AVI movie player

1 view

Howard Dawson

Aug 7, 2006, 10:22:51 AM8/7/06
Hi everyone,

I've been given some .avi files from a digital camera and tried to play them
on an old (1.55) version of !PlayAVI from a PD CD but it complains that it
only supports 8-bit sound.

Is there a later version of !PlayAVI or something else that can handle
16-bit sound.

TIA
Howard.

--
-------------
Howard Dawson

hsda...@ormail.co.uk

http://hd-audio.orpheusweb.co.uk/
---------------------------------

Alex Macfarlane Smith

Aug 10, 2006, 3:11:20 PM8/10/06
Howard Dawson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been given some .avi files from a digital camera and tried to play them
> on an old (1.55) version of !PlayAVI from a PD CD but it complains that it
> only supports 8-bit sound.
>
> Is there a later version of !PlayAVI or something else that can handle
> 16-bit sound.
>
> TIA
> Howard.

You could possibly try using ffmpeg
(http://www.archifishal.co.uk/ffmpeg.zip - very old now, but might still
do), and convert it from avi into MPEG format and then play it using
KinoAmp?

Alex.

Mag. Erhard F.

Aug 10, 2006, 6:22:33 PM8/10/06
Am Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:11:20 +0100 schrieb Alex Macfarlane Smith:

> You could possibly try using ffmpeg
> (http://www.archifishal.co.uk/ffmpeg.zip - very old now, but might still
> do), and convert it from avi into MPEG format and then play it using
> KinoAmp?
>
> Alex.

Wow, I didn't know that ffmpeg even exists for RISC OS machines! :-) Is it
32bitted, or does it need Aemulor?

Peter Naulls

Aug 10, 2006, 4:38:08 PM8/10/06
In message <pan.2006.08.10....@sbg.ac.at>

It's just (I believe) a direct port of a command line tool, so its
existence isn't too surprising. It's even in the GCCSDK autobuilder, so
we could spin a new version pretty easily. Alex's version is of
course 32-bit.

--
Peter Naulls - pe...@chocky.org | http://www.chocky.org/
RISC OS Community Wiki - add your own content | http://www.riscos.info/

Mag. Erhard F.

Aug 10, 2006, 6:55:52 PM8/10/06
Am Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:38:08 +0000 schrieb Peter Naulls:

> In message <pan.2006.08.10....@sbg.ac.at>
> "Mag. Erhard F." <erhard....@sbg.ac.at> wrote:
>
>> Am Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:11:20 +0100 schrieb Alex Macfarlane Smith:
>>
>> > You could possibly try using ffmpeg
>> > (http://www.archifishal.co.uk/ffmpeg.zip - very old now, but might still
>> > do), and convert it from avi into MPEG format and then play it using
>> > KinoAmp?
>> >
>> > Alex.
>>
>> Wow, I didn't know that ffmpeg even exists for RISC OS machines! :-) Is it
>> 32bitted, or does it need Aemulor?
>
> It's just (I believe) a direct port of a command line tool, so its
> existence isn't too surprising. It's even in the GCCSDK autobuilder, so
> we could spin a new version pretty easily. Alex's version is of
> course 32-bit.

Thanks for the info and the promising perspectives!