so appolgies if something has changed.
Basically there is a little square you have to hit. Just under where your
shots would go when standing at the top of the column elevator, next to
the icon. There's lots of raditation suits to allow you multiple drops to
the harmfull fluid below. Just shoot it on the way as you pop off. Don't
bother with any of the nasties unless they get in your face. But you need
to get the elevator on by hitting a switch at the top of the big stairs.

If should be quite easy on a low level. But the end sequence is so dull you
may just wonder why you bothered.

Stephen Crocker

Apr 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/26/98

Before being shot for writing article <na.71e819483c....@argonet.co.uk>, Alan Calder wrote:

> I'm totally stuck on Doom 2, the episode entitled Icon of Sin.
>
> This is the one where there are 4 platforms that can be made to rise and
> fall and where the monsters are lobbed across a poisonous lake at you.
>
> What on earth am I supposed to do here? Nothing I've tried makes any
> difference to my eventual fate!
>

> Assistance gratefully received.

1. Press the switch at the top of the platforms, which allows the one
in front of the face to rise to its full height. Get onto that and
fire rockets at the face, trying to get them into the swirly bit.

2. Type IDCLIP, go into the face and see John Romero's head. BLAST IT!

I've nevermanaged to do 1 without hacking into the executable to make
rockets faster!

--
x^ ( ) _________ // Email: mailto:cr...@crok.demon.co.uk
< U O |_|_|_|_|_| O || WWW: http://www.crok.demon.co.uk

Jim or Rob White

Apr 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/26/98

In article <na.13ed09483c.a7...@argonet.co.uk>, David Courtney

<kickin...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Don't
> bother with any of the nasties unless they get in your face.

I'd do the opposite of this, as the monsters can sometimes knock you off.

I wish this level was in the PSX version </Sigh>

Rob

The truth is out there.

Alex Holloway

Apr 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/26/98

In article <na.71e819483c....@argonet.co.uk>,

Alan Calder <broo...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm totally stuck on Doom 2, the episode entitled Icon of Sin.

> This is the one where there are 4 platforms that can be made to rise and
> fall and where the monsters are lobbed across a poisonous lake at you.

> What on earth am I supposed to do here? Nothing I've tried makes any
> difference to my eventual fate!

I've killed it. (on Hurt Me Plenty, that is, UltraViolence is tooooo haaard)

The big skull-creature on the wall, has an opening on its forehead where its
brain is exposed. (Looks like a sort of red letterbox, actually :)
Basically you have to feed rockets through the opening until it gets
artificially-induced senile dementia and dies. Easier said than done :-)

Assuming you can get the lift to work (the button right at the top activates
that) you need to go up on the lift and fire one rocket each time, when the
opening is bang in the centre of the screen, then jump off and re-begin.
Three or four hits should kill it. You can tell when you've scored a hit -
you won't see an explosion and you'll hear a strange noise.

The tricky part is not getting killed - it pays to be accurate (you'll want a
little practise, try easiest difficulty level first for this), and you'll
want the radiation suits! There's loads of energy cells available at the
start so when you're off the lift, use it as a shield and BFG the monsters!
(Rockets handy too). Make sure there aren't any Lost Souls (yuck) or
Arch-Viles (rare) around when you get onto the lift: the other monsters can't
harm you while you're going up, as they all miss!

Oh, and don't forget there's several Supercharges lying around the level and
also a Megasphere on the ledge below the skull, which you'll *definitely*
need! A quick trip to fetch one of these is also a good excuse to clean the
level up a little before going back down to the platform: always a good idea,
as it gets very dangerous when the place starts getting crowded.

Mouse control is also much better than keyboard control, as always, as it's
much easier to dodge monsters with it. I use the keyboard controls for
side-stepping and the mouse for everything else.

It's not as hard as people think it is.

