HommII

JohnPBain

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
Hi,

It's my birthday very soon! (FX: Very little applause what so ever)
I've decided to get HOMM2 but I'm confused. As I understand it, New World
Computing and Ubisoft released HOMM 1-7 and have now re-released HOMM 3. The
question is, is HOMM 3 a straight re-release with no modifications or is it
enhanced. Also, why the heck does the demo need a 166, 32mb of ram, 100mb of
disk space and 4mb of VRAM? I know this doesn't seem very relevant but I'm
trying to judge just how amazingly cool HOMM 2 is compared to HOMM 3. This
doesn't really matter either because there's dragons in HOMM 2 and that's
enough to keep me happy. Shame about the lack of an alliance system though,
I suppose I could threaten to beat somebody else how's playing hotseat up if
they don't stop attacking me. Incedently, do you think it would be a good
idea to incorporate a multiplayer internet support system into Exodus? I've
thought about this and for a more flexible communications system you could
basically haggle out the terms in a chat window and then there could be
options to transfer money or army units across to the other players. That
would give a great deal of flexibility to the game instead of saying things
like pay 20mc and I'll retreat, you could ask for less or more. If Artex is
interested then please do it. I'd pay serious cash for an upgrade like that,
well, a reasonable amount :).

John.

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday...... et al.

--
| This is what I think of being a teenager
| | Bain :-) :-( :-D :-p |:-/ :-{ :-@ :-o :->
---- >:-> :^) Confused? You will be.
For more smilies like this, see my guide at...
http://www.cybernexus.demon.co.uk/jpb

Tomislav Simnett

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
<SNIP>

>Incedently, do you think it would be a good
>idea to incorporate a multiplayer internet support system into Exodus? I've
>thought about this and for a more flexible communications system you could
>basically haggle out the terms in a chat window and then there could be
>options to transfer money or army units across to the other players. That
>would give a great deal of flexibility to the game instead of saying things
>like pay 20mc and I'll retreat, you could ask for less or more. If Artex is
>interested then please do it. I'd pay serious cash for an upgrade like that,
>well, a reasonable amount :).
</SNIP>
I agree....would be a major advantage, and maybe even for multiplayer
games on single machines, that the other players /negotiate/ a price,
rather than the computer dishing out random prices. I would also pay for
this.

PS. Happy Birthday John.
--
Tomislav Simnett - Can someone open their eyes? I can't see what's going on
http://surf.to/tomislav

Tim Fountain

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:41:42 BST, JohnPBain <Bol...@argonet.co.uk>
wrote:

> I've decided to get HOMM2 but I'm confused. As I understand it, New
> World Computing and Ubisoft released HOMM 1-7 and have now
> re-released HOMM 3.

I think you're confusing the 'Heroes of Might and Magic' series with
the 'Might and Magic' series. They are by the same company, but are
different sets of games. 'Heroes of Might and Magic II' is what we've
got, and the latest game in that series is 'Heroes of Might and Magic
III', which was released for the PC quite recently (March IIRC). The
latest game in the 'Might and Magic' series is 'Might and Magic VII'.

I don't know too much about the Might and Magic series so I could be
wrong on this btw.

> The question is, is HOMM 3 a straight re-release with no
> modifications or is it enhanced. Also, why the heck does the demo
> need a 166, 32mb of ram, 100mb of disk space and 4mb of VRAM? I know
> this doesn't seem very relevant but I'm trying to judge just how
> amazingly cool HOMM 2 is compared to HOMM 3.

The main improvement in HoMM3 is the graphics, but there are also more
hereo classes, and a few other things.

> Incedently, do you think it would be a good idea to incorporate a
> multiplayer internet support system into Exodus? I've thought about
> this and for a more flexible communications system you could
> basically haggle out the terms in a chat window and then there could
> be options to transfer money or army units across to the other
> players. That would give a great deal of flexibility to the game
> instead of saying things like pay 20mc and I'll retreat, you could ask
> for less or more. If Artex is interested then please do it. I'd pay
> serious cash for an upgrade like that, well, a reasonable amount :).

