Cannot get the @ symbol to print properly

Jonathan Peart

Sep 12, 2020, 11:31:57 PM9/12/20
I recently was gifted a PC7300 and a 3B1 with all the manuals and some software. In the Unix terminal I've run into a behavior that I don't understand. This happens to me on both machines. When I type the @ symbol it prints the @ and also moves down to the next line.

In vi I can type ! and # but for some reason when I try to type @ the cursor jumps to the far left and erases everything in its way.

I connected from a laptop over the RS232 serial connection and I see the same behavior. I looked in my env but don't see anything obviously affecting the @ symbol.

Does anyone here know why this is happening and how to turn it off? It keeps corrupting any ascii transfers I do across the serial connection that have an @ in them.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Aharon Robbins

Sep 13, 2020, 9:54:30 AM9/13/20
Try
stty kill '^U'

to change the 'line kill' character. The old, old, old, very old
default for that used to be the @ sign.

I'm pretty sure that'll work, in which case you'll want to add
it to your .profile file so that it'll be set every time you login.

Arnold

In article <a4138b29-06cc-4e64...@googlegroups.com>,
--
Aharon (Arnold) Robbins arnold AT skeeve DOT com

Jonathan Peart

Sep 13, 2020, 4:20:52 PM9/13/20
Yes, that did work, like a charm. Thank you Aharon.

Jonathan