Re: In praise of Ovation Pro

Ollie Clark

Jul 6, 2009, 10:42:12 AM7/6/09
Chris Evans wrote:
> In article <507573e5f5news*@Torrens.org.uk>, Richard Torrens (News)
><URL:mailto:News+...@Torrens.org.uk> wrote:
>> In article <na.797bf8507...@orpheusmail.co.uk>,
>> Mr John FO Evans <mi...@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Oh Why Oh WHY is so much PC software so badly written and slow. Why does it
>> > need such vast machine resources?
>>
>> Built-in obsolescence.
>>
>> It sells new hardware and new software.
>>
>> Windows is really a huge machine for rendering itself obsolete!
>>
>> One has to take one's hat off to the clever way Microsoft have done
>> that.
>
> I think your ascribing more intelligence to them than they deserve, I wonder
> how much was deliberate.
> They have no direct commercial interest in hardware sales!

Er, I think you'll find almost all manufacturers pay the "windows tax" every
time they sell a machine...

But this is advocacy really so FUs set appropriately.

Tim Hill

Jul 11, 2009, 6:36:35 AM7/11/09
In article <slrnh543a4...@greedy.zen175545>, Ollie Clark

<use...@ollieclark.com> wrote:
> Chris Evans wrote:
> > In article <507573e5f5news*@Torrens.org.uk>, Richard Torrens (News)
> ><URL:mailto:News+...@Torrens.org.uk> wrote:

Libraries.

Badly written libraries.

> >> Built-in obsolescence.

Hmm. They only need to last as long as new technology comes along and
replaces it.

> >> It sells new hardware and new software.
> >>
> >> Windows is really a huge machine for rendering itself obsolete!
> >>
> >> One has to take one's hat off to the clever way Microsoft have done
> >> that.

[Snip]

> > I think your ascribing more intelligence to them than they deserve, I
> > wonder how much was deliberate. They have no direct commercial
> > interest in hardware sales!

> Er, I think you'll find almost all manufacturers pay the "windows tax"
> every time they sell a machine...

Not only that but I remember Bill Gates/Microsoft making a huge
investment in a hard drive manufacturer some years ago. Damn'd if I can
find a reference to it with Google - was it a dream?