Iris and Gmail

Robert Werry

Feb 7, 2022, 4:00:27 PM2/7/22
Since updating to the latest version of Iris (Jan 22), I can no long
open the Standard HTML Gmail window, which worked fine before. No
great problem as the Basic HTML version still works. Just curious as
to whether anyone else has noticed this.

David Pitt

Feb 11, 2022, 4:51:30 AM2/11/22
I do not use gmail but I did notice that on the Titanium on upgrading to the
latest Iris (22 Jan) that some sites were no longer reachable, a conveinient
example being TechRadar from the home page. Sometime later I noticed that on
the RPi400 with the same version os Iris that the TechRadar site was
reachable.

The issue is the ZeroPain module which was only in use on the Titanium.
Removing it allows the TechRadar site to load.

Conversely loading ZeroPain on the RPi400 does stop TechRadar.

This may or may not help with gmail.
--
David Pitt

Robert Werry

Feb 12, 2022, 4:20:01 AM2/12/22
In message <mpro.r74wpn004...@pittdj.co.uk>
Thanks for your reply, David.

Rpi 4, here, with RISC OS 5.28. I do not appear to have the ZeroPain
module, and TechRadar loads fine, so not the issue in my case, but
very much appreciate your thoughts.

Chris Hughes

Feb 12, 2022, 5:19:45 AM2/12/22
In message <600f48b9...@sales.robertwerry.com>
I can get into the basic Gmail webmail, but access to the 'standard'
version is not currently working. Google issues a warning you are using an
out of date version of Chrome and wants you to update it! I have not yet
tried using a different User Agent to try and get round this.

Google recently announced a major "update" to how Gmail worked as of about
10 days ago. Its partly to do with the big changes they are rolling out to
those with G-Suite

--
Chris Hughes
Don't miss this years Wakefield Show 21st May 2022
check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Robert Werry

Feb 13, 2022, 4:14:29 PM2/13/22
In message <eb948ab9...@mytarbis.plus.com>
This makes sense. It would be about ten days ago that I installed the
Jan 22 Iris update. How coincidental! Basic Gmail working fine but
standard hanging on startup screen.

I've now had a play with different User Agents in Iris, but to no
avail.

Thanks for the insight, Chris.

Chris Hughes

Feb 14, 2022, 4:26:45 AM2/14/22
In message <d9e84aba...@sales.robertwerry.com>
To be honest I do not use the webmail interface normally anyway. I
download all my gmail emails and send them from Messenger Pro. works
nicely.

Harriet Bazley

Feb 14, 2022, 5:52:47 AM2/14/22
On 13 Feb 2022 as I do recall,
Chris Hughes wrote:

> In message <d9e84aba...@sales.robertwerry.com>
> Robert Werry <sa...@robertwerry.com> wrote:
>
> > In message <eb948ab9...@mytarbis.plus.com>
> > Chris Hughes <new...@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> >> Google recently announced a major "update" to how Gmail worked as of about
> >> 10 days ago. Its partly to do with the big changes they are rolling out to
> >> those with G-Suite
>
> > This makes sense. It would be about ten days ago that I installed the
> > Jan 22 Iris update. How coincidental! Basic Gmail working fine but
> > standard hanging on startup screen.
>
> > I've now had a play with different User Agents in Iris, but to no
> > avail.
>
> > Thanks for the insight, Chris.
>
> To be honest I do not use the webmail interface normally anyway. I
> download all my gmail emails and send them from Messenger Pro. works
> nicely.

I wonder how much longer MPro will go on working with an 'updated'
Gmail that regards it as insecure, though :-(

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

"An American is a man with two arms and four wheels".

Chris Newman

Feb 14, 2022, 8:11:23 AM2/14/22
In article <e24c95ba5...@bazleyfamily.co.uk>, Harriet Bazley
<har...@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2022 as I do recall, Chris Hughes wrote:

> > In message <d9e84aba...@sales.robertwerry.com> Robert Werry

> > To be honest I do not use the webmail interface normally anyway. I
> > download all my gmail emails and send them from Messenger Pro. works
> > nicely.
> >
> I wonder how much longer MPro will go on working with an 'updated'
> Gmail that regards it as insecure, though :-(

Just been setting up a new e-address for the Mem Sahib. couldn't get it
to work then Google told me we were using an insecure mail app.

It's Office Outlook 2010 so not much longevity in Microsoft products.

Anyway, Google reminded us that in your account settings you can opt to
"Use less secure apps" or something similar. Did that, ignoring the dire
warnings and all is now well.

--
Chris Newman

Chris Hughes

Feb 14, 2022, 8:32:00 AM2/14/22
In message <e24c95ba5...@bazleyfamily.co.uk>
Webmail based Gmail uses OAuth and soon Oauth2 for secure logins which
have been around for several years but we currently don't support them on
RISC OS yet. We just need NetFetch/Hermes to support it. I very much doubt
Popstar would ever support it.

