Disk images available

Aharon Robbins

Jan 21, 2021, 4:26:23 AM1/21/21
Hello all. I have put together a disk image with a bunch of software
preinstalled and made it available from my web site. See
https://www.skeeve.com/3b1/ for brief descriptions. Of primary interest is
https://www.skeeve.com/3b1/full+lots-sw.img.gz which has the following:

+ 12 disk foundation set
+ FIXDISK 2.0
+ development set
+ documentation preparation set
+ curses/terminfo end user disk
+ curses development set disk
+ enhanced editors disk
+ cryptograhy set disks
+ 3 login windows via inittab
+ ksh88
+ The Georgia Tech 'se' screen editor
+ gzip 1.24a
+ gnu make 2.75
+ gnu tar 1.13
+ gawk 2.15.4
+ gcc 2.5.8
+ improved df from comp.sources.3b1
+ uuencode and uudecode from comp.sources.3b1
+ patch version 2.0.0

/etc/profile has been modified to put /usr/local/bin into $PATH
before the standard directories, and to set the interrupt character
to ^C and the kill character to ^U, as per modern conventions.

In addition, https://www.skeeve.com/3b1/big-empty.img.gz is a large disk
with an empty filesystem for mounting as a second disk. It can be used
for development or whatever else you want. (mount /dev/fp012 /mnt)

Source code for gzip, gnu tar, gnu make, df, uuencode and patch are
included. GCC, gawk and SE came from the various 3B1 archives.

I believe that the last version of GCC 3.x still supported the 3B1, but
bootstrapping it is more than I have time for.

Enjoy,

Arnold
--
Aharon (Arnold) Robbins arnold AT skeeve DOT com

J Booth

Jan 21, 2021, 5:18:00 PM1/21/21
Excellent Arnold! This should be great for anyone who wants to just get up and running on FreeBee and try things out. Thanks for putting this together!

Jesse

Aharon Robbins

Jan 29, 2021, 5:39:24 AM1/29/21
I have updated the disk image with:

+ diffutils 2.17
+ Brian Kernighan's current awk
+ GDB 3.5 (doesn't work so well)

Efforts to build a newer GDB failed, due to not enough virtual address
space to compile some of the files. Sorry.

Enjoy,

Arnold

In article <rubhbs$1op4$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,

DoN. Nichols

Feb 7, 2021, 5:12:09 PM2/7/21
On 2021-01-29, Aharon Robbins <arn...@skeeve.com> wrote:
> I have updated the disk image with:
>
> + diffutils 2.17
> + Brian Kernighan's current awk
> + GDB 3.5 (doesn't work so well)
>
> Efforts to build a newer GDB failed, due to not enough virtual address
> space to compile some of the files. Sorry.
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Arnold

So -- this is why you were asking for more swap space. Maximum
virtual memory for the system is 4 MB, same as maximum physical memory.
If your compiler is needing more memory than that -- all the swap space
in the world won't help with this system.

Maybe a cross-compiler, on something which has bigger address
space would allow you to compile it and then move it to the 3B1 image.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: <BPdnic...@d-and-d.com> | (KV4PH) Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Aharon Robbins

Feb 8, 2021, 12:45:03 AM2/8/21
Hi Don.

In article <slrns20pal.ri...@Katana.d-and-d.com>,
DoN. Nichols <BPdnic...@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>On 2021-01-29, Aharon Robbins <arn...@skeeve.com> wrote:
>> I have updated the disk image with:
>>
>> + diffutils 2.17
>> + Brian Kernighan's current awk
>> + GDB 3.5 (doesn't work so well)
>>
>> Efforts to build a newer GDB failed, due to not enough virtual address
>> space to compile some of the files. Sorry.
>
> So -- this is why you were asking for more swap space. Maximum
>virtual memory for the system is 4 MB, same as maximum physical memory.
>If your compiler is needing more memory than that -- all the swap space
>in the world won't help with this system.

Indeed. I did manage to make a disk image with more swap space, but it
didn't help. The situation is even worse; it seems that maximum process
size is ~ 2.5 MB.

> Maybe a cross-compiler, on something which has bigger address
>space would allow you to compile it and then move it to the 3B1 image.

A friend is working on exactly this for me. It's a challenge, as only
really old GCC and binutils supported the 3B1. But I have high hopes he'll
(eventually) succeed. No ETA yet.

Thanks,