CD Burn

16 views
Skip to first unread message

aw2...@gmail.com

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 7:01:08 AM3/27/07
to
Just trying out CD Burn and not getting very far. I put a CD-RW in,
drag a directory to the "layout data" window, click on "write CD on
the fly", then write, the CD seems to record (red light on), ejects
but when I try to access it again I get "not an audio track" or "CD-
ROM empty".

I've tried this with new CD-RW's, blanked CD-RWs and with simulation
on or off. What am I doing wrong?

Andrew

Martin Wuerthner

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 7:37:48 AM3/27/07
to
In message <1174993268....@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>
"aw2...@gmail.com" <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just trying out CD Burn and not getting very far. I put a CD-RW in,
> drag a directory to the "layout data" window, click on "write CD on
> the fly", then write, the CD seems to record (red light on), ejects

There is a dialogue box at this stage. Does it say "successful"?

> but when I try to access it again I get "not an audio track" or "CD-
> ROM empty".

There are two potential reasons: 1) the CD was not written correctly
or 2) your CD drive is not compatible with CD-RW media. Of course, if
you tried to read the CD using the CD writer you wrote it with, 2) is
not an issue, so 1) must be the case.

> I've tried this with new CD-RW's, blanked CD-RWs and with simulation
> on or off. What am I doing wrong?

Please try creating an ISO image and writing that. That is far more
reliable. Only if that works OK, then try on the fly writing.

Obviously, it would help if you let us know what kind of CD writer you
have attached and which driver you have configured in CD-Burn. The
device might be incompatible with CD-Burn.

Martin
--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin Wuerthner MW Software http://www.mw-software.com/
ArtWorks 2 -- Designing stunning graphics has never been easier
spam...@mw-software.com [replace "spamtrap" by "info" to reply]

aw2...@gmail.com

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 9:01:05 AM3/27/07
to
In article <cd361eca...@bach.planiverse.com>, Martin Wuerthner

<URL:mailto:spam...@mw-software.com> wrote:
> In message <1174993268....@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>
> "aw2...@gmail.com" <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just trying out CD Burn and not getting very far. I put a CD-RW in,
> > drag a directory to the "layout data" window, click on "write CD on
> > the fly", then write, the CD seems to record (red light on), ejects
>
> There is a dialogue box at this stage. Does it say "successful"?
>
Yes "ISO image successfully written".

> > but when I try to access it again I get "not an audio track" or "CD-
> > ROM empty".
>
> There are two potential reasons: 1) the CD was not written correctly
> or 2) your CD drive is not compatible with CD-RW media. Of course, if
> you tried to read the CD using the CD writer you wrote it with, 2) is
> not an issue, so 1) must be the case.
>

The drive should be fine as it is brand new and reads previously
written CD-RWs.

> > I've tried this with new CD-RW's, blanked CD-RWs and with simulation
> > on or off. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Please try creating an ISO image and writing that. That is far more
> reliable. Only if that works OK, then try on the fly writing.
>

A buffer under-run occured with writing speed 2 (!) but I get a
"successful" dialogue with speed of 1. However clicking on the drive
icon still produces "not an audio track".

> Obviously, it would help if you let us know what kind of CD writer you
> have attached and which driver you have configured in CD-Burn. The
> device might be incompatible with CD-Burn.
>

It's a 52x32x52 CD-RW (Micro-something from Taiwan). The writer is set
to IDE:1 ATAPI CD-RW52xMax
and the reader is set to the same. I assume that's what you mean by
configured driver.

Andrew

jl

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 8:01:36 AM3/27/07
to
In article <1174993268....@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

aw2...@gmail.com <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just trying out CD Burn and not getting very far. I put a CD-RW in,
> drag a directory to the "layout data" window, click on "write CD on
> the fly", then write, the CD seems to record (red light on), ejects
> but when I try to access it again I get "not an audio track" or "CD-
> ROM empty".

I don't think that program works very reliably. I've ruined a dozen or
more CD-R and only managed to get one or two useable discs.

Jochen

--

------------------------------------
Limavady and the Roe Valley
http://www.jochenlueg.freeuk.com

Martin Wuerthner

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 9:21:05 AM3/27/07
to
In message <1175000465.8...@r56g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>
"aw2...@gmail.com" <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In article <cd361eca...@bach.planiverse.com>, Martin Wuerthner
> <URL:mailto:spam...@mw-software.com> wrote:
>> In message <1174993268....@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>
>> "aw2...@gmail.com" <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I've tried this with new CD-RW's, blanked CD-RWs and with simulation
>> > on or off. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Please try creating an ISO image and writing that. That is far more
>> reliable. Only if that works OK, then try on the fly writing.
>>
> A buffer under-run occured with writing speed 2 (!) but I get a
> "successful" dialogue with speed of 1. However clicking on the drive
> icon still produces "not an audio track".

I presume you had switched "Simulate writing" off. If so, then the
only explanation I can think of is that your CD writer is incompatible
with CD-Burn.

>> Obviously, it would help if you let us know what kind of CD writer you
>> have attached and which driver you have configured in CD-Burn. The
>> device might be incompatible with CD-Burn.
>>
> It's a 52x32x52 CD-RW (Micro-something from Taiwan). The writer is set
> to IDE:1 ATAPI CD-RW52xMax
> and the reader is set to the same. I assume that's what you mean by
> configured driver.

No - there is a "Driver" field further below. What does it say?
CD-Burn is only guaranteed to work with a fixed set of CD writers it
has been tested with. If your device is not one of them (and I guess
you have not checked), then chances are that it fails to work.