It's not worth the bother. The number of people who would actually
use it is low, but it'd take quite a long time to implement. Artex
are a little busy right now anyway.

--
Tim Fountain (t...@markgf.demon.co.uk)
http://www.markgf.demon.co.uk/

Adam Duncan

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
In article <na.e3b6f54913....@argonet.co.uk>,
JohnPBain <Bol...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,

> It's my birthday very soon! (FX: Very little applause what so ever)

> I've decided to get HOMM2 but I'm confused. As I understand it, New World
> Computing and Ubisoft released HOMM 1-7 and have now re-released HOMM 3.

No they've released Might and Magic 1-7 (they're a series of RPGs not
strategy games) but only HOMM 1-3.

The
> question is, is HOMM 3 a straight re-release with no modifications or is it
> enhanced. Also, why the heck does the demo need a 166, 32mb of ram, 100mb of
> disk space and 4mb of VRAM? I know this doesn't seem very relevant but

I can't answer that although It does occasionally run slowly even on my
AMD K-6 2 300 with a 16Mb Voodoo Banshee and 64mb of ram although that is
only when you have XL maps with lots of players on.

I'm

> trying to judge just how amazingly cool HOMM 2 is compared to HOMM 3. This
> doesn't really matter either because there's dragons in HOMM 2 and that's
> enough to keep me happy. Shame about the lack of an alliance system though,

HOMM 3 has an alliance system but it isn't that brilliant. You can't forge
new alliances in-game (they have to be pre-set in the single player
scenerios) and the AI isn't too good. You can send each other gifts thou.
which is nice.

> I suppose I could threaten to beat somebody else how's playing hotseat up if

> they don't stop attacking me. Incedently, do you think it would be a good

> idea to incorporate a multiplayer internet support system into Exodus?

I doubt it'll happen but it's a nice idea :)

> Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday...... et al.

Happy birthday.

Bye.
...Adam...

dgs

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
In article <na.e3b6f54913....@argonet.co.uk>,
JohnPBain <Bol...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> This doesn't really matter either because there's dragons in HOMM 2
> and that's enough to keep me happy.

Green, red, black, and bone dragons, to be precise. And other
even more fun creatures as well.

> Shame about the lack of an alliance system though,

Some of the scenarios in HOMM2 are "alliance" scenarios, where you're
supposed to play as a team to win (and can play in an alliance with
a human friend - or enemy). This might not be quite what you mean
though - it's not an especially complex system, although it can get
quite interesting.

Otherwise, the game is brilliant, although I think I've said that
before :-)

--
"There exists a fallback solution which is not discussed in public for
obvious reasons." - Andrew Gierth.

Manchester Acorn User Group - http://www.acorn.manchester.ac.uk/
RPC x86 Card Info Pages - http://acorn.cybervillage.co.uk/pccard/

Owen Griffin

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99

> Some of the scenarios in HOMM2 are "alliance" scenarios, where you're
> supposed to play as a team to win (and can play in an alliance with
> a human friend - or enemy). This might not be quite what you mean
> though - it's not an especially complex system, although it can get
> quite interesting.

I don't like the alliances in HOMMII. I find the only use for them is
getting their mines and castles without them attacking you too badly.

> Otherwise, the game is brilliant, although I think I've said that
> before :-)

Agreed

When is the Expansion pack for HOMMII comming out for the Acorn? Ive
heard about it in Acorn User but havent seen it. (Or am I dreaming)

--
Owen Griffin
www.geocities.com/timessquare/Cavern/9406

Chesney

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
In message <ant19093...@radstock.rmplc.co.uk>
Owen Griffin <owen_g...@geocities.com> wrote:
[snip]

> When is the Expansion pack for HOMMII comming out for the Acorn? Ive
> heard about it in Acorn User but havent seen it. (Or am I dreaming)

I think it was released at Wakefield, so it should be available from RCI or
from your local dealer.

