panic: init died

Jonathan Peart

Sep 14, 2020, 3:57:33 PM9/14/20
I finally got a game transferred to my 7300 using Umodem. I started the game (Klondike) and clicked on a card. The computer started making weird beeps and spit out a ton of garbage characters to the screen. It was hard locked up and I had to reboot it. I think I pushed the reset button in the back.

Now the computer starts up, detects the hard drive, goes about 20-30 seconds more in the boot process and then hangs with "panic: init died". I put in my diagnostics floppy and ran the CPU, memory and hard disk tests all successfully. Anyone here have ideas on how I can further troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

Jonathan Peart

Sep 15, 2020, 1:06:01 PM9/15/20
I could not figure out how to fix the panic init without doing a fresh install. I initialized the hard disk and did a surface scan for bad blocks. It found about 8 more before completing. I then re-installed the OS (version 3.0) from a set of foundation disks that came with the computer. Thank goodness these 35 year old floppy disks still work.

I transferred the klondike game via serial cable again and played it. The game was working fine and I decided to temp fate by doing what caused my problem last time. I double clicked one of the cards. Immediately I heard the beeps and tones again and the screen became corrupt. The best way I can describe it is the screen melted down the screen. It was a strange effect. I had to hit the reset button as the computer was totally locked. I was happy to see it boot back up with no errors. I don't think I'm going to try playing this card game anymore.

I had a thought that maybe klondike was corrupted in the transfer. I use the built-in umodem program on the Unix PC and minicom on my Linux laptop. Minicom comes with the xmodem protocol configured and I read that xmodem and umodem are compatible.

Aharon Robbins

Sep 15, 2020, 2:25:56 PM9/15/20
In article <92053a43-af18-4c02...@googlegroups.com>,
Jonathan Peart <jonath...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I had a thought that maybe klondike was corrupted in the transfer. I use the built-in
>umodem program on the Unix PC and minicom on my Linux laptop. Minicom comes with the
>xmodem protocol configured and I read that xmodem and umodem are compatible.

There should be a 'sum' or 'cksum' program that prints a checksum of a file,
see if it's the same on the Unix PC or on Linux.

The general advice is to look for Kermit and try to use that to transfer the file.
Or to set up and use UUCP over the serial line between the Unix PC and Linux.

Glad I was able to help with the '@' character.

Jonathan Peart

Sep 16, 2020, 9:01:49 AM9/16/20
I don't see cksum but there is a sum program. I used it in the form "sum -r <filename>" and the sums matched between the laptop on PC7300. So, doesn't look like any corruption occurred in the file transfer.

I got the source and binary from here: http://unixpc.org/3b1/osu/games/klondke.cpio.Z
The README makes mention of mouse issues when compiling with cc.
"And finally, I had trouble getting the mouse to repond properly when I
compiled it with cc. I had no problems with gcc.
I added a couple of patches, (invoked with BADMOUSE), which fixed things.
You should not need it, but it does not hurt.
You can try leaving it out if you want."

I have only used the pre-compiled binary so far. I may look at the mouse patches and try compiling it myself.

DoN. Nichols

Sep 16, 2020, 10:29:39 PM9/16/20
On 2020-09-16, Jonathan Peart <jonath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 2:25:56 PM UTC-4, Aharon Robbins wrote:
>> In article <92053a43-af18-4c02...@googlegroups.com>,
>> Jonathan Peart <jonath...@gmail.com> wrote:

[ ... ]

>> There should be a 'sum' or 'cksum' program that prints a checksum of
>> a file, see if it's the same on the Unix PC or on Linux.

> I don't see cksum but there is a sum program. I used it in the form
"sum -r <filename>" and the sums matched between the laptop on PC7300.
So, doesn't look like any corruption occurred in the file transfer.

> I got the source and binary from here: http://unixpc.org/3b1/osu/games/klondke.cpio.Z

FWIW -- the copy I have sitting on a unix system (but compiled
for the 3b1) gives the following -- with or without the "-r" option:

35518 52

cksum (on the sun) gives:

3247982539 52472 ./3B1-recovery-images/rfp002/rfp002.files/usr/games/klondike

I don't remember whether I ever ran it on the 3B1.

If you compiled it locally, then the checksum will likely be
different from what I got. I forget where I downloaded that file tree
from.

If you downloaded it in already compiled form from somewhere
else, perhaps it was corrupted in that transfer.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: <BPdnic...@d-and-d.com> | (KV4PH) Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Jonathan Peart

Sep 18, 2020, 12:33:51 PM9/18/20
Thank you Don for the checksums. Neither the sum nor checksum results match mine for klondike. I suspect we got the binary and sources from differing places.