David Holden

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 9:40:12 AM3/27/07
to

On 27-Mar-2007, "aw2...@gmail.com" <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just trying out CD Burn and not getting very far. I put a CD-RW in,
> drag a directory to the "layout data" window, click on "write CD on
> the fly", then write, the CD seems to record (red light on), ejects
> but when I try to access it again I get "not an audio track" or "CD-
> ROM empty".

Don't bother trying to write CDs on the fly if the drive is connected to the
motherboard IDE interface. It's just not fast enough. If you create an ISO
image you should be able to write reliably at 4x, but not normally any
faster.

--
David Holden - APDL - <http://www.apdl.co.uk>

aw2...@gmail.com

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 9:52:34 AM3/27/07
to

Martin Wuerthner wrote:
> In message <1175000465.8...@r56g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>
> "aw2...@gmail.com" <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <cd361eca...@bach.planiverse.com>, Martin Wuerthner
> > <URL:mailto:spam...@mw-software.com> wrote:
> >> In message <1174993268....@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>
> >> "aw2...@gmail.com" <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> > I've tried this with new CD-RW's, blanked CD-RWs and with simulation
> >> > on or off. What am I doing wrong?
> >>
> >> Please try creating an ISO image and writing that. That is far more
> >> reliable. Only if that works OK, then try on the fly writing.
> >>
> > A buffer under-run occured with writing speed 2 (!) but I get a
> > "successful" dialogue with speed of 1. However clicking on the drive
> > icon still produces "not an audio track".
>
> I presume you had switched "Simulate writing" off. If so, then the
> only explanation I can think of is that your CD writer is incompatible
> with CD-Burn.
>

I've tried it with "simulate writing" on as well. The software came
with the drive from APDL so it must be possible.


> >> Obviously, it would help if you let us know what kind of CD writer you
> >> have attached and which driver you have configured in CD-Burn. The
> >> device might be incompatible with CD-Burn.
> >>
> > It's a 52x32x52 CD-RW (Micro-something from Taiwan). The writer is set
> > to IDE:1 ATAPI CD-RW52xMax
> > and the reader is set to the same. I assume that's what you mean by
> > configured driver.
>

It just says "default".

> No - there is a "Driver" field further below. What does it say?
> CD-Burn is only guaranteed to work with a fixed set of CD writers it
> has been tested with. If your device is not one of them (and I guess
> you have not checked), then chances are that it fails to work.
>

The manual says "other MMC compatible drives " so I can't imagine
David at APDL selling one that wasn't compatible. Maybe I need to keep
trying. Is the CDBurn support group still going?

Andrew

Dave Plowman (News)

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 10:02:07 AM3/27/07
to
In article <4eca20...@spamnet.co.uk>,

jl <j...@spamnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Just trying out CD Burn and not getting very far. I put a CD-RW in,
> > drag a directory to the "layout data" window, click on "write CD on
> > the fly", then write, the CD seems to record (red light on), ejects
> > but when I try to access it again I get "not an audio track" or "CD-
> > ROM empty".

> I don't think that program works very reliably. I've ruined a dozen or
> more CD-R and only managed to get one or two useable discs.

Are you using an 'approved' (ie tested by Martin) CD writer?

I've found it an OK prog once I got round my finger problems.

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman da...@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Chris Evans

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 10:26:12 AM3/27/07
to
In article <b1ab27ca...@bach.planiverse.com>, Martin Wuerthner
<URL:mailto:spam...@mw-software.com> wrote:

> I presume you had switched "Simulate writing" off.

I recall a customer who managed to write his first CD two years of failure
when I pointed out you need to turn simulate off!

I don't know if the documentation has been changed but it suggested doing a
simulate but then never said 'if succesfull redo with simulate off'

Chris Evans

--
CJE Micro's / 4D 'RISC OS Specialists'
Telephone: 01903 523222 Fax: 01903 523679
ch...@cjemicros.co.uk http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/
78 Brighton Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN11 2EN
The most beautiful thing anyone can wear, is a smile!

aw2...@gmail.com

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 11:19:03 AM3/27/07
to

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <4eca20...@spamnet.co.uk>,
> jl <j...@spamnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Just trying out CD Burn and not getting very far. I put a CD-RW in,
> > > drag a directory to the "layout data" window, click on "write CD on
> > > the fly", then write, the CD seems to record (red light on), ejects
> > > but when I try to access it again I get "not an audio track" or "CD-
> > > ROM empty".
>
> > I don't think that program works very reliably. I've ruined a dozen or
> > more CD-R and only managed to get one or two useable discs.
>
> Are you using an 'approved' (ie tested by Martin) CD writer?
>

It's a Microstar MS8352M.

Andrew


> I've found it an OK prog once I got round my finger problems.
>

?

Martin Wuerthner

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 11:22:35 AM3/27/07
to
In message <4eca2b6...@davenoise.co.uk>

"Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <4eca20...@spamnet.co.uk>,
> jl <j...@spamnet.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Just trying out CD Burn and not getting very far. I put a CD-RW in,
>> > drag a directory to the "layout data" window, click on "write CD on
>> > the fly", then write, the CD seems to record (red light on), ejects
>> > but when I try to access it again I get "not an audio track" or "CD-
>> > ROM empty".
>
>> I don't think that program works very reliably. I've ruined a dozen or
>> more CD-R and only managed to get one or two useable discs.
>
> Are you using an 'approved' (ie tested by Martin) CD writer?

