RISC OS browser group

Ron

Oct 3, 2009, 8:27:35 PM10/3/09
The www and browsers is a large part of computing today.
I am wondering why we dont have a news group for the purpose of
RISC OS browsers, a place where people can discuss their www problems
and for general education.
It could also act favourably for filtering real problems which could be
forwarded to the appropriate browser support groups. I think that csa
applications is fat enough and would survive and maybe better off
without browser related stuff, though this isn't my motivation for the
suggestion.

Ron M

Peter Naulls

Oct 3, 2009, 8:43:07 PM10/3/09

Perhaps, and I understand your point, but there's only 2 browsers with
any kind of real development on RISC OS; and they both have their own
appropriate mailing lists. It's not clear that there would be anything
to gain from combining their issues along with those users persisting
with the other 10 or so browsers which have long since ceased development.

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Oct 3, 2009, 8:46:58 PM10/3/09
Ron <be...@woosh.co.nz> wrote:

> The www and browsers is a large part of computing today.

> I am wondering why we dont have a news group ...

Browsers are application software, and thus discussion of them fits quite
naturally into the remit of

comp.sys.acorn.apps

Apart from that, setting up a usenet newsgroup is non-trivial. They only
work if they are properly defined to all (or at leat some) news servers. In
the UK there's a formal process for this. More info in the newsgroup:

uk.net.news.announce

On the other hand, mail-lists can be set up by anyone. They tend to
proliferate wildly, though the obvious drawback is that people who don't
know that a specific one exists can't generally find it.

to newsre...@wingsandbeaks.org.uk replacing "nnn" by "284".

Peter Naulls

Oct 3, 2009, 9:01:26 PM10/3/09
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

> On the other hand, mail-lists can be set up by anyone. They tend to
> proliferate wildly, though the obvious drawback is that people who don't
> know that a specific one exists can't generally find it.

Probably not up to date, and some nice PHP errors, but:

Also:

Ron

Oct 4, 2009, 2:18:41 AM10/4/09
In message <ha8s59$461$1...@news.eternal-september.org>
Peter Naulls <pe...@chocky.org> wrote:

Yes, but the smaller ones come and go, die out quite a lot.
A central spot for WWW apps would be good, but it sounds like starting a
proper group is a problem.

Ron M

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Oct 4, 2009, 11:29:09 AM10/4/09
Ron <be...@woosh.co.nz> wrote:

> Yes, but the smaller ones come and go, die out quite a lot. A central spot
> for WWW apps would be good, but it sounds like starting a proper group is
> a problem.

There's already a group for apps, called comp.sys.acorn.apps

If you think there should be a separate one for browsers, would you also
have separate groups for mail clients, news clients, DTP programs, image
manipulation apps, and so forth? Why?

As it is, if people have a WWW problem that's clearly a connectivity issue
rather than the app itself, they can discuss it on

comp.sys.acorn.networking

It's not as if there's so much traffic on any csa group these days.

Ron

Oct 4, 2009, 9:16:28 PM10/4/09
In message <gemini.kqzxo...@wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts<jn.nntp....@wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:

> Ron <be...@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > Yes, but the smaller ones come and go, die out quite a lot. A central spot
> > for WWW apps would be good, but it sounds like starting a proper group is
> > a problem.
>
> There's already a group for apps, called comp.sys.acorn.apps
>
> If you think there should be a separate one for browsers, would you also
> have separate groups for mail clients, news clients, DTP programs, image
> manipulation apps, and so forth? Why?

I think mail and news would fall into a WWW/Internet category, All the
internet apps may share security concerns, ISP's, and possibly people
keep them in the same folder.
Maybe a group called Internet, 'browsers' *is* a bit specific
The microsoft and probably google, WWW integrated seamlessly into your
desktop experience might be a parallel here?

> As it is, if people have a WWW problem that's clearly a connectivity issue
> rather than the app itself, they can discuss it on
>
> comp.sys.acorn.networking
>
> It's not as if there's so much traffic on any csa group these days.

And they are always helpful, no problems.
I haven't got a big beef about this, just sort of looking at it and
making conclusions.
I guess the place for a browser would be csa networking because it is
handling network packets to do the job, but the user i/o is an
application.
For example an 'Exporting Drawfiles' issue would go to csa apps, and an
https issue would go to csa networking.

I'm not sure where 'copper coins changing to steel' would go. :=)
The good thing is you can now keep a magnet in your pocket to stop the
coins rolling out when you sit on the couch ;-)

Ron M

Tim Hill

Oct 7, 2009, 9:10:12 AM10/7/09
In article <gemini.kqysu...@wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>,

wrote:
> On the other hand, mail-lists can be set up by anyone.

Indeed. With Pluto you can even host your own.

However, there are rumblings on usenet that there are far too many forums
already. Discussion in some professions has already become fragmented
with even manufacturers having discussion boards or mailing lists for
particular products and niche interests on web boards generating cliques
rather than clicks.

Please don't start new discussions elsewhere but work to close all the
web-based (i.e. dreadful) discussion groups which abound. Please
encourage everyone to usenet which is okay just so long as you plonk the
people you perceive as idiots and don't use the Google Groups interface
which smells.

Obviously, I don't necessarily include the RISC OS specific sites in the
catch-all "the web-based (i.e. dreadful) discussion groups". :-)

Peter Naulls

Oct 7, 2009, 11:42:52 AM10/7/09
Tim Hill wrote:
> In article <gemini.kqysu...@wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>,
> Jeremy Nicoll - news posts <jn.nntp....@wingsandbeaks.org.uk>
> wrote:
>> On the other hand, mail-lists can be set up by anyone.
>
> Indeed. With Pluto you can even host your own.
>
> However, there are rumblings on usenet that there are far too many forums
> already. Discussion in some professions has already become fragmented
> with even manufacturers having discussion boards or mailing lists for
> particular products and niche interests on web boards generating cliques
> rather than clicks.

Agree. And besides, many of the RISC OS mailing lists have zero or
little traffic these days. Some of these might be merged or closed.

> Please don't start new discussions elsewhere but work to close all the
> web-based (i.e. dreadful) discussion groups which abound. Please
> encourage everyone to usenet which is okay just so long as you plonk the
> people you perceive as idiots and don't use the Google Groups interface
> which smells.
>
> Obviously, I don't necessarily include the RISC OS specific sites in the
> catch-all "the web-based (i.e. dreadful) discussion groups". :-)

Well, there are only a couple of such RISC OS forums which are web
based. The most obvious is the one on iconbar.com, but that indeed is
very cliquey. There's the ROOL one, which works reasonably well
(but with some annoyances). The riscos.info news is actually forum
software, which was very convenient, but I stopped short of creating
yet another separate forum there.

Naturally, people who read usenet may well be inclined to argue for
it, but there's something to be said about web-based systems in not
needing another piece of software (unless you used Google Groups, etc),
to access what is now something of an obscure and aging technology
only us internet oldies still use.