cpio restore to different location

Laurence Mayer

May 11, 2004, 3:29:31 AM5/11/04
Submitted-by: laur...@kashya.com (Laurence Mayer)

I am using: find . -print | cpio -ov > /dev/nst0
to backup. I would like to restore to other location
so not to write over the original.

Is this doable, if so how?

The command to restore I am using is: cpio -iv path_to_lost_file < /dev/nst0
but this writes to the original location.

Thanks
Laurence

Bengt Kleberg

May 12, 2004, 5:25:48 AM5/12/04
Submitted-by: bengt....@ericsson.com (Bengt Kleberg)

my reading of the cpio man page says that extracting will be relative to
the current directory.
imho, unless you are standing in the same directory when extracting, as
you where standing in when doing the backup, you should not be writing
to the old location.

bengt