^^^^^^ Steffen
I cannot do everything. ;-)

Martin Wuerthner

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 11:35:20 AM3/27/07
to
In message <1175003554.4...@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>
"aw2...@gmail.com" <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Martin Wuerthner wrote:
>
>> I presume you had switched "Simulate writing" off. If so, then the
>> only explanation I can think of is that your CD writer is incompatible
>> with CD-Burn.
>>
> I've tried it with "simulate writing" on as well.

Fine, but please note that that ONLY does simulation. The important
question is whether you have tried burning the created ISO Image with
"Simulate writing" OFF.

> The software came with the drive from APDL so it must be possible.

OK, in that case, I presume that APDL have tested the device with the
software and found it working and so they should be able to help.

Alan Wrigley

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 11:40:44 AM3/27/07
to
In message <65cb32ca...@bach.planiverse.com>
Martin Wuerthner <spam...@mw-software.com> wrote:

> In message <4eca2b6...@davenoise.co.uk>
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Are you using an 'approved' (ie tested by Martin) CD writer?
> ^^^^^^ Steffen
> I cannot do everything. ;-)

Sssshhhh! Don't disillusion them!

Alan

--
RISC OS - you know it makes cents

Dave Plowman (News)

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 12:08:28 PM3/27/07
to
In article <65cb32ca...@bach.planiverse.com>,

Martin Wuerthner <spam...@mw-software.com> wrote:
> In message <4eca2b6...@davenoise.co.uk>
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> > In article <4eca20...@spamnet.co.uk>,
> > jl <j...@spamnet.co.uk> wrote:
> >> > Just trying out CD Burn and not getting very far. I put a CD-RW in,
> >> > drag a directory to the "layout data" window, click on "write CD on
> >> > the fly", then write, the CD seems to record (red light on), ejects
> >> > but when I try to access it again I get "not an audio track" or "CD-
> >> > ROM empty".
> >
> >> I don't think that program works very reliably. I've ruined a dozen or
> >> more CD-R and only managed to get one or two useable discs.
> >
> > Are you using an 'approved' (ie tested by Martin) CD writer?
> ^^^^^^ Steffen
> I cannot do everything. ;-)

Sorry - Martin is easier to spell than Steffen. ;-)_

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

aw2...@gmail.com

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 12:33:46 PM3/27/07
to
Martin Wuerthner wrote:
> In message <1175003554.4...@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>
> "aw2...@gmail.com" <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Martin Wuerthner wrote:
> >
> >> I presume you had switched "Simulate writing" off. If so, then the
> >> only explanation I can think of is that your CD writer is incompatible
> >> with CD-Burn.
> >>
> > I've tried it with "simulate writing" on as well.
>
> Fine, but please note that that ONLY does simulation. The important
> question is whether you have tried burning the created ISO Image with
> "Simulate writing" OFF.
>
Yes, I get "Data successfully written" but the CD can't then be read.

Andrew

Steve Fryatt

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 1:39:28 PM3/27/07
to
On 27 Mar, jl wrote in message
<4eca20...@spamnet.co.uk>:

> In article <1174993268....@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
> aw2...@gmail.com <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just trying out CD Burn and not getting very far. I put a CD-RW in,
> > drag a directory to the "layout data" window, click on "write CD on
> > the fly", then write, the CD seems to record (red light on), ejects
> > but when I try to access it again I get "not an audio track" or "CD-
> > ROM empty".
>
> I don't think that program works very reliably. I've ruined a dozen or
> more CD-R and only managed to get one or two useable discs.

While I've never had a duff disc that I can remember, and I must have got
through nearly 200 by now.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Dave Barnett

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 1:59:38 PM3/27/07
to
In a recent message Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk>
wrote:

I found that unless the CD-RWs are specified to work at 4x speed, you
will not get reliable recording or none at all. Fortunately, my son
has a PeeCee :-) or should that be :-(

Strangely, some very cheap unbranded CDRs work OK.

--
Dave
Keep GMT all year

Dave Plowman (News)

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 2:08:19 PM3/27/07
to
In article <1175013225.9...@p15g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,

aw2...@gmail.com <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Martin Wuerthner wrote:
> > In message <1175003554.4...@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>
> > "aw2...@gmail.com" <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Martin Wuerthner wrote:
> > >
> > >> I presume you had switched "Simulate writing" off. If so, then the
> > >> only explanation I can think of is that your CD writer is
> > >> incompatible with CD-Burn.
> > >>
> > > I've tried it with "simulate writing" on as well.
> >
> > Fine, but please note that that ONLY does simulation. The important
> > question is whether you have tried burning the created ISO Image with
> > "Simulate writing" OFF.
> >
> Yes, I get "Data successfully written" but the CD can't then be read.

Wonder if this is a problem with the CD reader? The whole thing's a
minefield.

--
*If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there

Dave Plowman (News)

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 2:09:14 PM3/27/07
to
In article <89533fca...@helvellyn.stevefryatt.org.uk>,

I had a couple due to finger trouble, but no problems since. Mainly audio
types.

--
*Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects *

druck

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 3:13:55 PM3/27/07
to
On 27 Mar 2007 Dave Barnett <nos...@davebarnett.me.uk> wrote:
> I found that unless the CD-RWs are specified to work at 4x speed, you
> will not get reliable recording or none at all. Fortunately, my son
> has a PeeCee :-) or should that be :-(

If you can only burn slowly, buy the discs closest to that speed, rather than
more expensive higher speed ones. That goes for all types of CDs and DVDs.

---druck

--
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/

Dave Symes

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 4:34:19 PM3/27/07
to
In article <1bf947ca...@druck.freeuk.net>,

druck <ne...@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2007 Dave Barnett <nos...@davebarnett.me.uk> wrote:
> > I found that unless the CD-RWs are specified to work at 4x speed, you
> > will not get reliable recording or none at all. Fortunately, my son
> > has a PeeCee :-) or should that be :-(

> If you can only burn slowly, buy the discs closest to that speed, rather
> than more expensive higher speed ones. That goes for all types of CDs
> and DVDs.

