Tooltips

Dave

Aug 5, 2022, 4:05:41 PM8/5/22
Good evening folks.

I was using OvPro for MS-Windows earlier and couldn't remember which of
three icons on my tool bar was the one I wanted, so as per usual Win side
I just hovered the mouse over the icons and a tooltip informed me in turn
what they were.

Later back on the RISC OS side, again using OvPro and other apps, I
wondered have there ever (Nb.) been any RISC OS apps that incorporated
tooltips?

Thanks
Dave

Nb: The only one I know of is 'WebWonder' which has a status bar at the
bottom of the window detailing the tool button the mouse pointer is over.

D.

--

Dave Triffid

Paul Sprangers

Aug 5, 2022, 4:36:35 PM8/5/22
In article <5a135c4...@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> I wondered have there ever (Nb.) been any RISC OS apps that incorporated
> tooltips?

RISC OS has interactive help, which often does a more comprehensive job
than tooltips. But you have to activate it manually. My favourite is
BubbleHelp, by the way.

Paul

--
https://riscos.sprie.nl

Chris Newman

Aug 5, 2022, 5:41:32 PM8/5/22
In article <5a135f2...@sprie.nl>,
I use Steve Fryatt's !Float. I used to use Bubble Help but changed for
somereason I cannot now remember. I think it was to do withworking better
on Virtual Acorn.

--
Chris Newman

Dave

Aug 6, 2022, 5:25:09 AM8/6/22
In article <5a135f2...@sprie.nl>,
Paul Sprangers <Pa...@sprie.nl> wrote:
No, no! Having a multi sentence dialogue open whenever... is not conducive
to effective working or sanity. :-(

I only want toolbar button tips, and I want a Tooltip that does the job in
a couple of words.

I used to use BubbleHelp, but I have a vague recollection it wouldn't work
with RISC OS 6.

Dave

Anyone have a link to download Bubblehelp?

Thanks
D.

--

Dave Triffid

Dave

Aug 6, 2022, 5:29:29 AM8/6/22
On 06 Aug, da...@triffid.co.uk wrote:

[Snippy]
> Anyone have a link to download Bubblehelp?

> Thanks
> D.

Don't bother.
I found it on Paul Vigays site and it doesn't work on RISC OS 6.20

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Paul Sprangers

Aug 6, 2022, 6:10:18 AM8/6/22
In article <5a13a4f...@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> No, no! Having a multi sentence dialogue open whenever... is not
> conducive to effective working or sanity. :-(

Well, you can always switch if off with a single click on the iconbar icon.
But I agree, tooltips and interactive help are two different species.

> Anyone have a link to download Bubblehelp?
http://www.vigay.com/thirdparty/index.html

Whether it will work on RISC OS 6 is unsure. It doesn't even fully work on
RISC OS 5 on my Pi4: clicking Choices produces an error, for example.
That's a pity, since BubbleHelp used to be the most configurable one of all
its competitors.

Paul

--
https://riscos.sprie.nl

Chris Hughes

Aug 6, 2022, 7:29:51 AM8/6/22
In message <5a13a4f...@triffid.co.uk>
Dave <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <5a135f2...@sprie.nl>,
> Paul Sprangers <Pa...@sprie.nl> wrote:
>> In article <5a135c4...@triffid.co.uk>,
>> Dave <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I wondered have there ever (Nb.) been any RISC OS apps that
>>> incorporated tooltips?

>> RISC OS has interactive help, which often does a more comprehensive job
>> than tooltips. But you have to activate it manually. My favourite is
>> BubbleHelp, by the way.

>> Paul

> No, no! Having a multi sentence dialogue open whenever... is not conducive
> to effective working or sanity. :-(

> I only want toolbar button tips, and I want a Tooltip that does the job in
> a couple of words.

Well Fireworkz and messenegr pro seem to have tool tips.

It seems it per app basis. ask the programmers.

--
Chris Hughes

Steve Fryatt

Aug 6, 2022, 7:55:03 AM8/6/22
On 6 Aug, Chris Hughes wrote in message
<f821b0135a.chris@mytardis>:

> Well Fireworkz and messenegr pro seem to have tool tips.
>
> It seems it per app basis. ask the programmers.

RISC OS has no support for tooltips. If an application includes them, then
either it's using a library to do it, or its developer has invented their
own wheel from scratch.

Interactive Help is system-wide, and probably the best way to go as it gives
a standard behaviour to users across all applications.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Dave

Aug 6, 2022, 1:54:37 PM8/6/22
In article <f821b0135a.chris@mytardis>,
Chris Hughes <new...@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> Well Fireworkz and messenger pro seem to have tool tips.

> It seems it per app basis. ask the programmers.

I can only comment on Fireworkz as I don't have the other...

It's not really tooltips, more akin to the usual Acorn !Help constrained
to a status bar...

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Dave

Aug 6, 2022, 1:54:37 PM8/6/22
In article <5a13a9a...@sprie.nl>,
Paul Sprangers <Pa...@sprie.nl> wrote:
> In article <5a13a4f...@triffid.co.uk>,
> Dave <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> > Anyone have a link to download Bubblehelp?
> http://www.vigay.com/thirdparty/index.html

> Whether it will work on RISC OS 6 is unsure. It doesn't even fully work
> on RISC OS 5 on my Pi4: clicking Choices produces an error, for example.
> That's a pity, since BubbleHelp used to be the most configurable one of
> all its competitors.

> Paul

As I posted earlier (10:29 AM), it doesn't work on RISC OS 6.20.

Dave

Anyway... Tooltips on RISC OS, just an idle thought. :-)

--

Dave Triffid