Video Conversion

7 views
Skip to first unread message

Hedley Hunnisett

unread,
Nov 8, 2010, 1:46:31 PM11/8/10
to
I must express my thanks to John Robinson (hope he reads this newsgroup)
for his article 'Video Processing on RISC OS', which I found on the
Icon Bar.

My son in Australia had sent me an AVI video which of course I could not
run. After finding John's article, downloading the software and
following his instructions, I was able to convert the video to MPEG and
run it successfully.

Many thanks

--
Hedley Hunnisett of Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.
Sent from a StrongARM RiscPC running RISC OS 4.39.

castlevarich

unread,
Nov 13, 2010, 7:17:38 AM11/13/10
to
On Nov 8, 6:46 pm, hedl...@arcade.demon.co.uk (Hedley Hunnisett)
wrote:

Dear Hedley

I'm glad it worked for you.

However, KinoAmp can already play some AVIs without having to convert
them.

With a new AVI, it's always worth just loading KinoAmp and double
clicking on the AVI to see what happens.

Behind the scenes I know that somebody is already looking at the
possibility of using the FFMpeg codecs to create a kind of Media
Player for RISC OS, but it will require a much beefier machine than a
RiscPC to be able to do it in realtime.

One good reason to start saving up for one of the new A9
machines !!!!!

Incidentally, for Mr Togneri who thought the original article was
pretty much a waste of time, the original Iconbar bar article will be
useful to people using FFMPeg on Windows and Linix, not just RISC OS.
Where's your community spirit ????

Also, if anybody has any old educational educational CDs for RISC OS
from Sherston software, would you leave a message on the newsgroups
saying what you've got.

I'm trying to hunt down the few remaining copies of some late 90s
educational titles like the Crystal Forest version 2.

Jon Robinson (Leeds)

Matthew Phillips

unread,
Nov 14, 2010, 3:10:25 AM11/14/10
to
In message <aaf0440b-1974-4cd6...@u25g2000pra.googlegroups.com>

on 13 Nov 2010 castlevarich wrote:

> Behind the scenes I know that somebody is already looking at the
> possibility of using the FFMpeg codecs to create a kind of Media Player for
> RISC OS, but it will require a much beefier machine than a RiscPC to be
> able to do it in realtime.
>
> One good reason to start saving up for one of the new A9
> machines !!!!!

They're not exactly new now! I think you're more likely to see software like
this becoming available for a BeagleBoard-derived computer, though as far as
I know no-one is working on it.

> Also, if anybody has any old educational educational CDs for RISC OS from
> Sherston software, would you leave a message on the newsgroups saying what
> you've got.

It might be better to send this as a separate posting as people may miss it
in this thread on video conversion.

--
Matthew Phillips
Durham

Martin Bazley

unread,
Nov 15, 2010, 4:43:27 PM11/15/10
to
The following bytes were arranged on 14 Nov 2010 by Matthew Phillips :

> In message <aaf0440b-1974-4cd6...@u25g2000pra.googlegroups.com>
> on 13 Nov 2010 castlevarich wrote:
>
> > One good reason to start saving up for one of the new A9
> > machines !!!!!
>
> They're not exactly new now! I think you're more likely to see software like
> this becoming available for a BeagleBoard-derived computer, though as far as
> I know no-one is working on it.

I think he meant Cortex-A9, except I don't think that actually exists
yet (or if it does, it doesn't run RISC OS).

The A9home was never new. Until ROL get their act together and make
Select work on it, its age will be perpetually negative.

(Sorry, just seemed like a while since somebody last said that in a
completely inappropriate place...)

--
__<^>__
/ _ _ \ It is written that Geeks shall inherit the Earth.
( ( |_| ) )
\_> <_/ ======================= Martin Bazley ==========================

David Pitt

unread,
Nov 16, 2010, 1:16:38 AM11/16/10
to
Martin Bazley <martin...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> The following bytes were arranged on 14 Nov 2010 by Matthew Phillips :
>
> > In message
> > <aaf0440b-1974-4cd6...@u25g2000pra.googlegroups.com>
> > on 13 Nov 2010 castlevarich wrote:
> >
> > > One good reason to start saving up for one of the new A9 machines
> > > !!!!!
> >
> > They're not exactly new now! I think you're more likely to see software
> > like this becoming available for a BeagleBoard-derived computer, though
> > as far as I know no-one is working on it.
>
> I think he meant Cortex-A9, except I don't think that actually exists yet
> (or if it does, it doesn't run RISC OS).
>
> The A9home was never new. Until ROL get their act together and make
> Select work on it, its age will be perpetually negative.

Not quite, ROL did their bit, all 32 of them, and converted the OS to 32bit.
It was Adv6 that stalled.

> (Sorry, just seemed like a while since somebody last said that in a
> completely inappropriate place...)

It's been a while...