> ---druck

I forsee a problem...

If you burn on both A RO machine and a PC, buying just slow disks is kind
of going to hamper your PC burning somewhat. ;-)

Dave S

--

aw2...@gmail.com

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 5:05:04 PM3/27/07
to
What puzzles me is the fact that CDBurn can discriminate between
recognising a CD-R and a CD-R/W but CDFS just says "disc drive is
empty" in the iconbar menu.

Andrew

Martin Wuerthner

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 5:24:00 PM3/27/07
to
In message <1175029504.5...@p15g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>
"aw2...@gmail.com" <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:

That is perfectly normal. For obvious reasons, CD-Burn has been
written to deal with empty media whereas CDFS has been written to only
deal with media with a valid filesystem image on.

So, no matter whether the CD is still completely empty or whether
there is some content, CD-Burn is able to detect what kind of medium
it is and whether there is anything on it. CDFS, on the other hand,
displays an error for anything but a valid CD, i.e., for both empty
CDs and for CDs that were not written properly.

So, after you have written the ISO image to the CD, what does CD-Burn
(CD Tools, "Show medium information") report about the CD? Does it
show any used space?

druck

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 5:16:42 PM3/27/07
to
On 27 Mar 2007 Dave Symes <d...@ukgateway.net> wrote:
> In article <1bf947ca...@druck.freeuk.net>,
> druck <ne...@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> > If you can only burn slowly, buy the discs closest to that speed, rather
> > than more expensive higher speed ones. That goes for all types of CDs
> > and DVDs.
>
> If you burn on both A RO machine and a PC, buying just slow disks is kind
> of going to hamper your PC burning somewhat. ;-)

Buy two different sorts then.

Faster discs are meant to be written fast, writing slowly can be ineffective.

aw2...@gmail.com

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 8:17:03 PM3/27/07
to

Martin Wuerthner wrote:
> In message <1175029504.5...@p15g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>
> "aw2...@gmail.com" <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What puzzles me is the fact that CDBurn can discriminate between
> > recognising a CD-R and a CD-R/W but CDFS just says "disc drive is
> > empty" in the iconbar menu.
>
> That is perfectly normal. For obvious reasons, CD-Burn has been
> written to deal with empty media whereas CDFS has been written to only
> deal with media with a valid filesystem image on.
>
> So, no matter whether the CD is still completely empty or whether
> there is some content, CD-Burn is able to detect what kind of medium
> it is and whether there is anything on it. CDFS, on the other hand,
> displays an error for anything but a valid CD, i.e., for both empty
> CDs and for CDs that were not written properly.
>
> So, after you have written the ISO image to the CD, what does CD-Burn
> (CD Tools, "Show medium information") report about the CD? Does it
> show any used space?
>

No, the "writable" and "deletable " boxes become unticked but
everyhting else is "?" or "Unknown".

Andrew

David Holden

unread,
Mar 28, 2007, 1:36:45 AM3/28/07
to

On 27-Mar-2007, Dave Barnett <nos...@davebarnett.me.uk> wrote:

> I found that unless the CD-RWs are specified to work at 4x speed, you
> will not get reliable recording or none at all. Fortunately, my son
> has a PeeCee :-) or should that be :-(
>

I've never found this. I have absolutely no problems writing to 52x CDR
media, normally either at 4x or 8x.

> Strangely, some very cheap unbranded CDRs work OK.

This is the wisest advice. Avoid the expensive 'quality' brands, especially
the ones with a blue or green tint to the surface. You'll probably be able
to write to them OK but you may have difficulty reading them.

I've written many thousands of CDs on RiscPCs and my failure rate is so low
as to be almost nil. If it does happen I normally find it's due to a
physical blemish on the CD's surface.

Martin Wuerthner

unread,
Mar 28, 2007, 4:28:40 AM3/28/07
to
In message <1175041023.9...@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>
"aw2...@gmail.com" <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Martin Wuerthner wrote:
>
>> So, after you have written the ISO image to the CD, what does CD-Burn
>> (CD Tools, "Show medium information") report about the CD? Does it
>> show any used space?
>>
> No, the "writable" and "deletable " boxes become unticked but
> everyhting else is "?" or "Unknown".

So, it looks like either
(a) the drive is broken
OR
(b) the drive is incompatible with CD-Burn

In either case you need to discuss this with APDL.

There is a possible third alternative: The CD-RW medium brand might be
incompatible with the device. Did you try with a normal CD-R as well?

jl

unread,
Mar 27, 2007, 4:38:08 PM3/27/07
to
In article <4eca4f...@ukgateway.net>,
Dave Symes <d...@ukgateway.net> wrote:


> I forsee a problem...

> If you burn on both A RO machine and a PC, buying just slow disks is kind
> of going to hamper your PC burning somewhat. ;-)

Even if you manage to buy slow discs.

aw2...@gmail.com

unread,
Mar 28, 2007, 7:10:48 AM3/28/07
to

Martin Wuerthner wrote:
> In message <1175041023.9...@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>
> "aw2...@gmail.com" <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Martin Wuerthner wrote:
> >
> >> So, after you have written the ISO image to the CD, what does CD-Burn
> >> (CD Tools, "Show medium information") report about the CD? Does it
> >> show any used space?
> >>
> > No, the "writable" and "deletable " boxes become unticked but
> > everyhting else is "?" or "Unknown".
>
> So, it looks like either
> (a) the drive is broken
> OR
> (b) the drive is incompatible with CD-Burn
>
> In either case you need to discuss this with APDL.
>


Speaking to APDL, it seems that the problem was the writing process
not working somehow - I was getting buffer underruns at slow speeds.
The problem wasn't something slowing it down but the not being allowed
to befast enough. I tried increasing the speed as APDL say it
definitely should be able to record at 4x, so I increased it to 8x and
it worked straight away. CDFS reads it (CR-RW) no problem. Thanks all
for the help.

