Long time 3B1 and PC7300 user

Nick Schipani

Jun 19, 2021, 12:53:03 PM6/19/21
Hello, just a long time 3B1 and PC7300 user saying hello. Still have both machines, and they work. Located in Ontario, Canada.

J Booth

Jun 21, 2021, 12:19:22 AM6/21/21
> Hello, just a long time 3B1 and PC7300 user saying hello. Still have both machines, and they work. Located in Ontario, Canada.

Glad to hear it! Do you have any expansion boards in your machines? It seems the DOS-73 was somewhat common, and the RAM/serial boards, but the Ethernet board being quite elusive.

Anyone else have much experience with the DOS-73 board? Was the RAM on the DOS-73 board usable when the machine was booted into UNIX? I imagine the board was mostly used for running DOS business/office applications of the day?

Nick Schipani

Jun 25, 2021, 3:44:46 PM6/25/21

Just the RAM / serial board in the 3b1. I have never seen the DOS-73 running although the 3b1 / pc7300 could read and write MS-DOS disks. Quite forward thinking for it's time! Have you checked out the pc6300?

lmcelhiney

Jun 26, 2021, 10:14:44 AM6/26/21
On Friday, June 25, 2021 at 3:44:46 PM UTC-4, nicksc...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, June 21, 2021 at 12:19:22 AM UTC-4, J Booth wrote:

> > Anyone else have much experience with the DOS-73 board? ?

Hi,

I used the DOS-73 board as a true coprocessor board. It produced an inset DOS window when running. As I recall, it had complete access to the system hardware (HD, floppy, communications). It shared the busses. You could resize the DOS window, in the same way that you could resize any other window. It would run anything that would run on a monochrome monitor. It seems like there was an 8087 chip onboard as well. It was virtually equivalent to having a DOS computer of that era, side-by-side with a UNIX computer.

Larry
AC9OX

J Booth

Jul 1, 2021, 1:46:32 PM7/1/21
Yep, there was an (optional) 8087 chip socket on the DOS-73 board. That's pretty impressive you could run DOS in a window. I figured it might be something where you had to either boot to DOS or boot to UNIX. Nice that they could be used simultaneously and windowed no less.

Regarding the PC 6300, no didn't really look into that as I prefer the UNIX machines. I believe that was a PC made by Olivetti and resold by AT&T.

Jesse

Aharon Robbins

Jul 1, 2021, 2:53:58 PM7/1/21
In article <3379fc7d-4f72-4660...@googlegroups.com>,
J Booth <166s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Regarding the PC 6300, no didn't really look into that as I prefer the
>UNIX machines. I believe that was a PC made by Olivetti and resold by
>AT&T.

That is correct.
--
Aharon (Arnold) Robbins arnold AT skeeve DOT com