Chesney

--
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw a lot of rubbish
into it. - William A. Orton

Tim Fountain

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
In article <0df498144...@habbershaw.argonet.co.uk>,

Chesney <habbe...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <ant19093...@radstock.rmplc.co.uk>
> Owen Griffin <owen_g...@geocities.com> wrote:
> [snip]

> > When is the Expansion pack for HOMMII comming out for the Acorn? Ive
> > heard about it in Acorn User but havent seen it. (Or am I dreaming)

> I think it was released at Wakefield, so it should be available from RCI
> or from your local dealer.

It wasn't, so it isn't. I'm not quite sure if/when it'll become
available. We're trying to find out for the AA preview at the moment, so
watch the site.

--
Tim Fountain (t...@acornarcade.com)
Editor, Acorn Arcade (www.acornarcade.com).

Chesney

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
In message <49149e...@markgf.demon.co.uk>
Tim Fountain <t...@markgf.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <0df498144...@habbershaw.argonet.co.uk>,
> Chesney <habbe...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > In message <ant19093...@radstock.rmplc.co.uk>
> > Owen Griffin <owen_g...@geocities.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
>
> > > When is the Expansion pack for HOMMII comming out for the Acorn? Ive
> > > heard about it in Acorn User but havent seen it. (Or am I dreaming)
>
> > I think it was released at Wakefield, so it should be available from RCI
> > or from your local dealer.
>
> It wasn't, so it isn't. I'm not quite sure if/when it'll become
> available. We're trying to find out for the AA preview at the moment, so
> watch the site.

Oops! Looks like my memory has failed already. And I'm only 23 :-(

Keith Mckillop

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
In message <491431ca6d...@wibble100.freeserve.co.uk>, Adam Duncan
wrote:

> In article <na.e3b6f54913....@argonet.co.uk>,
> JohnPBain <Bol...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

>> I suppose I could threaten to beat somebody else how's playing hotseat up
>> if they don't stop attacking me. Incedently, do you think it would be a
>> good idea to incorporate a multiplayer internet support system into
>> Exodus?

> I doubt it'll happen but it's a nice idea :)

If enough people are interested then it may actually happen!

Keith

--
* Wot? Not even... Wensleydale?
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ | Free Internet E-mail and Usenet News |

Keith Mckillop

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
In message <na.e3b6f54913....@argonet.co.uk>, JohnPBain wrote:

[snip]

> Incedently, do you think it would be a good idea to incorporate a
> multiplayer internet support system into Exodus? I've thought about this
> and for a more flexible communications system you could basically haggle
> out the terms in a chat window and then there could be options to
> transfer money or army units across to the other players. That would give
> a great deal of flexibility to the game instead of saying things like pay
> 20mc and I'll retreat, you could ask for less or more. If Artex is
> interested then please do it. I'd pay serious cash for an upgrade like
> that, well, a reasonable amount :).

<fx: thinks about it>

Well, my exams are coming to an end... but I've got lots of 'other' work to
do. But that work may interest you :)

The thing is, Exodus is a turn based game, so actually...

<fx: stares into the infinite for inspiration>

> Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday...... et al.

Oh, Happy Birthday! :)

And Happy Birthday to Warnesly too! :)

Duncan Family

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99

> > I doubt it'll happen but it's a nice idea :)
>
> If enough people are interested then it may actually happen!

I hope there is, although I'm not entirely sure whether I'd buy it or not.
I really liked Exodus when I first got it (and still do) but I don't buy
many games nowadays and I don't often play multiplayer. The last Acorn
game I bought was Syndicate+ and the only PC game I've ever bought is
HOMM3. The only other game that I'm considering getting is Aliens Vs
Predator and that is only really because I'm a sci-fi/fantasy fan and I
loved the Alien films (well, I loved the first two, after that they did go
down hill a bit) and graphic novels. Anyway, I might buy an upgrade for
Exodus, then again I might not. I'm not really sure.

Bye.
...Adam...