Andrew

Alan P Dawes

unread,
Mar 28, 2007, 11:16:50 AM3/28/07
to
In article <4eca4f...@spamnet.co.uk>,

jl <j...@spamnet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <4eca4f...@ukgateway.net>,
> Dave Symes <d...@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> > I forsee a problem...

> > If you burn on both A RO machine and a PC, buying just slow disks is kind
> > of going to hamper your PC burning somewhat. ;-)

> Even if you manage to buy slow discs.

Audio CDRs are designed to be written to 'in real time'. These were the
only CDRs that I could find a couple of years ago that would work with my
old Yamaha CD writer. However now I create the image on my RiscPC and burn
it on a PC.

Alan

--
--. --. --. --. : : --- --- ----------------------------
|_| |_| | _ | | | | |_ | alan....@argonet.co.uk
| | |\ | | | | |\| | | alan....@riscos.org
| | | \ |_| |_| | | |__ | Using an Acorn RiscPC

Stuart

unread,
Mar 28, 2007, 1:14:25 PM3/28/07
to
> Even if you manage to buy slow discs.

Audio discs. Hi-Fi recorders burn at 1x. The price premium seems almost
nothing these days.

--
Stuart Winsor

From is valid but subject to change without notice if it gets spammed.

For Barn dances and folk evenings in the Coventry and Warwickshire area
See: http://www.barndance.org.uk

Steffen Huber

unread,
Mar 28, 2007, 2:23:17 PM3/28/07
to
aw2...@gmail.com wrote:
> Just trying out CD Burn and not getting very far. I put a CD-RW in,
> drag a directory to the "layout data" window, click on "write CD on
> the fly", then write, the CD seems to record (red light on), ejects
> but when I try to access it again I get "not an audio track" or "CD-
> ROM empty".
>
> I've tried this with new CD-RW's, blanked CD-RWs and with simulation
> on or off. What am I doing wrong?

You have also emailed me, but for the benefit of others who are reading
here, I am replying here.

First of all, a useful error report for that kind of problem
should include at least the following information:
- type of drive
- type of machine
- OS version used
- CDBurn version used
- type of media used (brand, speed)

It would also be useful to know if you have been able to write
CD-Rs successfully. This would be my preferred next step for
analyzing the problem - if it works with CD-Rs, a lot of the
possible error scenarios just vanish. The next best thing
would be to put the writer in a PC and confirm that it works
OK with exactly this media.

Unfortunately, from the description you give, many sources of errors
could be responsible. First of all, you could have an incompatible
drive that doesn't work properly with CDBurn, or one that doesn't work
properly on whatever interface you have connected it (I gather from
later postings that you use a Risc PC, internal IDE, and a
Microstar MS8352M, which is likely an OEM drive). Since you bought
the drive bundled with CDBurn from APDL, I judge the probability of
having an incompatible drive to be very low.

One problem might be that your Risc PC's power supply is just on the
edge of being able to supply enough power for the drive to work
properly with the medium you use. If the power supply can't deliver,
there is a surprising range of obscure errors that might happen.

Another problem might be that CDFS - for usually unknown reasons -
decides that it does not like CD-RW reading. Could you please
confirm what CDBurn's medium information window says about the
medium after writing to it. Does CDBurn manage to do an "Extract
Track"?

A common error source is to use a type of medium that your writer
does not like. For maximum compatibility, I would suggest using a
CD-RW medium which is specced for "1x-4x writing speed", this is
a good range for common RISC OS usage on a Risc PC, as it is unlikely
that you will be able to write with a higher speed, and medium
compatibility is usually best (not only writing, but also reading
on other devices). CD-RW is a lot more fuzzy than CD-R in this
respect.

What does the CDBurn configuration dialogue show inside the "Driver"
field? "Default" I suspect? We could try to create a custom driver
for your writer based on one of the Sony or Lite-On driver files
to see if this changes anything.

Have you made sure that the writing speed you used is compatible
with the medium you tried? According to the MMC standard, if the
software specifies a medium-incompatible speed, the drive should
use the nearest possible speed for the medium, but many drives
are not well-behaved. CDBurn should really only provide the speeds
that the drive reports to be available, but this is not implemented
yet.

OK, that's all for now.

Steffen

--
Steffen Huber
hubersn Software - http://www.hubersn-software.com/

Steffen Huber

unread,
Mar 28, 2007, 2:31:28 PM3/28/07
to
> aw2...@gmail.com <aw2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just trying out CD Burn and not getting very far. I put a CD-RW in,
>> drag a directory to the "layout data" window, click on "write CD on
>> the fly", then write, the CD seems to record (red light on), ejects
>> but when I try to access it again I get "not an audio track" or "CD-
>> ROM empty".
>
> I don't think that program works very reliably. I've ruined a dozen or
> more CD-R and only managed to get one or two useable discs.

As long as the hardware is OK (machine, cabling, drive, power supply,
medium), CDBurn is extremely reliable. I have written nearly 10000 CDs
and DVDs to date, basically without any ruined disc.

If your hardware is either unreliable or not compatible, don't
blame the software.