--
David Pitt

trevj

unread,
Nov 16, 2010, 1:40:05 AM11/16/10
to
On Nov 15, 9:43 pm, Martin Bazley <martin.baz...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>
> I think he meant Cortex-A9, except I don't think that actually exists
> yet (or if it does, it doesn't run RISC OS).
[snip]

It definitely exists:
http://armdevices.net/2010/11/13/pandaboard-texas-instruments-arm-cortex-a9/

And the ROOL forum discussion is here somewhere... maybe in
Announcements IIRC (the server's down ATM):
https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/

Chris Hughes

unread,
Nov 16, 2010, 6:28:58 AM11/16/10
to
In message <b59fbf76...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Martin Bazley <martin...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> The following bytes were arranged on 14 Nov 2010 by Matthew Phillips :

>> In message <aaf0440b-1974-4cd6...@u25g2000pra.googlegro
>> ups.com>
>> on 13 Nov 2010 castlevarich wrote:
>>
>>> One good reason to start saving up for one of the new A9
>>> machines !!!!!
>>
>> They're not exactly new now! I think you're more likely to see
>> software like
>> this becoming available for a BeagleBoard-derived computer, though as far as
>> I know no-one is working on it.

> I think he meant Cortex-A9, except I don't think that actually exists
> yet (or if it does, it doesn't run RISC OS).

> The A9home was never new. Until ROL get their act together and make
> Select work on it, its age will be perpetually negative.

If you are going to slug off people, point it at the right company at
least its Advantage 6 that do the work on the A9home OS not RISC OS
ltd and 4.42 is partly what became RO6 anyway, but some parts that
need to be specifically modified for the A9home would be done by Ad6
not RISC OS 6 and there bread and butter income is NOT from RISC OS
Sales of the A9home which is handled by CJE Micro's.

> (Sorry, just seemed like a while since somebody last said that in a
> completely inappropriate place...)

and unnecessary.


--
Chris Hughes

Jess

unread,
Nov 16, 2010, 7:20:03 AM11/16/10
to
In message <bc330b77...@o2.co.uk>
Chris Hughes <ne...@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <b59fbf76...@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Martin Bazley <martin...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>> The A9home was never new. Until ROL get their act together and make
>> Select work on it, its age will be perpetually negative.
>
> If you are going to slug off people, point it at the right company at
> least its Advantage 6 that do the work on the A9home OS not RISC OS
> ltd and 4.42 is partly what became RO6 anyway, but some parts that
> need to be specifically modified for the A9home would be done by Ad6
> not RISC OS 6 and there bread and butter income is NOT from RISC OS
> Sales of the A9home which is handled by CJE Micro's.

The implication of that statement is that the majority of A9 owners
are not Select subscribers, have I interpreted it correctly?

--
Jess Iyonix

David Pitt

unread,
Nov 16, 2010, 7:42:24 AM11/16/10
to
Jess <phant...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Select cannot be run on the A9home, that is soft-loading later ROL OSes.
There would be no point in being a Select subscriber.


--
David Pitt

Chris Hughes

unread,
Nov 16, 2010, 10:51:32 AM11/16/10
to
In message <mpro.lbz9yo00...@pittdj.co.uk>
David Pitt <ne...@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

> Jess <phant...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Actually parts of it can run on the A9home, The club was shown such a
beast a couple of months ago.


--
Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

unread,
Nov 16, 2010, 10:49:49 AM11/16/10
to
In message <09e10f7...@itworkshop.invalid>
Jess <phant...@hotmail.com> wrote:

No.

You need to understand the different companies involved.

Advantage 6 developed the A9home off the back of another project (that
was not using RISC OS) for another company, CJE Micro's wanted the
development and are the only official resellers of the A9home.

RISC OS 4.42 is the start of what would become known as RISC OS 6.
RISC OS 6 requires some specific tweaks for it to work fully on the
A9home - those tweaks arebeing done by Advantage 6 not by RISCOS Ltd

You will note I have not mentioned Select at all in the above, that
because Select is not involved per se. When/if Advantage 6 get the
necessary tweaks that are need done the users will get (offered) a
RISC OS 6 version suitable for the A9home.

complain to the correct companies if you feel you must.

--
Chris Hughes

Graham Thurlwell

unread,
Nov 16, 2010, 3:54:11 PM11/16/10
to
On the 16 Nov 2010, Chris Hughes <ne...@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <mpro.lbz9yo00...@pittdj.co.uk>
> David Pitt <ne...@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

>> Select cannot be run on the A9home, that is soft-loading later ROL OSes.
>> There would be no point in being a Select subscriber.

> Actually parts of it can run on the A9home, The club was shown such a
> beast a couple of months ago.

The RO6 firewall configure applet appears to work without any obvious
problems, but I haven't really done much with it as I don't really
understand it!

--
Graham Thurlwell

Jades' First Encounters Site
http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm

Chris Hughes

unread,
Nov 16, 2010, 4:30:45 PM11/16/10
to
In message <32f33e77...@d.thurlwell.btopenworld.com>
Graham Thurlwell <nos...@jades.org> wrote:

> On the 16 Nov 2010, Chris Hughes <ne...@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>> In message <mpro.lbz9yo00...@pittdj.co.uk>
>> David Pitt <ne...@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

> <snip>

>>> Select cannot be run on the A9home, that is soft-loading later ROL OSes.
>>> There would be no point in being a Select subscriber.

>> Actually parts of it can run on the A9home, The club was shown such a
>> beast a couple of months ago.

> The RO6 firewall configure applet appears to work without any obvious
> problems, but I haven't really done much with it as I don't really
> understand it!

There is an article all about Steve Potts talk/demo of the RO6
firewall running on the A9home, in one of the club newsletters.


--
Chris Hughes

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages