Squeak 4.42 crashes on Risc OS 5.28

Ralf

Apr 3, 2022, 1:54:59 PM4/3/22
After some time with other systems i now returned after a long time to
Risc OS on a Raspberry Pi. I wanted to get again going with Squeak (which
i had running on Riscos some time ago), but both offered Versions 4.0 and
4.42 are crashing when i try to start them... both with the message
"Illegal Window Handle" and "Return Code to large".

Has anyone perhaps encountered a similiar problem and can me give a hint
how to resolve that problem?

Chris Newman

Apr 3, 2022, 4:01:01 PM4/3/22
In article <59d2a5b9f...@smart-mail.de>, Ralf
Excuse my ignorance but what is "Squeak?"

--
Chris Newman

Doug Webb

Apr 4, 2022, 7:12:06 AM4/4/22
In message <59d2a5b9f...@smart-mail.de>
Hi Ralf,

I do get the occasional issue you mention on 4.4 though 4.6 does seem more
stable and I have recently updated it via the built in update.

A reboot usually cures it.

This is both on a ARMX6 and RaspberryPi4 running 5.29.

I also have Scratch 1.4 running here as well.

I did have some correspondance with Tim Rowledge about Squeak and Scratch
and he did some updates about 3 years back as one of the MUG members very
kindly provided him with an updated ROOL C update.

--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS

Doug Webb

Apr 4, 2022, 9:36:34 AM4/4/22
> I do get the occasional issue you mention on 4.4 though 4.6 does seem more
> stable and I have recently updated it via the built in update.

> A reboot usually cures it.

I have now altered the free object memory set aside when starting from
160Mb to 240Mb

/<Squeak$Dir>.!RunImage -memory:240m %*0

The change can be set in the !Run file as well as you can push it to use
DynamicArea memory even on RISCOS 5 with the -useDA attribute.

Just read the attribute bits in the !Run file and alter as required.

Hope that helps

Ralf

Apr 4, 2022, 1:14:31 PM4/4/22
In article <92dee0d359...@btinternet.com>,
Doug Webb <doug....@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hope that helps

Hi, thank you for your tips! After all, i (ssemingly) found the issue in a
different corner... at least now it runs: I had my OS running in ARMv5
compatibility mode, i just tried to set it to ARMv7 strict mode, and now
Squeak runs perfectly stable.

Ralf

Apr 4, 2022, 1:14:31 PM4/4/22
In article <59d3802d...@waitrose.com>,
Chris Newman <cvj...@waitrose.com> wrote:

> Excuse my ignorance but what is "Squeak?"

Squeak is a Smalltalk dialect, an really nice to work with that is. If you
are interested a look at https://www.squeak.org may be worth ist.

Chris Newman

Apr 6, 2022, 12:09:28 PM4/6/22
In article <59d2b5383...@smart-mail.de>, Ralf
Ta.

--
Chris Newman

Stuart

Apr 6, 2022, 2:31:24 PM4/6/22
Apparently it's another programming language so why not say so?

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Ralf

Apr 8, 2022, 2:14:14 PM4/8/22
In article <59d50383...@argonet.co.uk>,
Stuart <Spa...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Apparently it's another programming language so why not say so?

Its... complicated ;-) Yes, smalltalk (and Squeak as its subset) is - on
the one hand - just another programming language, on the other hand its a
complete programming environment, a virtual machine with a complete
desktop environment (or better: it could be used in this way)...

Its just a whole lot stuff to fanboy about.