Jim Lesurf

unread,
Mar 28, 2007, 12:19:59 PM3/28/07
to
In article <4ecab61a82...@argonet.co.uk>, Alan P Dawes

<alan....@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <4eca4f...@spamnet.co.uk>, jl <j...@spamnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <4eca4f...@ukgateway.net>, Dave Symes
> > <d...@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> > > I forsee a problem...

> > > If you burn on both A RO machine and a PC, buying just slow disks is
> > > kind of going to hamper your PC burning somewhat. ;-)

> > Even if you manage to buy slow discs.

> Audio CDRs are designed to be written to 'in real time'. These were the
> only CDRs that I could find a couple of years ago that would work with
> my old Yamaha CD writer. However now I create the image on my RiscPC and
> burn it on a PC.

I also used to use Audio CDRs with CDBurn when I used a RPC. However since
changing to an Iyonix (and a different writer) I can't get the system to
write slowly enough for these to work. If I set a speed below x4 the writer
ignores the setting and runs at x4 regardless of the setting or the type of
disc I am using. Hence I now use 'data' CDRs for CD audio.

The snag is that the discs that write well at higher speed then don't
always play correctly on all of the audio CD players I use.

The problem seems to be that the CD writer I now have refuses to write
slowly enough to write onto the discs optimised for use in audio players.
But when using discs which can cope with a minimum write speed of x4 that
the writer is prepared to use, the results have a lower modulation depth
when read, making the results difficult for some audio players to read.

But so far as I can tell, none of this is the responsibility of CDBurn or
CDVDBurn. The old drive I used with my RPC was a Plextor via SCSI, but with
the Iyonix I am using a Sony IIRC.

Which makes me wonder:

Are there Plextor writers I could use with Iyonix that *do* allow you to
actually use speeds lower than x4, and so write OK onto CDR discs optimised
for use for audio players?

Or is there a way to force the drive I have to write slower?

Slainte,

Jim

--
Electronics http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html

jl

unread,
Mar 29, 2007, 3:20:14 AM3/29/07
to
In article <56vqk1F...@mid.individual.net>,

I bought the stuff brand new as a package (100 ukp), so I assume it is
reliable.
But these days one never knows.

Alan Calder

unread,
Mar 29, 2007, 8:01:10 AM3/29/07
to

From my experience, Jochen, CDBurn is very reliable. I have written over a
hundred CD-Rs with it with no problems. Using the cheap PC World own brand
cds.

Cheers

Alan

--
Alan Calder, Milton Keynes, UK.

Dave Plowman (News)

unread,
Mar 29, 2007, 9:33:48 AM3/29/07
to
> I bought the stuff brand new as a package (100 ukp), so I assume it is
> reliable.
> But these days one never knows.

But was the package installed by the dealer?

--
*Great groups from little icons grow *

aw2...@gmail.com

unread,
Mar 29, 2007, 3:01:46 PM3/29/07
to

Well I tried the CD-RW I'd recorded with CDFS filename translations on
a PC today but it just thought it was empty. I wasunder the
impression that this form of write would be recognised? The drive was
rewritable and I'm sure it was Windows XP. What is causing this?

Andrew

jl

unread,
Mar 29, 2007, 12:44:46 PM3/29/07
to
In article <4ecb2806a6...@orpheusmail.co.uk>,
Alan Calder <alan_...@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:


> From my experience, Jochen, CDBurn is very reliable. I have written
> over a hundred CD-Rs with it with no problems. Using the cheap PC World
> own brand cds.

I usually use Infiniti disc because I can print onto them directly, but
for the RiscPC setup I bought a variety of different discs in order to
experiment. I have had very poor results Some discs would at least store
up to about 400k of backup data, most of the others just reported an error
message and were spoiled.

jl

unread,
Mar 29, 2007, 12:47:53 PM3/29/07
to
In article <4ecb308...@davenoise.co.uk>,

Dave Plowman (News) <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <4ecb0e...@spamnet.co.uk>,
> jl <j...@spamnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > I bought the stuff brand new as a package (100 ukp), so I assume it is
> > reliable.
> > But these days one never knows.

> But was the package installed by the dealer?

You can call me a sort of honorary dealer.

David Holden

unread,
Mar 30, 2007, 1:38:49 AM3/30/07
to

I'm not sure what you mean by 'CDFS filename translation'. If you create a
'normal' ISO format CD then it should be readable on any platform. If you
use the appropriate 'dot extensions' then the files should be readable on
(almost) any platform, assuming that the filetypes themselves are recognised
by that platform, eg. txt, jpg, gif, etc.

Of course, if you've just used Acorn filetypes then the CD will only be
useable on a machine which can recognise them, ie. another RISC OS machine.

Message has been deleted

Steffen Huber

unread,
Mar 30, 2007, 6:21:44 AM3/30/07
to

If you had "Add Joliet extensions" ticked, either your PC hardware is
not capable of reading the medium correctly (which is not too
unlikely, seeing the problems you had writing it!), or it is
somehow configured to take CD-RWs as "random writable media" and
therefore ignores the things in ISO9660 format on it.

If you had not ticked "Add Joliet extensions", you have probably
not produced a PC-readable medium, as there will be PC incompatible
filenames on it.

aw2...@gmail.com

unread,
Mar 30, 2007, 8:13:33 AM3/30/07
to

I think it must have been the PC because I had joliet extensions
ticked and the filename translation standard was Acorn CDFS which I
understand is compatible with PCs? The files were 10 jpegs and all
have /jpg extensions on the CDFS display. What is the function of
"random writable media"?

