VRPC

Alexander Ausserstorfer

Feb 1, 2014, 3:06:19 PM2/1/14
Using VRPC for some years now, I find that it is really ugly: the PC
consums a lot of power, and Windows often kicks RISC OS out of his
full-screen-mode.

A.

--
Sent wirelessly from RISC OS
http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/

John

Feb 2, 2014, 5:41:58 AM2/2/14
In article <2d1f4ed...@bavariasound.chiemgau-net.de>,
Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavari...@chiemgau-net.de>
wrote:

> Using VRPC for some years now, I find that it is really
> ugly:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I find
that I can achieve a more attractive desktop in VRPC than I
can on my Raspberry Pi.

> the PC consums a lot of power,

It depends upon how you define "a lot". I find that the
sound of the cooling fan on my desktop machine is more
intrusive when VRPC is running - but that's only to be
expected when you think about how hard the program makes
the processor work.

> and Windows often kicks RISC OS out of his full-screen
> mode.

Is that the fault of VRPC?

John

--
John
new...@blueyonder.co.uk

Steve Fryatt

Feb 2, 2014, 6:55:49 AM2/2/14
On 2014-02-02, John <new...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <2d1f4ed...@bavariasound.chiemgau-net.de>,
> Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavari...@chiemgau-net.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Using VRPC for some years now, I find that it is really
>> ugly:
>
> Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I find
> that I can achieve a more attractive desktop in VRPC than I
> can on my Raspberry Pi.

I think "ugly" was meant in the sense of what follows, not "prettiness" of
the desktop.

>> the PC consums a lot of power,
>
> It depends upon how you define "a lot". I find that the
> sound of the cooling fan on my desktop machine is more
> intrusive when VRPC is running - but that's only to be
> expected when you think about how hard the program makes
> the processor work.

Does VRPC not drop processor usage right back when RISC OS is idle, in the
way that recent versions of RPCemu do? That change made a *huge* difference
to laptop battery life when running RCPemu.

>> and Windows often kicks RISC OS out of his full-screen
>> mode.
>
> Is that the fault of VRPC?

Possibly; it depends on whether it's something that VRPC is doing wrong or
not, doesn't it?

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England Wakefield Acorn & RISC OS Show
Saturday 26 April 2014

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Feb 2, 2014, 7:34:31 AM2/2/14
Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

>On 2014-02-02, John <new...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <2d1f4ed...@bavariasound.chiemgau-net.de>,
>> Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavari...@chiemgau-net.de>
>> wrote:

>>> and Windows often kicks RISC OS out of his full-screen
>>> mode.
>>
>> Is that the fault of VRPC?
>
>Possibly; it depends on whether it's something that VRPC is doing wrong or
>not, doesn't it?

In my experience it was usually alerts from a/v or firewall software that
caused that sort of thing. I have a feeling that apps like that normally
have a "Games mode" in which they can be configured not to interrupt any
full-screen application... because gamers hate the interruptions too. That
would rather suggest that it's not VRPC's fault any more than it would be
the fault of a typical game.

I 'solved' the problem by not running VRPC full-screen; instead I ran it in
a window that took up about 98% of the available screen area. I wanted to
know if my a/v or firewall software was trying to attract my attention! It
also made it easier to work between the 2 OSes, when eg I could have a
relevant Windows Explorer window open and its title bar just visible in the
narrow band of screen space not occupied by the VRPC window, so it could be
clicked on to bring it to the fore.

In VRPC I used the Boot -> Configure -> Modes (IIRC, or is it Display?)
option to create a virtual screen mode that was the size of the
almost-full-screen window that worked best for me, and although I didn't
start RO using that mode, as soon as the desktop had got going I issued the
relevant star command to change the emulated screen to that size.

to newsre...@wingsandbeaks.org.uk replacing "aaa" by "284".

John

Feb 2, 2014, 7:52:41 AM2/2/14
In article <slrnlesci...@rydal.stevefryatt.org.uk>,
Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> On 2014-02-02, John <new...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article
> > <2d1f4ed...@bavariasound.chiemgau-net.de>,
> > Alexander Ausserstorfer
> > <bavari...@chiemgau-net.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Using VRPC for some years now, I find that it is
> >> really ugly:
> >
> > Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I
> > find that I can achieve a more attractive desktop in
> > VRPC than I can on my Raspberry Pi.

> I think "ugly" was meant in the sense of what follows,
> not "prettiness" of the desktop.

Perhaps I should not have taken the comment literally but
that is one of the problems of reading what other people
write, even when they are expressing themselves in a second
language.

> >> the PC consums a lot of power,
> >
> > It depends upon how you define "a lot". I find that the
> > sound of the cooling fan on my desktop machine is more
> > intrusive when VRPC is running - but that's only to be
> > expected when you think about how hard the program
> > makes the processor work.

> Does VRPC not drop processor usage right back when RISC
> OS is idle, in the way that recent versions of RPCemu
> do? That change made a *huge* difference to laptop
> battery life when running RCPemu.

I've sat looking at the screen and not interacting with
VRPC for about 15 s and, yes, the fan noise dies away
almost completely. Since I've started typing again, it's
ramped up noticeably.

> >> and Windows often kicks RISC OS out of his full-screen
> >> mode.
> >
> > Is that the fault of VRPC?

> Possibly; it depends on whether it's something that VRPC
> is doing wrong or not, doesn't it?

I think Jeremy has answered this better than my initial
thoughts would have done. I have just added VRPC to
Bitdefender's game list so that is a problem I shouldn't
have to contend with.

Stuart

Feb 2, 2014, 8:03:55 AM2/2/14
In article <mpro.n0dc9j...@wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>,
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts <jn.nntp....@wingsandbeaks.org.uk>
wrote:

> I 'solved' the problem by not running VRPC full-screen; instead I ran it
> in a window that took up about 98% of the available screen area.

I do something similar. I have a widescreen monitor running 1920x1080 and
run VRPC full-screen in 1080x1024. The Windows "taskbar" has been moved to
sit vertically down the Rh of the screen

--
Stuart Winsor

Tony Todd

Feb 2, 2014, 1:57:14 PM2/2/14
On 01/02/2014 20:06, Alexander Ausserstorfer wrote:
> Using VRPC for some years now, I find that it is really ugly: the PC
> consums a lot of power, and Windows often kicks RISC OS out of his
> full-screen-mode.
>
> A.

For what it's worth, I like VRPC. I use Artworks, Impact and O Pro a
lot. Although I have Win OPro, I use OPro on VRPC almost exclusively. So
much so that if I could find the time to organise myself I'd probably
sell my 512 Iyonix (5.18)

Tony Todd

Alexander Ausserstorfer

Feb 3, 2014, 12:48:25 AM2/3/14
In message <53d39e4a...@blueyonder.co.uk>
John <new...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>> the PC consums a lot of power,
>
>It depends upon how you define "a lot". I find that the
>sound of the cooling fan on my desktop machine is more
>intrusive when VRPC is running - but that's only to be
>expected when you think about how hard the program makes
>the processor work.

I do know that I'm a bit studid here when I write that the Raspberry Pi
takes much less as the Windows PC here generally. But that's true.

>> and Windows often kicks RISC OS out of his full-screen
>> mode.
>
>Is that the fault of VRPC?

I didn't write that, did I? If it belongs to VRPC or not doesn't change
the problem.

Thanks for helping and ideas, to everybody here.