R-Comp Interactive

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99

> > It wasn't, so it isn't. I'm not quite sure if/when it'll become
> > available. We're trying to find out for the AA preview at the moment, so
> > watch the site.
>
> Oops! Looks like my memory has failed already. And I'm only 23 :-(

We've been waiting for the price through from 3DO US fr months. I sent an
"official order" for the product a couple of weeks ago "regardless of price".
Even that has only triggered a "I will get back to you with a price" message.
Cool.

The current HoMM2 executable plays the expansion pack, but needs additional
gfx which we would need to release on a "support disc" with the packs.

To be fair, 3DO have released Requiem, Army Men 2, HoMM3 and MM7, High Heat 2000
and something else in a period of about 6 weeks, so are probably swamped ATM.

--
R-Comp Interactive
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS

R-Comp Interactive

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99

> I think you're confusing the 'Heroes of Might and Magic' series with
> the 'Might and Magic' series. They are by the same company, but are
> different sets of games. 'Heroes of Might and Magic II' is what we've
> got, and the latest game in that series is 'Heroes of Might and Magic
> III', which was released for the PC quite recently (March IIRC). The
> latest game in the 'Might and Magic' series is 'Might and Magic VII'.
>
> I don't know too much about the Might and Magic series so I could be
> wrong on this btw.

Nope. You're spot on. Glad to see you've been paying attention. I
think MM7 ships in the UK this week. It was out 3 weeks ago in the US :-<
Unfortunately I still haven't finished Baldur's Gate, so I may not buy
MM7 on its day of release. Which would be sacrilage.

> The main improvement in HoMM3 is the graphics, but there are also more
> hereo classes, and a few other things.

HoMM3 is generally "more of the same". It's not a huge improvement, but
when I play a multiplayer game with Allan, we now tend to go for HoMM3.
Although the alliance options (download the patch) have something to do
with this. On the other hand. Allan still sticks to Acorn HoMM 2 when
he plays it of an evening ;->

Jon

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
In article <49151657...@wibble100.freeserve.co.uk>,
Duncan Family <wib...@wibble100.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> The only other game that I'm considering getting is Aliens Vs
> Predator

Don't bother - it's not very good a all.
Get Half - Life.
Jon.

--
_________________________________
()____) )) http://www.acornarcade.com
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | ICQ 21129860
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ | Jon Hall (S/A Reviews)
| the acorn games paradise | The highly moral father
|__________________________| figure of the team

dgs

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
In article <491526...@argonet.co.uk>,
Jon <J...@acornarcade.com> wrote:

> Get Half - Life.

I don't think this is available for Acorn machines!

--
d...@argonet.co.uk

Jon

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
In article <49152f...@argonet.co.uk>,

dgs <d...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <491526...@argonet.co.uk>,
> Jon <J...@acornarcade.com> wrote:

> > Get Half - Life.

> I don't think this is available for Acorn machines!

Nor is 'Aliens vs Predator'
He was talking PeeCee.

Adam Duncan

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99

> > The only other game that I'm considering getting is Aliens Vs
> > Predator

> Don't bother - it's not very good a all.

Fair enough, I'll stick to reading graphic novels and watching the films.

> Get Half - Life.

I've got it, except I didn't buy it. I've also got Unreal, I didn't buy
that either. They both belong to my brother.

Bye.
...Adam...

Adam Duncan

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
In article <49152b...@argonet.co.uk>,

Jon <J...@acornarcade.com> wrote:
> In article <49152f...@argonet.co.uk>,
> dgs <d...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <491526...@argonet.co.uk>,
> > Jon <J...@acornarcade.com> wrote:

> > > Get Half - Life.

> > I don't think this is available for Acorn machines!

> Nor is 'Aliens vs Predator'
> He was talking PeeCee.

Yeah, sorry about that. It was a bit off-topic.

Bye.
...Adam...