Good Luck,

--
alex holloway
\\ //

Liam Gretton

Apr 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/27/98

In article <19980426....@crok.demon.co.uk>, Stephen Crocker

<URL:mailto:cr...@crok.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> 2. Type IDCLIP, go into the face and see John Romero's head. BLAST IT!

ISTR hearing that there's a Wolfenstein level hidden away in this level (or
at least the entrance to it). Any idea how to get there?

--
Liam Gretton
li...@binliner.demon.co.uk

Tim Fountain

Apr 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/27/98

In article <19980426....@crok.demon.co.uk>, Stephen Crocker
<URL:mailto:cr...@crok.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > I'm totally stuck on Doom 2, the episode entitled Icon of Sin.
> >
> > This is the one where there are 4 platforms that can be made to rise and
> > fall and where the monsters are lobbed across a poisonous lake at you.
> >
> > What on earth am I supposed to do here? Nothing I've tried makes any
> > difference to my eventual fate!
> >

> > Assistance gratefully received.
>
> 1. Press the switch at the top of the platforms, which allows the one
> in front of the face to rise to its full height. Get onto that and
> fire rockets at the face, trying to get them into the swirly bit.

Yep, as you go up on the platform, wait until the top part of your
rocket launcher is roughly touching John Romero's chin, and fire. You
have to get your rockets in the little rectangle. Repeat this process about
5 times.

(It's not very easy though, but it is possible).

> 2. Type IDCLIP, go into the face and see John Romero's head. BLAST IT!

Admittedly that way's a bit easier, but it's cheating!

--
_________________________________
()____) ))
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | http://www.acornarcade.com
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ |
| the acorn games paradise | Tim Fountain (Assistant News/Features)
|__________________________|

Tim Fountain

Apr 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/27/98

In article <ant27051...@binliner.demon.co.uk>, Liam Gretton

<URL:mailto:li...@binliner.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <19980426....@crok.demon.co.uk>, Stephen Crocker
> <URL:mailto:cr...@crok.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > 2. Type IDCLIP, go into the face and see John Romero's head. BLAST IT!
>
> ISTR hearing that there's a Wolfenstein level hidden away in this level (or
> at least the entrance to it). Any idea how to get there?

The easiest way is type IDCLEV31. I think you can get on to the Wolfie
level somehow, but I don't think it's from Level 30.

Then of course there's the secret level after that one, but I can't get on
it, everytime I try, the game crashes :-(.

TTFN, Tim.

Stephen Crocker

Apr 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/27/98

Before being shot for writing article <ant27051...@binliner.demon.co.uk>, Liam Gretton wrote:

> In article <19980426....@crok.demon.co.uk>, Stephen Crocker
> <URL:mailto:cr...@crok.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > 2. Type IDCLIP, go into the face and see John Romero's head. BLAST IT!
>
> ISTR hearing that there's a Wolfenstein level hidden away in this level (or
> at least the entrance to it). Any idea how to get there?

No, that's another level. Type IDCLEV31 to get to the first. You can
play that to get to the second or type IDCLEV32 to go straight there.

--
x^ ( ) _________ // Email: mailto:cr...@crok.demon.co.uk
< U O |_|_|_|_|_| O || WWW: http://www.crok.demon.co.uk
\, |/|\ _________ [ ]
. |/^\ . 2 . /__\

... The ultimate mail reader is here!!!!

Jim or Rob White

Apr 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/27/98

In article <ant27051...@binliner.demon.co.uk>, Liam Gretton

<li...@binliner.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> ISTR hearing that there's a Wolfenstein level hidden away in this level
> (or
> at least the entrance to it). Any idea how to get there?

Nope, that's level 15 (IIRC Undustrial Zone?).

Rob

Trust no one.