Andrew

Alan Griffin

unread,
Mar 30, 2007, 8:19:30 AM3/30/07
to
In article <4ecb41...@spamnet.co.uk>,

jl <j...@spamnet.co.uk> wrote:
> I usually use Infiniti disc because I can print onto them directly, but
> for the RiscPC setup I bought a variety of different discs in order to
> experiment. I have had very poor results Some discs would at least
> store up to about 400k of backup data, most of the others just reported
> an error message and were spoiled.

I've never had any problems with CD Burn.
I normally buy discs from Maplins when they're on offer (about 15 pounds
for a hundred) and I've never had a failure!

Alan Griffin


Donald

unread,
Apr 1, 2007, 1:58:40 PM4/1/07
to

> Jochen
I bought my drive from CJE I am not an expert at such things but it works
every time without fail.
Donald

Liz Leyden

unread,
Apr 3, 2007, 5:38:00 AM4/3/07
to
In message <4eccd441...@freeuk.com>
Donald <sco...@freeuk.com> wrote:

> I bought my drive from CJE I am not an expert at such things but it works
> every time without fail.
> Donald
>

Likewise, except that mine doesn't.

Slainte

Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos
Photo Gallery:
http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/gallery.asp?memberID=165111

Liz Leyden

unread,
Apr 3, 2007, 5:33:44 AM4/3/07
to
In message <4eca4f...@ukgateway.net>
Dave Symes <d...@ukgateway.net> wrote:

>> On 27 Mar 2007 Dave Barnett <nos...@davebarnett.me.uk> wrote:
>> > I found that unless the CD-RWs are specified to work at 4x speed, you
>> > will not get reliable recording or none at all. Fortunately, my son
>> > has a PeeCee :-) or should that be :-(
>

>> If you can only burn slowly, buy the discs closest to that speed, rather
>> than more expensive higher speed ones. That goes for all types of CDs
>> and DVDs.
>

>> ---druck


>
> I forsee a problem...
>
> If you burn on both A RO machine and a PC, buying just slow disks is kind
> of going to hamper your PC burning somewhat. ;-)

My solution (having eventually discovered I'd been sold a CD-burner
together with CDBurn, but the burner hadn't been tested with the prog)
was to shift just about every sort of work to the PC.

Dave Plowman (News)

unread,
Apr 3, 2007, 1:45:15 PM4/3/07
to
In article <1b19aecd...@liz13.uklinux.net>,

Liz Leyden <l...@liz13.uklinux.net> wrote:
> > I bought my drive from CJE I am not an expert at such things but it
> > works every time without fail.
> > Donald
> >
> Likewise, except that mine doesn't.

I find it hard to believe CJE would have sold you an unsuitable CD writer.

--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Dave Symes

unread,
Apr 3, 2007, 2:50:36 PM4/3/07
to
In article <30b5adcd...@liz13.uklinux.net>,
Liz Leyden <l...@liz13.uklinux.net> wrote:

Dave the Grumpy old B' wrote:
> > I forsee a problem...
> >
> > If you burn on both A RO machine and a PC, buying just slow disks is
> > kind of going to hamper your PC burning somewhat. ;-)

> My solution (having eventually discovered I'd been sold a CD-burner
> together with CDBurn, but the burner hadn't been tested with the prog)
> was to shift just about every sort of work to the PC.

> Slainte
> Liz

Indeedy Liz, if you've got something like Nero or similar, it's easy peasy.

Word of Vista warning though, Nero 6 doesn't play with Vista (Issues) so
you need to update to version 7

Cheers
Dave S

--

jl

unread,
Apr 4, 2007, 4:04:03 AM4/4/07
to
In article <30b5adcd...@liz13.uklinux.net>,
Liz Leyden <l...@liz13.uklinux.net> wrote:


> My solution (having eventually discovered I'd been sold a CD-burner
> together with CDBurn, but the burner hadn't been tested with the prog)
> was to shift just about every sort of work to the PC.

That's what I had to do.

jl

unread,
Apr 4, 2007, 4:05:18 AM4/4/07
to
In article <4ecddab...@davenoise.co.uk>,

Dave Plowman (News) <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <1b19aecd...@liz13.uklinux.net>,
> Liz Leyden <l...@liz13.uklinux.net> wrote:
> > > I bought my drive from CJE I am not an expert at such things but it
> > > works every time without fail.
> > > Donald
> > >
> > Likewise, except that mine doesn't.

> I find it hard to believe CJE would have sold you an unsuitable CD
> writer.


I don't. Like Liz I bought a complete package and have had very little
success.

Ray Dawson

unread,
Apr 4, 2007, 8:25:41 AM4/4/07
to
jl <j...@spamnet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <4ecddab...@davenoise.co.uk>,
> Dave Plowman (News) <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <1b19aecd...@liz13.uklinux.net>,
> > Liz Leyden <l...@liz13.uklinux.net> wrote:
> > > > I bought my drive from CJE I am not an expert at such things but
it
> > > > works every time without fail.
> > > > Donald
> > > >
> > > Likewise, except that mine doesn't.
>
> > I find it hard to believe CJE would have sold you an unsuitable CD
> > writer.
>
> I don't. Like Liz I bought a complete package and have had very little
> success.

Or me. I bought a complete package of CD burner and software from the
Acorn company in Cambridge, whose name I can't remember, and never managed
to burn one CD with it. I bought CDBurn to see if that would work, but
didn't have a lot of success with that either.

Something like £200 wasted.

