Windows update being silly.

Peter Young

May 22, 2012, 9:58:21 AM5/22/12
This is with Windows XP Home SP3. I am at present installing these
Windows updates:
KB2572073
KB2633800
KB2518864
for the third time! Each time I try to install them, I get the
"Installation complete" window, click on "Close", and within a minute
or so I get another invitation to install them.

It doesn't seem, this time, to want me top restart the computer, but
as soon as this install attempt is over, I will try restarting to see
if that makes any difference.

Any idea what is going wring here? It took a very long time this
morning for the updates to download (my broadband speed is slow anyway
but it was like swimming though treacle this morning). Could the
updates have been corrupted?

TIA,

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter \ / zfc Hf \ Prestbury, Cheltenham, Glos. GL52
and \/ __ __ \ England.

Peter Young

May 22, 2012, 10:54:40 AM5/22/12
On 22 May 2012 Peter Young <pny...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

Sorry, wrong group. I shall now engage my brain and try again!

charles

May 22, 2012, 11:02:10 AM5/22/12
In article <3727e2935...@pnyoung.ormail.co.uk>,
Peter Young <pny...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:
> This is with Windows XP Home SP3. I am at present installing these
> Windows updates:
> KB2572073
> KB2633800
> KB2518864
> for the third time! Each time I try to install them, I get the
> "Installation complete" window, click on "Close", and within a minute
> or so I get another invitation to install them.

I got this, but when I click on "insatll" I get a message saying that all 3
have been successfully installed.

> It doesn't seem, this time, to want me top restart the computer, but
> as soon as this install attempt is over, I will try restarting to see
> if that makes any difference.

I have not been asked to restart either.

> Any idea what is going wring here? It took a very long time this
> morning for the updates to download (my broadband speed is slow anyway
> but it was like swimming though treacle this morning). Could the
> updates have been corrupted?

you can get this effect when lots of others are trying to install at the
same time. Hint - do it when the USA is generally asleep.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

jeff

May 23, 2012, 2:58:22 AM5/23/12
On May 22, 2:58 pm, Peter Young <pnyo...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:
> This is with Windows XP Home SP3. I am at present installing these
> Windows updates:
> KB2572073
> KB2633800
> KB2518864
> for the third time! Each time I try to install them, I get the
> "Installation complete" window, click on "Close", and within a minute
> or so I get another invitation to install them.

Yes, some of us at work are getting this too. Looks like a Microsoft
screwup. What's new there then!!

Jeff

Peter Young

May 24, 2012, 3:10:00 AM5/24/12
The solution pointed to by Chris seems to work, though.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Peter Young

Dec 15, 2013, 2:09:51 PM12/15/13
On 15 Dec 2013 fretw...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:54:40 AM UTC-6, Peter Young wrote:
>> On 22 May 2012 Peter Young <pny...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

Why a reply after a year and three-quarters? Just wondering ...

With best wishes,

Peter.