JohnPBain

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
In article <048d1f1...@arsvcs.demon.co.uk>, R-Comp Interactive (RCI) >

Nope. You're spot on. Glad to see you've been paying attention. I
> think MM7 ships in the UK this week. It was out 3 weeks ago in the US :-<
> Unfortunately I still haven't finished Baldur's Gate, so I may not buy
> MM7 on its day of release. Which would be sacrilage.

Ah. That would explain a bit. Sorry all. Baldur's Gate is unbelievably
addictive isn't it. Why don't you convert that :) (thinks of enormous
license fees).

> HoMM3 is generally "more of the same". It's not a huge improvement, but
> when I play a multiplayer game with Allan, we now tend to go for HoMM3.
> Although the alliance options (download the patch) have something to do
> with this. On the other hand. Allan still sticks to Acorn HoMM 2 when
> he plays it of an evening ;->

My impression of HOMM2 is just getting better and better. I can't wait to
get it. By the way, do the map files in pc format work on an acorn? It's
just Astralwizard.com has many great maps. Anybody who likes HOMM2 should
visit that site as it's great. Anyway, I'll just have to dream about it
until the 8th of July comes round. :(.

John.

Mark

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Tomislav Simnett <Tomi...@slimjim99.freeserve.co.uk> was let out long
enough to write:

> <SNIP>

> >Incedently, do you think it would be a good
> >idea to incorporate a multiplayer internet support system into Exodus? I've
> >thought about this and for a more flexible communications system you could
> >basically haggle out the terms in a chat window and then there could be
> >options to transfer money or army units across to the other players. That
> >would give a great deal of flexibility to the game instead of saying things
> >like pay 20mc and I'll retreat, you could ask for less or more. If Artex is
> >interested then please do it. I'd pay serious cash for an upgrade like that,
> >well, a reasonable amount :).

> </SNIP>
> I agree....would be a major advantage, and maybe even for multiplayer
> games on single machines, that the other players /negotiate/ a price,
> rather than the computer dishing out random prices. I would also pay for
> this.
>
> PS. Happy Birthday John.

This is spooky, I was thinking of something like this this very
afternoon in my chemistry extention exam. This point hadn't acutally
occured to me but what I was considering was a e-mail turn type game.
Whereby You play one turn then at the end of your turn a file is
compiled and placed in your outgoing mail to your opponet. When they
collect their mail they get the info and play their turn. A copy of this
is then mailed to you etc. I can see it being very long (at one turn a
day about a year a game i'd say, a bit less maybe) This would save your
phone bill from being any higher than it already is. And now I consider
it, with some careful planning and organisation a reasonably large
number of players could compete.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Mark.

--
You only get *B*est *S*oftware *E*ver from Mad Cow Software
Apoclaypse - Cross-platfrom games programming with ease. - Coming to a
>>I'd love to, but I've got a Friends of Rutabaga meeting.

Rik Griffin

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
In message <559ecb1549%Ma...@freeserve.co.uk>
Mark <Ma...@madsoft.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Tomislav Simnett <Tomi...@slimjim99.freeserve.co.uk> was let out long
>enough to write:
>
>> <SNIP>
> > > Incedently, do you think it would be a good idea to incorporate a
> > > multiplayer internet support system into Exodus?

>> </SNIP>
>> I agree....would be a major advantage, and maybe even for multiplayer
>> games on single machines, that the other players /negotiate/ a price,
>> rather than the computer dishing out random prices. I would also pay for
>> this.
>

> This is spooky, I was thinking of something like this this very afternoon
> in my chemistry extention exam. This point hadn't acutally occured to me
> but what I was considering was a e-mail turn type game. Whereby You play
> one turn then at the end of your turn a file is compiled and placed in your
> outgoing mail to your opponet. When they collect their mail they get the
> info and play their turn.

A very similar system is used by the DOS game "VGAPlanets". This is a game
similar in vein to Exodus, less sophiticated in some ways, more in other. I
personally prefer Planets, but haven't played it for years.

AFAIR it runs perfectly on a 486SX PC card in a Risc PC.

--
"This moment hangs, like your ragged hair."
Celebrate - Fields of the Nephilim