Cheers,

Ray D

Kevin Wells

unread,
Apr 4, 2007, 10:51:11 AM4/4/07
to
In message <4ece29...@spamnet.co.uk>
jl <j...@spamnet.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <4ecddab...@davenoise.co.uk>,
> Dave Plowman (News) <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <1b19aecd...@liz13.uklinux.net>,
>> Liz Leyden <l...@liz13.uklinux.net> wrote:
>> > > I bought my drive from CJE I am not an expert at such things but it
>> > > works every time without fail.
>> > > Donald
>> > >
>> > Likewise, except that mine doesn't.
>
>> I find it hard to believe CJE would have sold you an unsuitable CD
>> writer.
>
>
>I don't. Like Liz I bought a complete package and have had very little
>success.
>
>Jochen
>

When my CD rewriter was working I found that burning at the maximum
speed of the CD Disc or worked better than burning at 1x or 2x.

I had failure at 1x and 2x but at 12x it seemed to work all the time.

--
Kev Wells http://kevsoft.topcities.com
http://kevsoft.co.uk/
ICQ 238580561
Real Stupidity beat Artificial Intelligence 11 times out of 10.

Chris Ward

unread,
Apr 4, 2007, 9:22:09 AM4/4/07
to
In article <gemini.jfz3us0...@magray.freeserve.co.uk>, Ray Dawson

Similarly with Me.

I think the comapnys name went with ##### and some fables.

I spent a long time with them, SA and various clashes.
Its sat in my computer - not connected.
Again 200UKP of wasted riscos money.

Chris
--
If Carlsberg made computers, they would say that:

RiscOS technology with ARM chips make:


'.... the best Computer System in the world.... '

Alan Calder

unread,
Apr 4, 2007, 1:07:55 PM4/4/07
to
In article <ant04130...@zetnet.net>, Chris Ward <kr...@zetnet.co.uk>
wrote:

> In article <gemini.jfz3us0...@magray.freeserve.co.uk>, Ray
> Dawson <URL:mailto:r...@magray.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> > jl <j...@spamnet.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <4ecddab...@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News)
> > > <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> > >
> > > I don't. Like Liz I bought a complete package and have had very
> > > little success.
> >
> > Or me. I bought a complete package of CD burner and software from the
> > Acorn company in Cambridge, whose name I can't remember, and never
> > managed to burn one CD with it. I bought CDBurn to see if that would
> > work, but didn't have a lot of success with that either.

[Snip]

> Similarly with Me.

> I think the comapnys name went with ##### and some fables.

> I spent a long time with them, SA and various clashes. Its sat in my
> computer - not connected. Again 200UKP of wasted riscos money.

Well you have all been very unlucky. I bought mine from CJE and it has
always just worked - once I got the hang of putting in the empty disks the
right way up!

Dave Plowman (News)

unread,
Apr 4, 2007, 2:04:16 PM4/4/07
to
In article <gemini.jfz3us0...@magray.freeserve.co.uk>,

> Something like £200 wasted.

Why didn't you demand your money back?

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Ray Dawson

unread,
Apr 4, 2007, 2:33:06 PM4/4/07
to
"Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <gemini.jfz3us0...@magray.freeserve.co.uk>,
> Ray Dawson <r...@magray.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> > jl <j...@spamnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > In article <4ecddab...@davenoise.co.uk>,
> > > Dave Plowman (News) <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > > > In article <1b19aecd...@liz13.uklinux.net>,
> > > > Liz Leyden <l...@liz13.uklinux.net> wrote:
> > > > > > I bought my drive from CJE I am not an expert at such things
> > > > > > but it works every time without fail. Donald
> > > > > >
> > > > > Likewise, except that mine doesn't.
> > >
> > > > I find it hard to believe CJE would have sold you an unsuitable CD
> > > > writer.
> > >
> > > I don't. Like Liz I bought a complete package and have had very
> > > little success.
>
> > Or me. I bought a complete package of CD burner and software from the
> > Acorn company in Cambridge, whose name I can't remember, and never
> > managed to burn one CD with it. I bought CDBurn to see if that would
> > work, but didn't have a lot of success with that either.
>
> > Something like £200 wasted.
>
> Why didn't you demand your money back?
>

I did, but they came up with all sorts of excuses why it was the fault of
my machine, including the fact that my 2 slice power supply wouldn't
support it. In the end they disappeared from view and stopped answering
the telephone.

I seem to get caught by all the crooks on the RISC OS scene :-(

Cheers,

Ray D

Alan Griffin

unread,
Apr 4, 2007, 3:47:38 PM4/4/07
to
In article <4ece5b1fe2...@orpheusmail.co.uk>,

Alan Calder <alan_...@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Well you have all been very unlucky. I bought mine from CJE and it has
> always just worked - once I got the hang of putting in the empty disks
> the right way up!

Mine has never failed, either for data or audio!
Alan Griffin


David

unread,
Apr 4, 2007, 4:17:07 PM4/4/07
to
In message <4ece5b1fe2...@orpheusmail.co.uk>
Alan Calder <alan_...@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:

And me - always worked (Iyonix) and then bought a DVD drive in Hong
Kong to replace the worn out CD drive, again no problems at all.
--
Dave Wisnia, Leeds, UK


Graham Pickles

unread,
Apr 4, 2007, 4:16:20 PM4/4/07
to

My experience is the same as Alan's regarding CD burner. Again I bought
my system from CJE as part of my Iyonix and am burning CDs with no
trouble several times a week. The CDs are mainly of images for the
museum where I work.

Regards,

--
Graham Pickles Running an Iyonix
Whitby Museum http://www.whitbymuseum.org.uk
Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now - Steven Wright

Dave Plowman (News)

unread,
Apr 4, 2007, 5:58:58 PM4/4/07
to