Acorn Arcade

Apr 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/28/98

In message <19980427....@crok.demon.co.uk>
cr...@crok.demon.co.uk (Stephen Crocker) wrote:

> Liam Gretton wrote:
>
> > In article <19980426....@crok.demon.co.uk>, Stephen Crocker
> > <URL:mailto:cr...@crok.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > > 2. Type IDCLIP, go into the face and see John Romero's head. BLAST IT!
> >

> > ISTR hearing that there's a Wolfenstein level hidden away in this level (or
> > at least the entrance to it). Any idea how to get there?
>

> No, that's another level. Type IDCLEV31 to get to the first. You can
> play that to get to the second or type IDCLEV32 to go straight there.

Forget that. Everyone knows IDCLEV. We want to know how to actually
GET TO the super-secret level. It's in the FAQs but I can't be bothered to
dig them out of the depths of my bulging PC partition...

_________________________________
()____) ))
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | http://www.acornarcade.com
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ |

| the acorn games paradise | Graham Crockford (Designer/Artist)
|__________________________|

Tim Fountain

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

In article <237ffa3d48%webm...@greyhaven.demon.co.uk>, Acorn Arcade
<URL:mailto:gra...@acornarcade.com> wrote:

> > > ISTR hearing that there's a Wolfenstein level hidden away in this
> > > level (or at least the entrance to it). Any idea how to get there?
> >
> > No, that's another level. Type IDCLEV31 to get to the first. You can
> > play that to get to the second or type IDCLEV32 to go straight there.
>
> Forget that. Everyone knows IDCLEV. We want to know how to actually
> GET TO the super-secret level. It's in the FAQs but I can't be bothered to
> dig them out of the depths of my bulging PC partition...

Ahh, that's easy :-). Do the Wolfenstein level (IDCLEV31) as normal, but
when you get to the room with the lift in, on your right as you go in,
there's a secret passage. The lift to the secret level is in there.

From that point on I can't help you though, as at that point, my copy of
Doom crashes (every time) :-(.

Hope this helps,

Tim.

--
_________________________________
()____) ))
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | http://www.acornarcade.com
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ |

T.A.Bo...@student.lboro.ac.uk

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

Acorn Arcade (Graham) <gra...@acornarcade.com> wrote:
>In message <19980427....@crok.demon.co.uk>
> cr...@crok.demon.co.uk (Stephen Crocker) wrote:
>
>> Liam Gretton wrote:

>> > ISTR hearing that there's a Wolfenstein level hidden away in this level (or
>> > at least the entrance to it). Any idea how to get there?
>>
>> No, that's another level. Type IDCLEV31 to get to the first. You can
>> play that to get to the second or type IDCLEV32 to go straight there.
>
>Forget that. Everyone knows IDCLEV. We want to know how to actually
>GET TO the super-secret level. It's in the FAQs but I can't be bothered to
>dig them out of the depths of my bulging PC partition...

The secret exit from the first wolfenstien level is still there and takes you
to the super secret level.

(i.e. the wall to the (left?) of the exit opens and there is another exit
through there.

I cant help you on getting to the first secret level tho, canna remember it.

Tim

R Fred Williams

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

In article <6i79d2$j...@sun-cc204.lboro.ac.uk>,

T.A.Bo...@student.lboro.ac.uk wrote:
>In article <237ffa3d48%webm...@greyhaven.demon.co.uk>,
>Acorn Arcade (Graham) <gra...@acornarcade.com> wrote:
>> Forget that. Everyone knows IDCLEV. We want to know how to actually
>> GET TO the super-secret level. It's in the FAQs but I can't be bothered
>> to dig them out of the depths of my bulging PC partition...
[...]

> I cant help you on getting to the first secret level tho, canna remember
> it.

Cue appalling Ascii art map of level 15, south end....

############ (tower with BFG & ####
#######(TP)# Yellow Key in) ####
########->## ####
################ Run off ########### secretty
##L#A#V#A####### here V ##L#A#V#A###||door #
#####################################||opened by####
####################switch##########_ <- switch####
Yello ######for-> ### \___ #######
__=door=___ ############### yello|| | ##(O)##
# \ \ door|| | Invuln,which
## \ \______________________/ | | triggers lev31
### | | | door to open.
### | "normal"