bang-dot-bang-dot listing of developers available?

Gneen

Oct 29, 2021, 3:42:35 PM10/29/21
If anyone has a working box, can you please type in a "!.!." and forward the list of developer names that is generated? (the first bang (!) escaped to the shell and "catted" the "hidden" file .!. (dot-bang-dot) as I recall)

I was on the AT&T development team back in the 1980's (Juniper Plaza in Freehold, NJ) and remember the time and the team fondly. The roll-out was an exciting time, but I also remember a room full of discarded 7300's at Lincroft in the 1990's that made me very sad.

Fred Hicinbothem ... AT&T Labs retiree

Phil Pemberton

Oct 29, 2021, 7:56:55 PM10/29/21
I think Jesse Booth found this one by accident last year ... it's quite
well hidden!

The easter egg is implemented with an executable program called
/usr/bin/.!.
This reads a file called /usr/installed/.list, which contains the list
of names. I've included the full list at the end of this message.

If you're interested in playing with the 3B1 again, I wrote an emulator
which several other people have cleaned up and significantly improved.
You can grab it from https://github.com/philpem/freebee :)

I'd love to make some improvements to the 3.51 OS (especially hard drive
handling) but alas, sadly the 3.51 sources don't seem to have survived.

And now the list ... it's a long one! "wc -l" says there are 241 names.

sheila mallela
sally muscarella
charlie fiorella
kathrine rivera
neil nota
joe kua
steve robb
mary lamb
vern isaac
matt balkovic
teresa craighead
carl held
rod sheffield
lynda lund
miller wood
george sherwood
don rice
renee price
jane price
norman lee
rich lee
byron yee
eric savage
bruce corbridge
gene plagge
kurt kanaskie
warren wiltsie
art blake
david klitzke
lam le
don de courcelle
irwin fine
sharon krause
catherine chocolate
jim white
dave gigante
frank vigilante
ann laporte
betty courte
lin howe
doug dye
charles kappauf
laverne hoag
george koenig
flora ng
yoon chang
kristine wang
leslie gerding
william king
larry dooling
mary lou whiting
debra leong
raymond gong
tan duong
steve nurenberg
raisa wesenberg
david sternberg
mark emmerich
narinder singh
mac binesh
lee smith
mark smith
larry goldsmith
john wei
salvatore sergi
joe braski
kevin zaleski
ralph costantini
chris silveri
janet rudenjak
bill black
gerry pasternack
marlene novack
paul beck
arlene ploshnick
mark malek
ed bank
sue bartok
jon bork
john levchuk
pedro mirabal
david neal
richard lowenthal
debra lobel
tim tschinkel
mark crandall
linda campbell
esther odonnel
tom cantwell
bill lapham
bill putnam
samuel tam
fred hicinbothem
maria cherem
rich hamm
bob schramm
oren bloom
lenny greenbaum
jenny shum
alan kashdan
cindy molchan
fred kiremidjian
john macmillan
bill stockman
will vroman
mitch silverman
bob glossman
stuart kreitman
dan oberrotman
steve bauman
kevin redden
jack van breen
bob green
jay petersen
bo sjosten
bob haven
huy nguyen
eric hahn
mona keehn
john corbin
john hildin
rick larkin
cp lin
danny lin
mary severin
patty mann
helmuth bachmann
dale lynn
jack scanlon
terry jacobson
lil nelson
paul nelson
pat carlson
kathy hanson
andy johnson
ed empson
tom r. thompson
tommy h. thompson
dennis anderson
carol henderson
barbara peterson
polly patterson
earl ferguson
diane leighton
roy lipton
nadine pinkerton
herb burton
scott burton
allienne hairston
fred zucker
joyce ruocchio
bill d'zio
abel lo
john guarino
willie colon-castro
tony di pilato
jack lear
don weber
paul harinder
dot snyder
ted shaffer
joe gallagher
fred zucker
pauline alker
robert feddeler
chris wagner
carol furchner
jim faulkner
mike klepner
lloyd wisner
jerry carpenter
jay gunter
mary webster
martin hester
betty forster
dave baxter
don baxter
bob sauer
steve thayer
rudite emir
mark dakur
cheryl sinauskas
bob erdies
jennifer gaines
steven keyes
william menezes
john cummings
joe alonis
greg devalois
eric norris
jim dicks
craig fredericks
ron mills
pat dowens
kris saunders
pat somers
doug niehaus
dwayne shows
jim bennet
diane goot
alan lambert
elliot rappaport
donna prust
bill patchett
ed jarrett
kris dalebout
raj babu
cary liu
ray hou
hon yu
dave abbajay
mike zboray
bill libby
keith palmby
paul newby
beth clancy
mike clancy
mike ody
debbie alley
don wormley
joyce crowley
jean haney
gary kenney
doug mooney
james tierney
allen kasey
fred dewey
dan jurafsky
ed lipinsky
bert keely
karen meloy
larry geary
starla perry
pat curry
sue woodbury
barbara rafferty
charlotte volz
henry gurbisz
marty katz
jo-lynn jacobovitz
tom schwartz

Cheers,
--
Phil.
phi...@philpem.me.uk

J Booth

Dec 11, 2021, 1:14:09 AM12/11/21
On Friday, October 29, 2021 at 3:42:35 PM UTC-4, fred wrote:
> If anyone has a working box, can you please type in a "!.!." and forward the list of developer names that is generated? (the first bang (!) escaped to the shell and "catted" the "hidden" file .!. (dot-bang-dot) as I recall)
>
> I was on the AT&T development team back in the 1980's (Juniper Plaza in Freehold, NJ) and remember the time and the team fondly. The roll-out was an exciting time, but I also remember a room full of discarded 7300's at Lincroft in the 1990's that made me very sad.

Cool to see your name in the credits Fred!

A room full of discarded 7300's sounds like a horror show. I first encountered a UNIX PC while talking a college course back in 1992. My buddy and I so wanted to get on a Unix machine but of course there was no access back then to such a thing for some teenagers. So we asked the prof if we could play around with the UNIX PC and he actually said YES, we were pretty excited and we later did a class presentation on Unix with our learnings. Hah, fun times. Phil's FreeBee emulator brought back a lot of good memories of using that UNIX PC.

PS- if anyone has an Ethernet card for a UNIX PC, I'm still looking for one!

Jesse