MassFS 1.98

Mark Fraser (News)

Sep 13, 2006, 4:25:32 AM9/13/06
At the WAUG (Wessex ARM User Group) meeting last weekend one of our members
brought along an A9. Whilst having a play with it, I noticed that in the
task display under dynamic areas there are 3 areas starting with MassFC. Am
I right in assuming this is an typo in the latest version of MassFS (1.98)
that is supplied with the A9?

Wonder if Jason's mind was on something else ;)

|\ /| ark Fraser /mfr...@ukgateway.net
| \/ | Somerset /Using !Pluto on an Acorn SA RISC PC
| |___________/You know what the sig means!

Message has been deleted

Theo Markettos

Sep 13, 2006, 8:27:21 AM9/13/06
"Mark Fraser (News)" <mfr...@ukgateway.net> wrote:
> At the WAUG (Wessex ARM User Group) meeting last weekend one of our members
> brought along an A9. Whilst having a play with it, I noticed that in the
> task display under dynamic areas there are 3 areas starting with MassFC. Am
> I right in assuming this is an typo in the latest version of MassFS (1.98)
> that is supplied with the A9?

Perhaps. At a guess they're the maps for FileCore formatted MassFS discs,
in the same way that ADFS has dynamic areas for its disc maps. Unlike
previous versions MassFS ~=2 supports FileCore formatted media (and so gets
around the 2GB DOSFS limit). So 'MassFS FC' or maybe 'MassFC' would make
sense.

http://www.riscos.info/index.php/Simtec_USB_technical
has the details.

Theo

Mark Fraser

Sep 13, 2006, 10:58:16 AM9/13/06
I thought that might've been the case, but I hadn't noticed other
FileCore discs using a dynamic area before.

Kevin Wells

Sep 13, 2006, 11:39:41 AM9/13/06
In message <4e65a09a...@ukgateway.net>

"Mark Fraser (News)" <mfr...@ukgateway.net> wrote:

>At the WAUG (Wessex ARM User Group) meeting last weekend one of our members
>brought along an A9. Whilst having a play with it, I noticed that in the
>task display under dynamic areas there are 3 areas starting with MassFC. Am
>I right in assuming this is an typo in the latest version of MassFS (1.98)
>that is supplied with the A9?
>
>Wonder if Jason's mind was on something else ;)

My A9 has 3 MassFC:

MassFC dir buffer
MassFC map (drive 0)
MassFC map (drive 1)
--
Kev Wells http://kevsoft.topcities.com
http://kevsoft.co.uk/

Steve Fryatt

Sep 13, 2006, 3:09:44 PM9/13/06
On 13 Sep, Mark Fraser wrote in message
<4mqkk8F...@individual.net>:

> I thought that might've been the case, but I hadn't noticed other
> FileCore discs using a dynamic area before.

ADFS certainly does.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Jason Tribbeck

Sep 13, 2006, 4:04:00 PM9/13/06
Mark Fraser (News) wrote:

> At the WAUG (Wessex ARM User Group) meeting last weekend one of our members
> brought along an A9. Whilst having a play with it, I noticed that in the
> task display under dynamic areas there are 3 areas starting with MassFC. Am
> I right in assuming this is an typo in the latest version of MassFS (1.98)
> that is supplied with the A9?

It's not a typo (nor the latest non-league football team) - under RISC
OS, you can't have two filing systems of the same name, nor the same
number, and as I was asked to add FileCore support into MassFS, it
seemed the logical choice.

I could've switched MassFS over to FileCore (I've done that kind of
thing before), but you've got to declare how many discs you want when
you initialise the filing system - which means you either:

1) Have a load of unused dynamic areas (I got moaned at that for RMFS)

2) Have a configuration option (like other apps) - I had a very early A9
and it was in a state of flux, so I avoided that

3) Make it so it reinitialises itself when you insert drives more than
the current number (which would cause all open files to be closed - very
dangerous)

4) Have the two filing systems

Since you can already have >8 MassFS drives present at one time (useful
for those n-in-1 cards), it would've potentially restricted existing
user's use. So I went for the latter. I don't think that you'd have more
than 2 FileCore discs mounted at the same time - if you do ... well,
tough (at this moment in time).

Easy way to remember it:

MassFS = Mass storage:FileSwitch
MassFC = Mass storage:FileCore

If you've got the right flag for the device, the filer checks to see if
it's FileCore formatted, and if it is, opens MassFC::<name>.$;
otherwise, it will open MassFS::<name>.$ (and not use up one of the
MassFC 'slots').

I've used it with a 40G IDE drive on USB. I must stress that this drive
was FileCore formatted, which means it can not be read by Windows/MacOS
(I'll draw the line at Linux, since there is an ADFS partition reader
for it - although I haven't tried it). MassFS 1.9x+ does not allow you
to have FAT16 discs > 2G. (Just in case anyone tries it! If you do, I
reserve the right to call you "pudding head" :) ).

I suppose this would be added to the "Simtec USB technical" guide that
Theo linked to :)

> Wonder if Jason's mind was on something else ;)

Too many things :/ 0-60 in 4 seconds is the current thing :)
--
Jason Tribbeck

newsm...@tribbeck.com - 20K download limit - anything larger won't
be received.

druck

Sep 13, 2006, 4:03:52 PM9/13/06
On 13 Sep 2006 Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> On 13 Sep, Mark Fraser wrote in message
> <4mqkk8F...@individual.net>:
>
> > I thought that might've been the case, but I hadn't noticed other
> > FileCore discs using a dynamic area before.
>
> ADFS certainly does.

The Dynamic areas aren't owned by the filing system, but by the filing
systems instance of FileCore on RISC OS 4 and above, e.g. FileCore%ADFS

On 13 Sep 2006 "Mark Fraser (News)" <mfr...@ukgateway.net> wrote:
> I noticed that in the task display under dynamic areas there are 3 areas
> starting with MassFC.

This means the filing system is registing itself as MassFC to FileCore.
Possibly to distinquish itself from the FileSwitch client MassFS.

---druck

Theo Markettos

Sep 22, 2006, 12:38:57 PM9/22/06
Jason Tribbeck <newsm...@tribbeck.com> wrote:
> I suppose this would be added to the "Simtec USB technical" guide that
> Theo linked to :)

I suppose it would, except it already has been :)

Theo

Jason Tribbeck

Sep 23, 2006, 5:51:58 PM9/23/06

So it is! :)