Stuart

Feb 14, 2022, 9:18:23 AM2/14/22
In article <1756a4ba...@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <new...@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> > I wonder how much longer MPro will go on working with an 'updated'
> > Gmail that regards it as insecure, though :-(

> Webmail based Gmail uses OAuth and soon Oauth2 for secure logins which
> have been around for several years but we currently don't support them
> on RISC OS

Never mind, I'm sticking with good old Orpheus for my Email.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Chris Newman

Feb 14, 2022, 9:25:14 AM2/14/22
In article <1756a4ba...@mytarbis.plus.com>, Chris Hughes
<new...@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <e24c95ba5...@bazleyfamily.co.uk> Harriet Bazley
> <har...@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:

> > On 13 Feb 2022 as I do recall, Chris Hughes wrote:

> > [snip]

> Webmail based Gmail uses OAuth and soon Oauth2 for secure logins which
> have been around for several years but we currently don't support them
> on RISC OS yet. We just need NetFetch/Hermes to support it. I very
> much doubt Popstar would ever support it.

I have 6 gmail accounts which work perfectly with PoP using
Netfetch/Hermes/Pluto. If I set Netfetch to leave mail on the server and
ignore previously downloaded items, Ican still access the stuff on
Thunderbird on the dark side. No problem.

--
Chris Newman

Chris Hughes

Feb 14, 2022, 11:17:25 AM2/14/22
In message <59baa95a...@waitrose.com>
To be clear we do not yet AFAIK support OAuth or OAuth2 secure logon
protocols as used by the webmail interface.

Yes we can get Gmail mail via POP3 or IMAP via NetFetch/Hermes currently,
but this method is via what Google say are insecure apps (includes
Thurderbird)

Chris Newman

Feb 14, 2022, 11:21:35 AM2/14/22
In article <28feb2ba...@mytarbis.plus.com>, Chris Hughes
See my previous post. You can set you account to ignore that.

--
Chris Newman

Chris Hughes

Feb 14, 2022, 12:17:28 PM2/14/22
In message <59bab400...@waitrose.com>
I know all that ! I was explaining how the webmail service worked and how
we might have to change in the future.

Chris Newman

Feb 14, 2022, 12:50:14 PM2/14/22
In article <15e0b8ba...@mytarbis.plus.com>, Chris Hughes
<new...@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> I know all that ! I was explaining how the webmail service worked and
> how we might have to change in the future.

So are you saying Iris & Netsurf won't be up to it?

--
Chris Newman

Chris Hughes

Feb 14, 2022, 5:10:11 PM2/14/22
In message <59babc1d...@waitrose.com>
Netsurf - very unlikely
Iris - hopefully will be in the future.

Chris Hughes

Feb 15, 2022, 7:25:27 AM2/15/22
In message <59babc1d...@waitrose.com>
Chris Newman <cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:

here is some more info on what Oauth and the newer OAuth2 is and how it
works.

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3216404/what-is-oauth-how-the-open-authorization-framework-works.html

Harriet Bazley

Mar 4, 2022, 10:27:25 AM3/4/22
(Oops! Unintentionally e-mailed to Chris Hughes instead of posting to
the newsgroup....)

In message <15e0b8ba...@mytarbis.plus.com>, Chris Hughes
<new...@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <59bab400...@waitrose.com>
> Chris Newman <cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <28feb2ba...@mytarbis.plus.com>, Chris Hughes
> > <new...@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> >> To be clear we do not yet AFAIK support OAuth or OAuth2 secure logon
> >> protocols as used by the webmail interface.
>
> >> Yes we can get Gmail mail via POP3 or IMAP via NetFetch/Hermes
> >> currently, but this method is via what Google say are insecure apps
> >> (includes Thurderbird)
>
> > See my previous post. You can set you account to ignore that.
>
> I know all that ! I was explaining how the webmail service worked and how
> we might have to change in the future.

As anticipated, GMail have now sent out a message warning users that in
the near future 'insecure' software like old versions of Outlook will no
longer be allowed to access its services at all - I assume this applies
to MessengerPro and Pluto and their respective mail fetchers too, not to
mention things like AntiSpam....

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

In the end, winning is the only safety.

charles

Mar 4, 2022, 11:16:54 AM3/4/22
In article <8392f2c3...@bazleyfamily.co.uk>, Harriet Bazley
I acces Gmail with Thunderbird. I wonder how that will cope?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Steve Fryatt

Mar 4, 2022, 12:15:03 PM3/4/22
On 4 Mar, charles wrote in message
<59c3f7a3...@candehope.me.uk>:
Since it appears to support OAuth 2, probably quite well...

That said, doesn't turning on 2-Step Authentication in your Google account
and then creating an "App Password" work? From a very quick investigation,
they appear to walk and quack like the "authentication tokens" that everyone
else is using to replace passwords for things that don't do OAuth.

The idea is that a) they're more secure than "Password1", and b) since you
can create as many as you need (one per application, per computer or other
device), it's trivial to revoke them if they get leaked.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Nat Queen

Mar 10, 2022, 6:37:07 PM3/10/22
In message <8392f2c3...@bazleyfamily.co.uk>
Harriet Bazley <har...@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:

> As anticipated, GMail have now sent out a message warning users that in
> the near future 'insecure' software like old versions of Outlook will no
> longer be allowed to access its services at all - I assume this applies
> to MessengerPro and Pluto and their respective mail fetchers too, not to
> mention things like AntiSpam....

My mail to gmail.com addresses has been blocked lately. But I found a
simple solution: Simply replace gmail.com in such addresses by
googlemail.com, and the mail is received normally.

I always thought that those two domain names were equivalent, but mail
to them evidently behaves differently.

Nat

--
PGP-encrypted e-mail preferred. Public key at
http://www.queen.clara.net and on keyservers.